PDA

View Full Version : First Visit to San Antonio

jiggy_55
04-09-2016, 02:45 AM
Hello everyone,

So there's a chance I will be in San Antonio for 1 night in May to watch a potential Western Conference Semifinals game (presumably it should be Spurs vs Thunder), and most likely the timing would be around a Game 5. I'm from the other side of the world and haven't been to the States in almost 20 years so haven't had the chance to ever watch an NBA game ever. It would probably be my one and only chance to see Timmy and Manu play, maybe to see Pop coach, etc...

I really don't know much about San Antonio, so I'm here just for some minor advice. Any recommended hotels in Downtown SA? Nothing too cheap or extremely fancy... I guess near the Riverwalk would be a decent location, and not too far from the AT&T Center?

And what about decent restaurants? Looking for a good recommendation at the Riverwalk also, maybe some kind of steakhouse or Mexican? I have no idea but all recommendations welcome!

Lastly, any specific must-see sites to visit other than taking a stroll by the Riverwalk, and seeing the Alamodome?

Thanks in advance for any tips I can get :flag:!

jiggy_55
04-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Anyone??

LongtimeSpursFan
04-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Downtown is a great spot. Plenty of things to do. If you looking for Mexican food try Mi Tierra, but its a tourist trap. Hotel Valencia is pretty nice and they have a cool happy hour/music in the early evening.

gambit1990
04-09-2016, 03:38 PM
the riverwalk and alamo are shit.

check out atpearl.com.

san antonio isn't that great of a city but a lot of it is being revitalized. there's some cool bars. restaurants close way too early here though.

SouthernFried
04-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Most new folk love downtown San Antonio and the Riverwalk. There is a ton of stuff going on down there. Great restaurants, music, etc... Most of us locals avoid it like the plague, mostly because of all the tourists enjoying all the stuff going on down there ;)

I still recommend it for people new to San Antonio. It's what many come for. As far as recommendations for food and lodging, a lot of us don't actually go down there to eat, so you might find better recommendations from someplace like Trip Advisor.

It ain't that close to the AT&T center tho (not that far, but too far to walk.) Check on buses/cabs that leave from downtown and go there. I'm sure there is a regular scheduled bus route to games from downtown. Couldn't tell you the when, where, how's of it all tho. Look on the internet.

Have fun...there IS a lot to do ;)

spurs10
04-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Downtown is a great spot. Plenty of things to do. If you looking for Mexican food try Mi Tierra, but its a tourist trap. Hotel Valencia is pretty nice and they have a cool happy hour/music in the early evening. The Gunter is an historical hotel downtown if you want a cool older place. All the Robert Johnson recordings were done there. I would just get online and check out the Hilton, Omni, etc for deals..... Hotels on the Riverwalk. I think Mi Tierra is also a good choice because of the bakery and surrounding markets are quintessential San Antonio...fun stuff. Have a great time!

spurs10
04-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Most new folk love downtown San Antonio and the Riverwalk. There is a ton of stuff going on down there. Great restaurants, music, etc... Most of us locals avoid it like the plague, mostly because of all the tourists enjoying all the stuff going on down there ;)

I still recommend it for people new to San Antonio. It's what many come for. As far as recommendations for food and lodging, a lot of us don't actually go down there to eat, so you might find better recommendations from someplace like Trip Advisor.

It ain't that close to the AT&T center tho (not that far, but too far to walk.) Check on buses/cabs that leave from downtown and go there. I'm sure there is a regular scheduled bus route to games from downtown. Couldn't tell you the when, where, how's of it all tho. Look on the internet.

Have fun...there IS a lot to do ;) Yeah it's possible some hotels will have a shuttle to the AT&T Center.

JeffDuncan
04-09-2016, 04:01 PM
I don't know about hotels. Somebody help this Spurs fan out!

A place to eat? Any Whataburger! haha Again, not my area of expertise. Calling all Spurs gourmets!

See the Alamo. So that you can say you've seen the Alamo.

You could go up in the Tower of the Americas. There's a restaurant at the top but I only know it's there.

San Fernando Cathedral is worth a look. Lots of history there.

What else, guys?

JeffDuncan
04-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Mi Tierra, skip it. Too dam' crowded, and the food is not good enough to make up for it.

La Margarita restaurant is in Market Square near Mi Tierra, less crowded, and the food is as good or better.

Taco Cabana is a local chain, usually good. It varies from one location to another, the way chains do.

But man, there's more taco joints around than your grandma could shake a stick at.

If you've got an Android device, look on Google Play for the VIA app. It'll give you all the bus routes, the bus system map, etc.

tholdren
04-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Best hotel to stay on Riverwalk?

Best tat shop on Riverwalk?

Best bar with live - NO MARIACHI or RAP - music?

Any place to gamble?

EVAY
04-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Without an idea of your interests and expected outlay preferences, it is hard to suggest things.

One thing that you might look at, however, is the Hotel Emma at the Pearl Brewery Complex. It is fascinating, upscale while historic in character (Lobby of the hotel includes the vats of the original brewery that was located there), but newly opened and well-appointed.

The AT&T Center is NOT near downtown so there is no way you can get from a downtown hotel to the game without transportation of some sort.

My recommendation would be to decide what you are willing to pay, and try to call the hotel to see if they can help arrange transportation.

I am allergic to hot peppers so I'm no good at Mexican restaurant recommendations. There is a cool new restaurant in the Hotel Emma called 'Supper' that is open for lots of meals.

There are several very high end restaurants downtown (like Bliss) or on the Riverwalk, but plan on putting out big bucks for them if you go there. The Fig Tree Restaurant on the Riverwalk used to have great continental cuisine, but it has been so long I don't know if it is even open. Tons of touristy places with acceptable food right on the riverwalk.

Your biggest challenge, depending on where you stay, will be transportation.

If you are looking forward to seeing the Alamo - prepare to be disappointed. It has been surrounded by downtown San Antonio and it is impossible, without prior knowledge or a superb imagination, to figure what it must have looked like in the time and setting of its historical significance. Someone else suggested the San Fernando Cathedral - it honestly is a very good example of the cultural history of the city.

You will likely enjoy the tenor of the Riverwalk. Go there, mix with the folks down there, and get a feel for the way people enjoy themselves here. Don't expect to find too many locals, though.

If you want info. on restaurants, etc. outside of that area, you will probably get a lot more help.

tholdren
04-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Looking for a high end hotel - pool, spa, restaurant on site, fitness center, bar. $ doesn't matter on this one.

Looking for live entertainment close to said hotel.

sasaint
04-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Anyone??

Without knowing your age or tastes or how long you will be in town, I can only share my personal preferences. Mi Tierra is a good, not great Mexican food restaurant. The atmosphere is very festive, and besides, I don't really know of any other Mexican restaurants to recommend right in the downtown area. Frankly, most of the "name" Mexican restaurants in San Antonio do not make my list of favorites; I strongly prefer hole-in-the-walls. I can recommend Piedras Negras just inside the freeway. For steaks, the Little Rhine steakhouse is very good. Beyond downtown, a favorite joint of the locals is Chris Madrid's for a pretty awesome burger called a Cheddar Cheesy. On the Riverwalk, itself, my favorite dish is shrimp Paesano at Paesano's. For a very good "home-style" breakfast go to the Guenther House.

As for accommodations, I have stayed at both Marriotts; you can't go wrong there. For more atmosphere try the Menger or The St. Anthony.

If you enjoy history/architecture and you have the time, take a half-day tour of the Mission Trail, a series of 4 (excluding the Alamo) early 18th century Spanish missions, including a nice Visitor Center at Mission San Jose that has a short, free film and some interesting exhibits. The San Antonio missions were recently accorded the status of World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

I hope you have a great time in San Antonio. It is a city with a unique character.

ElNono
04-09-2016, 05:22 PM
If it's a nice day, Tower of the Americas is a nice spot to visit, and just a small walk away from the Alamo and Riverwalk...

Spurtacular
04-09-2016, 05:50 PM
And what about decent restaurants? Looking for a good recommendation at the Riverwalk also, maybe some kind of steakhouse or Mexican?

I don't know San Antonio; but I do know Texas. Generally speaking, the Mexican food joints are great. I'm sure you could get a ton of good recommendations. Steakhouses are sort of a generic American thing that are especially the best around Kansas City I hear. When you're in Texas, you want to consider barbecue joints that sell the gamut of meats in combos (including brisket). And the best are often the 'hole-in-the-wall- joints. You'll also want to probably get advice on food nearby the AT&T center for before and/or after the game; places that sell quick bites such as taco stands and what not. I imagine, there might be a couple brisket and ribs vendors, which would be my food of choice.

Ditty
04-09-2016, 05:51 PM
A lot of cool very nice places at the Pearl and Southtown. Pics De Gallo just outside of downtown has some pretty good Mexican food and not that touresty compared to Mi Tierra and La Magarita. Fago De Chao is amazing Brazilian steakhouse. $50 per person during regular hours. $25 during lunch hours. You can sign up for their eclub and get $25 off your next visit online. As for hotels might need to look up the ones on Expedia for ratings of the hotels. Seems like there is a lot of very nice hotels downtown. Check out six flags fiesta Texas also! They have a top golf and making an indoor skydiving place right next to it that's almost open.

sasaint
04-09-2016, 06:12 PM
San Antonio is not a great BBQ town, but if you must... Augie's is pretty close to downtown, and it is good.

Ditty
04-09-2016, 06:33 PM
San Antonio is not a great BBQ town, but if you must... Augie's is pretty close to downtown, and it is good.

I agree, probably the best is Rudy's BBQ which is really good but you find that anywhere in the state. Can find some decent hole in the wall places around the city, but my favorite is the smoke shack on Broadway. Something about that place makes me wanting to keep coming back. The best BBQ in the area is Blacks BBQ in Lockhart imo. The jumbo beef rib is the most amazing piece of meat I've ever put in my mouth (that's what she said). Been to Augies once and they ran out of brisket so had to get the pulled pork sand which that I didn't care about. Also the Spurs were getting their ass kicked by the Pelicans the last game of the season last year when I went to go eat there with some friends so that didn't help.

SpursforSix
04-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Check out the Alamo. But be sure to allow yourself a couple of hours.
For great Mexican, check out On the Border.

SpursforSix
04-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Looking for a high end hotel - pool, spa, restaurant on site, fitness center, bar. $ doesn't matter on this one.

Looking for live entertainment close to said hotel.

Omni la Mansion del Rio

HarlemHeat37
04-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Best hotel to stay on Riverwalk?

Best tat shop on Riverwalk?

Best bar with live - NO MARIACHI or RAP - music?

Any place to gamble?

:lmao what a surprise..

Spurtacular
04-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Dude likes his music harmoniously sang in English. I don't see the problem. But let's make sure we call him out as a racist...

D_Admiral
04-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Stay at the St Anthony hotel, and eat at bohanans (excellent) or fogo de chao

UNT Eagles 2016
04-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Downtown is a great spot. Plenty of things to do. If you looking for Mexican food try Mi Tierra, but its a tourist trap. Hotel Valencia is pretty nice and they have a cool happy hour/music in the early evening.
Mi Tierra is not a tourist trap, the mariachi guys and pan dulces are optional. The enchiladas are enormous, delicious and only $2.99 each. Just don't buy the plate dinners, those are overpriced. Love Mi Tierra and go there every time I go back home. They're open 24 hours as well and the service is really nice.

gambit1990
04-09-2016, 07:24 PM
tower of the americas >>> the alamo

say you're going to the restaurant/bar and you don't have to pay to go up. happy hour up there is great. the bar's called bar 601 :toast i know a chef who works at the restaurant, it's called chart house.

the riverwalk really isn't that cool, but i guess as a visitor you'd get to see more of the city than not going there.

sasaint
04-09-2016, 07:26 PM
I agree, probably the best is Rudy's BBQ which is really good but you find that anywhere in the state. Can find some decent hole in the wall places around the city, but my favorite is the smoke shack on Broadway. Something about that place makes me wanting to keep coming back. The best BBQ in the area is Blacks BBQ in Lockhart imo. The jumbo beef rib is the most amazing piece of meat I've ever put in my mouth (that's what she said). Been to Augies once and they ran out of brisket so had to get the pulled pork sand which that I didn't care about. Also the Spurs were getting their ass kicked by the Pelicans the last game of the season last year when I went to go eat there with some friends so that didn't help.

Rudy's is my favorite place in SA, too. :tu Augie's was hailed as The Best in town by a very good friend (and a pretty reliable foodie). It definitely did not fill that bill, but it was good enough if you are stuck downtown and need a fix. You and I have opposite dining experiences there. I spent a long time in Tennessee, so I shy away from pulled pork in Texas. I had the Brisket at Augie's, and it was good - not great, but good. Plus I was there with a bunch of guys - good experience. I prefer dry rub, so I used the BBQ sauce sparingly. It seemed okay, unremarkable.

My wife and I have been planning a weekend BBQ binge getaway to Lockhart for some time, but we haven't made it yet. Looking forward to it, soon. Talking BBQ always makes me wanna indulge immediately!

tholdren
04-09-2016, 08:23 PM
:lmao what a surprise..

I thought you'd be more of a challenge to take the bait

tholdren
04-09-2016, 08:24 PM
tower of the americas >>> the alamo

say you're going to the restaurant/bar and you don't have to pay to go up. happy hour up there is great. the bar's called bar 601 :toast i know a chef who works at the restaurant, it's called chart house.

the riverwalk really isn't that cool, but i guess as a visitor you'd get to see more of the city than not going there.

Where would the best place to go to do a "pub crawl" or something of the sort, if Riverwalk is out?

Spurs9
04-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Hotel Emma just opened at the pearl and looks unreal tbh, probably expensive.
http://www.thehotelemma.com/
Hotel Valencia is reasonably priced right by alot of stuff downtown. Bohannons steakhouse is across the street. Esquire tavern is a cool place, 1919 bar, il songo at the pearl has great italian food. Biga on the banks, feast, luke. Plenty of nice places around SA to stay and eat. Dont get any hotel close to att center its in the hood. Downtown stay is the best bet and isnt too far from att center. The riverwalk has been expanded and there are alot of places on it. We have uber and lyft now if you need to get around wiyhout a car.

pgardn
04-09-2016, 08:53 PM
You wanna do something?

I am going to tell you what might become a huge destination that's not finished. The 96 miles of bike and walking trails that will surround this city all the way round. I will give you a tour and then we will run. We will camp in the underbrush with the homeless. Then we will eat the best Mexican food on the Southwest side and then you will go to the game completely exhausted but horribly full.

Thank you Phil Hardberger.

Cmon you jack wagons, get your rears outside.

Spurs9
04-09-2016, 08:58 PM
You wanna do something?

I am going to tell you what might become a huge destination that's not finished. The 96 miles of bike and walking trails that will surround this city all the way round. I will give you a tour and then we will run. We will camp in the underbrush with the homeless. Then we will eat the best Mexican food on the Southwest side and then you will go to the game completely exhausted but horribly full.

Thank you Phil Hardberger.

Details on the trail? Wasnt aware of that

nym
04-09-2016, 09:15 PM
I went last year for a game and stayed at the Gunther. It was nice enough and being downtown it was around all the tourist spots. I took a cab to the game and got there with no problems. But the cab back to the hotel was a nightmare cause there was insane line to catch a cab back.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Where would the best place to go to do a "pub crawl" or something of the sort, if Riverwalk is out?

Southtown.

pgardn
04-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Details on the trail? Wasnt aware of that

Best kept secret in SA IMO.

For people who need outside activity.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndRec/ParksFacilities/Trails/GreenwayTrails.aspx

When finished I will ride the whole thing while stopping for food and beer.
Oh, I already have.

The Leon Creek and Salado Creek runs are great.

pgardn
04-09-2016, 11:09 PM
You wanna do something?

Thank you Phil Hardberger/ Howard Peek

spurs10
04-10-2016, 12:12 AM
I went last year for a game and stayed at the Gunther. It was nice enough and being downtown it was around all the tourist spots. I took a cab to the game and got there with no problems. But the cab back to the hotel was a nightmare cause there was insane line to catch a cab back. Love that hotel. Again don't any of the major downtown hotels have a shuttle?

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 01:34 AM
Wow, I just woke up and saw all this! I can't thank you all enough for these awesome recommendations! I'll start searching on all the hotel names and restaurants recommended to me now. Very excited to visit and see my Spurs :toast

I understand that each has his/her own personal preferences and without knowing much about me you wouldn't know what to recommend, but hearing all your personal recommendations is more than enough!

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2016, 01:53 AM
Wow, I just woke up and saw all this! I can't thank you all enough for these awesome recommendations! I'll start searching on all the hotel names and restaurants recommended to me now. Very excited to visit and see my Spurs :toast

I understand that each has his/her own personal preferences and without knowing much about me you wouldn't know what to recommend, but hearing all your personal recommendations is more than enough!
Where do you live in Lebanon, bro?

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 01:57 AM
Any thoughts on the Holiday Inn Riverwalk? Seems to be in the same price range or lower than the Gunter and other hotels suggested here, there's a discount on it today. Looks really good in photos too!

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Where do you live in Lebanon, bro?

I'm from Beirut, but I don't live there currently.

apalisoc_9
04-10-2016, 02:00 AM
If I were you op, id leave Lebanon ASAP.

Too much Shia-Sunni-Israel tension in that area. Wouldnt be surprised if ISIS blitz lebanon once their 10 years olds of today turn 16+ and start fghting.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2016, 02:04 AM
I'm from Beirut, but I don't live there currently.

I visited Beirut, Tripoli, Jabal Moussa, etc a few years ago..beautiful country, tbh..

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 02:33 AM
I visited Beirut, Tripoli, Jabal Moussa, etc a few years ago..beautiful country, tbh..

Thanks, it really is a beautiful country. Shame what they've done to it... Politics in the region have fucked it, and politics locally in Lebanon is one huge scam

What were you doing in Lebanon?

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2016, 02:52 AM
Thanks, it really is a beautiful country. Shame what they've done to it... Politics in the region have fucked it, and politics locally in Lebanon is one huge scam

What were you doing in Lebanon?

My dad is 1/2 Lebanese, he lived there before moving to NY..he went back for the first time in 25 years and I went along with him, figured it would be cool to see the Mid-East, and it definitely lived up to what I expected, aesthetically..

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 05:15 AM
My dad is 1/2 Lebanese, he lived there before moving to NY..he went back for the first time in 25 years and I went along with him, figured it would be cool to see the Mid-East, and it definitely lived up to what I expected, aesthetically..

That's really cool

nym
04-10-2016, 06:19 AM
Love that hotel. Again don't any of the major downtown hotels have a shuttle?

I liked it as well and when I go back to San Antonio to attend Spurs games in the future I would stay again.

When I was there I didn't see any option for a shuttle from the hotel. When I asked about getting to the arena they called me a shuttle.

The staff were really nice when I was there. I had never been to SA before that so I had used everyone's suggestions for places to eat (can't remember any sorry) and things to do until I went to the game. The front desk was also super helpful as I was losing my voice and they without my even asking gave me tea, lemon, & honey to help me feel better. My experience was great so I would definitely recommend the place to others.

Rob123
04-10-2016, 11:59 AM
If you want to enjoy San Antonio and you're presumably not on a budget here is what I would do.

1. Stay at the Hotel Valencia
2. First night Uber to the Pearl and visit Southerliegh, La Gloria, Feast, Brooklynite, Hotel Emma, Cured etc.
3. Night of the Spurs Game uber out to the stadium, then hit the river walk after because if it's a win the river walk should be a fun place to be at.
4. If you have more time then that definitely visit the rim on the north side of town and check out all of the great new stuff they've built out there.

The north side of town is where all of the good stuff for locals is, but for a spurs centered visit you should probably stay down town. Unless you're trying to run into a Spurs player, that's way more likely on the north side of town since they all live out here.

tholdren
04-10-2016, 12:01 PM
If you want to enjoy San Antonio and you're presumably not on a budget here is what I would do.

2. First night Uber to the Pearl and visit Southerliegh, La Gloria, Feast, Brooklynite, Hotel Emma, Cured etc.
3. Night of the Spurs Game uber out to the stadium, then hit the river walk after because if it's a win the river walk should be a fun place to be at.
4. If you have more time then that definitely visit the rim on the north side of town and check out all of the great new stuff they've built out there.

The north side of town is where all of the good stuff for locals is, but for a spurs centered visit you should probably stay down town. Unless you're trying to run into a Spurs player, that's way more likely on the north side of town since they all live out here.
thanks

Spur|n|Austin
04-10-2016, 01:18 PM

I would advise against ubering to the game - it's pretty impossible to get an uber out of there. At least in my experience, not sure if there's a better way that I'm missing.

Slomo
04-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Both the Gunther and the Valencia are good. I personally prefer the Valencia. Both are not cheap, but great location and excellent staff.

Rent a car. That's the best way to get around in the US outside of the large east coast cities. Car rental is cheap in the US and driving there is fun and safe. A car will also allow you to explore SA and its surroundings and the city is pretty spread out so you definitely need to have an independent mode of transportation.

Blake
04-10-2016, 01:32 PM
The Gunter is an historical hotel downtown if you want a cool older place.

The Gunther is kinda cool to walk through, but sucks very hard to stay at, imo.

I prefer the Menger for the old style feel any way.

BD24
04-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Most of these fuckers probably haven't ever visited SA and like to hop on the narrative of "sa is a shitty city" although the high economical growth and all of the people moving here tend to disagree with the faggots.

Anyway I would recommend the Guenther House and Magnolia Pancake Haus for breakfast. Both are reasonably priced and very good. Riverwalk is pretty decent time, alot of good restaurants down there, some shit ones as well though that you may want to avoid. I would check yelp before eating anywhere.

As far as where to stay I would recommend either downtown or somewhere on the north side. North Central is probably best so you won't be to far from anything. Stay away from the Southside and East side, unfourtanetly the Spurs stadium is on the east side, but outside of that I wouldn't recommend going over there.

Think some others here mentioned Enchanted Rock if you are into doing some hiking. Generally a pretty good time. You can go Kayaking downtown on the river if thats something your into, can also rent bikes downtown to ride.

Lots of good wineries in and around San Antonio. Heres a good list of some bars and restaurants.
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...in-san-antonio (https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bars-in-san-antonio-best-restaurants-in-san-antonio)

A couple Restaurants and bars not mentioned that are worth checking out are The Cove and Cowboys Dancehall. Not alot of choice as far as clubs go in San Antonio, but if you are into that The Kremlin and Lush are both pretty decent. Pearl Brewery area of downtown has some good bars and restaurants as well.There is also an awesome rooftop bar called Paramour that I would reccomend in the north part of downtown. Acenar is also an awesome Mexican restaurant along the riverwalk, kind of farther away from the tourist part though so you can avoid all of that nonsense.

Hope this is helpful, feel free to inbox me when your here if you have any other questions.

Blake
04-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Most of these fuckers probably haven't ever visited SA and like to hop on the narrative of "sa is a shitty city" although the high economical growth and all of the people moving here tend to disagree with the faggots.

Anyway I would recommend the Guenther House and Magnolia Pancake Haus for breakfast. Both are reasonably priced and very good. Riverwalk is pretty decent time, alot of good restaurants down there, some shit ones as well though that you may want to avoid. I would check yelp before eating anywhere.

As far as where to stay I would recommend either downtown or somewhere on the north side. North Central is probably best so you won't be to far from anything. Stay away from the Southside and East side, unfourtanetly the Spurs stadium is on the east side, but outside of that I wouldn't recommend going over there.

Think some others here mentioned Enchanted Rock if you are into doing some hiking. Generally a pretty good time. You can go Kayaking downtown on the river if thats something your into, can also rent bikes downtown to ride.

Lots of good wineries in and around San Antonio. Heres a good list of some bars and restaurants.
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...in-san-antonio (https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bars-in-san-antonio-best-restaurants-in-san-antonio)

A couple Restaurants and bars not mentioned that are worth checking out are The Cove and Cowboys Dancehall. Not alot of choice as far as clubs go in San Antonio, but if you are into that The Kremlin and Lush are both pretty decent. Pearl Brewery area of downtown has some good bars and restaurants as well.There is also an awesome rooftop bar called Paramour that I would reccomend in the north part of downtown. Acenar is also an awesome Mexican restaurant along the riverwalk, kind of farther away from the tourist part though so you can avoid all of that nonsense.

Hope this is helpful, feel free to inbox me when your here if you have any other questions.

Pretty sure op said he's just staying one night

BD24
04-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Pretty sure op said he's just staying one night
I suppose I misread the op if thats the case. Flying half way around the world to only stay one night though? Dang.

Regardless though still some good info even if you are only staying for one night.

spurs10
04-10-2016, 02:05 PM

The north side of town is where all of the good stuff for locals is, but for a spurs centered visit you should probably stay down town. Unless you're trying to run into a Spurs player, that's way more likely on the north side of town since they all live out here. What is the 'rim' you are referring to? Any tips on good places to hang on the north side would be appreciate- have a friend moving there. Especially good neighborhoods for young people.

spurs10
04-10-2016, 02:08 PM
The Gunther is kinda cool to walk through, but sucks very hard to stay at, imo.

I prefer the Menger for the old style feel any way. Heard nothing but good things about the Menger.

Blake
04-10-2016, 02:29 PM
I suppose I misread the op if thats the case. Flying half way around the world to only stay one night though? Dang.

Regardless though still some good info even if you are only staying for one night.

Probably trying to squeeze in multiple locations, if I were to guess.

I wouldn't recommend Enchanted Rock to someone flying in from half way around the world either, but who knows

BD24
04-10-2016, 02:33 PM

I wouldn't recommend Enchanted Rock to someone flying in from half way around the world either, but who knows
No probably not. But there is still some good info on local restaurants and bars for him to visit. More informative than the faggots who say. SA sucks lol.

Spurs9
04-10-2016, 02:36 PM
What is the 'rim' you are referring to? Any tips on good places to hang on the north side would be appreciate- have a friend moving there. Especially good neighborhoods for young people.
Its across from La Cantera, its basically just a big shopping center. La Cantera is a nice outdoor mall, Fiesta Texas is on the property directly next door to la cantera, so you can see the coasters from the parking lot. They have also built next to La Cantera the Eilan, which is supposed to look like italy with shopping, living and dining. San Antonio is more or less just a big place to shop or eat sadly.

For neighborhoods mainly the north side tbh.

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 02:54 PM

Yes exactly, I'll be visiting my younger brother in Boston and will be squeezing in a few cities on my short trip. SA only works out for 1-2 nights and I'm there just to have a quick look at the city and primarily to watch my Spurs!

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Thanks for all this! As mentioned by others my trip would be 1-2 nights only, won't manage much but all ur tips are appreciated

jiggy_55
04-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Is 'the Gunter' everyone refers to called the Sheraton Gunter?

tholdren
04-10-2016, 03:16 PM
How about westin Riverwalk or mokara?

spurs10
04-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Is 'the Gunter' everyone refers to called the Sheraton Gunter? Yes it is. Apparently Sheraton bought it- it used to be just The Gunter Hotel. I like the place for the feel, but didn't think the room was anything special. I would look at a lot of them and decide according to the price. Also the "Uber" car service is something to look into. It is an alternative to to taxis and might be more reliable. People use their own cars and provide rides. You download the app and start an account. The ride is paid for from your credit card and you just get in and go. You don't have to exchange money, but I usually tip- it's not required. Perhaps you could find an "Uber" driver that will take you both ways- tipping well would be advised! Just know they will not be able to drive up the front of the AT&T Center. The traffic to and from games is insane so a shuttle or a rental might be the way to go.

jiggy_55
04-11-2016, 01:21 AM
Yes it is. Apparently Sheraton bought it- it used to be just The Gunter Hotel. I like the place for the feel, but didn't think the room was anything special. I would look at a lot of them and decide according to the price. Also the "Uber" car service is something to look into. It is an alternative to to taxis and might be more reliable. People use their own cars and provide rides. You download the app and start an account. The ride is paid for from your credit card and you just get in and go. You don't have to exchange money, but I usually tip- it's not required. Perhaps you could find an "Uber" driver that will take you both ways- tipping well would be advised! Just know they will not be able to drive up the front of the AT&T Center. The traffic to and from games is insane so a shuttle or a rental might be the way to go.

Great, thanks for the info!

I'm aware of Uber, it exists all over the world now lol

jiggy_55
05-02-2016, 05:44 AM
Hey guys, so the date is getting closer and I'm hoping to watch Game 5 in SA! A question on seating in the stadium, based on your experiences at the AT&T Center, is it preferable to sit behind the benches or across them? Any specific good spots? I'll be looking to sit somewhere in the middle sector hopefully, which means the sectors which are numbered in the 100s

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice I can get. So excited! :flag:

jiggy_55
05-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Hey guys, so the date is getting closer and I'm hoping to watch Game 5 in SA! A question on seating in the stadium, based on your experiences at the AT&T Center, is it preferable to sit behind the benches or across them? Any specific good spots? I'll be looking to sit somewhere in the middle sector hopefully, which means the sectors which are numbered in the 100s

Anyone that can help with any tips on seating would be much appreciated!

Splits
05-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Depends how many rows up you are. If more than 5, it doesn't matter which side of the stadium you are on. I personally prefer corner floor seats opposite the Spurs bench because they're a) more affordable and b) you can observe everything that goes on during timeouts. Unless you are 1-2 rows behind the bench, you rarely can hear what is being said.

Bottom line, if you're in the 100s and not charters, does not matter which side of the floor.

jiggy_55
05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Depends how many rows up you are. If more than 5, it doesn't matter which side of the stadium you are on. I personally prefer corner floor seats opposite the Spurs bench because they're a) more affordable and b) you can observe everything that goes on during timeouts. Unless you are 1-2 rows behind the bench, you rarely can hear what is being said.

Bottom line, if you're in the 100s and not charters, does not matter which side of the floor.

Thanks dude

jiggy_55
05-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Absolutely great experience at Game 5!! despite the really poor result and ending (we had taken control in the 3rd!)...
It would be kind of insane for me to have attended possibly the last home game for Timmy and Manu - as my one and possibly only (who knows) ever visit/game in SA - I'm really hoping that I didn't.. Can't see them go out this way..
I am certain Pop will have them ready and focused for Game 6 and I'm sure we will find a way to win and bring it back home for a Game 7. They need to stop hesitating to shoot, and LMA needs to regain his shooting form and we'll be fine. I'm certain Patty/Manu or someone from that bench squad will step up in Game 6 as we really lacked bench support in Game 5..
:flag:

Spurs9
05-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Absolutely great experience at Game 5!! despite the really poor result and ending (we had taken control in the 3rd!)...
It would be kind of insane for me to have attended possibly the last home game for Timmy and Manu - as my one and possibly only (who knows) ever visit/game in SA - I'm really hoping that I didn't.. Can't see them go out this way..
I am certain Pop will have them ready and focused for Game 6 and I'm sure we will find a way to win and bring it back home for a Game 7. They need to stop hesitating to shoot, and LMA needs to regain his shooting form and we'll be fine. I'm certain Patty/Manu or someone from that bench squad will step up in Game 6 as we really lacked bench support in Game 5..
:flag:

Glad you had a good time, did you hit up any good places while in SA?

jiggy_55
05-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Glad you had a good time, did you hit up any good places while in SA?

I'm still here, leaving in a few hours. Unfortunately didn't have much time as I just got in yesterday afternoon. Walked around the riverwalk and got a little bit of a feel for it pre-game, then I was exhausted after the game as I took my time and waited in the stadium plus bought some things from the spurs shop. This morning walked around downtown and the riverwalk some more and visited the Guenther House which was recommended here and by my hotel for a nice breakfast, and it was excellent food.