PDA

View Full Version : Agree with mid, Manu is the key to beat this team...

ElNono
04-10-2016, 08:21 PM
And Pop knows too, tbh... notice how he didn't want to play him in the 4th in the last two games...

Spurs are fine, tbh, we just gotta prepare for the Cavs, we haven't played them much this season...

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-10-2016, 08:21 PM
too soon bro

midnightpulp
04-10-2016, 08:29 PM
I don't know if you're being ironic or think that Pop is actually doing some gamesmanship, but I'm done trying to find a guy on the Spurs who can step up in a game like this (Kawhi struggling, etc). The entire perimeter + backcourt rotation is a fuckin' grease fire offensively. Mills, Manure, D-League, Porker, Fathead, all shit.

I guess Kevin Martin has kind of showed something, but who cares.

slick'81
04-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Oooh k

Canyonero
04-10-2016, 08:31 PM
I expect Manu playing 30 mpg against the Dubs if we get to the WCF

ElNono
04-10-2016, 08:32 PM
I don't know if you're being ironic or think that Pop is actually doing some gamesmanship, but I'm done trying to find a guy on the Spurs who can step up in a game like this (Kawhi struggling, etc). The entire perimeter + backcourt rotation is a fuckin' grease fire offensively. Mills, Manure, D-League, Porker, Fathead, all shit.

I think he was trying to find that guy that will take ownership and rebel... he already knows Manu will be that guy when he needs him, but Manu is old, he won't deliver every time. Unfortunately, we don't have that guy in this roster this season, apparently, so it's going to have to be Gino again... it's ok to doubt he has another great series in him, but we'll wait and see.

Mnky
04-10-2016, 08:34 PM
We just don't need him to be such a good thing for the warriors tbh. Anything decent will be a big plus.

Keepin' it real
04-10-2016, 08:34 PM
I expect Manu playing 30 mpg against the Dubs if we get to the WCF

So that's gonna be like, what, 7 turnovers per game?

DarrinS
04-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Manu and Bobo

spursistan
04-10-2016, 08:37 PM
It is fuckin tragic how Mills/Green are making me miss Belinelli..

TheGreatYacht
04-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Yeah... We need Manure going at the Worriers 1 on 2 for a brick in the playoffs

DarrinS
04-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Yeah... We need Manure going at the Worriers 1 on 2 for a brick in the playoffs

The key is MVParker's lockdown defense on Curry

SouthernFried
04-10-2016, 08:41 PM
The main issue is slapping everyone in the face.

Parker and Green don't score...at all. 6 points total between the 2.

Manu had 8 points, Mills had 7 points. BOTH scored more than Parker and Green Combined. You cannot win much, if your 2 starting guards can't score.

Keepin' it real
04-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Parker and Green don't score...at all. 6 points total between the 2.

I don't think you know what "at all" means.

timtonymanu
04-10-2016, 08:53 PM
It is fuckin tragic how Mills/Green are making me miss Belinelli..

Tbh, even a guy like CoJo would be good against the Dubs. He's a much more respectable defender than Tony/Patty ever could be.

KimmyGib
04-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Not sure how you come to this conclusion. Manu, just like everyone else on the Spurs not named LMA or Boris, has shown nothing offensively against the Warriors this year.

dabom
04-10-2016, 09:27 PM
OP with the goods. :toast

DeRozan m8
04-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Pretty worrying we're relying on an untrustworthy old Manu if we're meant to win tbh

SAGirl
04-10-2016, 09:29 PM
And Pop knows too, tbh... notice how he didn't want to play him in the 4th in the last two games...

Spurs are fine, tbh, we just gotta prepare for the Cavs, we haven't played them much this season...
I am with you full in this one.
We got this! :lol

Floyd Pacquiao
04-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Go to line against the warriors in the playoffs
Manu
Green
Leonard
Boris
LMA

timtonymanu
04-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Manu
Green
Leonard
Boris
LMA

Pretty much. Just need Green to get his 3 point shot back consistently.

SAGirl
04-10-2016, 09:37 PM
I think he was trying to find that guy that will take ownership and rebel... he already knows Manu will be that guy when he needs him, but Manu is old, he won't deliver every time. Unfortunately, we don't have that guy in this roster this season, apparently, so it's going to have to be Gino again... it's ok to doubt he has another great series in him, but we'll wait and see.
I don't think he will have it for the amount of minutes it will take to rescue games like this and he may not have it every game. Hopefully he's not needed on that level (of saving a stuttering offense) every game or more than the 20-24 minutes. It really should be on Kawhi, then Tony, then Manu. Then hopefully one of the other guys is not the brickfest show we witnessed.

I think Pop knows the problem we have that is why he sadly let go of Butler, a guy I am sure they liked and got Kmart here. He can score, but he's no Manu. IMO, he's better to sub for Mills since they are similar players. We shall see, I am sure Pop knows what he has in his guys.I also don't think he would be satisfied with Kawhi and Tony tonight.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Pretty much. Just need Green to get his 3 point shot back consistently.

With a line up like that they can switch everything and not get abused in a mismatch. Somebody lock Danny in a gym

Timothy21
04-10-2016, 09:38 PM
thre is no key to find for beat this team...

SAGirl
04-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Tbh, even a guy like CoJo would be good against the Dubs. He's a much more respectable defender than Tony/Patty ever could be.
I have missed Cojo a lot.
I wasn't a Marco fan although he had the huge balls, but he always gave up so much more, net negative and part of the reason we lost so many games in the RS we should have won. Anyways, he helped us to a championship and I enjoyed that so I am grateful, but I don't miss him. We have missed Cojo though. Doing very well in Toronto. Tough guy, a competitor. Sure miss him. I'd take him over Mills TBH.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Honestly, you could probably name at least 3-4 "keys" that need to happen for the Spurs to beat them in a series..there definitely isn't just 1 or 2..

Capt Bringdown
04-10-2016, 09:50 PM
The Human Turnover machine to the rescue! Just ask the 2013 heat.

Gagnrath
04-10-2016, 09:52 PM
If Danny Green could shoot 25 % on wide open 3s this is an entirely different game.... WTF Danny? We don't need great from him we just need ok .... He also tends to keep his head in the game better when he is making shots.

dabom
04-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Turd Option 2015 vs the Clips is better? :lmao

Capt Bringdown
04-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Turd Option 2015 vs the Clips is better? :lmao

Obviously not. The Spurs don't have any good options vs the Warriors unfortunately.

ElNono
04-10-2016, 10:06 PM

I asked the 2014 heat and thunder, tbh

Capt Bringdown
04-10-2016, 10:07 PM
I asked the 2014 heat and thunder, tbh

Great. I'm sure the Warriors are scared shitless right now.

kobyz
04-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Stop with those pathetic homer threads, playing Manu and to thing he could be any positive will be a joke...

ElNono
04-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Great. I'm sure the Warriors are scared shitless right now.

It doesn't matter how they feel. Nobody else on this team (except perhaps Tim, but he's a bad matchup against the Dubs) wants to take ownership and lead when the shit hits the fan... I'm not saying Manu will be our savior, but he's a guy that will do that. Hopefully he has enough in the tank for one last great run, otherwise we're probably not going to get it done.

ElNono
04-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Stop with those pathetic homer threads, playing Manu and to thing he could be any positive will be a joke...

I thought you were gonna kill yourself...

UZER
04-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Save the Manu, save the world.

kaji157
04-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Manu
Green
Leonard
Boris
LMA

If we dont close games with this lineup i declare myself crazy.

kaji157
04-10-2016, 11:50 PM
This COULD BECOME an epic thread if happens... Please let it be Manus last great series.

itzsoweezee
04-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Manu
Green
Leonard
Boris
LMA

That's the lineup I wanted to see today, with West instead of Boris, of course. The closest we got was Mills instead of Green.

Hoops Czar
04-10-2016, 11:58 PM

If Manu is the key to beating the dubs like you say he is, then his stat lines for this game and last are pretty underwhelming even for a 38 yr old. Maybe you made a slight miscalculation there buddy. I don't see the guy averaging 10-12 point and 7 assists anytime soon.

Darius Bieber
04-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Sad thing for Manu is that he still has the mind of his prime-years, but the body of a 40 year old. That's why he always gets his turnovers. It's sad to finally realize you can no longer do the things you used to do... Especially since Manu was a beast. If somehow Manu can get his body to do just 30% of his prime-self, it'll be a gamechanger.

james evans
04-11-2016, 12:13 AM
With a line up like that they can switch everything and not get abused in a mismatch. Somebody lock Danny in a gym
Popovich isn't putting parker on the bench. That shit isn't gonna happen. He gonna continue to let pgs fuck him up on defense as he ads nothing on offense but dribbling and missed jumpers until he retires.

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Honestly, you could probably name at least 3-4 "keys" that need to happen for the Spurs to beat them in a series..there definitely isn't just 1 or 2..

No room for mistakes. And that's very hard with our frontcourt lately

ElNono
04-11-2016, 12:15 AM
If Manu is the key to beating the dubs like you say he is, then his stat lines for this game and last are pretty underwhelming even for a 38 yr old. Maybe you made a slight miscalculation there buddy. I don't see the guy averaging 10-12 point and 7 assists anytime soon.

Looking at our offense, it's not scoring he needs to do, just be a floor general and do actual playmaking, directing traffic and making sure everybody executes. The biggest failure of our offense is that half the time we don't know what we're running, or when a play breaks down, we turn into an iso machine, instead of penetrate and kick, pick and roll, etc. He doesn't even need to rack up assists directly, but get the ball moving, get the team moving... he's good at that.

EDIT: He's also like 2193082193821094732742398423798 times better handling the rock and dribbling a basketball than Danny Green, tbh. Love Danny and his defense, but his offense is just so putrid right now, he can't even do basic stuff.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-11-2016, 12:18 AM
Fuck it, just give Ginobili limited mins (12-18 per game) in the first two rounds. Then unleash the beast in the WCF

emanueldavidginobili
04-11-2016, 12:19 AM
Boris Diaw. We can match the dubs small ball and he would be able to kill anyone in the post, pretty much how Livingston does to our guys. Also yeah crazy Cojo would be able to help us out a lot he's also a penetrator and is fearless I'd take him over Patty any day, it's to bad

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Sad thing for Manu is that he still has the mind of his prime-years

An arm and a leg for Kawhi and LMA having Manu's mind. That would be enough to beat them.

gambit1990
04-11-2016, 12:32 AM
manu showed a lot tonight. would not mind starting him against golden state.

i don't want tony starting anymore. i'd rather miller back up patty... but pop wouldn't just not play parker sooo... his role should be to come off the bench looking solely to score. he's not chris paul and he needs to stop wanting to be. he needs to be effective without the ball.

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 12:57 AM
Parker...he's not chris paul and he needs to stop pretending to be him. he needs to be effective without the ball.

No homo but I'm starting to love this guy :bobo

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 01:00 AM
Looking at our offense, it's not scoring he needs to do, just be a floor general and do actual playmaking, directing traffic and making sure everybody executes. The biggest failure of our offense is that half the time we don't know what we're running, or when a play breaks down, we turn into an iso machine, instead of penetrate and kick, pick and roll, etc. He doesn't even need to rack up assists directly, but get the ball moving, get the team moving... he's good at that.

EDIT: He's also like 2193082193821094732742398423798 times better handling the rock and dribbling a basketball than Danny Green, tbh. Love Danny and his defense, but his offense is just so putrid right now, he can't even do basic stuff.
POP didn't have a leader out there. I don't know if it was a test for Kawhi and LMA since you can never tell with CIA Pop. The other night he had Patty being the leader in crunch tIme in a game we lost and it was a disaster, so Pop is not above sacrificing games to teach younger players lessons. We have seen him have Simmons struggle with his ball handling in crunch time, etc. But he wanted to put guys in situations.
Which is why we can't take these results with so much doom and gloom. Even this late in the season Pop is still developing younger players.

However, games he is not sacrificing for the sake of development, the vets will be needed. Manu will be needed and I agree with you. Tony and Tim too for that same reason.

DMC
04-11-2016, 01:02 AM
Why does anyone think a key player needs to be a starter? Spurs historically do better when the 2nd unit brings the tempo up.

The death of this team in the playoffs will no doubt be the pace brought on by necessity when Tony is on the floor. You can see when he tries to run up-tempo offense the entire team is lost. Tony is long accustomed to walking the ball up and surveying the paint to look for openings. Now he's not taking openings because he's switched to "feed LaMarcus" via Pop's command bot. It's forced and looks that way. That's fine, but it takes away the only thing Tony was best in the entire league at: attacking the rim in transition and that "you didn't get set fast enough" dart through the lane, drawing contact and possibly a 3pt play. We don't need him doing that every trip but it needs to be in the arsenal. It's not. The opponent isn't afraid of Tony being in the paint these days, even scrubs snuff him out at the rim or he misses shots he used to make in his sleep. However, even though Tony cannot attack like he once did, he still gets into that setup as if he might, but he doesn't, so it leaves him looking for a bail out.

And let's not let the rest of the guys off the hook. There was no "find a better shot" ball movement. There was "find me a better shot" head fakes and putting the ball on the floor. It was all iso plays without iso calls. Perhaps the rotations are why, you could see no one had a fucking clue where to be and Pop seemed to enjoy that, but Manu and Tony were visibly pissed off about it more than once.

Ball movement is the only thing that's going to beat the Warriors. They are too good defensively to beat with iso plays and dribble drive penetration time and again. If that would work the Thunder would beat them. We'll have to have ball movement and trust our shooters, and live with the results like we did in the Finals 2014. KL is going to have to drop his nuts again, and stop second guessing himself. He needs to just go out and play, stop looking to upgrade all the time and take the open look. We'll all live with the results of a shot taken in rhythm over that last second heave from the corner or pass out from the paint to basically no one.

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 01:03 AM
Notorious Manu fan but Tony hater. Too biased IMO . Will post very biased opinions on games he didn't watch. Ughh, nit a fan if gambit

gambit1990
04-11-2016, 01:17 AM
:toast

i just wanted the spurs to play to their full potential. this is pretty much the same team that won in 2014... except we added la. we can play better.

Notorious Manu fan but Tony hater. Too biased IMO . Will post very biased opinions on games he didn't watch. Ughh, nit a fan if gambit
damn, you're a bitch for saying that tbh. i commented in a thread because i was mentioned in it. I DIDN'T EVEN SAY ANYTHING IN REGARDS TO THE GAME THAT I SAID I MISSED. so you're wrong.

i do love manu, he's my favorite player.

at this point i do also hate parker. because his style of play. i truly think we play more team orientated basketball with him off the court.

i never always hated parker. i said on here he was a top 3 mvp candidate a few years ago.

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 01:21 AM

It's so hard not to get totally frustrated when your team has games like this, it's also human nature to find an excuse to laugh in bad nights.

Just trolling. But the Parker-not-pretending-to-be-CP3 was at least a little bit funny.

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 01:23 AM

i just wanted the spurs to play to their full potential. this is pretty much the same team that won in 2014... except we added la. we can play better.

Of course we can. The Spurs will look a lot better in playoffs. :flag:

gilmor
04-11-2016, 01:24 AM
Actually why hate on a player? Just discuss strategies on how to win the ball game.. without the hatred..

If Porker sucks, just fucking don't play him.. or call Pop to tell him not to play Porker..

no point bitching about this for more than 2-3 years..

DenialTwist
04-11-2016, 01:31 AM
Oh my goodness. No. It doesn't matter if fans complain about Pop playing Parker and Manu against the Warriors. He doesn't care and will live and die with them. Even if it means another elimination in the playoffs. They need to find a new pg this summer or it's going to be a long time before they ever get back to the WCF.

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 01:40 AM

damn, you're a bitch for saying that tbh. i commented in a thread because i was mentioned in it. I DIDN'T EVEN SAY ANYTHING IN REGARDS TO THE GAME THAT I SAID I MISSED. so you're wrong.

i do love manu, he's my favorite player.

at this point i do also hate parker. because his style of play. i truly think we play more team orientated basketball with him off the court.

i never always hated parker. i said on here he was a top 3 mvp candidate a few years ago.
I would respect your opinion more if I didn't see you give very biased Mills over Parker takes over a game you did not watch. I am critical of Tony and mills both but about games I watched. I only hold you to standards I do myself if that makes me a bitch for you so be it. It wasn't so much the bias that got me as we all have our own. It was that you did not watch the game and witness the pathetic shitty play of Mills that game to be making that much of a one sided opinion. Otherwise we cool.

houston spurs fan
04-11-2016, 01:45 AM

Has to be gamesmanship. I mean c'mon, Boban is lost out there and Pop gave him run tonight in the pivotal point of the game. This was like preseason football game. Off tackle right, off tackle left, screen pass, punt. Pop doesn't want to show any hand, surprised Bonner made no appearance. It's going to be heavy, heavy doses of Diaw and LMA in the playoffs...no DWest or (sad to say) TD...

gambit1990
04-11-2016, 01:52 AM
I would respect your opinion more if I didn't see you give very biased Mills over Parker takes over a game you did not watch. I am critical of Tony and mills both but about games I watched. I only hold you to standards I do myself if that makes me a bitch for you so be it. It wasn't so much the bias that got me as we all have our own. It was that you did not watch the game and witness the pathetic shitty play of Mills that game to be making that much of a one sided opinion. Otherwise we cool.
no, we're not cool actually.

i don't give a shit what you have to say anymore tbh.

YOU said about me: Will post very biased opinions on games he didn't watch

that's not fucking true.

i already said: i commented in a thread because i was mentioned in it. I DID NOT EVEN GIVE AN OPINION ON THE GAME I MISSED. can you read?

maybe it's beneath you to admit when you're wrong. or you're okay with making slanderous, untrue remarks.

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 01:56 AM
no, we're not cool actually.

i don't give a shit what you have to say anymore tbh.

YOU said about me: Will post very biased opinions on games he didn't watch

that's not fucking true.

i already said: i commented in a thread because i was mentioned in it. I DID NOT EVEN GIVE AN OPINION ON THE GAME I MISSED. can you read?

maybe it's beneath you to admit when you're wrong. or you're okay with making slanderous, untrue remarks.
Ok we are not a fan of each other. I don't want to make you angry as there is no need. I am also not upset by you calling me names. Peace?

dabom
04-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Ok we are not a fan of each other. I don't want to make you angry as there is no need. I am also not upset by you calling me names. Peace?

Never admitting that you're wrong when you clearly are and deflect is not a sign of intelligence. :lmao

gambit1990
04-11-2016, 02:00 AM
i wasn't trying to upset you by calling you a bitch, it was just an observation i was sharing. i actually was a fan of yours until you opened your mouth and that bullshit came out.

I only hold you to standards I do myself if that makes me a bitch for you so be it.

^ that's the standard you hold yourself to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgvMpm9z0TI

i'm done.

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 02:09 AM
i wasn't trying to upset you by calling you a bitch, it was just an observation i was sharing. i actually was a fan of yours until you opened your mouth and that bullshit came out.

^ that's the standard you hold yourself to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgvMpm9z0TI

i'm done.
Ok gambit that was funny :lol as I think this is the first video someone looks up specially for me.

ElNono
04-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Actually why hate on a player? Just discuss strategies on how to win the ball game.. without the hatred..

If Porker sucks, just fucking don't play him.. or call Pop to tell him not to play Porker..

no point bitching about this for more than 2-3 years..

Because there's games every other day, and some people are just fucking tired of watching the same bullshit over and over, so they react to it.

This isn't particular to Parker either, it happens also with Manu, Bonner, Kawhi and a host of players...

Bonner probably has the longest-lasting hatefest in this place and still going strong... 2-3 years is nothing.

Baseline21
04-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Spurs best lineup vs the dubs death lineup is this
manu vs klay
green vs steph
diaw vs barnes
kawhi vs green
LMA vs iggy
Thats is the best lineup to match the death lineup. We got all the positions covered for D and lots of scoring. Manu is are best passer and he will facilitate the offense to get LMA, Kawhi and Boris easy baskets. Also with that lineup dubs might have to get out of it that death lineup because Manu will recognize the mismatch who Barnes covers. Because if he covers Boris or LMA, Manu will feed that player and exploit who Barnes covers. Barnes is going to need help and when green or iggy help out out the weak side is going to be wide open.

gambit1990
09-18-2016, 03:28 AM
what team was parker the key to beating in the 2016 playoffs? what about 2017?

BillMc
09-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Because there's games every other day, and some people are just fucking tired of watching the same bullshit over and over, so they react to it.

This isn't particular to Parker either, it happens also with Manu, Bonner, Kawhi and a host of players...

Bonner probably has the longest-lasting hatefest in this place and still going strong... 2-3 years is nothing.

Still, the anti-parker crew has a zest that I never saw for Bonner, Manu or Kawhi. By that I mean nearly every thread these days seems to turn into a profane Parker thread. You'll have a perfectly nice thread and then - bam! - Parker bitching commences. While Bonner hate has been excessive, and Kawhi and Manu have had their share of unreasonable detractors, I don't remember the hate so often seeping into unrelated thread. It's closer to prime Scola thread territory, where random topics would transform into a discussion of the failure to sign Scola.

Having said all that, I will now chime in on the Parker situation. :lol What the anti-parker crowd seldom does address is what the PAFO should do about Parker in a realistic way. Unrealistic trades are suggested, ones that often give up as supposedly-useless Tony for a prime player on another team, as are prayers that we'll sign CP3 or (for a while) Westbrook. But the Spurs have done really what is appropriate to the situation. Managed Tony's health, changed his role, and spent a number 1 draft pick on a PG (2 #1's, if you consider KA was often point at UCLA). Signing LMA cost us Joseph, and he'd have been nice to keep, but that's the sacrifice you make when you sign big name FAs. (As Pau cost us Boban, etc.) So, we can hope to get CP3 a year or so down the line, but that will cost us too. And as SAGirl pointed out in a previous thread, you can't keep hoping to sign big name FA's because even if you succeed, it will hammer your salary cap and deplete your depth. You have to develop young guys. So, let's hope Murray does well. I'm sure Pop and crew know Tony's declined (though not to the degree some say on here). But given they've had to replace TD, and retool the depth, I am not surprised that they haven't got a Tony replacement yet. While not what he once was, those other areas were greater needs. We can't have it all, there are always going to be weaker spots on any team.

Lastly, we shouldn't be so quick to get rid of Tony. I'm a big Miami Dolphins fan. When Dan Marino was aging, people were clamoring for young blood to replace him. Then he retired and Fins fans realized how much it sucks. The Fins haven't had a good much-less-great QB in 17 years. Don't be in such a hurry to push out your hall of famers.

GSH
09-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Still, the anti-parker crew has a zest that I never saw for Bonner, Manu or Kawhi. By that I mean nearly every thread these days seems to turn into a profane Parker thread.

Nearly?

I'm a big Miami Dolphins fan. When Dan Marino was aging, people were clamoring for young blood to replace him. Then he retired and Fins fans realized how much it sucks. The Fins haven't had a good much-less-great QB in 17 years. Don't be in such a hurry to push out your hall of famers.

I agree with most of what you say. (I usually do.) And I agree that all the krew bullshit here is mind-numbing. But... Dan Marino was a great passer. People talk a lot about his scrambling, but I don't think he ever ran for much more than 50 yards in a single season. The point is, he made his living his arm, and not his legs, so he was still pretty close to the same level later in his career. Tony's strength as a PG was always his quickness. He could blow past defenders and get to the rim at almost any time. He suffers a lot more from losing a step that some other great point guards. Sort of like the way RGIII suffered when he hurt his leg and couldn't scramble like he used to. Now that I think about it, Tony as a PG is a lot like RGIII as a QB. RGIII was never a great pure passer, and Tony was never a great pure point.

It's probably worth mentioning that Dan Marino never won a Superbowl. I don't think Tony is ready for the scrapheap. But unless he finds a way to change his game, or finds the fountain of youth, I'm getting more doubtful that he can be the PG on a Championship team. He may still be better than whoever they could get to replace him. But since we Spurs fans are all spoiled to think about Championships every year, it's not surprising that people are seeing Tony as the weakest link.

gambit1990
09-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Tony's strength as a PG was always his quickness. He could blow past defenders and get to the rim at almost any time. He suffers a lot more from losing a step that some other great point guards.

exactly.

what i had to say in early january:

parker's greatest talent was his speed. he was a scorer, not a shooter or one with court vision. anecdotal, but i feel like this season he's missed some easy lay ups. his step has been lost imo.

ElNono
09-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Still, the anti-parker crew has a zest that I never saw for Bonner, Manu or Kawhi. By that I mean nearly every thread these days seems to turn into a profane Parker thread. You'll have a perfectly nice thread and then - bam! - Parker bitching commences. While Bonner hate has been excessive, and Kawhi and Manu have had their share of unreasonable detractors, I don't remember the hate so often seeping into unrelated thread. It's closer to prime Scola thread territory, where random topics would transform into a discussion of the failure to sign Scola.

You weren't here in 2013? The hate for Manu in 2013 was even worse, tbh, and it's not close. Manu at least was able to redeem himself a season later. TGY and hater tried to stick with the schtick, but you can tell it's no longer effective since then.

Realistically Tony was never going anywhere, you had to hope he would just find a new niche or adapt his game to his new realities, like TD and Manu have done when they aged. The lack of that I think it's what infuriates certain fans, tbh... personally, this is a new season, and hopefully we'll see a new Tony. He isn't going anywhere until his deal is up, and likely will get extended if that's what he wants.

Spurtacular
09-18-2016, 01:31 PM

I would've said that in pink, too. :lol

gambit1990
09-18-2016, 02:26 PM
this is a new season, and hopefully we'll see a new Tony.
tp can still retool... he had last season to do that though, and the season before that...

people on this forum who think his style of play is actually good for the team :lol

SAGirl
09-18-2016, 03:43 PM

Having said all that, I will now chime in on the Parker situation. :lol What the anti-parker crowd seldom does address is what the PAFO should do about Parker in a realistic way. Unrealistic trades are suggested, ones that often give up as supposedly-useless Tony for a prime player on another team, as are prayers that we'll sign CP3 or (for a while) Westbrook. But the Spurs have done really what is appropriate to the situation. Managed Tony's health, changed his role, and spent a number 1 draft pick on a PG (2 #1's, if you consider KA was often point at UCLA). Signing LMA cost us Joseph, and he'd have been nice to keep, but that's the sacrifice you make when you sign big name FAs. (As Pau cost us Boban, etc.) So, we can hope to get CP3 a year or so down the line, but that will cost us too. And as SAGirl pointed out in a previous thread, you can't keep hoping to sign big name FA's because even if you succeed, it will hammer your salary cap and deplete your depth. You have to develop young guys. So, let's hope Murray does well. I'm sure Pop and crew know Tony's declined (though not to the degree some say on here). But given they've had to replace TD, and retool the depth, I am not surprised that they haven't got a Tony replacement yet. While not what he once was, those other areas were greater needs. We can't have it all, there are always going to be weaker spots on any team.

Lastly, we shouldn't be so quick to get rid of Tony. I'm a big Miami Dolphins fan. When Dan Marino was aging, people were clamoring for young blood to replace him. Then he retired and Fins fans realized how much it sucks. The Fins haven't had a good much-less-great QB in 17 years. Don't be in such a hurry to push out your hall of famers.

:tu
Developing youth is the way to go at this point. As the young guys grow up, the Spurs will know exactly what they have in each of them and they can then retain only those they want. At that point these guys are young enough to still have their best years ahead of them and will produce a lot health permitting, while both team and player have chemistry and there are no surprises. They are likely to give the Spurs the best value. FA, unless they are at the edge of their careers, require a premium and won't always produce up to the level of their contracts (potentially a lot of Richard Jeffersons were signed this offseason by many teams). Anyways, internal growth from young players is the best possible scenario. Obviously not every need can be supplied through the draft either and that is how LMA and Pau came to be in the team.

The Spurs are transforming. They were already looking very different last season with the team tailored to Kawhi's talent (fans complaining about lack of ball movement and 'the beautiful game') and it's still changing bc the young bench players are all in different stages of development too but as they grow up as players they need to be integrated into the team and placed in positions to be successful as well. A team with them in it is going to be different. There is not going to be another Manu or another Tony. Fans need to enjoy what they have right now even in their declined states instead of so much whining.

But I bet you this, soon as they are retired the whining will commence with other players. It has already commenced with Slo-Mo and will likely include others soon. :lol

For me, I don't care, I am ready for the season to start. I like the current team. I like the current youngsters, the aged fellas, the whole package. I look forward to see what comes out of this season.

SASdynasty!
09-18-2016, 06:26 PM
what team was parker the key to beating in the 2016 playoffs? what about 2017?
I agree. We're a first/second round exit without MVParker.

SASdynasty!
09-18-2016, 06:33 PM

Post of the year. Treat the Hall of Famers right and some of the future ones might stay.

SASdynasty!
09-18-2016, 06:34 PM
What's funny is that Parker held Curry to the worst shooting game of his entire career.