PDA

View Full Version : Positive Takeaways

coachmac87
04-11-2016, 12:26 AM
•We can defend them well enough to beat them. It's obvious we give them problems. Need to bring more intensity and focus on the road

•Spurs have used 3 different starting line ups. Just shows we are trying different things. Diaw missing 2 games plays a huge factor but we needed to see if we can hang without him. We can.

•Spurs are cutting down on turnovers. Game 1 (30) Game 2 (16) Game 3 (11) Game 4 (12).

•Thompson isn't an issue.

•If I'm Pop I strongly consider playing big with guards and have Manu running point

spurs10
04-11-2016, 12:43 AM
Holding them to 35 points in a half was definitely positive. Too bad they did the same to us.

Going into the 4th quarter virtually tied after Steph took over the game in the 3rd quarter was positive.

Losing by 6 when Kmart played the entire 4th quarter. No insult to him, but he has been on the team five minutes.

Hanging with them without Boris Diaw and Tim.

Hanging with them when we had the worst shooting drought of the year. DG and TP scored a whopping 6 points between them.
:wakeup

DMC
04-11-2016, 12:51 AM
1. No we can't.

2. It shows we're lost

3. ok

4. Yes he is.

5. And who comes off the bench to play against the 2nd unit of the Warriors who run faster than the starters? Tony?

MultiTroll
04-11-2016, 01:04 AM
West played great. Loved his energy, balls, defense. Saw him give a couple well timed shoves to a couple of the Golden Phags. Man up and follow suit the rest of you Spurs.

Boban is ready. Now. He doesn't need some bench-for-no-reason bullshit. He can play in this years playoffs and contribute.

Kawhi had two excellent stuffs of Curry. Both times the little pussy Curry got foul shots for what should have been a turnover. He didn't really drop any damaging treys until well after Popped had thrown in the towel.

I liked Andersons play and effort also. I think he also had a block that got falsely called a foul.

Russo21
04-11-2016, 01:44 AM
Spurs had more rebounds, more assists, more steals and less turnovers than GSW.
Duncan and Diaw both had DNP.
Curry was the only GSW to have a good offensive game.
Held GSW to just 92 points.
The Spurs hung in there despite shooting just 37%.
The pressure of 41-0 at home and sweeping at home during the playoffs is now a non-factor, if it ever was.

All that shit bodes well for us as Diaw will be back, Duncan will be back and the Spurs will hopefully shoot better next time vs GSW... The problem is did the GSW make us shoot like shit or did we just miss shots which happens some games. Stats look good except our fg % and especially 3pt fg %.

Didn't watch the game as I was at a job interview. Just going by the box score here for positive takeaways.

DMC
04-11-2016, 01:52 AM
You can go back a few days and find the same "silver lining" threads about how the Spurs were going to beat GS, because of how well they played outside of losing the game itself.

DenialTwist
04-11-2016, 01:53 AM
Spurs had more rebounds, more assists, more steals and less turnovers than GSW.
Duncan and Diaw both had DNP.
Curry was the only GSW to have a good offensive game.
Held GSW to just 92 points.
The Spurs hung in there despite shooting just 37%.
The pressure of 41-0 at home and sweeping at home during the playoffs is now a non-factor, if it ever was.

All that shit bodes well for us as Diaw will be back, Duncan will be back and the Spurs will hopefully shoot better next time vs GSW... The problem is did the GSW make us shoot like shit or did we just miss shots which happens some games. Stats look good except our fg % and especially 3pt fg %.

Didn't watch the game as I was at a job interview. Just going by the box score here for positive takeaways.

No, all of that only bodes well for the Spurs if they can make shots especially three's. They couldn't hit any with the Warriors having more turnovers, less rebounds and assists. That's not a good sign at all. The Spurs couldn't take advantage when Curry was on the bench either. Even with Diaw Spurs will have a hard time scoring with their backcourt. I'm still surprised Klay/Curry outscored Danny and Tony 51-6. Ominous sign.
My goodness even David Robinson noticed Parker had the ball and Kawhi was wide open lol

https://twitter.com/davidtheadmiral/status/719301965579161600

Russo21
04-11-2016, 02:03 AM
No, all of that only bodes well for the Spurs if they can make shots especially three's. They couldn't hit any with the Warriors having more turnovers, less rebounds and assists. That's not a good sign at all. The Spurs couldn't take advantage when Curry was on the bench either. Even with Diaw Spurs will have a hard time scoring with their backcourt. I'm still surprised Klay/Curry outscored Danny and Tony 51-6. Ominous sign.
My goodness even David Robinson noticed Parker had the ball and Kawhi was wide open lol

Damn, David actually posted that lol? Maybe it's good to have a part owner and team legend pointing out Tony's shit vision or lack of awareness as maybe it will hopefully give him a good kick up the ass.

Yes I see all your valid points, but the thread title was 'positive takeaways' So I was just trying to be positive lol :)

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 03:25 AM

WOW...

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2016, 03:28 AM
:lol is that actually his Twitter account?

Thomas82
04-11-2016, 04:59 AM
:lol is that actually his Twitter account?

Yes it is......it's a verified account.

Chinook
04-11-2016, 06:59 AM
The Spurs probably win this game if Pop was a little smarter with his rotations. Even though he was having an abysmal offensive game, Green should have played more in the fourth quarter. It's still pretty clear that Curry fears Danny. Pop pretty much benched Danny for the rest of the game after that and-one. Martin was obviously scoring better, but the team desperately needed to stop the Warriors.

I think the Warriors deserve to feel that they have the edge going into a WCF with the Spurs, but the team may well have won both the last two had Diaw been playing or had they been in playoff mode mentally. I liked the idea of playing Boban and wished they had gone to him sooner. He was too big for Speights, and he had a couple of bunnies JUST bounce out.

For a series, Kawhi's going to need to man up on the defensive end against Draymond. Last night was great start to that. The Spurs are going to have to figure out how to guard Barnes. I don't know if LMA can do it. I think Anderson has shown he could hang in two straight Warriors games. His rebounding has been great. I expect to see him going forward. Patty shouldn't be guaranteed a rotation spot. He absolutely has to score lights out to be a positive, and him trying is one of the easiest ways GS can create separation. Bringing a guy like Miller who can control pace and bring physical play to both sides of the ball seems like a safer play. It's pretty surprising that Pop hasn't played him very much. I still think Andre's been better than Martin.

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 07:11 AM
The Spurs probably win this game if Pop was a little smarter with his rotations. Even though he was having an abysmal offensive game, Green should have played more in the fourth quarter. It's still pretty clear that Curry fears Danny. Pop pretty much benched Danny for the rest of the game after that and-one. Martin was obviously scoring better, but the team desperately needed to stop the Warriors.

We saw this before, in 2014 first round. Danny was the best defender on Monta Ellis but his shots weren't falling and Pop limited his minutes until he started to make 3's.

With Parker/Manu decline it's hard that Spurs guards don't produce offense, but also, Pop was trolling us with that KMart-Bobban lineup on defense in the 4th quarter...
There is no room for error against GSW and Pop won't make the same mistake of benching Danny in the 4th.

SPURt
04-11-2016, 08:56 AM
There is inherent disappointment with seeing unreliable play from players like Danny, Patty, Manu, Parker, etc. Really that doesn't have anything to do with Golden State. The Spurs have played the Warriors well since the initial beatdown.

The biggest silver lining for me was seeing Kerr play his full lineup minus the guys that are really awful like Andy. Pop figured out Boris was effective against the Warriors and hasn't let him play. I don't see how Tim can be used in this series, so it's hard to count Tim.

I kind of wish Pop would have thrown Miller or Simmons in a little more just to see what's there. Kevin Martin is proving to be the most consistent shooter not Kawhi or LMA the Spurs have right now. We also discovered Boban isn't ready for the Warriors. If Diaw plays Boban's minutes last night, for me, that was the difference.

ginobilized
04-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Spurs played with grit and intensity. As Pop said, there was a stretch of 3-4 minutes where Steph got away from them.
That was the difference. The Warriors have more talent, are more athletic and shoot like no team I have ever seen.

They are beatable, though.

I think the mind games with Draymond Green will come to a head in the playoffs if we meet again.

Oh, and the Warriors moving screens and constant slapping at the ball.....don't get me started. This was hard fought contest by the Spurs.
They learned more than the Warriors. That is always a positive takeaway.

Big Empty
04-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Kawhi sucked and our three point shooting sucked. We held them below 100 points even with Curry scoring 37. Duncan & Diaw will be back and healthy. The issue here is confidence. The guys shoot like shit against golden state. They need to relax and just play. Thats it. Well be fine at home, the hardest thing to fo is win in golden state

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-11-2016, 10:20 AM
1. No we can't.

2. It shows we're lost

3. ok

4. Yes he is.

5. And who comes off the bench to play against the 2nd unit of the Warriors who run faster than the starters? Tony?

Hey, jackass, we didn't forget you said the Heat would sweep us in 2013.

rjv
04-11-2016, 10:33 AM

I think the Warriors deserve to feel that they have the edge going into a WCF with the Spurs, but the team may well have won both the last two had Diaw been playing or had they been in playoff mode mentally. I liked the idea of playing Boban and wished they had gone to him sooner. He was too big for Speights, and he had a couple of bunnies JUST bounce out.

For a series, Kawhi's going to need to man up on the defensive end against Draymond. Last night was great start to that. The Spurs are going to have to figure out how to guard Barnes. I don't know if LMA can do it. I think Anderson has shown he could hang in two straight Warriors games. His rebounding has been great. I expect to see him going forward. Patty shouldn't be guaranteed a rotation spot. He absolutely has to score lights out to be a positive, and him trying is one of the easiest ways GS can create separation. Bringing a guy like Miller who can control pace and bring physical play to both sides of the ball seems like a safer play. It's pretty surprising that Pop hasn't played him very much. I still think Andre's been better than Martin.

it was obvious pop was tinkering, ergo the appearance of Boban in this game. I still believe we have the better frontcourt but through all four games this season our guards have been killed, especially mills and TP (and manu has been average at best). anderson has often been the better option at the PG.

spurs10
04-11-2016, 01:11 PM
We saw this before, in 2014 first round. Danny was the best defender on Monta Ellis but his shots weren't falling and Pop limited his minutes until he started to make 3's.

With Parker/Manu decline it's hard that Spurs guards don't produce offense, but also, Pop was trolling us with that KMart-Bobban lineup on defense in the 4th quarter...
There is no room for error against GSW and Pop won't make the same mistake of benching Danny in the 4th. Pop trolling us is exactly right. I don't think it was a "mistake" Pop benching Danny. He wasn't playing to win. He was just checking out Kmart and since Kmart actually could hit the Pacific ocean occasionally- he left him in the entire 4th quarter.

At the time of the game I was just reacting to the point spread getting a little bigger bit by bit in the 4th. When I re-watched it was pretty damn clear Pop didn't give a f*ck.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Good points, guys. Think we'll see an incredibly heavy dose of guards not named Danny Green the next two games?

Perry Mason
04-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Damn, David actually posted that lol? Maybe it's good to have a part owner and team legend pointing out Tony's shit vision or lack of awareness as maybe it will hopefully give him a good kick up the ass.

Yes I see all your valid points, but the thread title was 'positive takeaways' So I was just trying to be positive lol :)

Except that Kawhi is cross-court in that picture and Barnes can close out fairly quickly. Not saying that there weren't times Kawhi was open and wasn't passed to.

BUT, what I did see a lot of last night, was both Mills and Kawhi receiving the ball at the 3 point line with space....and doing nothing other than dribbling up or passing. They absolutely hesitated in letting it fly. Was very frustrating. They need to shoot it if they have space. That is the only way to better open up the mid and low post.