PDA

View Full Version : 22 shots and 7 FTs

will_spurs
04-11-2016, 05:34 AM
2 players, both the first option on offense on their team, took exactly 22 shots and 7 FTs yesterday night.

Curry 37 points
Kawhi 20 points

The end.

YGWHI
04-11-2016, 06:30 AM
Agree. Kawhi, who was 8-12 at Oracle and 51 FG% in the season, shot an abysmal 32 FG% in this game...

But think about this...Kawhi's 20 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 asts, 0 TO, 3 blocks, 2 steals, line, could beat any team in the league, sadly, not the Warriors.

daslicer
04-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Agree. Kawhi, who was 8-12 at Oracle and 51 FG% in the season, shot an abysmal 32 FG% in this game...

But think about this...Kawhi's 20 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 asts, 0 TO, 3 blocks, 2 steals, line, could beat any team in the league, sadly, not the Warriors.

I would say one of the keys to winning against the Warriors is both LMA and Kawhi need to be on the same page. Kawhi was terrible in this game offensively but the last game LMA was awful in Oracle.

will_spurs
04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
I was mostly posting this in reference to the 2-way player thread, and some people claiming Kawhi is at Curry or Lebron level offensively. I hope he can reach that level but right now it just isn't the case. That difference of 17 points between the two #1 scoring options is major when the other team wins by only 6.

The big 3 was lethal because they were basically unbeatable if the 3 of them had good nights. And you could always count on 2 out of 3 bringing their A game. Right now LMA and Kawhi are good, but we only seem to have a chance if both of them are playing at their best, at the same time. I'm not sure it will happen regularly enough to win a 7-game playoff series.

RD2191
04-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Shut the fuck up pussy faggot. Our starting pork guard had 4 points.

SASdynasty!
04-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Which is exactly what you guys have been asking for. In the last 3 years, we're 6-0 in the playoffs when Parker leads the team in scoring. 1-2 when he doesn't. Welcome to the new era.

Kawhitstorm
04-11-2016, 12:14 PM
2 players, both the first option on offense on their team, took exactly 22 shots and 7 FTs yesterday night.

Curry 37 points
Kawhi 20 points

The end.

Curry was hitting halfcourt shot meanwhile Kawhi couldn't hit his money mid-range shot, his jumper betrayed him while Curry couldn't miss in the 2nd half.

Rob123
04-11-2016, 12:23 PM

I've gotta disagree here, I have seldom seen 20 points on 22 shots ever win a game.

If you just looked at the stat line then yes, that is a very solid stat line. But he took 22 shots to get that 20 points which is just absolutely nuts.

loveforthegame
04-11-2016, 12:32 PM
If this was the norm shooting for Leonard then it would be a huge problem. But we know differently. He had an ugly night shooting the ball. No way to sugarcoat it.

But despite the bad shooting he was still trying to help in other ways. Led the team in rebounding, assists, and blocks.

One wonders if other guys were shooting the ball at even a mediocre clip if Leonard would have chucked so many shots?

RD2191
04-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Which is exactly what you guys have been asking for. In the last 3 years, we're 6-0 in the playoffs when Parker leads the team in scoring. 1-2 when he doesn't. Welcome to the new era.
Lol. No. We're asking for his benching.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2016, 01:03 PM
The "settling for jumpers" offense, ladies and gents.

loveforthegame
04-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Is there anyone on this team who could match Curry if they were the #1 option?

Other teams have some but it doesn't seem to have done them any good either.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Other teams have some but it doesn't seem to have done them any good either.

You beat great players with superior teamwork, but at some point you have to make some baskets.

will_spurs
04-11-2016, 01:22 PM

If anybody could match Curry they'd be the MVP... so I'm going to be realistic and say that's not the goal. But 17 points is really an extreme difference, especially considering they took exactly the same number of shots and FTs.

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Glorified role player

DarrinS
04-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Glorified role player

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259329&p=8525205&viewfull=1#post8525205

dabom
04-11-2016, 02:16 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259329&p=8525205&viewfull=1#post8525205
:lol

loveforthegame
04-11-2016, 02:39 PM
If anybody could match Curry they'd be the MVP... so I'm going to be realistic and say that's not the goal. But 17 points is really an extreme difference, especially considering they took exactly the same number of shots and FTs.

It's one game, not a trend though. Leonard has only matched him once in shot attempts.

Game 1:

Leonard 16pts on 6 shots
Curry 37pts on 20 shots

Game 2:

Leonard 18pts on 14 shots
Curry 14pts on 18 shots

Game 3:

Leonard 23pts on 12 shots
Curry 27points on 19 shots

Game 4:

Leonard 20 points on 22 shots
Curry 37 points on 22 shots

Leonard will never match Curry as the number 1 option. If that's what we're hanging the season on we are doomed. But then again there's no one else on the Spurs team to match him either. So it's gotta be a team wide effort.

Game 1 blow out victory Warriors. Leonard shot well but no one else. (LMA 2-9, Green 1-4, Parker 2-6, Manu 1-6, Mills 1-5).

Game 2 Spurs win. Leonard shot poorly but the team was mixed. (LMA 11-25, Diaw 6-7, Green 4-10, Parker 2-8, Mills 1-5, Manu 3-5)

Game 3 Warriors win. Leonard shoots well and the role players are decent enough. (LMA 5-16, Timmy 2-6, Green 3-7, Parker 4-10, Mills 3-8, Manu 3-6, West 4-5)

Game 4 Warriors win. Leonard shoots poorly as does everyone not named LMA. (LMA 11-18, West/Parker/Manu each 2-7, Green 1-7, Mills 2-8)

Leonard shot well in 2 games and 2 games not so much. Oddly enough both good games were at Oracle. Go figure. 2 games LMA shot well and 2 games not so much. His 2 good games were both at home. The big deal is that the role players are not doing enough. It's been a season long issue. That's not going to cut it. Not against the Warriors at least.

sasaint
04-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Game 3 Warriors win. Leonard shoots well and the role players are decent enough. (LMA 5-16, Timmy 2-6, Green 3-7, Parker 4-10, Mills 3-8, Manu 3-6, West 4-5)

Game 4 Warriors win. Leonard shoots poorly as does everyone not named LMA. (LMA 11-18, West/Parker/Manu each 2-7, Green 1-7, Mills 2-8)

Leonard shot well in 2 games and 2 games not so much. Oddly enough both good games were at Oracle. Go figure. 2 games LMA shot well and 2 games not so much. His 2 good games were both at home. The big deal is that the role players are not doing enough. It's been a season long issue. That's not going to cut it. Not against the Warriors at least.

Or not...
5/16 = .3125
7/22 = .3181

If we play the Dubs in the WCF, Kawhi and LMA will both have to show up, plus Boris, plus Tony, plus 2 of Danny, Manu, Patty. I am not conceding anything to the Dubs, but we will have to get more consistent play from guys who have been anything but consistent most of the season.

loveforthegame
04-11-2016, 03:40 PM
^ When I said role players I meant the guys who have struggled the most like Green, Mills, Parker, Manu, etc...

And another point that is worth noting. Who is the number 1 option for the Spurs in this series?

Leonard - 54 shot attempts
LMA - 68 shot attempts

xapatan2
04-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Waouh, you are really that stupid ! Keep going:blah

Spurtacular
04-12-2016, 12:36 AM

Not a bad stat line for a guy who played timid much of the night and who was indecisive on his drives.

KimmyGib
04-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Considering his defensive capabilities/workload, if Kawhi could match Steph Curry's offensive output he'd be god.

dabom
04-12-2016, 01:13 AM
Considering his defensive capabilities/workload, if Kawhi could match Steph Curry's offensive output he'd be god.
:wow:tu:cheer:clap:makemyday:elephant:hat:lol

YGWHI
04-12-2016, 01:38 AM
I've gotta disagree here, I have seldom seen 20 points on 22 shots ever win a game.

If you just looked at the stat line then yes, that is a very solid stat line. But he took 22 shots to get that 20 points which is just absolutely nuts.

It seems like you forget this part of my post "an abysmal 32 FG%"...Never said it was good.

I just said a line like this from Kawhi would be enough to beat most teams in the league. Like Kawhi/LMA 44 points combined in a game, too. But not the Warriors.

That's the issue.

YGWHI
04-12-2016, 02:01 AM
Not a bad stat line for a guy who played timid much of the night and who was indecisive on his drives.
It's weird that Kawhi looked more assertive against Warriors on the road than in home. He's even shooting a lot better on the road 66.7 FG% ...I mean, it's great to have a player who can play at Oracle but I can't explain his poor home shooting in the RS series.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Pop is able to find a way to keep Kawhi/LMA, both, going in the same game. This style of offense is so different in many ways from Prime Tim "4-down" and Old Tim "beautiful game"

rasuo214
04-12-2016, 04:05 AM
I was mostly posting this in reference to the 2-way player thread, and some people claiming Kawhi is at Curry or Lebron level offensively. I hope he can reach that level but right now it just isn't the case. That difference of 17 points between the two #1 scoring options is major when the other team wins by only 6.

The big 3 was lethal because they were basically unbeatable if the 3 of them had good nights. And you could always count on 2 out of 3 bringing their A game. Right now LMA and Kawhi are good, but we only seem to have a chance if both of them are playing at their best, at the same time. I'm not sure it will happen regularly enough to win a 7-game playoff series.

That isn't Kawhi or LMA's fault that the team lacks even a decent 3rd option on offense. For as bad of a night Kawhi had offensively it was still 2x better than what Danny and Parker provided.

Parker and Danny were a combined 3-14 totaling 6 points. .43 points per shot attempt.

Kawhi, who was very inefficient by his standards, got 20 on 22 shots. .91 points per shot attempt.

To put that in perspective if Danny and Parker were able to just match Kawhi's bad offensive performance then that would have been enough to win the game.

.91 * 14 shot attempts = 12+ points, which would have covered the 6 points the Spurs lost by.

That's not to pick on Danny and Parker because they weren't the only ones to do poorly on offense. Also not excusing Kawhi's bad shooting night. The Spurs will need Kawhi and LMA to step up because there isn't a 3rd option to bail them out and allow for a bad night.

DenialTwist
04-12-2016, 05:22 AM
Did you happen to listen to any NBA podcasts after the game? or read any of the articles? Unfortunately, every NBA analyst has said pretty much the same thing: The spurs backcourt cannot score against the Warriors. Parker guarded Curry for most of the game and Curry punished him for it. Parker and Green were outscored 51-6 (7/29). 6 points from two-fifths of the starting lineup. Yeah, blame it on the only consistent player the entire season. Curry couldn't carry Parker and Green if he was on this spurs team. The Spurs pg position and pg depth is the biggest weakness. CBS Sports just talked about this very point, if any one of the spurs backcourt was to score in double digits this game could've gone the other way. It doesn't get much better with Mills and Manu coming off the bench against this Warriors offense both in offense and defense. The weakness is not in the frontcourt, it's the backcourt.

will_spurs
04-12-2016, 05:54 AM
Danny Green sucks offensively, that's a fact.

But that's missing the point, which is the following: on a night when everything went according to the plan imagined by the masterminds here at SpursTalk, which is to say Kawhi got the ball, took 22 shots while everybody took second place, and in particular Parker took only 7 shots (less than a 1/3rd of the amount of shots taken by Kawhi), the resulat was clear: our offense was totally inefficient.

Actually Kawhi was 7 for 22 (.318 shooting) and Parker was 2-7 (.286 shooting), which means our #1 option on offense was basically as bad as the "washed-up" guy who's been labelled as the worst starting PG in the league and a waste of a roster spot.

The rest of the roster, with the notable exception of LMA, was equally crappy: West .286 Manu .286 Mills .250 and Green .143

There's not much more to say: our #1 option on offense had basically the same offensive production as guys like West, Parker, Manu, Mills or Green... when he should producing significantly more.

It won't make a difference if Parker and Manu sits, if Mills starts :lol, if K-Mart starts instead of Green... we can't win against GSW with Kawhi shooting .318

loveforthegame
04-12-2016, 09:55 AM
I don't get your argument. Leonard was the #1 option one out of the 4 games. That's an exception and not the trend.

That's like me saying for all those at spurstalk who wants LMA to be the #1 option screwed the pooch in game 3 where he shot 5-16. That 31% isn't going to cut it. At least Parker shot 40% but is anyone going to argue Parker would be the better option? Leonard was 8-12 for 66% shooting. Should we have gone through him more that night?

Or how about game 1 where he shot 2-9 and guys like Green shot 1-4, Manu 1-6, Mills 1-5, Parker 2-6. No one is going to sit here and say LMA is as bad as those guys.

Our 2 stars shot really good in 2 games and really bad in 2 games. Unfortunately when one was on the other was not.

By your argument we're 0-1 with Leonard as #1 option and 1-3 when LMA is. Do you really believe the results are that cut and dried? Maybe either one should be the #1 option. Hmm. I wonder who we could turn to instead? Lean heavily on Diaw and hope for the best? Hope Duncan finds the fountain of youth again? Hope Parker regains his speed? Hope for Green to find his shot again? What are we going to do?

LMA was 29-68 for 43% on 17 shots per game.

Leonard was 24-54 for 44% on 13.5 shots per game.

The fact is we need both Leonard and LMA to shoot well with a healthy dose from the role players.

Diego20
04-12-2016, 10:05 AM

:lol faggot always talking about "when parker leads the team, bla bla bla":rollin

Obstructed_View
04-12-2016, 11:11 AM
:lol faggot always talking about "when parker leads the team, bla bla bla":rollin

Yeah, those pesky stats. Faggots.