PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Martin may need to have a solid increase in minutes.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2016, 02:57 PM
I know his defense isn't good but he can actually hit the broadside of a barn and generate cheap free throws that this team desperately needs. With Patty slumping hard and Tony Parker an absolute corpse he may be our only hope of getting instant offense.

I liked the time he put in during the Warriors game and hit some tough shots.

peacemaker885
04-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Pop is a loyal guy. He won't put Patty/DG/TP under the bus.

coachmac87
04-11-2016, 03:12 PM
It's either him or Kyle Anderson..

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Kmart will play but I see him Marco status like. He will play as long as he's hot and so long as the other guys are cold. I definitely do see him playing. He doesn't give us the best chance to win though, that's why I am not too excited about him. If we need a lot of minutes from him to begin with, we are probably in a loosing situation from which he will not pull us out of. Note how he didn't do that in any of the games he's played, including the Charlotte game. Nope, if we are the point where we NEED him bc we need shooting, the trade off defensively is such, that we haven't won any game that he's come "to the rescue".

Personally, my hopes are that Manu has a good series, and that Danny finds his rhythm. That is what would give us a chance.

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2016, 03:49 PM
KMart 2.0 Tbh..

Budkin
04-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Pop: "It wouldn't be fair."

gambit1990
04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
if you start patty instead of parker... kmart could be patty's replacement off the bench.

pgardn
04-11-2016, 04:21 PM
if you start patty instead of parker... kmart could be patty's replacement off the bench.

Yes.

If you are missing the upper half of your torso you might try this.

pgardn
04-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Kmart can't handle, distribute, or play D. What he can do is score.

We really don't have any great choices at guard, especially against the Warriors.
But the above mentioned by gamwit is just boffo.

MultiTroll
04-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Anderson, Jonny Simmons >>>>>>>>>KMart

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Anderson>
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

no

spurraider21
04-11-2016, 04:34 PM
last year marco needed more minutes in the first round, so there might be merit to this depending on matchups

Mikeanaro
04-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Yeah, we need a scorer against the Warrefs, too much D a no O is a bad choice against a team with great shooters, thats what happened in ´13 vs the CHeat and of course the fucking refs...

MultiTroll
04-11-2016, 04:42 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

no
Rebounds, defense, passing
yes

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Rebounds, defense, passing
yes
He doesn't play defense, and he averages 3 assists + 2TO Per36

You'd expect the most passive, non aggressive player in the league to do better than that tbh.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Martin can score, but there was a noticeable drop-off in defense with him on the floor. I'd like him next to Manu in the backcourt....2005 Manu that is.

tholdren
04-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Pop is a loyal guy. He won't put Patty/DG/TP under the bus.
Yes, that's unfortunate. I smell antonio mcdyess all over

spurs10
04-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Kevin Martin played way too long last night. He is a good spark plug off the bench for scoring. If Pop cared at all about winning he wouldn't have played the entire 4th quarter. I'm glad we got him- glad he got to scrimmage last night.

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Kevin Martin played way too long last night. He is a good spark plug off the bench for scoring. If Pop cared at all about winning he wouldn't have played the entire 4th quarter. I'm glad we got him- glad he got to scrimmage last night.
:tu. Agreed.

tholdren
04-11-2016, 06:23 PM
fail - pop played green to long. Over half the game 1/7 with tons of missed assignments. Pop played Mills too long. And pop played Parker too long.

There should have been more Anderson/Martin and Boban. Spurs couldn't score, so why would you not play guys who can score? Makes no sense.

Holden_Caulfield
04-11-2016, 06:54 PM
i miss belli

MaNu4Tres
04-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I know his defense isn't good but he can actually hit the broadside of a barn and generate cheap free throws that this team desperately needs. With Patty slumping hard and Tony Parker an absolute corpse he may be our only hope of getting instant offense.

I liked the time he put in during the Warriors game and hit some tough shots.

Martin can't create for himself on offense anymore, hell he can't even dribble the ball without turning it over. He has zero confidence with the ball in his hands.And "hitting tough shots" is because he can't create good ones and that isn't a sustainable long-term especially against better defenses in the playoffs.

I hate when fans are results oriented after a small sample ( one game). He hit an open three then made 2 bullshit runners ( one was a double pump lol).

Over the larger sample, he's been really bad all season long. If Spurs give him a meaningful role, they'll be out of the playoffs after Round 2.

tholdren
04-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Martin can't create for himself on offense anymore, hell he can't even dribble the ball without turning it over. He has zero confidence with the ball in his hands.And "hitting tough shots" is because he can't create good ones and that isn't a sustainable long-term especially against better defenses in the playoffs.

I hate when fans are results oriented after a small sample ( one game). He hit an open three then made 2 bullshit runners ( one was a double pump lol).

Over the larger sample, he's been really bad all season long. If Spurs give him a meaningful role, they'll be out of the playoffs after Round 2.
While I'll agree that he plays like a scared kitty cat on both ends you can't say "I hate when fans are results oriented...." Doesn't matter if he hits bullshit runners or not - he hit them. Unfortunately, for SA to beat the GSW you have to depend on some mariposa like Kevin Martin. Why? Danny Green sucks, and KL isn't good enough. IF either of those two had a pair, Spurs would have kept Butler and not signed Martin.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2016, 07:18 PM

If the Spurs keep shooting the way they've been shooting they'll be out after Round 2 anyway. This team has a lot of question marks going into the playoffs and the putrid shooting is a big one. Yes, love the elite defense, but there isn't a single player who you can have confidence to hit a 3 when wide open. If the Spurs can't hit from outside they'll get buried alive trading 3's for 2's, especially once the competition gets tougher.

Like another poster in this thread said, I'd look at it the way the Spurs used Marco. Marco was one of the very very few who showed up in the playoffs last year and was a big bright spot in a series that maybe wouldn't have seen 7 games had Marco not been hot.

Martin's outside shooting (yes, it's not been great but at least he's not gun shy or hesitant with his shot) may be needed if this team goes cold from outside. I could totally see teams pack the paint and dare to beat them from there.

I'm not saying Martin needs 40 minutes a game, just that the Spurs are abysmal offensively right now and if he's hitting them there's no reason not to increase his minutes.

phxspurfan
04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Yes, love the elite defense, but there isn't a single player who you can have confidence to hit a 3 when wide open.

This. I can handle the little mistakes because those happen, but nothing excuses DG from front-ironing wide open 3s. Kawhi can't hit them anymore either. The only one I see hitting anything now is Manu. WTF guys, it's basketball. Make some shots.

MaNu4Tres
04-11-2016, 08:06 PM
While I'll agree that he plays like a scared kitty cat on both ends you can't say "I hate when fans are results oriented...." Doesn't matter if he hits bullshit runners or not - he hit them. Unfortunately, for SA to beat the GSW you have to depend on some mariposa like Kevin Martin. Why? Danny Green sucks, and KL isn't good enough. IF either of those two had a pair, Spurs would have kept Butler and not signed Martin.

Yeah I can say that.. because hitting bullshit double pump one handed runners isn't going to be successful in the long run. He'll hit less than 20% of those in the long run.

But of course since he hit them last night...

spurs10
04-11-2016, 08:10 PM
:tu. Agreed. :bobo Two more scrimmages to go...

MaNu4Tres
04-11-2016, 08:10 PM
If the Spurs keep shooting the way they've been shooting they'll be out after Round 2 anyway. This team has a lot of question marks going into the playoffs and the putrid shooting is a big one. Yes, love the elite defense, but there isn't a single player who you can have confidence to hit a 3 when wide open. If the Spurs can't hit from outside they'll get buried alive trading 3's for 2's, especially once the competition gets tougher.

Like another poster in this thread said, I'd look at it the way the Spurs used Marco. Marco was one of the very very few who showed up in the playoffs last year and was a big bright spot in a series that maybe wouldn't have seen 7 games had Marco not been hot.

Martin's outside shooting (yes, it's not been great but at least he's not gun shy or hesitant with his shot) may be needed if this team goes cold from outside. I could totally see teams pack the paint and dare to beat them from there.

I'm not saying Martin needs 40 minutes a game, just that the Spurs are abysmal offensively right now and if he's hitting them there's no reason not to increase his minutes.

Bottom line. I would rather go out with my horses than try to get cute with the lineups and giving Martin a significant role. He's below average in every aspect of the game and has been all season long -- that will not change.

Martin doesn't belong in the playoffs -- especially on the Spurs. If he plays meaningful minutes, Spurs aren't giving themselves the best chance to win.

tholdren
04-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Yeah I can say that.. because hitting bullshit double pump one handed runners isn't going to be successful in the long run. He'll hit less than 20% of those in the long run.

But of course since he hit them last night...

On Spurs Current Roster, rank the top 5 players in terms of career PPG....

MaNu4Tres
04-11-2016, 08:18 PM
On Spurs Current Roster, rank the top 5 players in terms of career PPG....

Yes. Let's bring up career stats to justify playing somebody right now. Brilliant takes.. I miss the old Spurstalk.

Lets bring back AJ and Sean, they had better career stats than 10 players on the roster.

SAGirl
04-11-2016, 08:19 PM
:bobo Two more scrimmages to go...
I like to watch them. I am always rooting for our youngest players. The end results in the win columns matter not as we are set in our seed. Only getting better matters and the only improvement we will get at this point is rhythm for vets and experience for younger guys. Others don't understand this and think we have played our absolute best schemes and lineups.

tholdren
04-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Yes. Let's bring up career stats to justify playing somebody right now. Brilliant takes.. I miss the old Spurstalk.

Lets bring back AJ and Sean, they had better career stats than 10 players on the roster.

Or, you could say someone who averaged 20ppg last year is lucky to hit (insert whatever shot).... Fact of the matter is over the life of a career he was a better scorer than KL.

Martin's 3rd year he was averaging 20. KL's third year he was averaging... not 20.

spurs10
04-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I like to watch them. I am always rooting for our youngest players. The end results in the win columns matter not as we are set in our seed. Only getting better matters and the only improvement we will get at this point is rhythm for vets and experience for younger guys. Others don't understand this and think we have played our absolute best schemes and lineups. :tu

dabom
04-11-2016, 09:26 PM

dabom
04-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Kevin is a dud. He should get the tmac treatment.

playbonner15
04-11-2016, 09:29 PM
RIP Kevin Martin

dabom
04-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Kevin Martin is the Bonner of SGs.

tholdren
04-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Rip kevin martin

Mnky
04-11-2016, 09:50 PM
What happened to Martin

Dro210
04-11-2016, 09:57 PM
I miss the old Spurstalk.

:toast

TheGreatYacht
04-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Everyone is talking about Vending Machine head, but no one is bringing up KMart... It was good seeing him provide instant buckets, per par

atlfan25
04-18-2016, 11:20 PM
Martin is trash. He's a poor mans J. Simmon's

PopTheGOAT
04-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Reggie Miller was sure vouching for him last night

TrainOfThought5
04-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Kevin Martin is the Bonner of SGs.

TheGreatYacht
04-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Anderson is the Chuck Hayes of SF's

thispego
04-19-2016, 04:18 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257727&highlight=Kevin+Martin+sucks

Mouth is Bleeding
04-19-2016, 04:53 AM
Reggie Miller was sure vouching for him last night

Couldn't ask for worse vouching than that complete fool.

hater
04-19-2016, 06:09 AM
If he could be a poor mans Ferrari Belinelli, he'd be a lot of help. Let us pray

Keepin' it real
04-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Couldn't ask for worse vouching than that complete fool. (Reggie Miller)

For sure. The NBA hall of famer is a complete fool, so if he vouches for someone, it's meaningless. But if vulgar, incoherent anonymous internet posters on a fan site vouch for a player, now THAT means something.

smh

Chinook
04-19-2016, 08:59 AM
For sure. The NBA hall of famer is a complete fool

Yes. Duh. Anyone who's bothered to look at Miller's takes knows this to be true.

Joseph Kony
04-19-2016, 09:04 AM
For sure. The NBA hall of famer is a complete fool, so if he vouches for someone, it's meaningless. But if vulgar, incoherent anonymous internet posters on a fan site vouch for a player, now THAT means something.

smh
this guy has obviously never listened to Reggie Miller actually talk

bklynspursfan
04-19-2016, 11:07 AM
If hes hitting his shots, it can only help us. Not many of our 2nd unit guys can get to the FT line either, so that's something else he provides. He's still fairly new, and shooters go through ups and downs throughout a season. Lets hope his last outing is an indicator he's getting his shooting stroke back

silverblackfan
04-19-2016, 11:35 AM
If hes hitting his shots, it can only help us. Not many of our 2nd unit guys can get to the FT line either, so that's something else he provides. He's still fairly new, and shooters go through ups and downs throughout a season. Lets hope his last outing is an indicator he's getting his shooting stroke back

He is handy at getting foul shots, but until last night, was not lighting it up offensively. His defense is improving. He is putting in more effort on D and has some pretty good experience to draw on. Again, more possible fouls. I just hope Pop is having Simmons watch how Martin draws fouls. He might be able to use it after his rookie ref season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-19-2016, 01:42 PM
If Martin is able to give us 2 or 3 instant threes in 4 minutes off the bench in a key game where he lack of D won't be completely exposed that would be awesome. Let him channel a Steve Kerr Spurs playoff performance against GSW.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Like I said :toast

bklynspursfan
04-19-2016, 09:42 PM
He's an established player and knows who he is. So he won't hesitate or give much stoppage in the flow of our offense. And he has an underrated ability to drive to the basket.. if he can continue to fight on defense, I can definitely see Pop giving him more minutes.

dabom
04-19-2016, 09:43 PM
I think this is a first round only kinda thing.

TheGreatYacht
04-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Another good game for KMart :tu

Another 0 field goal game for fat head :td

Spurs9
04-19-2016, 11:11 PM
First game I've actually liked from Kmart in spurs uni, if he can get consistent from 3 that will be big.

MultiTroll
04-19-2016, 11:13 PM
The new Bonner looked pretty good on up 20+ shots.

ViceCity86
04-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Fathead useless like Diaw and West.

TheGreatYacht
04-19-2016, 11:46 PM
Fathead useless like Bonner.

Kawhitstorm
04-20-2016, 03:39 AM
I think this is a first round only kinda thing.

Even Marco got benched against OKC/Mavs/Heat in 2014:lol

Spurs 4 The Win
04-20-2016, 03:50 AM
Even Marco got benched against OKC/Mavs/Heat in 2014:lol

He still stepped up and hit one of the biggest shots of the Heat series.

dabom
04-20-2016, 04:16 AM

Go back and watch that moment. He came in and the heat made a run with him sucking ass. He made that 3 but he was still a negative out there. Not really stepping up when you giving more points than you make.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Go back and watch that moment. He came in and the heat made a run with him sucking ass. He made that 3 but he was still a negative out there. Not really stepping up when you giving more points than you make.

I agree 100% but without his shot in that moment to stop that Miami run we could have had major problems. Im just saying he at least had the stones to knock down a big shot.

hater
04-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Poor mans Ferrari bellinelli IMO

Too little too late.

Miss u Beli Grande

TD 21
04-20-2016, 06:37 PM
After 84 games, this team more than likely is what it is offensively. All the talk about improved ball movement is just that. The reality is, their two best players and only consistent sources of offense, are not natural ball movers and even when they attempt to, have tunnel vision.

Spare me the talk of Anderson's defensive rebounding being needed on the second unit. That might fly in the regular season, but it's irrelevant in the playoffs, when it becomes easier to have at least one of Duncan/Aldridge in at all meaningful times, if necessary. It's also easier to do the same with Leonard/Green.

Martin is in decline and has his flaws, but they clearly could use his shooting/scoring, in bursts.

ElNono
04-20-2016, 11:30 PM
After 84 games, this team more than likely is what it is offensively. All the talk about improved ball movement is just that. The reality is, their two best players and only consistent sources of offense, are not natural ball movers and even when they attempt to, have tunnel vision.

Spare me the talk of Anderson's defensive rebounding being needed on the second unit. That might fly in the regular season, but it's irrelevant in the playoffs, when it becomes easier to have at least one of Duncan/Aldridge in at all meaningful times, if necessary. It's also easier to do the same with Leonard/Green.

Martin is in decline and has his flaws, but they clearly could use his shooting/scoring, in bursts.

I actually think Pop is using this series to figure that stuff out, going forward into the playoffs... In Game 1, it was Danny getting extra wing minutes, Game 2 was Anderson... Maybe he'll roll with a 3-guard setup, with Manu/Martin playing SF next game...

houston spurs fan
04-21-2016, 12:37 AM
I actually think Pop is using this series to figure that stuff out, going forward into the playoffs... In Game 1, it was Danny getting extra wing minutes, Game 2 was Anderson... Maybe he'll roll with a 3-guard setup, with Manu/Martin playing SF next game...
Great post. Spot on...

Kawhitstorm
04-21-2016, 01:22 AM

He bailed himself out for his shitty defense.:lol

Spurs 4 The Win
04-21-2016, 01:56 AM
He bailed himself out for his shitty defense.:lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dz5DCjrUM

dabom
04-21-2016, 02:37 AM
10-0 run before that shot. Come on. :lol

dabom
04-21-2016, 02:39 AM
Myth debunked.

SAGirl
04-21-2016, 01:51 PM
After 84 games, this team more than likely is what it is offensively. All the talk about improved ball movement is just that. The reality is, their two best players and only consistent sources of offense, are not natural ball movers and even when they attempt to, have tunnel vision..

In that case the whole 4th wing issue is a band aid bc the problem begins with your two best players being iso scorers and poor passers, essentially guys hard to build an efficient offense around beside the two of them scoring efficiently. But I don't think it's that simple. POP needs them to get theirs and not defer bc Tim/Danny/Tony are not making shots.

Danny slumping could be a big problem down the road bc the SL is super cramped already as Tony is a very unwilling 3 pt shooter and Tim is not scoring much at all. I think that is why Pop gave an extended look at Martin with the SL to close out the 1st half and he's tried it b4 in the RS with mixed results, mostly bc Martin's terrible defense did not make up for what offense he gave us. Luckily he's been making shots, but he's been far from a clear fix for the SL.

POP also tried Tim in the bench with different guys and the ran stuff to get him going. I do believe he's trying what he can to improve the squads' offense, but frankly guys are old. I don't think TD has another gear we haven't seen. He's simply declined and guys are who they are. Martin making shots may be a band aid to cover it up, as well as Danny's slump if it were to continue (I frankly hope it doesn't).

The bench has issues of their own that Pop knows. The Boris/D west combo has struggled with big men all season. D west struggles as a rim protector rebounder and Pop has covered it up different ways. Having Anderson there is one, Danny too. You frankly underestimate how impossible it is to defend at an NBA level if you can't secure a single defensive board. Maybe the ideal thing is to split up TD and LMA, but Pop was reluctant to do that in the RS and we shall see the results if his experiments this round.

I believe he's trying to find a combination of guys that gives him just enough of both things (offense and defense) bc outside of LMA and Kawhi, guys in the team are somewhat flawed. Everyone tending to give you more of one thing less of another. It's a trade off.

TD 21
04-21-2016, 05:10 PM

As I alluded to, there's a simple fix to not playing Martin with the rest of the bench. Green can sub back in for Leonard late 1st/3rd and Martin can either sub in for Ginobili early 2nd/4th, or if the situation calls for Leonard to sub back in then, Martin can sub in for Green either at the same time or shortly thereafter.

In that case the whole 4th wing issue is a band aid bc the problem begins with your two best players being iso scorers and poor passers, essentially guys hard to build an efficient offense around beside the two of them scoring efficiently. But I don't think it's that simple. POP needs them to get theirs and not defer bc Tim/Danny/Tony are not making shots.

Danny slumping could be a big problem down the road bc the SL is super cramped already as Tony is a very unwilling 3 pt shooter and Tim is not scoring much at all. I think that is why Pop gave an extended look at Martin with the SL to close out the 1st half and he's tried it b4 in the RS with mixed results, mostly bc Martin's terrible defense did not make up for what offense he gave us. Luckily he's been making shots, but he's been far from a clear fix for the SL.

POP also tried Tim in the bench with different guys and the ran stuff to get him going. I do believe he's trying what he can to improve the squads' offense, but frankly guys are old. I don't think TD has another gear we haven't seen. He's simply declined and guys are who they are. Martin making shots may be a band aid to cover it up, as well as Danny's slump if it were to continue (I frankly hope it doesn't).

The bench has issues of their own that Pop knows. The Boris/D west combo has struggled with big men all season. D west struggles as a rim protector rebounder and Pop has covered it up different ways. Having Anderson there is one, Danny too. You frankly underestimate how impossible it is to defend at an NBA level if you can't secure a single defensive board. Maybe the ideal thing is to split up TD and LMA, but Pop was reluctant to do that in the RS and we shall see the results if his experiments this round.

I believe he's trying to find a combination of guys that gives him just enough of both things (offense and defense) bc outside of LMA and Kawhi, guys in the team are somewhat flawed. Everyone tending to give you more of one thing less of another. It's a trade off.

Maybe so, but obviously they can't just treat this as a lost cause.

Martin is obviously not a fix for what ails the starters, but he's another option in bursts. I know you're president of the Anderson fan club, but you (and others) can stop pretending he's some elite defender or that Martin, in limited minutes, is going to single handedly derail the number one defense in the league. The reality is, this team clearly needs his shooting/scoring more than they need Anderson's supposed high IQ.

You clearly either didn't read or comprehend what I said. In the playoffs, with minute management mostly out the window, it's easy to have at least one of Duncan/Aldridge and Leonard/Green in for virtually all meaningful minutes, if necessary. Doing so would take care of Anderson's contributions.

TheGreatYacht
04-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Martin is obviously not a fix for what ails the starters, but he's another option in bursts. I know you're president of the Anderson fan club, but you (and others) can stop pretending he's some elite defender or that Martin, in limited minutes, is going to single handedly derail the number one defense in the league. The reality is, this team clearly needs his shooting/scoring more than they need Anderson's supposed high IQ.
Damn :wow

SAGirl
04-21-2016, 07:27 PM
As I alluded to, there's a simple fix to not playing Martin with the rest of the bench. Green can sub back in for Leonard late 1st/3rd and Martin can either sub in for Ginobili early 2nd/4th, or if the situation calls for Leonard to sub back in then, Martin can sub in for Green either at the same time or shortly thereafter.

You clearly either didn't read or comprehend what I said. In the playoffs, with minute management mostly out the window, it's easy to have at least one of Duncan/Aldridge and Leonard/Green in for virtually all meaningful minutes, if necessary. Doing so would take care of Anderson's contributions.
I did. Anderson was but a footnote in everything else I posted. I think they have other issues which I pointed out more extensively. I was not entirely disagreeing with you either, although I am of the opinion that if other guys don't show up Martin won't save them.

TD 21
04-22-2016, 04:47 PM
I did. Anderson was but a footnote in everything else I posted. I think they have other issues which I pointed out more extensively. I was not entirely disagreeing with you either, although I am of the opinion that if other guys don't show up Martin won't save them.

They do have other (bigger) issues, but they can't really do anything about those. This, they can. Obviously, he won't save them, but he'll give them a better chance.

tholdren
04-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Martin is streaky, play him like Belli and Neal should have been played: if he's on, keep him in, if not, pull the plug. Its obvious (Harden/westbrook/etc) any flailing drive to the rim is going to get the whistle. Spurs only have that in martin. take advantage.

SAGirl
04-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Was a there word on Kmart?
Was he sick for the last two games of the first round?

look_at_g_shred
04-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Was a there word on Kmart?
Was he sick for the last two games of the first round?
Yes

GSH
04-24-2016, 09:46 PM
I know his defense isn't good but he can actually hit the broadside of a barn and generate cheap free throws that this team desperately needs.

The most under-rated stat(s) of all, in my book is FTA/FGA and/or FTA Per 100 Possessions. A guy who can draw whistles and get to the FT line is able to save games for you. In tight playoff games, that can't be over-stated. When you're a few points behind, but making a run in the last couple of minutes, those FTA's let you score with the clock stopped.

Throughout his career, Martin has been extremely good at getting to the FT line. He's streaky, but he's still one hell of an asset to have going into the playoffs. I think the streaky play will limit the minutes he gets from Pop this post-season. But the OP is right - if and when the team needs instant offense, he's likely to get a look. Sometimes the only way to make up a deficit is to take some risks. Martin is a high-risk, high-reward kind of player.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Our outside shooting is inconsistent, wouldn't mind seeing him get some burn in the first half of games.

phxspurfan
05-12-2016, 03:24 AM
Bump

spursistan
05-15-2016, 12:17 AM
Where does K-Mart addition rank among the most useless Spurs mid- season transaction for the hype it had? :lol

Even Miler looked better in smaller sample/ role...I would rather retain 41-year-old Dre than him if we have a choice...

SD126
05-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Good bye...and good riddance.

Darius Bieber
05-15-2016, 12:34 AM
Where does K-Mart addition rank among the most useless Spurs mid- season transaction for the hype it had? :lol

Even Miler looked better in smaller sample/ role...I would rather retain 41-year-old Dre than him if we have a choice...

Can't be worse than Drew Gooden.

DMC
05-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Showed that PATFO knew they were in deep shit at the 1.

tholdren
05-15-2016, 08:23 AM
The most under-rated stat(s) of all, in my book is FTA/FGA and/or FTA Per 100 Possessions. A guy who can draw whistles and get to the FT line is able to save games for you. In tight playoff games, that can't be over-stated. When you're a few points behind, but making a run in the last couple of minutes, those FTA's let you score with the clock stopped.

Throughout his career, Martin has been extremely good at getting to the FT line. He's streaky, but he's still one hell of an asset to have going into the playoffs. I think the streaky play will limit the minutes he gets from Pop this post-season. But the OP is right - if and when the team needs instant offense, he's likely to get a look. Sometimes the only way to make up a deficit is to take some risks. Martin is a high-risk, high-reward kind of player.
And if you read a post in another thread, this is why SA lost. 30+ point differential at the line. Pop is an idiot, and kyle anderson is a wnba player.

BackHome
05-15-2016, 10:05 AM
If Green actually tries and hits a 3 pointer we not even having this conversation

tholdren
05-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Can't be worse than Drew Gooden.
This was the year he was doing something similarly as shitty playing Kurt Thomas instead of Gooden. I remember that Dallas series. Kurt Thomas for half the game and like 3 rebounds. Spurs fans everywhere loved this because of Kurt Thomas Defense. So no, KT is and was worse than Gooden. Same exact concept.

therealtruth
05-15-2016, 07:55 PM

He's the last true PG since TJ Ford.

HI-FI
05-15-2016, 08:28 PM

I liked the Dre move but did not like getting Martin. Nothing personal, just don't like his game.
I would much rather keep Miller if any of them are staying. Agree it has to be one of the most worthless transactions I recall.

therealtruth
05-16-2016, 06:51 AM
I liked the Dre move but did not like getting Martin. Nothing personal, just don't like his game.
I would much rather keep Miller if any of them are staying. Agree it has to be one of the most worthless transactions I recall.

The Spurs have got to learn how to get the foul line. Again Ginobili, TD used to be good at it. But when those jumpers are not falling your really need those free points to help get you going. Kmart's one of the best in the business at getting to the FT line.