PDA

View Full Version : Priorities Over Pride

coachmac87
04-11-2016, 08:12 PM
I've seen a lot of talk about 73 as expected since the Warriors pretty much sealed the deal on breaking the regular season record of 72 wins and congrats to them. But that chase of the record gave them the intensity and focus needed to beat the Spurs something the Spurs didn't have or couldn't match.

What was at stake for the Spurs? Pride? Undefeated home record? None of that matters lol. Not in the regular season. Not when you have role players 38,39,33,35,33 (Diaw) years old. Not when you've won Championships and been to 2 out of 3 Finals. Beating the Warriors was never a priority for the Spurs like it was for the Warriors. Would it have been nice? Sure. Winning is always a good thing tbh.

But the priority for the Spurs was to experiment and see what we can do and what we need to do in order to beat this team 4 times....and stay healthy. Pop and the Spurs have learned a lot in these last 3 games IMO. We've seen some things and I also still think there's tricks up the sleeve..

But everything changes in the WCF. Pride and Priorties are EXACTLY the same. We've got just as much to play for just like they will. I would expect to see intensity and focus from a team who has been through it all and I expect them to fight like they've never fought before. I can't wait to see it..

Believe

spurs10
04-11-2016, 08:55 PM
I expect the same from the Spurs. :bobo

TheDoctor
04-11-2016, 09:24 PM
I've seen a lot of talk about 73 as expected since the Warriors pretty much sealed the deal on breaking the regular season record of 72 wins and congrats to them. But that chase of the record gave them the intensity and focus needed to beat the Spurs something the Spurs didn't have or couldn't match.

What was at stake for the Spurs? Pride? Undefeated home record? None of that matters lol. Not in the regular season. Not when you have role players 38,39,33,35,33 (Diaw) years old. Not when you've won Championships and been to 2 out of 3 Finals. Beating the Warriors was never a priority for the Spurs like it was for the Warriors. Would it have been nice? Sure. Winning is always a good thing tbh.

But the priority for the Spurs was to experiment and see what we can do and what we need to do in order to beat this team 4 times....and stay healthy. Pop and the Spurs have learned a lot in these last 3 games IMO. We've seen some things and I also still think there's tricks up the sleeve..

But everything changes in the WCF. Pride and Priorties are EXACTLY the same. We've got just as much to play for just like they will. I would expect to see intensity and focus from a team who has been through it all and I expect them to fight like they've never fought before. I can't wait to see it..

Believe

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p6xYoL4NEvE/VY2wF_H467I/AAAAAAAAH0E/02fJg8292JM/s506/giphy.gif

200 miles
04-11-2016, 09:28 PM

Believe

That's nice and all, but there's still that little matter about that team in Oklahoma that's probably sick and tired of hearing "warriors and spurs, warriors and spurs".

So, you know, don't count your chickens just yet.

coachmac87
04-11-2016, 09:36 PM
That's nice and all, but there's still that little matter about that team in Oklahoma that's probably sick and tired of hearing "warriors and spurs, warriors and spurs".

So, you know, don't count your chickens just yet.

OKC won't be an easy task by any means.

sananspursfan21
04-11-2016, 09:37 PM
I mean, the only game the Spurs didn't stand a chance in was the first meeting. They were right there the whole time meetings 2 and 4 and the third they just looked lackadaisical in the middle but did well in the beginning and end. I'm not ready to give up just yet. The Mavericks in their hay day whooped the Spurs way worse in the regular season. Granted, the Warriors are better but beating them in 7 is not as out of reach as it seems.

Blackjack
04-11-2016, 09:40 PM
If the Spurs make it to GSW, the last two defensive efforts against them at least gives me hope.

They put the ball in the hole to their capabilities, the Spurs can beat them playing that kind of D - they need the Warriors having to play in the half-court after a made shot.

It's all about pace. The Spurs are grinding their gears, playing half-court offense while busting their ass on D. Every play and shot taking on my pressure than it should - resulting in shots being missed and turnovers being committed due to tenativeness or over-analysis; things that ignite transition offense and build confidence for the opposition.

They need easy buckets, plain and simple. They need to dominate the defensive glass, use quick outlets and be opportunistic in passing lanes. Don't mind turnovers if they're going into the third row or half the team hasn't even crossed half-court, at least GSW would have to throw the ball in or play in the half-court. They've just got to find ways to ignite the O. Running it down their throat, a la SAS-PHX, would be a great way to do it.

Definitely eager to see how it all shakes out. We've yet to see the Spurs play the way they're capable. Here's hoping they find their stride, at the right the time, one last time.

coachmac87
04-11-2016, 09:54 PM
If the Spurs make it to GSW, the last two defensive efforts against them at least gives me hope.

They put the ball in the hole to their capabilities, the Spurs can beat them playing that kind of D - they need the Warriors having to play in the half-court after a made shot.

It's all about pace. The Spurs are grinding their gears, playing half-court offense while busting their ass on D. Every play and shot taking on my pressure than it should - resulting in shots being missed and turnovers being committed due to tenativeness or over-analysis; things that ignite transition offense and build confidence for the opposition.

They need easy buckets, plain and simple. They need to dominate the defensive glass, use quick outlets and be opportunistic in passing lanes. Don't mind turnovers if they're going into the third row or half the team hasn't even crossed half-court, at least GSW would have to throw the ball in or play in the half-court. They've just got to find ways to ignite the O. Running it down their throat, a la SAS-PHX, would be a great way to do it.

Definitely eager to see how it all shakes out. We've yet to see the Spurs play the way they're capable. Here's hoping they find their stride, at the right the time, one last time.

Agreed. Still have to see how Warriors respond when they get punched in the mouth or feel intimidated...something they really didn't have to deal with last year and so far this year..

I mean is it just a coincidence Draymond Green got T'd up early in last two games?? That was a little odd to see IMO

Dro210
04-11-2016, 10:04 PM

Believe

:toast

skulls138
04-11-2016, 10:07 PM

Definitely eager to see how it all shakes out. We've yet to see the Spurs play the way they're capable. Here's hoping they find their stride, at the right the time, one last time.They just need to win plain and simple. We cant deny that Green and, lately, Mills have been struggling with the three ball, which was our bread and butter last championship, but the trick is to not let that infect everything else. It is what it is...until its not. We didnt win the game but GS barely made 90 points. So we just need a little more offense but our identity is as a defensive team. What I think needs to happen is SOME players need to be more aggressive under the hoop (coughLMAcough). Weve got to make the paint ours in all ways.

Id like to see how we do tomorrow against OKC with rebounds and boxing out, thats a good test.

Blackjack
04-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Agreed. Still have to see how Warriors respond when they get punched in the mouth or feel intimidated...something they really didn't have to deal with last year and so far this year..

I mean is it just a coincidence Draymond Green got T'd up early in last two games?? That was a little odd to see IMO

Green can easily be rattled, and the Spurs are probably the only team that still can put the doubt in GSW with their A Game. They just haven't been able to put the pressure on them enough offensively to put their backs against the wall and let any real tenativeness or doubt creep in - similar to Nash's Suns, only they're capable of getting stops.

They just need to win plain and simple. We cant deny that Green and, lately, Mills have been struggling with the three ball, which was our bread and butter last championship, but the trick is to not let that infect everything else. It is what it is...until its not. We didnt win the game but GS barely made 90 points. So we just need a little more offense but our identity is as a defensive team. What I think needs to happen is SOME players need to be more aggressive under the hoop (coughLMAcough). Weve got to make the paint ours in all ways.

Id like to see how we do tomorrow against OKC with rebounds and boxing out, thats a good test.

OKC is actually a great team to play, with regards to GSW. A lot of the same issues arise, specifically to turnovers leading to transition and having to score at a good clip because of the talent on the other end.

The 3-ball is such a huge part of the game now. The fact the Spurs' best shooters have been mostly MIA in the meetings with GSW, has been a big reason for their losses. It's bad enough they're not making them, it's also equating to what might as well be a turnover in transition with the long rebounds.

Yes, they're a great defensive team. But they've got to put the ball in the hole and make GSW play in the half-court to play that defense - can't do that with tenative play leading to turnovers and long rebounds getting the Warriors easy buckets.

Defense is great, gotta have it to be a champion. But you ain't gonna beat the champs on the scorecard if you don't let your hands go.

DenialTwist
04-12-2016, 08:08 AM
As some other NBA commentators have been saying after Game 4 against the warriors, the spurs revealed a lot on defense but they need to improve their offense. Why is it so hard to score? And why can't they hit threes, especially open threes? It seems like everyone settles for mid range jumpers and is afraid to get in the paint? Bogut isn't Whiteside, so I don't know what the big deal is. One bump to Bogut's knees and he's out, he is very injury prone. He isn't a man of steel so they need to attack the basket. Also when was the last time the spurs scored off a fastbreak? it seems like I only saw one with SloMo.

Phenomanul
04-12-2016, 08:37 AM
And then there is always Hack-a-Bogut... You know it can be used to take Golden State out of rhythm or when Curry is getting hot... Pop didn't use it at all during the regular season, but we all know that it is definitely an option he will consider...

Spurs9
04-12-2016, 09:20 AM
We just need to get back to our 14 levels of play. The heat looked like a unstoppable team at the time and we destroyed them tbh. Get away from the iso ball and help spread the defense a little but and make some 3's. Our dudes will start making 3s in the first 2 rounds and be ready for Golden State. I'm sure there is a slew of things Pop hasn't shown yet in games against the dubs. Getting tested in the first 2 rounds will be helpful in tough situations.

NameLess Scrub
04-12-2016, 09:35 AM
I've given up on expecting genius, series changing moves by Pop in this particular case.

If the Spurs get to the WCF and get lucky I'll take it.
Warriors had a lot of luck last year not to mention 2013 Heat.

SpursforSix
04-12-2016, 09:42 AM
We just need to get back to our 14 levels of play.

that's easier said than done. The biggest difference is that age and wear and tear looks like it's finally caught up with Timmy. But I'm hoping he can pull one more great playoffs out of the hat.

Spurs9
04-12-2016, 10:18 AM
that's easier said than done. The biggest difference is that age and wear and tear looks like it's finally caught up with Timmy. But I'm hoping he can pull one more great playoffs out of the hat.
They just need to move the ball more. Its turned into too much hero ball and holding the ball with iso postups. We aren't going to win playing like that.

SpursforSix
04-12-2016, 10:23 AM
They just need to move the ball more. Its turned into too much hero ball and holding the ball with iso postups. We aren't going to win playing like that.

I agree with too much iso. But without another consistent 3 point threat, the defense doesn't have to scramble as much. Which means they don't get as many of those passes to cutters for easy buckets. Green and Mills need to start knocking down shots.

urunobili
04-12-2016, 01:38 PM
They'll just play Green at center if they go hack a Bogut...