PDA

View Full Version : Spurs getting punked by Refs

coachmac87
04-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Like it's getting pathetic how we can't get a call..

SpursFan86
04-12-2016, 08:41 PM
We're playing OKC without KD/Westbrook/Ibaka...should be able to win this game with 0 FTA tbh

coachmac87
04-12-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm not only referring to this game...

Blackjack
04-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Has always been an issue for the Spurs, but it has a lot to do with how they play.

Other than Manu, prime Manu, how many Spurs can you name that took it to the heart of a defense and imposed their will to finish or draw a foul, regardless of contact?

They play Chess and try to execute like surgeons, offensively. Very white-collar - Manu brought the blue- collar to this team, and they miss the hell out of it.

Keepin' it real
04-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Like it's getting pathetic how we can't get a call..

What's pathetic is how old and ineffective Tim looks tonight.

SpursFan86
04-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Has always been an issue for the Spurs, but it has a lot to do with how they play.

Other than Manu, prime Manu, how many Spurs can you name that took it to the heart of a defense and imposed their will to finish or draw a foul, regardless of contact?

They play Chess and try to execute like surgeons, offensively. Very white-collar - Manu brought the blue- collar to this team, and they miss the hell out of it.

Exactly. We're a primarily jumpshooting team...that's not going to net you many FTs. The only two guys we have who consistently drive and get into the lane are Parker and Manu. Kawhi has started doing it a little more but he still depends primarily on jumpshots/post-ups.

Even Golden State, the darlings of the media/NBA, don't get a lot of FTs for this same reason. They're 25th in the league when it comes to FT rate; the Spurs are 27th.

daslicer
04-12-2016, 09:28 PM
I remember Pop speaking out against the ref union way back in November. I wonder if the refs have held a grudge against the spurs due to Pop criticizing the ref union.

DPG21920
04-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Even with the Sprus being a jump shooting team, there are still plenty of times they don't get the calls they do draw.

in2deep
04-12-2016, 09:31 PM
We're playing OKC without KD/Westbrook/Ibaka...should be able to win this game with 0 FTA tbh

:lmao complaining about refs n this game :lol

Harry Callahan
04-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Leonard had to scream and beg to get proper calls (while getting the crap beaten out of him), and OKC gets a 2 and a half step and 1. Putrid. BS.

Chris
04-12-2016, 09:48 PM
They're exceptionally terrible tonight

Chris
04-12-2016, 09:50 PM
FUCKING TERRIBLE CALL

Robz4000
04-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Jesus fucking Christ had grape fruit sized hail

coachmac87
04-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Yeah I'm in Odessa but hearing SA is getting killed by a random dangerous storm...

GSH
04-12-2016, 10:19 PM
The Spurs punked themselves. Missing their first 4 FT's to open the game. Getting the shit beaten out of them on the glass. Getting just 15 AST on 37 made FG's - and not even getting as many AST's as OKC's bench. OKC commits 21 TO's and the Spurs can only stretch that into 9 fast break points. Duncan and West a combined 8-25 shooting (including a bricked dunk by West that would have let the game end without OT).

The refs made some bad calls, and one REALLY bad jump-ball toss. But the Spurs punked themselves.

GSH
04-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Jesus fucking Christ had grape fruit sized hail

Damn I really hate hearing that. It just tears the shit out of everything. I don't care if you're insured, it just sucks seeing that happen to your stuff. Hope it quits soon.

palangi
04-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Even with the Sprus being a jump shooting team, there are still plenty of times they don't get the calls they do draw.
Not to mention Golden State is a jump shooting team too. They seem to get plenty of calls.

coachmac87
04-12-2016, 10:22 PM
B
The Spurs punked themselves. Missing their first 4 FT's to open the game. Getting the shit beaten out of them on the glass. Getting just 15 AST on 37 made FG's - and not even getting as many AST's as OKC's bench. OKC commits 21 TO's and the Spurs can only stretch that into 9 fast break points. Duncan and West a combined 8-25 shooting (including a bricked dunk by West that would have let the game end without OT).

The refs made some bad calls, and one REALLY bad jump-ball toss. But the Spurs punked themselves.

In general tho the last couple of games it's been inconsistent..not isolating this game

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2016, 10:24 PM
They probably got some calls due to being shorthanded, tbh..that tends to happen with teams that are essentially throwing the game, 50/50 calls generally go their way..

That Anthony Morrow kickout:lol

GSH
04-12-2016, 10:27 PM
In general tho the last couple of games it's been inconsistent..not isolating this game

Not denying some ref problems. Maybe some calls affected the scores, but the Spurs still looked like shit - especially on offense, and the glass. Better calls wouldn't have made their play any less shit. Even if they had somehow won the GSW game, and not gone to OT tonight - they still played like shit. When you play like that, you can't overcome a few bad calls.

coachmac87
04-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Not denying some ref problems. Maybe some calls affected the scores, but the Spurs still looked like shit - especially on offense, and the glass. Better calls wouldn't have made their play any less shit. Even if they had somehow won the GSW game, and not gone to OT tonight - they still played like shit. When you play like that, you can't overcome a few bad calls.

Agreed. But still all you can ask is an even playing field when it comes to officiating. I feel that hasn't been the case..not saying it's caused our poor play but it can fuck with a players head..surprised Pop hasn't gotten tossed tbh

GSH
04-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Agreed. But still all you can ask is an even playing field when it comes to officiating. I feel that hasn't been the case..not saying it's caused our poor play but it can fuck with a players head..surprised Pop hasn't gotten tossed tbh

LOL... oh holy shit, I thought he was gonna get tossed with 20 seconds left in the Warriors' game, or at least a T. Earlier in the game, too - it reminded me of that scene from Bull Durham where Costner is just begging the umpire to boot him.

coachmac87
04-12-2016, 10:41 PM
LOL... oh holy shit, I thought he was gonna get tossed with 20 seconds left in the Warriors' game, or at least a T. Earlier in the game, too - it reminded me of that scene from Bull Durham where Costner is just begging the umpire to boot him.

Oh he was begging to be tossed for sure :lmao

sasaint
04-12-2016, 10:41 PM

I don't remember Pop's getting tossed this season. Has he? He usually gets about one a year. Maybe he's saving it for the playoffs this season.

GSH
04-12-2016, 10:46 PM
I don't remember Pop's getting tossed this season. Has he? He usually gets about one a year. Maybe he's saving it for the playoffs this season.

Didn't he get tossed early in one, and leave Messina at the helm? Or am I just remembering a game or two when he was taking care of family business?

Seems like I remember him heading for the locker room in the first half.

sasaint
04-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Didn't he get tossed early in one, and leave Messina at the helm? Or am I just remembering a game or two when he was taking care of family business?

Seems like I remember him heading for the locker room in the first half.

All I remember Messina coaching were those games that Pop took off for personal reasons. But my memory has failed me on more important things, tbh. :lol

Blackjack
04-12-2016, 11:06 PM

True, Dudarino.

But it has a lot to do with anticipation and expectation. Refs ain't looking for nuance most times. They know the Spurs typically look to avoid contact and don't force the issue with plays that say: "Fuck, probably gotta call something there."

Refs are going to miss calls and award the aggressor. The Spurs are way to often not the aggressor, giving them less opportunities to be rewarded, having the missed calls looking much more significant to their supporters.

Tell'Em, you done good. Way to hold down the board. THC lives. :smokin

diego
04-12-2016, 11:09 PM

you are selling prime timmy short, but I understand why because manu was in pop's own words "hell bent for leather"
this team for me was trying to be like the 05 team with leonard and aldridge playing manu and tim. The problem is that manu and tim complemented each other, manu could setup tim and play off of him, they were dominant attacking the rim and they put a lot of pressure on defenses when they worked in tandem and it resulted in a lot of fouls. Leonard and aldridge just dont have that, they operate almost independently, both are primarily mid range jump shooters on offense, they provide relatively little penetration and inside scoring. come to think of it tp/td and even tp/manu complement each other better than leonard / aldridge. Its too late to expect aldridge to change much more than he already has, but Leonard needs to improve his ability to get to the rim and finish, no excuse for a guy his age/size/hands to not be at least above average attacking the basket.

GSH
04-12-2016, 11:11 PM
All I remember Messina coaching were those games that Pop took off for personal reasons. But my memory has failed me on more important things, tbh. :lol

Nope... here it is. It was worth seeing again. :lol

Vintage Pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjY4dvuCi-s

sasaint
04-13-2016, 12:10 AM
:lol Pop stalking the chickref.

I think his tirade was over a series earlier than the clip shows. I couldn't see anything.

Thanks, GSH. :toast

UZER
04-13-2016, 12:43 AM
:lol Pop stalking the chickref.

I think his tirade was over a series earlier than the clip shows. I couldn't see anything.

Thanks, GSH. :toast

Pop always has an angle. He was doing it for equal rights.

DPG21920
04-13-2016, 12:50 AM
True, Dudarino.

But it has a lot to do with anticipation and expectation. Refs ain't looking for nuance most times. They know the Spurs typically look to avoid contact and don't force the issue with plays that say: "Fuck, probably gotta call something there."

Refs are going to miss calls and award the aggressor. The Spurs are way to often not the aggressor, giving them less opportunities to be rewarded, having the missed calls looking much more significant to their supporters.

Tell'Em, you done good. Way to hold down the board. THC lives. :smokin

No doubt - good to see you around & here's to a great playoffs :tu

SAGirl
04-13-2016, 01:07 AM
He got tossed in early season game against Minny. Messiah finished coaching it. Boban had a huge game.

SAGirl
04-13-2016, 01:14 AM
you are selling prime timmy short, but I understand why because manu was in pop's own words "hell bent for leather"
this team for me was trying to be like the 05 team with leonard and aldridge playing manu and tim. The problem is that manu and tim complemented each other, manu could setup tim and play off of him, they were dominant attacking the rim and they put a lot of pressure on defenses when they worked in tandem and it resulted in a lot of fouls. Leonard and aldridge just dont have that, they operate almost independently, both are primarily mid range jump shooters on offense, they provide relatively little penetration and inside scoring. come to think of it tp/td and even tp/manu complement each other better than leonard / aldridge. Its too late to expect aldridge to change much more than he already has, but Leonard needs to improve his ability to get to the rim and finish, no excuse for a guy his age/size/hands to not be at least above average attacking the basket.
Good point regarding Leonard Aldridge two man game.

Obstructed_View
04-13-2016, 01:48 AM
By the time they awarded that ridiculous continuation, we were just laughing about it like Duncan on the sidelines of the Joey Crawford game. When they threw up that ridiculous jump ball right to the OKC player, my wife said, "What the fuck was that?" I had to :lmao

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Adams should have fouled out last night. I counted at least 5 times he visibly shoved Boban in the back and the refs only called one. It's good to have a game like this b/c this is something Pop can to send to the league to review and hopefully this shit doesn't continue in the playoffs.

diego
04-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Boban just doesn't get calls, the other day vs gsw speights clobbered him at least twice (one was the dunk) no call, in that same stretch dubs were shooting two off minimal contact. Yes he has defensive lapses, but when refs basically give players a pass to foul him it makes it that much harder for him to make it up on the other end.

UZER
04-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Adams should have fouled out last night. I counted at least 5 times he visibly shoved Boban in the back and the refs only called one. It's good to have a game like this b/c this is something Pop can to send to the league to review and hopefully this shit doesn't continue in the playoffs.

Boban just doesn't get calls, the other day vs gsw speights clobbered him at least twice (one was the dunk) no call, in that same stretch dubs were shooting two off minimal contact. Yes he has defensive lapses, but when refs basically give players a pass to foul him it makes it that much harder for him to make it up on the other end.

It's up to Boban to establish himself as a monstrr. The only thing that's smaller guys can do is intimidate him and the refs will let it happen as long as Boban keeps taking it and doesn't stand up for himself.

It's not his temperament but he needs to be more Shaq and less My Giant.

Kawhitstorm
04-13-2016, 08:44 AM

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/44/52/45/9611631/13/1024x1024.jpg

NameLess Scrub
04-13-2016, 09:14 AM
The commentators even called it when the ref tossed the ball to Roberson.
They also complimented Adams on a box out that was literally him pushing Boban for the rebound.

The refs are supposed to have a better eye for calling a game than a regular guy.

I mean, I agree good teams overcome some bad calls, some 50/50 calls that didn't go their way.
Refs will always be human. But it's very hard to win close games if they can't get at least the calls that are supposed to be obvious and the calls that are similar to the ones the other team gets.

Blackjack
04-13-2016, 09:35 PM
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/44/52/45/9611631/13/1024x1024.jpg

:lmao

Blackjack
04-13-2016, 10:20 PM

Selling Tim short?

Tim may have lacked the benefit of the whistle more than any superstar I've seen in the last 30 years. One of his biggest problems, imo, is he tried to absorb contact down low, prepare for it and make moves accordingly, in an effort to make the shot or play. He very rarely went through people trying to tear off the rim or make the ref make a call. As he lost a step and got older, maybe stole some tricks from Manu, he started to try and sell shit that was or wasn't there. But he's never gotten to the line as much as he could or should . Shaq probably got fouled more, but the dude could've have been called for an offensive foul just as much.

The post wasn't about Manu, it's what he used to bring to the team, consistently. It was a huge part of the title runs, having someone who could manufacture points when the offense stalled or lacked rhythm. Someone who could settle the team in a tough spot with their play and build confidence and momentum with their physicality and aggessiveness.

DPG is right, they're generating pretty decent offense. But they ain't making the shots they've proven to be capable of. Gotta be between the ears... and seeing the ball go through the net with easy transition buckets and getting to the free-throw line is really the only way most find their shot - I'm just not seeing the aggression from a player or coaching stanpoint towards those ends.

They're too damn talented to be this inconsistent offensively. Too basic, too slow, too much thinking.

UZER
04-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Every time a moving screen gets called in a Warriors game, it always on the opponent when they just barely slide or leans in a little bit. :lol

diego
04-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Selling Tim short?

Tim may have lacked the benefit of the whistle more than any superstar I've seen in the last 30 years. One of his biggest problems, imo, is he tried to absorb contact down low, prepare for it and make moves accordingly, in an effort to make the shot or play. He very rarely went through people trying to tear off the rim or make the ref make a call. As he lost a step and got older, maybe stole some tricks from Manu, he started to try and sell shit that was or wasn't there. But he's never gotten to the line as much as he could or should . Shaq probably got fouled more, but the dude could've have been called for an offensive foul just as much.

The post wasn't about Manu, it's what he used to bring to the team, consistently. It was a huge part of the title runs, having someone who could manufacture points when the offense stalled or lacked rhythm. Someone who could settle the team in a tough spot with their play and build confidence and momentum with their physicality and aggessiveness.

DPG is right, they're generating pretty decent offense. But they ain't making the shots they've proven to be capable of. Gotta be between the ears... and seeing the ball go through the net with easy transition buckets and getting to the free-throw line is really the only way most find their shot - I'm just not seeing the aggression from a player or coaching stanpoint towards those ends.

They're too damn talented to be this inconsistent offensively. Too basic, too slow, too much thinking.

by advanced and normal stats young tim drew more fouls than manu. about 07 onwards there is a marked downward trend, despite similar minutes. like i said in my last post, duncan didnt have manus flair/recklessness but he did a lot of work down low, he used to be pretty quick, and he got to the line a lot because of it. as he got older he moved further away from the basket and got fouled less. neither aldridge nor leonard are even close to either manu and less to tim in FTA/100poss, neither peak nor career.

agree the post wasnt about manu, it was about aldridge and leonard not being more physical, more aggressive, and drawing more fouls at the basket for those easy points (not to mention the psychological toll it has on the opponent), and how in comparison tim and manu did do that- i connected the two because that was the kind of play i was hoping pop would get from leonard and aldridge. at this point of the year, Im glad aldridge at least looks pretty comfortable, but the amount of mid range Js between them is substantially more than i like and that reflects in the fta difference.

Blackjack
04-14-2016, 09:34 PM
by advanced and normal stats young tim drew more fouls than manu. about 07 onwards there is a marked downward trend, despite similar minutes. like i said in my last post, duncan didnt have manus flair/recklessness but he did a lot of work down low, he used to be pretty quick, and he got to the line a lot because of it. as he got older he moved further away from the basket and got fouled less. neither aldridge nor leonard are even close to either manu and less to tim in FTA/100poss, neither peak nor career.

agree the post wasnt about manu, it was about aldridge and leonard not being more physical, more aggressive, and drawing more fouls at the basket for those easy points (not to mention the psychological toll it has on the opponent), and how in comparison tim and manu did do that- i connected the two because that was the kind of play i was hoping pop would get from leonard and aldridge. at this point of the year, Im glad aldridge at least looks pretty comfortable, but the amount of mid range Js between them is substantially more than i like and that reflects in the fta difference.

Agree, two different ways of getting to the same point.

I used Manu because of the way I believe they need to play with a faster pace and the way you have to attack in today's NBA.

If Tim was in his prime, things might be different - including the roster.

LMA will never be Tim, or even close. And as much as I hate the jump-shooting nature of his game, he's better playing his game than trying to be someone else. He would have been a perfect high-low partner with Tony if TP could still get to the rim like he used to - getting those paint-points like a Big that made him the weapon he was.

KL definitely needs to be the one. He's the only one who has the legs and talent to get to the line at good rate, consistently - who you can play without losing huge at the other end, anyway. (Sorry, K-Mart)

FromWayDowntown
04-15-2016, 11:49 AM
For whatever it's worth (and with virtually no surprises) here's the list of officials who will work the NBA playoffs in 2016:

http://official.nba.com/2016-nba-playoff-officials-round-one/

Bennie Adams
Mark Ayotte
Tony Brothers
Tony Brown
Mike Callahan
James Capers
Derrick Collins
Sean Corbin
Danny Crawford
Marc Davis
Kane Fitzgerald
Brian Forte
Scott Foster
Pat Fraher
Ron Garretson
John Goble
David Guthrie
Bill Kennedy
Courtney Kirkland
Eric Lewis
Mark Lindsay
Ed Malloy
Ken Mauer
Monty McCutchen
Rodney Mott
Jason Phillips
Leroy Richardson
Michael Smith
Bill Spooner
Derrick Stafford
Josh Tiven
Tom Washington
James Williams
Sean Wright
Zach Zarba
Gary Zielinski

UZER
04-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Where's Joey Crawford when you need him.

FromWayDowntown
04-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Where's Joey Crawford when you need him.

Probably in the replay center . . . .

coachmac87
05-03-2016, 01:04 PM
You really can't make this shit up..

Kawhi not getting respect. Refs missing easy calls but make them up with worst calls. Remember when Durant caught his own shot on Patty then gets called for a "push off"?

Thunder shoot 14 FTs before Spurs get their first.

I saw this coming. Teams are allowed to maul the Spurs and it's disgusting