PDA

View Full Version : Boban is ready to contribute in the Playoffs

MultiTroll
04-12-2016, 11:58 PM
If this guy :pop: benches him, I will hunt that guy down and there will be ____ to pay.

Boban with a very good all around game tonight vs OKC. Adams is not a slouch.

look_at_g_shred
Water is wet

dabom
:bobo

PopTheGOAT
04-13-2016, 12:01 AM
He'll get first round minutes and that's about it, I'd bet

ElNono
04-13-2016, 12:02 AM
not really.... plus Bonbon has the corporate knowledge

steeledl
04-13-2016, 12:02 AM
Yeah, probably not.

SpursFan86
04-13-2016, 12:20 AM
It really just depends on the matchup. Against any lineup with a guard/wing who is great at running PnRs, he'll probably be a liability.

dabom
04-13-2016, 12:21 AM
It really just depends on the matchup. Against any lineup with a guard/wing who is great at running PnRs, he'll probably be a liability.
Dumbass. :lmao

FromWayDowntown
04-13-2016, 12:23 AM
If this guy :pop: benches him, I will hunt that guy down and there will be ____ to pay.

No you won't, and no there won't.

SpursFan86
04-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Dumbass. :lmao

I mean if you want to watch Boban deal with Westbrook/KD/Curry (and those guys will be playing 40+ minutes in the playoffs, so it's not like there will be a lot of time when those guys are sitting for him to come in and make an impact) in a PnR situation that's on you...I'll pass on that though.

houston spurs fan
04-13-2016, 12:27 AM
If Boban sees any meaningful minutes we're toast

houston spurs fan
04-13-2016, 12:28 AM
Obviously a complete idiot here who doesn't watch the games...

dabom
04-13-2016, 12:47 AM
I mean if you want to watch Boban deal with Westbrook/KD/Curry (and those guys will be playing 40+ minutes in the playoffs, so it's not like there will be a lot of time when those guys are sitting for him to come in and make an impact) in a PnR situation that's on you...I'll pass on that though.

I'm not going to go into detail on why but your logic is backwards dude. :lol

Gutter92
04-13-2016, 01:13 AM
I disagree with you but don't know why so I'll just decline to go into detail

Fair enough...

hooperflash
04-13-2016, 01:20 AM

dabom
04-13-2016, 01:23 AM
:lol

MultiTroll
04-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Boom!
Another solid outing vs Mavs tonight.

I'm gonna include this to mean not only Pop but any dumbf posters who do not see the power of the Boban.

Keepin' it real
04-13-2016, 09:36 PM
DNP-CD

Many of those coming up for Boban.

FromWayDowntown
04-13-2016, 09:39 PM
I'm gonna include this to mean not only Pop but any dumbf posters who do not see the power of the Boban.

Oh, so you're not really going to hunt Pop down?

And there really won't be anything for Pop to pay?

I'm shocked. This is shocking.

MultiTroll
04-13-2016, 09:46 PM
Oh, so you're not really going to hunt Pop down?

And there really won't be anything for Pop to pay?

I'm shocked. This is shocking.
I did not withdraw my promise to hunt down pop.
Try another tactic, counselor.

FromWayDowntown
04-13-2016, 09:52 PM
I did not withdraw my promise to hunt down pop.
Try another tactic, counselor.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259412&p=8528658&viewfull=1#post8528658

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Memphis isn't a legit playoff team, Boban should see some minutes against them, tbh..

Not sure what Pop will do in round 2, but I expect Boban to play in that series, as well, since West has looked overmatched against OKC's bigs..

MultiTroll
04-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Dude are you at some extended Happy Hour bar where lawyers hang out?
'Bobs played 37 minutes tonight and delivered a healthy double double. 22/12.
He will do this a lot.

I want him playing in the playoffs, and if Popped benches him (meaning zero minutes or some token 1 or 2 a game) I will then hunt Pop down.

The playoffs have not started.

FromWayDowntown
04-13-2016, 09:59 PM
I want him playing in the playoffs, and if Popped benches him (meaning zero minutes or some token 1 or 2 a game) I will then hunt Pop down.

DarrinS
04-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Incredibly efficient on the offensive end, but he sometimes looks confused on the other end. Lots of potential tho.

MultiTroll
04-19-2016, 11:21 PM
Game 1: 10 minutes 3-5 including a Boban power dunk. Good job on D.
Game 2: Pock held him out until very late. Still got 7 minutes in garbage time. Looked fine.

Acceptable. Pop will not be hunted down at this time.

Spurs9
04-19-2016, 11:22 PM
We go as far as Boban wants to take us.

MultiTroll
04-27-2016, 08:31 AM
http://i.imgbox.com/OIrTSzzO.gif
Bring it on.

GSH
04-27-2016, 10:29 AM
If the Spurs are somehow able to use this time off to teach him how to run the PnR (and how to set a pick in general), then he might see more than token minutes. On the defensive end, the other teams are still able to suck him out to where they want him to be, far to easily.

I love Bobi, but there's a lot to be said for experience, and having seen it all before. Especially in the playoffs. Ibaka has pretty much seen it all. This is Kanter's 5th year, and his development is light years from his first season (which is where Boban is). I think Boban will get the best of Adams, and get him into foul trouble. That, in and of itself, would be a big success.

All the talk about stalking a public figure? Not wise, but I guess that's your business. I don't want anything to do with that kind of talk.

MultiTroll
04-27-2016, 10:46 AM
^^ The very 1st play when he came in one of the Grizzleys games. Set very nice pic, rolled and did the nifty banker while getting hacked for the 2+1.
As to his D, yes he can improve, but how many times has Tim Duncan been butt fried this season? LMA? I've seen DWest get fried a few times. It happens in any NBA game. The notion that Boban is a sieve is just wrong. (You did not call him that)

Experience is good, yes. The notion that rookies cannot contribute and therefore must be benched is loserville hardheadedness.

Chinook
04-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Bring it on.

I know that Danny is just trying to get back into position to shoot a three, but it really looks like he's backing away in awe of Boban.

GSH
04-27-2016, 11:02 AM
^^ The very 1st play when he came in one of the Grizzleys games. Set very nice pic, rolled and did the nifty banker while getting hacked for the 2+1.
As to his D, yes he can improve, but how many times has Tim Duncan been butt fried this season? LMA? I've seen DWest get fried a few times. It happens in any NBA game. The notion that Boban is a sieve is just wrong. (You did not call him that)

Experience is good, yes. The notion that rookies cannot contribute and therefore must be benched is loserville hardheadedness.

He's getting older, and young bigs are able to get the best of Tim, at times, who never could have a few years ago. But I don't know that there has ever been at time when Tim didn't know where to be on the floor. It's been clear that Boban just doesn't know where to be at times. That's a huge difference. If for no other reason than Tim can get help from other players. Boban gets stuck out in No-Man's-Land, and the Spurs defense is just playing 4-on-5 when that happens. I really do like the guy, but I'm not going to let that blind me to what I see.

I thought the same thing when he came into that first Griz game. Even commented that it looked like they had worked with him in the break. If they've done more of that between rounds, it will help. But whatever he shows (if Pop plays him), the Thunder will figure out in the first film session. If Ibaka and Kanter are beating the Spurs up in the middle, Pop may not have any choice but to try Boban, so I won't say it can't happen. But he's in pretty much the same place as any rookie big fresh out of college. It's just not fair to expect too much.

cutewizard
04-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Boban can improve...........

cutewizard
04-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Boban will dunk!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Spurtacular
04-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Handle the business at home; and then throw Boban into the mix in OKC and catch 'em a bit off guard.

GSH
04-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Handle the business at home; and then throw Boban into the mix in OKC and catch 'em a bit off guard.

That's actually a helluva idea, IMO. If he's at his best, he could do a lot to quiet that crowd.

Seventyniner
04-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Bring it on.

Boban Marjanovic dunks on Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, Steven Adams, and the entire Thunder organization!

04-27-2016, 01:02 PM
I know that Danny is just trying to get back into position to shoot a three, but it really looks like he's backing away in awe of Boban.

"Run for your lives!"

dabom
04-27-2016, 08:33 PM

Top 10 post of the year. :toast

EVAY
04-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Boban Marjanovic dunks on Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, Steven Adams, and the entire Thunder organization!

The thing that strikes me so much about that dunk scene is just how many times Boban was fouled on that play, and none of them were called.

hater
04-27-2016, 08:45 PM
"he runs funny. His career will be over any minute now" - spursfan

:lmao

UZER
04-27-2016, 09:23 PM
The thing that strikes me so much about that dunk scene is just how many times Boban was fouled on that play, and none of them were called.

That's why it's up to him to make the officials adjust to him. Next year, maybe even the POs but doubt it, he needs to come out like Shaq and just bully guys, even if the refs calls fouls early in the season. Eventually they will adapt to his physical play. Then, THEN when they've adjusted, he can break out the finesse he possesses. It's a lose the battle win the war approach.

SpursFan86
04-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Again I ask people here: do you trust Boban to be in the game while Westbrook and/or KD are in? How do you think he'd fare in PnR situations with those two?

I have no doubts that Boban is a legitimate NBA player, but I do doubt how much he could contribute in a series like this one where the other team is going to have an elite PnR player for nearly the entire game. If Donovan is dumb enough to sit both Westbrook and KD at the same time, sure, give Boban some minutes. But if either of those guys are out there, I feel like Boban would just get completely exploited in the PnR.

dabom
04-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Low IQ posters. :lmao

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2016, 11:00 PM
Again I ask people here: do you trust Boban to be in the game while Westbrook and/or KD are in? How do you think he'd fare in PnR situations with those two?

I have no doubts that Boban is a legitimate NBA player, but I do doubt how much he could contribute in a series like this one where the other team is going to have an elite PnR player for nearly the entire game. If Donovan is dumb enough to sit both Westbrook and KD at the same time, sure, give Boban some minutes. But if either of those guys are out there, I feel like Boban would just get completely exploited in the PnR.

Everything here applies to West as well, though..

GSH
04-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Low IQ posters. :lmao

"Low IQ posters" with an emoji. What the fuck does that even mean? If you have an opinion, say it. Disagree with someone - say why.

Why are you even here, other than having a place to say nasty shit to people anonymously? You clearly don't want to go someplace like 4chan, where that's mostly all they do. So obviously you enjoy fucking up legitimate discussions more. You need professional help every bit as badly as UNT did.

Dro210
04-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Everything here applies to West as well, though..

And then some... Kanter can work West without the help of the PnR

tbh

MultiTroll
04-27-2016, 11:34 PM
As already noted, how much better will West be. For that matter have you checked Timmy Duncs lateral movement lately.

For OKC, how are YOU going to defend the Boban near the rim?
See .gif again.

Vito Corleone
04-28-2016, 12:18 AM
I would be okay giving Boban an extended role in this series, fact is, he causes some serious match up issues for the Thunder. They are no closer to being able to defend him than he is of being able to defend Westbrook on a switch.

Fireball
04-28-2016, 05:35 AM
I doubt he will play ...

fonzy16
04-28-2016, 06:19 AM
If/when they play boban, SAS will probably defend in 2-3 zone, so Boban doesnt get exposed on PnR on D. I saw, they tried a couple of zone D in one of last games in regular season ... i think against Memphis(?) with boban staying in the paint.
If OKC cant hit 3s, then zone defense with boban in middle could work. IMHO :)

...and Duncan as well.

kuato
04-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Boban is a great player, his limitations are related to his size, not his bb-iq. Pop is learning how to use him in the spurs rotation, he could be very disruptive in both ends of the game

SAGirl
04-28-2016, 11:04 AM
I hope this is not one of those situations where Pop doesn't play a guy bc he's a rookie. I suspect the rotation bigs get first dibs and if they fail, then Boban will get his chance. POP tested him against OKC though the last two games of the season, so it's not as if he hasn't contemplated scenarios where Boban could play. In one of them he struggled (Westbrook and Durant played), the other he dominated (the duo didn't play). I think Pop has given a good look at Boban and knows when he will be able to help. He may want to spare Timmy too and not have him getting punishment 30+ minutes. Boban can tire OKC bigs out too, an underrated aspect, and one of the things Pop uses his bench and depth for.

.G.
04-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Dat Bobinator dunk is fucking ferocious. Hope Pop plays him. I can see him giving their bigs a hard time. Time will tell.

dabom
04-28-2016, 04:02 PM
"Low IQ posters" with an emoji. What the fuck does that even mean? If you have an opinion, say it. Disagree with someone - say why.

Why are you even here, other than having a place to say nasty shit to people anonymously? You clearly don't want to go someplace like 4chan, where that's mostly all they do. So obviously you enjoy fucking up legitimate discussions more. You need professional help every bit as badly as UNT did.

Your whole post is bitter. :lol

Emperor
04-28-2016, 05:34 PM
This is the series where all of our bigs will be the x-factor. Rebounding will be crucial and wouldn't be surprised to see them insert Bonner at times to pull Ibaka further away from the paint.

wildbill2u
04-29-2016, 11:26 AM
I'd like to see more fire and bullying from Boban when down on the block. He still seems to be a bit cautious. And he really needs to learn how to set a hard pick. All too often, he begins to move away from the pick before our guard or wing gets there and that ruins the pnr process.

Bobi, you have some fouls to give. Make sure they feel them. Pay them back for all those fouls they hit you with under the rim. It's allowed. Really.

philldafunk
04-29-2016, 11:49 AM
I really don't see him getting any minutes in this series.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2016, 11:57 AM
One problem with the "well, West and Duncan don't offer great mobility anymore" argument is that West and (particularly Duncan) have something that Boban does not -- credibility with officials. If there's a play where Westbrook barrels into Duncan and the the shot is blocked cleanly, there's a very reasonable chance that the officials will either correctly make no call or even call an offensive foul. If that same play occurs with Boban, the odds that Boban gets the benefit of the whistle are substantially smaller, as unjust as that seems.

I think Boban is a real NBA player, but I agree with the idea that there are matchups that just aren't for him except in very small doses. It would surprise me to see Boban get meaningful minutes (i.e., minutes when games aren't already decided) in the absence of significant foul trouble to the Spurs' other bigs.

Keepin' it real
04-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Bring it on.

OKC blues

http://smurflove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/gargamel_chases_smurfs.jpg

tholdren
04-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Boban and martin

GSH
04-29-2016, 10:39 PM
I'm looking forward to finding out that the Spurs put in some plays for Boban in these practices. I hope, anyway. Under the right conditions, Boban can pile up a lot of points. He's got a full season under his belt now. I really hope they have a few new wrinkles to take advantage of him. The surprise factor alone could be worth a game in this series.

Martin is probably the best on this team at drawing fouls. And Kanter is foul prone. If Pop sends K-Mart at Kanter, and he manages to get him into foul trouble, he really could be a difference maker in this series. He's such a streaky shooter that you never know what you'll get. But he's exactly the guy to take Kanter out of the game, IMO.

MaNu4Tres
04-29-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm looking forward to finding out that the Spurs put in some plays for Boban in these practices. I hope, anyway. Under the right conditions, Boban can pile up a lot of points. He's got a full season under his belt now. I really hope they have a few new wrinkles to take advantage of him. The surprise factor alone could be worth a game in this series.

Martin is probably the best on this team at drawing fouls. And Kanter is foul prone. If Pop sends K-Mart at Kanter, and he manages to get him into foul trouble, he really could be a difference maker in this series. He's such a streaky shooter that you never know what you'll get. But he's exactly the guy to take Kanter out of the game, IMO.

I don't want 2016 Kevin Martin having the ball hardly ever in this series.

If there is a gameplan to get Kanter in foul trouble, leave it to Manu, Tony, Kawhi, LA, TD since Kanter sees minutes vs. starters and bench players.

dabom
04-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Manu with the guuds.

GSH
04-30-2016, 12:00 AM
I don't want 2016 Kevin Martin having the ball hardly ever in this series.

If there is a gameplan to get Kanter in foul trouble, leave it to Manu, Tony, Kawhi, LA, TD since Kanter sees minutes vs. starters and bench players.

Like it or not, Martin has been one of the best in the league at sucking out fouls, and he turns the ball over a lot less (per possession) than Manu. He's a guy who can frustrate the shit out of a guy like Kanter, and get him into foul trouble.

If he's shooting much at all in the playoffs, it's probably a bad sign. But taking it to the rim and going to the FT line is a lot of what he's here for, IMO. And Enes Kanter is the perfect target. Hell, he could have Kanter on the bench in 4-5 possessions. So, no, I don't want him shooting. But he's definitely not been a turnover magnet, and Pop wouldn't have to risk Manu picking up a cheap offensive foul. Just saying.

Manu with the guuds.

Someone got his ass spanked like a schoolgirl, and has a bit of the redass. Sweet.

Snaq O'Meal
04-30-2016, 06:29 AM
OKC blues

http://smurflove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/gargamel_chases_smurfs.jpg

JeffDuncan
04-30-2016, 11:03 AM

Yes, I would trust Boban in a game against OKC. Some observations.

Neither KD nor Westbrook would ever be Boban's primary responsibility. They would be guarded by Leonard and Green. Boban's assignment would always be against whatever bigs OKC has on the court. Boban would have to help out on Wb and KD sometimes, but either Leonard or Green should always be close by.

In the March 26 game at OKC where Pop rested the Spurs top 5 players, KD was 5 for 7 from 3pt range. That's obviously nothing to do with Boban, he would never be expected to guard KD at the 3pt line.

Again in that Mar 26 game, Boban gave Steven Adams fits. Adams had a rough time against him. Boban played 27 min in that game and had zero fouls, btw. I'd like to see Boban in the game, for at least a few minutes, whenever he'd be up against Adams. Adams doesn't shoot 3s, so no worry about Boban having to guard at the 3pt line. I believe Adams has only two 3pt attempts in his entire career. Adams is a pretty good center, but he cannot physically handle Boban.

Youtube has Boban highlights for both the Mar 26 and Apr 12 Thunder games.

Now, about PnR specifically, I don't know. I haven't seen enough of PnR with KD + Wb to call it. Something to look at further.

Anyway, sure, I'd play Boban some against OKC. Especially against Adams, whether KD and Wb are on the floor at the same time or not.

urunobili
04-30-2016, 11:34 AM
I think he's ready to contribute for sure. The question is, is Pop ready to give him steady minutes from game one and not wait to be on a hole for it? I can't remember what series was in the 14 run that Baynes was given solid minutes in one of the series...

MultiTroll
05-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Great job putting him in the 2nd qtr but then Pock pulled him and kept him chained to the bench.

Stupid. Under used.

MultiTroll
05-16-2016, 09:42 AM
For the Squawkers that say "oh 3 fouls in 7 minutes in Game 6"...

One word:
ThunderRef.
The topper being the 3rd foul call whereupon Anus Cancer hooks underneath Bobans arm and WWE pulls him to the floor. Foul on Boban.

FKLa it may be long gone from your video reach but if you can get it....

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 09:00 PM

ceperez
10-05-2016, 10:33 PM

For $7m/year ? That's a bargain!!!!

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 10:44 PM
For $7m/year ? That's a bargain!!!!
I wish we could have kept him truly. Heck I take Baynes back...

Fireball
10-06-2016, 06:24 AM
garbage time will not be the same this season ... our 3rd unit is so bad, we might lose games we thought we had in the bag

spursistan
10-06-2016, 06:36 AM
garbage time will not be the same this season ... our 3rd unit is so bad, we might lose games we thought we had in the bag
one of the reason the starters, mainly Kawhi/LMA/Green, will likely see a bump in their minutes..no way we will be maintaining a +10 PT deep into March. the league was exceptionally shitty last season with several teams either took a step back or got ravaged by injuries..

GSH
10-06-2016, 06:51 AM

Here's what went with the quote in that tweet. They still expect him to be their third string C:

Boban Marjanovic may still be considered a project, but Pistons coach/executive Stan Van Gundy believes the 7’3″ center is “unstoppable” in the low post, relays Aaron McMann of MLive. Detroit is happy with the early returns on the $21MM it*gave Marjanovic over the next three seasons. The 290-pounder*remains the third-string center on the Pistons’ depth chart, but*it sounds like he will be given playing time. “Once he gets established in the half-court, there’s not a good way to play him,” Van Gundy said. “There’s just not. He’s so big and he’s so skilled, that it’s hard.”

baseline bum
10-06-2016, 06:57 AM

3rd unit? Dedmon and Fathead on the second unit is scary enough.

MultiTroll
04-14-2019, 04:31 PM
Looked very good imo and that includes getting burned for an offensive foul call.
15 min
13/3/4 with a steal and a block.
Sixers were + with Bobs in. Not just the stat (often misleading see Matt Bonner) but the parts of the game I saw Boban was a plus. 6ers came back from way down before he got fouled out.

Brent Brown sticking with Embiid who is def not 100%.

MultiTroll
05-06-2019, 05:22 AM
Brent Brown zero confidence in Boban for Game 4s choke vs Toronto.
Embiid with stomach flu not good down the stretch. Missed 3 of 4 fts, a very short 3 foot shot.
7 minutes without a field goal for 6ers in 4th after they had a 3 point lead.

Sad.
Unleash the Boban.
At least in relief duty. Would have helped Ebiid too.

Even the mainstream media gets it.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/an-ill-joel-embiid-was-awful-in-game-4-and-sixers-fans-have-every-reason-to-be-worried/ar-AAAWsDC?ocid=spartandhp