PDA

View Full Version : BBall Breakdown: How the Spurs Defend Cury

BillMc
04-13-2016, 06:20 AM
Didn't see this posted previously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0z4yRDo58

BillMc
04-13-2016, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I know forgot the second "r" in Curry..

Fireball
04-13-2016, 06:45 AM
my breakdown: we do not ...

NameLess Scrub
04-13-2016, 10:14 AM
So basically the Spurs need ridiculous levels of concentration, focus and discipline.

K...
04-13-2016, 10:23 AM
So basically the Spurs need ridiculous levels of concentration, focus and discipline.

Well Manu and Tim retiring should get everyone on board. They can retract it in the off season and sign vet min deals if they want.

NameLess Scrub
04-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Well Manu and Tim retiring should get everyone on board. They can retract it in the off season and sign vet min deals if they want.

Now that you put it like that.. if they indeed plan to retire I'd expect them to push their bodies harder and not care if the wheels fall off.

Spurtacular
04-13-2016, 02:15 PM
6:16 It's a moving screen to begin with. Refs will often allow that if the screener stops and the defender is allowed to go around; but Bogut keeps sliding his feet like an offensive lineman to keep Parker blocked. The only difference is his hands aren't up. The Spurs need to call GS out either directly to the refs or in the media when that happens.

james evans
04-13-2016, 09:50 PM
the key thing is to not have parker on the floor.

DenialTwist
04-14-2016, 04:47 AM
the key thing is to not have parker on the floor.

Wish someone could tell this to Pop and the coaching staff.

BillMc
04-14-2016, 10:02 AM
6:16 It's a moving screen to begin with. Refs will often allow that if the screener stops and the defender is allowed to go around; but Bogut keeps sliding his feet like an offensive lineman to keep Parker blocked. The only difference is his hands aren't up. The Spurs need to call GS out either directly to the refs or in the media when that happens.

Agreed. One of the few aspects I wish Pop were more like Phil Jackson is Jackson would make a very public issue of things like that to the media. Pop won't do that.

NameLess Scrub
04-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Agreed. One of the few aspects I wish Pop were more like Phil Jackson is Jackson would make a very public issue of things like that to the media. Pop won't do that.

All the more reason why I don't expect the reffing to change. Spurs will have to beat the moving screens.
Either do the same or find a way.

SpursforSix
04-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I know forgot the second "r" in Curry..

Fuck Cury. No apology necessary.

BillMc
04-14-2016, 11:44 AM
All the more reason why I don't expect the reffing to change. Spurs will have to beat the moving screens.

Yep!

Fuck Cury. No apology necessary.

:bobo

spursistan
04-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Pop has gotten way too soft for my liking..bear-hugging about every rival coach scheming against his team while he oozes "it is just basketball" normalcy in his demanor..dude need to wake the fuck up for Tim/Manu last ride..Steve Kerr should be Phil-Jackson-status circa 2000s for us and not a former Spurs you classy it up with..:ihit

NameLess Scrub
04-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Suddenly had the imagination to think it'd be fun if some reporter would dare to make the question to the Warriors in a press conference.

"How do you feel about getting away with so many moving screens? Is it by design, or do you just don't know what a legal screen is?"

No coach can be fined if the press does it.

:lol

BillMc
04-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Suddenly had the imagination to think it'd be fun if some reporter would dare to make the question to the Warriors in a press conference.

"How do you feel about getting away with so many moving screens? Is it by design, or do you just don't know what a legal screen is?"

No coach can be fined if the press does it.

:lol
:lol Give this man a press pass!:bobo

tmtcsc
04-14-2016, 12:26 PM

At least 4 games worth on him.

Spurs9
04-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Or maybe we should start doing moving screens and see if the refs call if both ways. Fight fire with fire.

Pauleta14
04-14-2016, 05:13 PM

You know that will never happen... :bang

SupremeGuy
04-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Switch everything, or tell Danny and Kawhi to fight through screens and force the refs to call something... and pay the fuck attention in transition.

Spurs9
04-14-2016, 06:04 PM
If the Spurs are at full strength and rolling, and the Warriors are and face each other, it could be the best WCF of all time. I just don't know how we are going to contain Curry in a entire series. After watching him again last night, it was unreal. I just don't think we have it in the tank to keep up the defense necessary every minute of every game we play against them.

james evans
04-15-2016, 02:40 AM
There's a solution to the moving screens. Use someone that doesn't play and have them run Green or Bogut over. This will more than likely get them ejected, but we won't have to worry about the screen setter anymore for that particular game cuz he's gonna be out too.

james evans
04-15-2016, 02:42 AM
If the Spurs are at full strength and rolling, and the Warriors are and face each other, it could be the best WCF of all time. I just don't know how we are going to contain Curry in a entire series. After watching him again last night, it was unreal. I just don't think we have it in the tank to keep up the defense necessary every minute of every game we play against them.
do you know curry's record against us all time and what he's shooting. If parker's guarding him, he may as well average 35 ppg in the first half. This is the same team as last season but they are just allowed to get away with bullshit cuz it makes the league money. Seriously, how much differnt is this team than last season? There were at least 6 games given to them in the 4th quarter this year. When the NBA finds a team to get behind, they go all out in being behind them. We've seen it in every era. This is nothing new.

polandprzem
04-15-2016, 04:13 AM
Green will be on Curry . That makes a mismatch with Klay vs Parker so we need to help on this matchup which can lead to some problems when it comes to move the ball from GS. which Pop may consider to put Anderson instead of TP on some stretches

NameLess Scrub
04-15-2016, 08:41 AM
There's a solution to the moving screens. Use someone that doesn't play and have them run Green or Bogut over. This will more than likely get them ejected, but we won't have to worry about the screen setter anymore for that particular game cuz he's gonna be out too.

do you know curry's record against us all time and what he's shooting. If parker's guarding him, he may as well average 35 ppg in the first half. This is the same team as last season but they are just allowed to get away with bullshit cuz it makes the league money. Seriously, how much differnt is this team than last season? There were at least 6 games given to them in the 4th quarter this year. When the NBA finds a team to get behind, they go all out in being behind them. We've seen it in every era. This is nothing new.

Who's gonna run them over to the point they're hurt? I don't think Pop wants to lose even Bonner.
That's ignoring the part they'd hurt someone.

I think sadly it would take more moving screens and a huge amount of flopping to even have a chance. Spurs don't do that. That's why I'm interested in GSW vs Clippers. You know CP3 will go into drama mode along with the rest of the team.

The thing about GSW is that they don't even need to be subtle to get away with it. I have serious doubts that would fly in a FIBA game, where refs are just as human. If the league indeed does this on purpose, that would be a pretty awful way to treat a sport.

Spurs9
04-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Who's gonna run them over to the point they're hurt? I don't think Pop wants to lose even Bonner.
That's ignoring the part they'd hurt someone.

I think sadly it would take more moving screens and a huge amount of flopping to even have a chance. Spurs don't do that. That's why I'm interested in GSW vs Clippers. You know CP3 will go into drama mode along with the rest of the team.

The thing about GSW is that they don't even need to be subtle to get away with it. I have serious doubts that would fly in a FIBA game, where refs are just as human. If the league indeed does this on purpose, that would be a pretty awful way to treat a sport.
Clippers and Dubs is the series I'm looking forward to. Clippers have 3 point shooting power and power downlow. They also have the defense to keep up with dubs tbh

BillMc
04-15-2016, 11:19 AM
I give us a 40% chance to win that series and it would be higher except for Dubs having home court. Pop only went all out to win once against them during the RS and we won that game.

Instead of a 67 win team who went 1-3 against them, you'd think we were a 48 win team who'd been swept by the way everyone talks. Nobody has the perimeter defenders we do. If the Dubs are gonna lose to anyone, we're the team that'll beat them.

james evans
04-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Clippers and Dubs is the series I'm looking forward to. Clippers have 3 point shooting power and power downlow. They also have the defense to keep up with dubs tbh
clippers are getting swept because Doc River is as dumb of a coach as they come

spurs10
04-15-2016, 07:47 PM
I give us a 40% chance to win that series and it would be higher except for Dubs having home court. Pop only went all out to win once against them during the RS and we won that game.

Instead of a 67 win team who went 1-3 against them, you'd think we were a 48 win team who'd been swept by the way everyone talks. Nobody has the perimeter defenders we do. If the Dubs are gonna lose to anyone, we're the team that'll beat them. So much will depend on our momentum. If we can get in a groove and take out OKC (presumably) in high form- we could walk into Oracle with fire in our eyes.

K...
04-15-2016, 08:06 PM
clippers are getting swept because Doc River is as dumb of a coach as they come

Pop will call that fucker every night if he's smart

phxspurfan
04-16-2016, 12:45 AM

I was just telling an LA friend about this the other day. Remember when we would play the Lakers and every time there would be a game 3 or something when Phil would call out the refs? I wish Pop would do that.

SouthernFried
04-16-2016, 01:01 AM
Prefer to look at this one series at a time.

Worry about GS, when we actually have to play GS.

Vito Corleone
04-16-2016, 08:09 AM

I've said all along the best defense against Curry is you don't.

You defend the other 4 guys and let Curry take all the shots, he will ware down by the 4th Quarter and all those ridiculous shots will stop falling. One guy in one game scored 100 pts, if we take away everyone else than you force Curry to do it all, and since he isn't superman he will get his 60 or so points but the Warriors won't win.

florige
04-16-2016, 08:28 AM

That's my thinking. We don't exactly own the Thunder the last I checked.

james evans
04-16-2016, 11:20 AM
I've said all along the best defense against Curry is you don't.

You defend the other 4 guys and let Curry take all the shots, he will ware down by the 4th Quarter and all those ridiculous shots will stop falling. One guy in one game scored 100 pts, if we take away everyone else than you force Curry to do it all, and since he isn't superman he will get his 60 or so points but the Warriors won't win.

it won't wear him down if he's not playign any defense. so if he's shooting everything and killing parker or anyone else off illegal screens and Danny Greens wants to sit at the 3 point line and give him a break on defense, he won't get tired.

BillMc
04-16-2016, 12:36 PM

I agree the TEAM should and will do this. But we're just a bunch of guys on a sports forum message board. No harm in us looking ahead. :lol

spurs10
04-16-2016, 01:02 PM
I agree the TEAM should and will do this. But we're just a bunch of guys on a sports forum message board. No harm in us looking ahead. :lol Exactly- I'm sure they haven't given much thought to OKC at this point.

Brian Windhorst
04-16-2016, 04:09 PM
The key to stopping Curry really has little do do with defense, other than the switching strategy which Pop already tried.

The way you slow down Curry, which I doubt any team will really try, is on offense. Whoever he is guarding runs through hard screens for 16-18 second, every single time down the court. If he switches on to a bigger player, that player immediately gets the ball and backs him down in the post. Every single time. If he doesn't switch, you continue to run him through hard screens for 16-18 seconds or until his man gets an open jumper. Every single time. At the 18 second mark, you give it to LMA or Kawhi for an isolation shot. He should take at least 5 hard elbows or shoulders from a big setting a legal screen every single time down the court, and have to run around those to recover. This is designed for the sole purpose of running him into the ground. This is your one play, and the rest of your offense takes place in the time after you run your play.

DMC
04-17-2016, 09:42 AM
No one knows how to slow down Curry. If they did they'd be making millions instead of posting shitty takes here for free.

ezau
04-17-2016, 11:10 AM
The key to stopping Curry really has little do do with defense, other than the switching strategy which Pop already tried.

The way you slow down Curry, which I doubt any team will really try, is on offense. Whoever he is guarding runs through hard screens for 16-18 second, every single time down the court. If he switches on to a bigger player, that player immediately gets the ball and backs him down in the post. Every single time. If he doesn't switch, you continue to run him through hard screens for 16-18 seconds or until his man gets an open jumper. Every single time. At the 18 second mark, you give it to LMA or Kawhi for an isolation shot. He should take at least 5 hard elbows or shoulders from a big setting a legal screen every single time down the court, and have to run around those to recover. This is designed for the sole purpose of running him into the ground. This is your one play, and the rest of your offense takes place in the time after you run your play.

Very interesting take

NameLess Scrub
04-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Very interesting take

Isn't that what the Lakers did to Iverson when they met in the finals.

Kawhitstorm
04-19-2016, 02:50 AM

Too bad he will be hiding on Danny; K-Mart could make him work on defense but where is he going to hide on defense if Tony/Patty are on the floor.:lol

polandprzem
04-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Well GS is really good at switching when Curry got bigger opponent on him. Plus Curry can do some defense cause on ofense he is still not giving as much effort as others cuz of those treys. Well at least he is not working as hard as players closer to the basket in LMA or Kawhi for example

NameLess Scrub
04-19-2016, 01:22 PM
So, is the best way to defend him the Beverly way? :lol

Chinook
04-19-2016, 01:31 PM
The thing I hate most about that breakdown is that Coach Nick clearly sees that the intensity of the Spurs' defense is lower in the third game than it is in the second. Yet he acts like that's something the Warriors did to counter rather than the Spurs letting their foot off the gas. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The change had everything to do with the Spurs and not a ton to do with the Warriors.

I think Pop is more than happy to let Curry get two-pointers. The team can keep up with those. At that point, it becomes a two-on-two with Curry and the big versus Curry's man and the Spurs big at the rim. So long as the team doesn't overhelp, that will be much easier to defend than the beautiful game that happens when you get Draymond or Iggy driving. And yeah, you can foul him -- especially when he's passing the ball -- because that will cause him to overthink his drives. Then, he'll be taking pull-ups from midrange instead of getting layups or threes, and the team will be happy as a clam if that's how GS chooses to play it.