PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will flip the switch

Calispursfan11
04-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Golden State is a historically good team. That said, the Spurs matchup well against them. The Warriors expended max effort in the regular season against the Spurs but the Spurs didn't. They just learned. Key difference. Kerr has shown all his cards while Pop has something in reserve strategically. He has also been resting guys all year. Vets have been taking days upon days off and the young guys have been getting valuable minutes. The Spurs could afford to do that with their depth. They are saving it up for the playoffs fellas and the best is yet to come. With a likely pretty favorable first round matchup against the Grizz, Spurs should be able to get into a groove and avoid wearing down early. Bobo is a key. Golden state cannot matchup with that guy whatsoever. He is their worst nightmare. Of course we are going to need Kawhi to be Kawhi, Aldridge to finally put in a good playoff performance, and one or two of the non-Bobo bench guys to go apeshit (resurrection of Verde or just Patty playoff mode). We all know Timmy and Manu step it up big time in the playoffs so that's not an issue. It won't be easy, and some luck will be involved, but when the Spurs flip the switch it shouldn't surprise anyone if we win it in 6.

rastaspur
04-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Didnt read a word of your post after seeing your profile pic. When i think enrique basketball knowledge does not come to mind.

BillMc
04-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Golden State is a historically good team. That said, the Spurs matchup well against them. The Warriors expended max effort in the regular season against the Spurs but the Spurs didn't. They just learned. Key difference. Kerr has shown all his cards while Pop has something in reserve strategically. He has also been resting guys all year. Vets have been taking days upon days off and the young guys have been getting valuable minutes. The Spurs could afford to do that with their depth. They are saving it up for the playoffs fellas and the best is yet to come. With a likely pretty favorable first round matchup against the Grizz, Spurs should be able to get into a groove and avoid wearing down early. Bobo is a key. Golden state cannot matchup with that guy whatsoever. He is their worst nightmare. Of course we are going to need Kawhi to be Kawhi, Aldridge to finally put in a good playoff performance, and one or two of the non-Bobo bench guys to go apeshit (resurrection of Verde or just Patty playoff mode). We all know Timmy and Manu step it up big time in the playoffs so that's not an issue. It won't be easy, and some luck will be involved, but when the Spurs flip the switch it shouldn't surprise anyone if we win it in 6.

:bobo

BillMc
04-13-2016, 10:53 AM
http://www.nanakasha.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/on-off-switch.jpg

Poolboy5623
04-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Diaw is the Warriors worst nightmare? Serious?

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2016, 11:20 AM
It will take a huge switch the way they have been stinking it up lately.

http://www.thevarguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/google-apps-microsoft-sharepoint.jpg

boutons_deux
04-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Pop has nothing to hide

Spurs play with intensity for 48 minutes, they'll be alright.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2016, 11:44 AM
the Spurs matchup well against them.

Appreciate the post, but I stopped reading after that.

SPURt
04-13-2016, 11:46 AM
The difference between the Warriors and Spurs is the Warriors must be at their ceiling. They've had players like Mo Speights over achieving and no one under achieving.

The Spurs on the other hand have wildly under achieved on offense all year. Green, Mills, Tony, Tim, Diaw, and Manu have either under achieved or been wildly inconsistent. There is a chance it clicks at some point in the playoffs much like 2014 after the Mavs series but it's not a certainty.

I hope the OP's optimism comes to fruition.

r0drig0lac
04-13-2016, 11:52 AM
wtf

NameLess Scrub
04-13-2016, 12:02 PM
The difference between the Warriors and Spurs is the Warriors must be at their ceiling. They've had players like Mo Speights over achieving and no one under achieving.

The Spurs on the other hand have wildly under achieved on offense all year. Green, Mills, Tony, Tim, Diaw, and Manu have either under achieved or been wildly inconsistent. There is a chance it clicks at some point in the playoffs much like 2014 after the Mavs series but it's not a certainty.

Tbf, anybody can overachieve with that amount of spacing.

Barbosa went up 10% on his 3s after joining the Warriors.

elbamba
04-13-2016, 12:04 PM
I like the Spurs chances, but Danny and Patty need to be knocking down threes.

daslicer
04-13-2016, 12:07 PM

I would say Speights is the best example of their role players overachieving. This guy is shooting 40 percent from 3 point range while last year he was shooting at 20 percent. It's like he's the reverse Danny Green for them.

spursistan
04-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Before the Mavericks series hiccup, the Spurs already showed their ceiling when they reeled off a 19 game winning streak romp over quality teams..we just never reached that level of consistent excellence this season despite winning 66 games..our 13 game winning streak was snoozfest beat up of medicore teams..we have been unimpressive on the road and our best 3 wins were home squeak outs vs CLE/OKC/GS with two of these opponents playing on a B2B..I can't fault skeptics of when they say "there is just something off with this team" despite their gaudy record..

daslicer
04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Before the Mavericks series hiccup, the Spurs already showed their ceiling when they reeled off a 19 game winning streak romp over quality teams..we just never reached that level of consistent excellence this season despite winning 66 games..our 13 game winning streak was snoozfest beat up of medicore teams..we have been unimpressive on the road and our best 3 wins were home squeak outs vs CLE/OKC/GS with two of these opponents playing on a B2B..I can't fault skeptics of when they say "there is just something off with this team" despite their gaudy record..

Spurs have the second best road record in the NBA.

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Spurs are not playing as well as they were a month ago. It's a totally different feeling than the normal SPAM.

Spurs9
04-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Spurs coast in regular season

playbonner15
04-13-2016, 12:57 PM
..Or they get eliminated before they find the switch :lol

quentin_compson
04-13-2016, 01:24 PM
The Spurs are fucking atrocious at the moment, but it is reasonable to think they will be able to turn it on once the playoffs start.

Budkin
04-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Appreciate the post, but I stopped reading after that.

tbh, that's why we'll need to rely on the Warriors getting upset or an Elian ankle breaker to win a title this year.

SPURt
04-13-2016, 02:03 PM
This is very true. Also, the Spurs are playing more 3 around 2 as opposed to 2014s 4 around 1. Though much of the personnel remains, I'm not sure the 2016 Spurs have an offensive ceiling as high as the 2014 Spurs.

steeledl
04-13-2016, 02:17 PM
The way we have been playing I feel like thunder will take us in 6 in the second round. Hope I'm wrong but it seems like our offense is just confused when other teams compete (which will always be the case in the playoffs).

PopTheGOAT
04-13-2016, 02:42 PM
The way we have been playing I feel like thunder will take us in 6 in the second round. Hope I'm wrong but it seems like our offense is just confused when other teams compete (which will always be the case in the playoffs).
You're overreacting. This team will be 100%, all systems go in the first round and you'll change your mind.

steeledl
04-13-2016, 02:51 PM
You're overreacting. This team will be 100%, all systems go in the first round and you'll change your mind.

:bobo Here's to hoping I'm just being a prisoner of the moment but I do see fatal flaws on this team that bad teams are unable to expose.... First round should be a breeze. We will find out in the second round.

MultiTroll
04-13-2016, 02:56 PM
With as many veteran roster players 30+ I hope they were cruising and can go to flip switch mode.

Also hope we have a coaching advantage, or at least break even in all the series.
A repeat coaching performance of 2014 seems improbable but who knows.....

PopTheGOAT
04-13-2016, 02:57 PM
:bobo Here's to hoping I'm just being a prisoner of the moment but I do see fatal flaws on this team that bad teams are unable to expose.... First round should be a breeze. We will find out in the second round.
Just need Danny and/or Patty to get hot in the next couple of weeks to have a legitimate chance.
:toast Here's to hoping

Uriel
04-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Try using paragraph breaks next time when you post. It makes it a lot easier on the eyes.

tbdog
04-13-2016, 07:44 PM

I really agree on this point. Offensively, our role players are very much underachieving, especially Green. One of them turn up in game 4 against the Dubs, we probably win it. We only lost by 6 ffs. I am one of the few that has no concerns of TD stepping up. But we had 82 games of Green stinking. Odds are it will continue.

Calispursfan11
04-13-2016, 09:08 PM
I have seen every Spurs/Warriors game this season and still have supreme confidence that we will be fine. Not a foregone conclusion that we win, but the series will go no less than 6 with the Spurs more likely to take it in 6. Serious overreaction and negativity by Spur Nation. I mean, we have the best overall team in basketball. Not invincible but one of the best point differentials of all time. This is not the time to throw in the towel homeys! Go Spurs Go!

DenialTwist
04-14-2016, 04:51 AM
The spurs don't matchup well the warriors, that's the problem. Look at the guard positions, the b2b MVP and Klay, who can score at will for spurts at a time, then look at their small ball lineup when Iggy, Barnes and Draymond are out there. They spread the floor well and can score at such a fast pace which is unfavorable for the the spurs. The only weakness they have is their high turnover rate but if you can't score on them when they give up the ball that much or when Curry rests, you're doomed.

Kidd K
04-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Didn't read either since wall of text and insulting title.

What switch? They won 67 games. They didn't suck. They struggled a bit at the end due to injuries. All they need is to get healthy again. The only player who needs to "flip a switch" is Danny Green.

hater
04-14-2016, 09:48 AM
The 67 wins is bullshit IMO. League is in a complete shit state. The record means nothing.

I do believe they will flip the switch at some point and be a great playoff team.

But the Worriers are just in a completely different level. They have the best player in the game, Eliancito and have tons of matchup advantages over the spurs.

Any other year the Spurs would probably advance to the finals but the worriers will beat them like a drum.

SPURt
04-14-2016, 11:34 AM
The spurs don't matchup well the warriors, that's the problem. Look at the guard positions, the b2b MVP and Klay, who can score at will for spurts at a time, then look at their small ball lineup when Iggy, Barnes and Draymond are out there. They spread the floor well and can score at such a fast pace which is unfavorable for the the spurs. The only weakness they have is their high turnover rate but if you can't score on them when they give up the ball that much or when Curry rests, you're doomed.

I actually think the small ball lineup you mentioned, also referred to as the lineup of death, doesn't favor the Dubs in the forward positions. Basically Kawhi/Diaw/LMA>Iggy/Barnes/Draymond IMO. It's the guard play that has me most concerned.

itzsoweezee
04-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Saying warriors players are overachieving is just wishful thinking. The role players play great because their spacing makes it easy.

For the Spurs to have any chance to beat the warriors, the San Antonio bench needs to dominate the warriors bench.

Let's see if Patty and Manu and the rest are able to really come through when it counts this year