PDA

View Full Version : Spurs just used their 3rd string players to win against a 7th seed playoff team

sexinthatsx
04-13-2016, 10:25 PM
If this doesn't show you how good the Spurs are and how capable they are of beating the Warriors are, I don't know what will :flag: :flag: :flag:

Ditty
04-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Barea has been the head of the snake of that team the last couple of weeks of them playing good. Hopefully he gets to the paint a lot against the Thunder, and destroys them.

lefty
04-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Parker played?

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2016, 10:28 PM
It shows you how terrible the bottom of the West is, this season:lol

dabom
04-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Parker played?
:lol

midnightpulp
04-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Great win, but the caveat is that the players who actually did something tonight aren't a regular part of the top 8 players: Boban, Anderson, Simmons. Green was okay offensively tonight, but just okay. I wished Mills would've went off. And Kevin Martin was awful.

steeledl
04-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Yeah but our starters almost lost to back up Thunder last night .

sexinthatsx
04-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Great win, but the caveat is that the players who actually did something tonight aren't a regular part of the top 8 players: Boban, Anderson, Simmons. Green was okay offensively tonight, but just okay. I wished Mills would've went off. And Kevin Martin was awful.

Pop has been playing Anderson a lot lately. My guess is that he's trying to engage him and turn him into the next Diaw type player

sexinthatsx
04-13-2016, 10:36 PM

Honestly, it's about time they played an OT game. This would prep their wits and clutch factor come playoffs time. I saw the OT game as a good thing

100%duncan
04-13-2016, 10:37 PM

spursistan
04-13-2016, 10:40 PM
this has been actually their best win in the last two weeks or so..really gritty stuff after being down 18 on b2b....loved Kyle/Boban/Simms..too bad only Anderson will figure to have role, if marginal, in the playoffs.

sexinthatsx
04-13-2016, 10:47 PM
this has been actually their best win in the last two weeks or so..really gritty stuff after being down 18 on b2b....loved Kyle/Boban/Simms..too bad only Anderson will figure to have role, if marginal, in the playoffs.

If Spurs lose a crucial game and don't have an answer for the Thunder in the second round, I can picture Pop playing Boban. Simmons probably won't be seeing much playing time in the playoffs though.

siraulo23
04-13-2016, 11:19 PM

SouthernFried
04-13-2016, 11:30 PM
Those 3, Kyle/Simmons/Boban, all have good potential. I think they get a little flustered in the Spurs "system." When asked just to play and not think so much, they do very well. This was their game.

Trying to incorporate them into the Spurs system tho, they tend to overthink and not just react...not wanting to mess with the teams success. It's another conundrum...lol

Solid D
04-14-2016, 12:19 AM
The only thing missing in this game was Becky as head coach. Summer League Champs!

Solid D
04-14-2016, 12:22 AM
Surprised this hasn't become another one of those "Addition by Subtraction Since TP Didn't Play" threads.

SAGirl
04-14-2016, 12:31 AM
Those 3, Kyle/Simmons/Boban, all have good potential. I think they get a little flustered in the Spurs "system." When asked just to play and not think so much, they do very well. This was their game.

Trying to incorporate them into the Spurs system tho, they tend to overthink and not just react...not wanting to mess with the teams success. It's another conundrum...lol
I think there is an element of deferral too when they play with others. Here if they didn't come out balling they would be finished. They will be fine. I think each could have a small role in a match up in the playoffs.
Anderson in particular Pop is preparing for the postseason and will have a role. I think they want him for the eventual GSW match and he should get a little bit of experience each round to "taste" playoff basketball.

SAGirl
04-14-2016, 12:33 AM
Surprised this hasn't become another one of those "Addition by Subtraction Since TP Didn't Play" threads.
You would see that bc it's addition by subtraction of 6 guys!

Hoops Czar
04-14-2016, 12:50 AM

It gets worse... the Mavs are a middle of the pack west team.

jermaine
04-14-2016, 04:23 AM
An i cut the game off at the half when Felton hit that 3... Watched a movie with the kids (The Forest)..... Then they fell asleep on the movie. So i missed a dam good game for nuttin.

SupremeGuy
04-14-2016, 05:18 AM
The mavs are weak but they're full of dirty fuckers. I don't know why but those faggots would probably play dirtier against us but fuck that shit. We focus on us.

Obstructed_View
04-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Patty Mills and Danny Green are still terrible. On both sides of the ball. The Spurs may not make the WCF if those guys don't suddenly find their 2014 form.

SASdynasty!
04-14-2016, 07:01 AM
Parker played?
He said 3rd string, not 3rd option.

DeRozan m8
04-14-2016, 07:27 AM
If this doesn't show you how good the Spurs are and how capable they are of beating the Warriors are, I don't know what will :flag: :flag: :flag:

Not losing to the Warriors twice in the past week would show me they're capable tbh

hater
04-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Stupid thread. Playing guys that will not smell a minute of a spurs worriers series means absolutely nilothing

:rolleyes

Worriers still completely own us.

ceperez
04-14-2016, 07:44 AM
I think there is an element of deferral too when they play with others. Here if they didn't come out balling they would be finished. They will be fine. I think each could have a small role in a match up in the playoffs.
Anderson in particular Pop is preparing for the postseason and will have a role. I think they want him for the eventual GSW match and he should get a little bit of experience each round to "taste" playoff basketball.

(1) Boban is most effective if he's passed the ball at the right spot. He also clears up a lot of room for players that drive like Simmons.
(2) You can see that Pop has bought in to Anderson's game. He was even praising him after he didn't make the shot that ended the first half. Anderson can definitely destroy smaller guards. He has trouble though against bigger more athletic players. Dirk though couldn't really dominate Anderson.
(3) Simmons cannot play if he's deferring. He just isn't used to scoring as a recipient of a pass. Spurs need his athleticism though for a team like the Dubs. You need someone to penetrate, Manu and Parker are pretty much on the decline.

cd98
04-14-2016, 08:00 AM

This. It will be a tough playoff run.

tmtcsc
04-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Patty Mills and Danny Green are still terrible. On both sides of the ball. The Spurs may not make the WCF if those guys don't suddenly find their 2014 form.

Man, I hate to agree with your statement but its spot on. I've been dogging Green all year long because of his poor shooting but at least he brings value on the defensive end. Patty has been a bad PG and his shooting has been poor. His defense is pretty much non-existent. If he's not making shots, he needs to be on the bench.

Spurs9
04-14-2016, 08:19 AM
We will get as far as Boban takes us.

101A
04-14-2016, 08:20 AM

If KMart would have been suited up in '13, the Spurs ring. As bad as he played, he was brought in, IMO, to calmly bury freebies at the end of tight games. He did that last night.

BillMc
04-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Man, I hate to agree with your statement but its spot on. I've been dogging Green all year long because of his poor shooting but at least he brings value on the defensive end. Patty has been a bad PG and his shooting has been poor. His defense is pretty much non-existent. If he's not making shots, he needs to be on the bench.

Patty is only valuable when a) his shot is falling and b) Manu is out there to setup the offense. Otherwise his lack of size, playmaking, and defense are real liabilities. Wish Pop would give Miller more burn.

And I hate to be so critical of him as Patty is such a good guy and teammate. But then so is Bonner....

spursistan
04-14-2016, 10:26 AM

14-2 in the last 16 :wow

Ownage..

Obstructed_View
04-14-2016, 10:51 AM

Because of all the Bruce Bowen comparisons in the offseason, I've been watching Danny, and I have to say that his defense hasn't been very good either. He's been the worst defender in the starting five this year by far, though Parker's defense has just fallen off the edge of the world in the last month. There are bench rotation guys who are better defenders than he is this year as well.

Chinook
04-14-2016, 11:00 AM
^That's a pretty indefensible take.

Dex
04-14-2016, 11:01 AM
I'm more concerned about our 1st string players winning against the 1st and 3rd seeded playoff teams, tbh.

tmtcsc
04-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Because of all the Bruce Bowen comparisons in the offseason, I've been watching Danny, and I have to say that his defense hasn't been very good either. He's been the worst defender in the starting five this year by far, though Parker's defense has just fallen off the edge of the world in the last month. There are bench rotation guys who are better defenders than he is this year as well.

Yeah, I agree about Danny's defense too. However, its been better than Patty's. - Which isn't saying much.

tmtcsc
04-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Patty is only valuable when a) his shot is falling and b) Manu is out there to setup the offense. Otherwise his lack of size, playmaking, and defense are real liabilities. Wish Pop would give Miller more burn.

And I hate to be so critical of him as Patty is such a good guy and teammate. But then so is Bonner....

I totally get it. He's a terrific teammate, nice guy and great with the fans. But he needs to play off-guard in my opinion and concentrate only on getting his shot. He's just not a good at running the office. Andre Miller is much more saavy and experienced in that regard. Also - Miller is a much better passer.

Beaverfuzz
04-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Parker played?

:bobo

SAGirl
04-14-2016, 02:56 PM
(1) Boban is most effective if he's passed the ball at the right spot. He also clears up a lot of room for players that drive like Simmons.
(2) You can see that Pop has bought in to Anderson's game. He was even praising him after he didn't make the shot that ended the first half. Anderson can definitely destroy smaller guards. He has trouble though against bigger more athletic players. Dirk though couldn't really dominate Anderson.
(3) Simmons cannot play if he's deferring. He just isn't used to scoring as a recipient of a pass. Spurs need his athleticism though for a team like the Dubs. You need someone to penetrate, Manu and Parker are pretty much on the decline.
All three very good points and they mesh so well!!! PATFO really knows what they are doing with them. It has to be an encouraging sign for Pop.

littlecoyotecoin
04-14-2016, 03:49 PM
I like all the love Miller is getting in here. Hope Pop can find an effective use for the old man.

tmtcsc
04-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Getting back to the OP though - Probably need a bit of a Brake Check. The Spurs used most of their 1st stringers to squeeze by whoever the fuck that was the other night...OKC. OKC's second and third stringers. That was almost embarrassing. The Spurs are not entering the playoffs at their peak. They are going to have to find their groove again in the playoffs.

exstatic
04-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Getting back to the OP though - Probably need a bit of a Brake Check. The Spurs used most of their 1st stringers to squeeze by whoever the fuck that was the other night...OKC. OKC's second and third stringers. That was almost embarrassing. The Spurs are not entering the playoffs at their peak. They are going to have find their groove again in the playoffs.

OKC left three players home and lost. We left SIX and we won. Not really equivalent at all.

tmtcsc
04-14-2016, 11:10 PM
OKC left three players home and lost. We left SIX and we won. Not really equivalent at all.

It's almost identical. That's how equivalent it is.

Here's OKC's 3 missing players worth compared to the six we left home:

OKC: 64 pts / 22.8 Reb / 16 assists (Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka)
SAS: 67 pts / 27.5 Reb / 15.1 (Leonard, Aldridge, Duncan, Parker, Manu)

The Spurs only get 3 pts and 5 Rebounds more production out of their 6 than OKC gets from their Big 3.

Hoops Czar
04-14-2016, 11:21 PM

The Spurs only get 3 pts and 5 Rebounds more production out of their 6 than OKC gets from their Big 3.

Not to mention a pair of Spurs killers (Harris and Barea) didn't play.

Spurtacular
04-14-2016, 11:56 PM
Beating a bottom rung playoff team and an elite team are two different things. But the Spurs depth is encouraging, obviously.

sexinthatsx
04-15-2016, 01:01 AM
Getting back to the OP though - Probably need a bit of a Brake Check. The Spurs used most of their 1st stringers to squeeze by whoever the fuck that was the other night...OKC. OKC's second and third stringers. That was almost embarrassing. The Spurs are not entering the playoffs at their peak. They are going to have to find their groove again in the playoffs.

Like I said before, I thought the OT game helped the Spurs polish their clutch play heading into playoffs. I didn't see it as a negative. I would admit that the Spurs aren't entering the playoffs at their peak, but you have to have faith in the Spurs defense this year, the numbers this season are historic.

exstatic
04-15-2016, 07:01 AM

Nothing about us only having 9 active players V Dallas and they had 12 V us? If nothing else, they should have had fresh legs at the end.

T Park
04-15-2016, 09:31 AM

Simply not true what so ever.

But whatever.

T Park
04-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Nothing about us only having 9 active players V Dallas and they had 12 V us? If nothing else, they should have had fresh legs at the end.

Which shows how stupid Donovan is. Had a chance to let Mohammed and others eat minutes and didnt allow it. Just stupid.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Simply not true what so ever.

But whatever.

You're simply too stupid to even generate a rational argument, as usual. But whatever.

sexinthatsx
04-15-2016, 10:24 AM

Danny Green's defense hasn't been the worst, but it definitely has been spotty. But you can't compare Bowen to Danny Green, their defense is totally different. Bruce Bowen is one of the best at man on man defense, while Danny Green has more of an emphasis on help defense and transition defense. There are numerous times where Bowen looked helpless on defense during opposing fast breaks because he simply isn't quick enough.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Danny Green's defense hasn't been the worst, but it definitely has been spotty. But you can't compare Bowen to Danny Green, their defense is totally different. Bruce Bowen is one of the best at man on man defense, while Danny Green has more of an emphasis on help defense and transition defense. There are numerous times where Bowen looked helpless on defense during opposing fast breaks because he simply isn't quick enough.

Danny Green is almost a savant on fast break defense. He's made the perfect play too many times for it to be coincidence. But calling his defense spotty is accurate. It's an accurate description of his play in general. He makes the odd play on either end of the floor that's so big because the Spurs so desperately need a contribution from him.

I scratch my head at people who could have actually watched BB play who say things like he wasn't quick, though. He chased the best players in the league around every game.

Chinook
04-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Green led the league and DRPM among all two-guards, and his other defensive metrics are also great. There's absolutely no justification in saying Green was a poor or even an average defender this season.

BillMc
04-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Green led the league and DRPM among all two-guards, and his other defensive metrics are also great. There's absolutely no justification in saying Green was a poor or even an average defender this season.

Agreed. People are letting his struggles on offense taint their view of Danny's D. He was HUGE against Curry in the win against the Dubs. We'll need him to have a realistic chance.

SAGirl
04-15-2016, 12:28 PM
I think what can be said for Danny is that when he's having a good game defensively, he's our best defender by far. His best defensive games make him stand out as an all nba defensive team talent.

He is just not that consistent with that effort. It's probably a drag and he has his famous lapses. I don't know if just his head is not in the game bc he's slumping and that affects concentration. It seems more like a focus/concentration issue. He's also guarding the best players and in the regular season you are not going to play mistake free games all season, so maybe we are just a little but more demanding when it comes to him than others.

When you compare his metrics with others though you realize that it's a long season, a lot of games and as many lapses as he's had, others are worse over the length of that season.

The postseason though is shorter, their is rest in between and it is meticulously game-planned. That's where I want to see Danny earn his $.

sexinthatsx
04-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Danny Green is almost a savant on fast break defense. He's made the perfect play too many times for it to be coincidence. But calling his defense spotty is accurate. It's an accurate description of his play in general. He makes the odd play on either end of the floor that's so big because the Spurs so desperately need a contribution from him.

I scratch my head at people who could have actually watched BB play who say things like he wasn't quick, though. He chased the best players in the league around every game.

Bruce Bowen was never a quick athlete. What made him stand out in his defense was his lateral movements. Basically, Bowen's IQ on defense allowed him to take advantage of his lateral moves to cut opponents off and make them shoot at the most unconventional spots in the most unconventional methods.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Bruce Bowen was never a quick athlete. What made him stand out in his defense was his lateral movements. Basically, Bowen's IQ on defense allowed him to take advantage of his lateral moves to cut opponents off and make them shoot at the most unconventional spots in the most unconventional methods.

I guess I'm going to need you to define "quick" because Bowen couldn't have guarded Chris Paul one on one if he weren't what I would call quick. He had amazing feet. It was his best asset, in my estimation.

T Park
04-15-2016, 05:47 PM
You're simply too stupid to even generate a rational argument, as usual. But whatever.

Brilliant rebuttal as always. So well thought out.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Agreed. People are letting his struggles on offense taint their view of Danny's D. He was HUGE against Curry in the win against the Dubs. We'll need him to have a realistic chance.

His defense was amazing, as was everyone on the entire team. The Spurs will need him on both ends to have a realistic chance. Doesn't change the fact that he was inconsistent, especially the second half of the season. The Spurs' defense was an absolute juggernaut for much of the year, and if they can get that back they'll be in every game.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Brilliant rebuttal as always. So well thought out.

Bring no substance to the argument, don't expect any in return.

Kawhitstorm
04-15-2016, 06:53 PM

Tony Allen/Danny are prone to brain farts in critical situations.:wakeup

sexinthatsx
04-15-2016, 07:11 PM
I guess I'm going to need you to define "quick" because Bowen couldn't have guarded Chris Paul one on one if he weren't what I would call quick. He had amazing feet. It was his best asset, in my estimation.

Exactly what I meant, I thought Bowen always kept up with defenders because he was able to cut players off from driving down the lane in the way they were most effective.

maverick1948
04-15-2016, 10:42 PM
I think Pop uses the bench in the Grizzlies series. He will even rest Duncan in game 4 if we are up 3 - 0. Maybe even Manu. LMA or Kawhi. The bench is so good that he can do that.