PDA

View Full Version : Knicks offered the Bulls a package that would start Curry at more than $13M

ducks
09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
By MARC BERMAN

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/54335.htm

September 29, 2005 -- Bulls free-agent center Eddy Curry will slip through Isiah Thomas' mitts again. The Post has learned the Knicks offered Chicago a sign-and-trade package of Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney for the ailing big center, but has been rejected repeatedly by GM John Paxson.

Barring a trade, Curry, suffering from heart irregularities, is expected to sign the Bulls' one-year, $5 million qualifying offer before Saturday's deadline, according to his Jersey-based attorney, Ed Milstein.

Curry has been commiserating on the phone almost daily with his best friend, Knick guard, Jamal Crawford, who's worked behind the scenes to get him to New York.

"They're not trading him," one team executive said.

After Curry signs, the Bulls and Curry will head to arbitration where it will be decided whether the 7-foot phenom has to undergo a DNA test, Milstein said. The Bulls want Curry to have the DNA test (to see if he is genetically disposed to a potentially fatal condition), but Curry has refused. If Curry passes the test, Chicago would be willing to offer Curry a long-term pact, guaranteeing him between $20 and $30 million.

The Knicks offered the Bulls a package that would start Curry at more than $13M and give Chicago cap relief after season. Tim Thomas' contract ($13.5M) and Sweetney's ($2.1M) expire after the season. Isiah has offered Thomas in multiple deals because of his tradable contract and the Knick glut at swingman.

Charleston boot camp doesn't begin until Tuesday morning, but all Knicks have already reported and are working out at Westchester campus, as encouraged by Larry Brown.

Rick Von Braun
09-29-2005, 10:41 AM
It would have been trading water if that would have happened... Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney for freaking Curry. They are all pretty bad and overpaid. Awesome!

Isiah provides great entretainment for the fans of all the other teams!

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-29-2005, 10:42 AM
This sounds like the kind of trade idea that someone around here would come up with.

Isiah Thomas
09-29-2005, 10:59 AM
I am deeply saddened by Chicago's unwillingness to negotiate. Curry's work ethic and modesty are unmatched in this league.

Kip Fanatic
09-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Why does I I. Thomas still have a job? This guy is not doing well and hasn't done a darm thing for New York. Why would you keep him?

Walton Buys Off Me
09-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Before I die, I want the answers to the following two questions;

1. Why does Keannu Reeves continue to get movie offers
2. Why is Isiah Thomas running a franchise

JamStone
09-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Agreed. Its hard to believe that this guy has a job and especially in N.Y. I'm amazed that this retard lasted this long. He didn't do anything for Toronto and has now destroyed a storied franchise. I hope they keep him. Or maybe he can go work for Pat in Miami that would be great.

Isiah Thomas hasn't done a great job in New York at all. But, to completely blame him for the disarray the Knicks franchise is in is to absolve Scott Layden of fault.

Scott Layden left Isiah with this team:

Charlie Ward > Howard Eisley > Frank Williams
Allan Houston > Shandon Anderson
Keith Van Horn > Maciej Lampe > Clarence Weatherspoon
Antonio McDyess > Kurt Thomas > Othella Harrington > Mike Sweetney
Dikembe Mutombo > Michael Doleac > Travis Knight

Isiah Thomas turned that abismal roster into:

Stephon Marbury > Nate Robinson > Penny Hardaway
Jamal Crawford > Allan Houston
Quentin Richardson > Tim Thomas > Trevor Ariza
Mike Sweetney > Maurice Taylor > Malik Rose > David Lee
Jerome James > Channing Frye

Now is the roster that much better than before? Maybe not a lot better, but I think it's better. Isiah also got the Knicks into the playoffs his first half season with the franchise after a lot of frustrated New York fans had left and become apathetic. He got people talking about the Knicks again when he traded for hometown guy Stephon Marbury. He got an instant fan favorite in Nate Robinson. He hired a hometown legendary coach to make the Knicks matter again.

Now will the Knicks be title contenders? Of course not. Will they make the playoffs? Tough call, but probably not. Will they even win 40 games? Possibly. But, what Isiah Thomas did was bring in players and a coach that will make the Knicks at the very least RELEVANT to New York citizens. Isiah Thomas has done more than nothing, and considering what Scott Layden left him, I don't believe you could say it was Thomas who destroyed that franchise.

As for Toronto, he did draft Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter. And, to see what Babcock do for the Raptors since then, one could argue that that franchise is just cursed or doomed. It wasn't Thomas who lost McGrady or Carter.

And, talk about his run in Indiana. He had a complete turnover from the 2000 championship appearing Pacer team, lost Rick Smits, Dale Davis, Mark Jackson, and Antonio Davis and Isiah Thomas made the playoffs each year he coached there despite having to groom players like Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal.

People knock Isiah Thomas because he's an asshole, and he hasn't been completely successful yet as a coach or VP. But, he's not nearly as bad as some people make him out to be. I don't mean to say Isiah has done a great job anywhere he's been. But, he's no where near as bad as what is thought of him.

Vashner
09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Too much money to play basketball... I am sorry but it is...

Kori Ellis
09-29-2005, 01:00 PM
JamStone - that was a very solid, well thought out post. I still think Isiah sucks :lol, but you are definitely right that the team that Layden left him (especially for the money) is worse than the team they have now.

ducks
09-29-2005, 01:27 PM
offering curry 13 million is stupid a year

DesiSpur_21
09-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Agreed Isiah inherited a team with bad contracts but imo this team isn't any better.

I think Suns won in both trades they had with Knicks. Sentiments apart, Knicks needed someone better than Marbury. They helped Suns again this summer by taking QRich's contract - not a good idea.

Knicks taking up long term Malik's contract over Nazr's short-term is just insane.

imo they again erred in not releasing Houston. He's much more washed up than any other player cut by amnesty rule.

I still don't see how they are gonna playoffs this year with Cleveland looking like a lock for the playoffs. Bulls, Wizards are still better than Knicks.

ducks
09-29-2005, 01:44 PM
cavs are NO LOCK for the playoffs

james has let his team suck after the allstar break every year
he has to prove he can trust someone other then himself

would not surpise me to see cavs not make the playoffs