PDA

View Full Version : If Danny Green does poorly will the Spurs trade him

FutureMan
04-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Given that last year he did poorly against the clippers and still got paid. Will the Spurs look to find a better prospect.

Gagnrath
04-16-2016, 08:44 AM
If he plays badly who will want him??

davi78239
04-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Yup, I predict his contract will be moved (tried to) if he has a poor showing this playoff. His defense is good but we might need more consistent offense to contend with Golden State for yrs to come.

Keepin' it real
04-16-2016, 09:07 AM
There's no if, and no.

Old School 44
04-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Green's situation kind of reminds me of Malik Rose's contract a few years back. Malik also had a bad year after signing his big contract. They did move him. I doubt if they give up on Danny as fast. They won't move him unless somebody like Atlanta (Bud) or New Jersey (Marks) comes calling with a package they can't refuse.

Russo21
04-16-2016, 09:55 AM
It's a shame as Danny is exactly what this team needs, doesn't need the ball in his hands on offense, plays very good defence combined with nasty shooting streaks which can alter a big game in a matter of possessions. But as of right now he's a shooting guard who can't dribble the ball and forgot how to shoot. If he regains his form it's a no brainer to keep him, if he doesn't regain his form nobody in their right mind would want him. Have we seen the best of Danny, is this a slump and he'll be back or is he simply a Cleveland Steamer.

Who is the real Danny Green? A record breaking finals 3 point shooter for the Spurs and great role player who they were lucky to have when he was on fire or a Cleveland Steamer. It's so hard to tell with Danny. He is down on every major statistic this year, PPG, RPG, APG, BPG, SPG, FG%, 3PTFG%, very weird, he is an enigma.

2013 DG playoffs: 44%FG & 48% 3PTFG
2014 DG playoffs: 49%FG & 47% 3PTFG
2015 DG playoffs: 34%FG & 30% 3PTFG

It's no coincidence which 2 years the Spurs made the finals.

SpursforSix
04-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Green's situation kind of reminds me of Malik Rose's contract a few years back. Malik also had a bad year after signing his big contract. They did move him. I doubt if they give up on Danny as fast. They won't move him unless somebody like Atlanta (Bud) or New Jersey (Marks) comes calling with a package they can't refuse.

It's kind of a catch 22. Obviously we all want him to have a great playoffs. Which would also increase his trade value. But it could also mean the Spurs give him another chance next year. But I don't think he's made his way into the loyalty group that makes him untouchable. Some team next season might value him enough to give the Spurs something they need.

Stand
04-16-2016, 10:29 AM
The guy is number 5 in career 3% in the finals and 2 in active players. Which puts him 29!!! and 9 spots ahead of Curry. Pretty similar for playoff stats too. People seem to forget that Danny can very quickly start shooting just as lights out as Curry. He'll bounce back.

davi78239
04-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Maybe we can trade him on draft night for another Kawai?? Wishful thinking I know.

JohnnyMax
04-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Tony Parker is the reason he was good.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-16-2016, 10:39 AM
This is true to some extent. His ability to get to the rim forced other defenders to cover which contracted defenses. Splitter PnR also helped defensive movement. Now with LA and him being a jump shooter allows for defenses to just sit on players thus leaving more difficult three's for Green to take.

ducks
04-16-2016, 10:40 AM
i would hope he would rebound then u would get more at the trade deadline next year
He is still good on the d

GSH
04-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Who is the real Danny Green? A record breaking finals 3 point shooter for the Spurs .

The problem is, in '13 he shot .666 in the first 5 games of the Finals. Then he shot .182 in the last two games.
In Game 6, he was 1-5 from 3P and 0-2 from 2P. In Game 7, he was 1-6 from 3P, and 0-6 from 2P. The Spurs lost those two games by 3 and 7 points, respectively. Danny had been blistering the 3P line before that, so his combined numbers look good. But his collapse in the Finals mirrors the Spurs demise.

Last playoffs, against the Clips, he had decent games in three contests (one of the losses). But in four games (three of the losses), he was a combined 3-23 from the 3P line. That was a tough first round matchup for the Spurs, and there was plenty of blame to go around. But if Danny had made just a few shots in those games, and forced the Clippers defense to respect his shot, we would have at least gotten to see a second round last year.

SpursBig3s
04-16-2016, 10:52 AM

underrated post

SpursforSix
04-16-2016, 10:55 AM
The guy is number 5 in career 3% in the finals and 2 in active players. Which puts him 29!!! and 9 spots ahead of Curry. Pretty similar for playoff stats too. People seem to forget that Danny can very quickly start shooting just as lights out as Curry. He'll bounce back.

GTFO. He can't shoot like Curry. When Green gets hot, he's very good. But he's got to have an open shot. When Curry gets hot (relative to his regular game), he can get his shot however he wants. Off the dribble, spot up, fading to the side.

r0drig0lac
04-16-2016, 11:16 AM

wtf

james evans
04-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Maybe we can trade him on draft night for another Kawai?? Wishful thinking I know.
That's over. No team is ever gonna give us a draft pick again if we show interest haha

GSH
04-16-2016, 11:32 AM
That's over. No team is ever gonna give us a draft pick again if we show interest haha

You do realize that Don Nelson parlayed a single draft pick, through a three-way trade, and got Dirk AND Nash? He had the #6 pick in the draft, and got two future MVP's for it, in the same deal.

People didn't quit trading for the Mavs because of it. Not that the Spurs are going to get another Kawhi for Danny Green. But when guys like Kawhi drop to #15 in the draft (right below Markieff and Marcus Morris :lol), the other teams just have to blame themselves for not recognizing talent. You don't blame the Spurs for seeing the value there.

Joseph Kony
04-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Trade him to Atlanta for Bazemore in the offseason tbh

SpursforSix
04-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Trade him to Atlanta for Bazemore in the offseason tbh

Green and Parker for Bazemoe and Teague

Joseph Kony
04-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Green and Parker for Bazemoe and Teague

Too bad Splitter is and oft injured puss, he would be nice to have starting next to LMA next year. I like Bazemore a lot, but think Teague is pretty overrated to their success.

Horford would be nice if he was a little bigger

SpursforSix
04-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Too bad Splitter is and oft injured puss, he would be nice to have starting next to LMA next year. I like Bazemore a lot, but think Teague is pretty overrated to their success.

Teague might be overrated but I think he's a solid PG that would do well in SA.

spursistan
04-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Assuming both Manu/TD retire, no player beyond Kawhi is untouchable, even LMA..Parker status was iffy in 2010-2011, but he is now part of too much Spurs history and he is unmovable with that contract along with him terminally declining ..

Spurs will give Green a hard look if he keeps on shooting bricks (let's not forget this shit started in Clippers series) and sink us along the way..this team needs to upgrade its back court to have a chance at contending next season....

Spur|n|Austin
04-16-2016, 12:04 PM
There's no if, and no.

I mean there kind of is though..

RD2191
04-16-2016, 12:04 PM
They need to trade him and porker if they wanna beat the dubs.

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 12:08 PM
It's a shame as Danny is exactly what this team needs, doesn't need the ball in his hands on offense, plays very good defence combined with nasty shooting streaks which can alter a big game in a matter of possessions. But as of right now he's a shooting guard who can't dribble the ball and forgot how to shoot. If he regains his form it's a no brainer to keep him, if he doesn't regain his form nobody in their right mind would want him. Have we seen the best of Danny, is this a slump and he'll be back or is he simply a Cleveland Steamer.

Who is the real Danny Green? A record breaking finals 3 point shooter for the Spurs and great role player who they were lucky to have when he was on fire or a Cleveland Steamer. It's so hard to tell with Danny. He is down on every major statistic this year, PPG, RPG, APG, BPG, SPG, FG%, 3PTFG%, very weird, he is an enigma.

Thanks for the data. It puts things in perspective. Despite the blunder that was the Clippers series last season it highlights how in spite of Tony and Tiago having injuries and a bad series, Danny also had a bad shooting slump at the time and how when he's at 30% it's hard to overcome as it doesn't leave margin for error for others. It's a bad omen for us.

I think the problem is commpounded with Tony' s decline as it was in that series. Your two starting guards shooting in the low 30s' is not going to get it done even with good defense bc you obviously can't and won't stop everything on the opponent side.

Budkin
04-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Nope, they will keep him another year and see if he recovers.

Darius Bieber
04-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't mind trading him to Utah in a deal for Hayward.

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Once Timmy and Manu retires the roster will need to be refreshed. Without Manu we will need a better guard. Danny is probably easier to move than Tony.

spursistan
04-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately for us, Danny has been a barometer of success..the Spurs are 94-21 (playoff/reg season)(81%) in games Green makes at least 3 3pt field goals on at least 45% shooting with quite few of those losses (5) when the Spurs were severely shorthanded in December'14 and early Jan'15..

http://bkref.com/tiny/5r0nT

BillMc
04-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Danny's defense is too valuable especially against the Dubs. Unless someone makes them an offer they can't refuse, I think they give him another offseason to try and get his shot back.

Truthfully, Patty worries me more. If his shot doesn't come back he's useless. I don't want to bash him he's a hell of a good guy, and one of my favorites, but he's too small and limited (especially if Manu retires) if he isn't hitting his shot. He's never been consistently good since the shoulder surgery. :depressed

Some guys get out of the groove and never get it back. Roger Mason Jr for example. Hope that isn't the case with Danny or Patty.

And maybe Curry will get out of that groove he's in. He'll never be bad, but he may regress to a "normal" good shooter.:lol

HarlemHeat37
04-16-2016, 12:56 PM

Green has had virtually the same % of open shots this season as past seasons, tbh..last season, which was Parker's worst season in his NBA career, was Green's best RS in the NBA..

Trading him while his stock is at rock bottom would be pretty stupid..it makes much more sense to see if this year's shooting woes are an anomaly, since there's literally nobody the Spurs could get for the same price that could replicate 2013-2015 Green..

jdelar03
04-16-2016, 01:22 PM
There's no if, and no.

Thats what i was thinking you know he is more than likely going to stink it up in the playoffs and the Spurs will still stick with him.

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Danny's defense is too valuable especially against the Dubs. Unless someone makes them an offer they can't refuse, I think they give him another offseason to try and get his shot back.

Truthfully, Patty worries me more. If his shot doesn't come back he's useless. I don't want to bash him he's a hell of a good guy, and one of my favorites, but he's too small and limited (especially if Manu retires) if he isn't hitting his shot. He's never been consistently good since the shoulder surgery. :depressed

Some guys get out of the groove and never get it back. Roger Mason Jr for example. Hope that isn't the case with Danny or Patty.

And maybe Curry will get out of that groove he's in. He'll never be bad, but he may regress to a "normal" good shooter.:lol

I agree with you on Patty but I think the Spurs definitely want to keep him which is why I didn't even bring him up. He's in a cheap contract, thus he won't bring back much in a trade, plus he's not a starting guard. He probably should not even be playing the 20 minutes he's averaging in this team, nor be in a 2 PG lineup with Tony ever. He's done that bc of our weakness at the SG spot since Danny has been terrible offensively and Manu is on minutes restrictions. Even Anderson has seen minutes at the 2 lately, and the Kmart acquisition was to strengthen the SG spot. Simmons is too raw/inconsistent as well and a very reluctant shooter. And Tony is now on minutes restrictions too, so Patty has played more than he should. In a smaller role where he's not put in the position of being a 6th man of sorts he should be fine.

Patty is definitely limited though and his flaws have been exposed without Manu. Also, not having Cojo this season exposed him. I realized how unappreciated Cojo was. I was among those for whom he was meh! when he was here, but he hid a lot of Patty's defensive deficiencies bc he'd come in games that Patty was stinking it up, thus hiding him, and just letting Patty shine when he had a good game. As soon as Cojo was gone and Pop was forced to live through Patty bad games, bad defense, bad PG skills moments, I realized how limited Patty really is, how much of a chucker he can be and how you need someone else to quarterback an offense--I hate his long 2 coming off a high screen, sometimes very early in the shot clock. Also while I like his aggressiveness he can muck up things for others, as there are times bigs have good position and he can't get them the ball. He's only good for one thing: looking for his shot. If his shot is not falling he won't help. EDIT: as a small SG he can fit in next to other ball dominant players bc he's a shooter which Tony is not... that's for the Kawhi crew, but I am talking bench... and Patty is not a starter caliber guard IMO.

I think Patty can fit in next to playmakers like Andersonv and Diaw though, who are guys that are good getting shots for other ppl, and even J.Simms who is more of a scorer but since he can attack the basket and draw help, he can find shooters too. I would just get the ball our of Patty's hands and put it on Anderson's hands more and call it a bench, unless they want to do something else with Anderson.

The starting guards though are ugh.

tholdren
04-16-2016, 01:41 PM
The problem is, in '13 he shot .666 in the first 5 games of the Finals. Then he shot .182 in the last two games.
In Game 6, he was 1-5 from 3P and 0-2 from 2P. In Game 7, he was 1-6 from 3P, and 0-6 from 2P. The Spurs lost those two games by 3 and 7 points, respectively. Danny had been blistering the 3P line before that, so his combined numbers look good. But his collapse in the Finals mirrors the Spurs demise.

Last playoffs, against the Clips, he had decent games in three contests (one of the losses). But in four games (three of the losses), he was a combined 3-23 from the 3P line. That was a tough first round matchup for the Spurs, and there was plenty of blame to go around. But if Danny had made just a few shots in those games, and forced the Clippers defense to respect his shot, we would have at least gotten to see a second round last year.

Actually taking numbers in some semblance of context? Wtf has this board become? Kl lives his life of that finals mvp years ago.

Danny green would be a keeper if he wasn't a retard. No offensive skills combined with, low BB iq, combined with clubbin mentality. Should trade when value is higher than now. Hope for a spurs ring And move green in a sign and trade.

dbestpro
04-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Green will be gone if the Spurs do not win it all regardless of how good he plays. Someone has to be the scapegoat even if it is deserved.

cd021
04-16-2016, 02:41 PM

That could be directly tied to the big 3.

Duncan and Parker were dominant in '13. All three were solid in '14, along with the best floor spacing that the spurs ever had. '15 Only Duncan showed up. Green did have an excellent game 7.

TheGreatYacht
04-16-2016, 03:16 PM
This. I remember the Heat blitzing 13' MVParker on picks and him finding Green open, or finding the guy who will give Green the open shot.

We go as far as Parker leads us

tholdren
04-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Green will be gone if the Spurs do not win it all regardless of how good he plays. Someone has to be the scapegoat even if it is deserved.

Spurs fans can only pray

GSH
04-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Actually taking numbers in some semblance of context?

Yeah, I'm funny that way.

I've been looking at more of the Dubs regular season games. They are not NEARLY as efficient when they have to grind out shots in the half court. They do a lot of their damage off of turnovers, and missed shots. Those plays account for a lot of their edge.

So while I agree that Danny is still important on defense, I'm convinced that taking bad shots against Golden State is the surest way to lose to them. And when Danny is in the game, the Spurs are practically playing 4-on-5. Maybe that's too extreme, but he's definitely not helping them get quality looks. That's a killer against the Warriors.

BillMc
04-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I'm funny that way.

I've been looking at more of the Dubs regular season games. They are not NEARLY as efficient when they have to grind out shots in the half court. They do a lot of their damage off of turnovers, and missed shots. Those plays account for a lot of their edge.

So while I agree that Danny is still important on defense, I'm convinced that taking bad shots against Golden State is the surest way to lose to them. And when Danny is in the game, the Spurs are practically playing 4-on-5. Maybe that's too extreme, but he's definitely not helping them get quality looks. That's a killer against the Warriors.

You're right to a certain extent (about the bad shots being lethal against the Dubs) but what are we going to do? Play creaking ancient Manu major minutes every game? Simmons? Martin? We gotta roll with Danny's nice D and hope he gets hot on offense.

GSH
04-16-2016, 04:12 PM
You're right to a certain extent (about the bad shots being lethal against the Dubs) but what are we going to do? Play creaking ancient Manu major minutes every game? Simmons? Martin? We gotta roll with Danny's nice D and hope he gets hot on offense.

Oh, no, of course not. This season is what it is. Go with Danny's D, and hope that he has enough decent shooting games to move to the next round. But the thread was about next year.

I was one of Danny's earliest supporters here. I came home from the first preseason game saying he was going to make the roster. And I was one of the few defending him when there were constant threads about how terrible he supposedly was. But I'm looking at his game right now, and thinking that his (lack of) offensive contribution is going to ruin the Spurs in the WCF. It's more than his own lack of shots falling, too.

I hope not. Hell, I've been a fan this long, and I'll keep hoping that he steps his game up at the right time. But that's a fan's hope, and not an objective look at the season.

BillMc
04-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Oh, no, of course not. This season is what it is. Go with Danny's D, and hope that he has enough decent shooting games to move to the next round. But the thread was about next year.

I was one of Danny's earliest supporters here. I came home from the first preseason game saying he was going to make the roster. And I was one of the few defending him when there were constant threads about how terrible he supposedly was. But I'm looking at his game right now, and thinking that his (lack of) offensive contribution is going to ruin the Spurs in the WCF. It's more than his own lack of shots falling, too.

I hope not. Hell, I've been a fan this long, and I'll keep hoping that he steps his game up at the right time. But that's a fan's hope, and not an objective look at the season.

Well said. And you're right the topic is next season so my bad. That said, I'm still for giving Danny an offseason to work on his shot. We wouldn't get equal value for him and his deal is pretty good with the cap going up. Of course the rumor that Atlanta offered Holford for him shows he does have value out there. But I'd like to keep him. He's one of the poster boys for the d-league success story. If Simmons has half the career Danny's had, we'll be in good shap.

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 04:50 PM

I could see Pop throwing Simmons out there in a game getting out of hand like Houston is doing with KJ McDaniels here. It would be a swim or sink moment for Simmons, but I would not count him out.. Defense is not going to be the same as Danny but as you point out, good offense is your best defense at times.

Tully365
04-16-2016, 04:50 PM
I don't think his trade value is high, as most GMs probably view him as a player with obvious shortcomings who fits into the Spur system... Ultimately, I'd love an upgrade that sends Danny to the bench-- someone like Nick Batum, who would give the Spurs another ballhandler and passer, something they'll be in desperate need of with Manu & Tony either retiring/aging... With the salary cap going up in the next few years, $10mil will still a bit high for a bench player, but not out of the question for a 25mpg guy. Love his D, but I have to admit it's frustrating to watch a guy who is a guard in the NBA be such a poor ball handler...

GSH
04-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Well said. And you're right the topic is next season so my bad. That said, I'm still for giving Danny an offseason to work on his shot. We wouldn't get equal value for him and his deal is pretty good with the cap going up. Of course the rumor that Atlanta offered Holford for him shows he does have value out there. But I'd like to keep him. He's one of the poster boys for the d-league success story. If Simmons has half the career Danny's had, we'll be in good shap.

Well as far as what actually WILL happen, I think you're dead on. The Spurs wouldn't get equal value for him, like you say. And if Duncan retires, that will already leave a big hole to fill. The Spurs can't afford to trade down (or to take the chance of it), and they can't really afford to buy two quality starters.

People always talk about the Spurs' remarkable success over a long period of time. Continuity has been a big part of that. If I just had to make a bet, it would be that they stand pat with Danny, no matter what. Whether or not they can contend for a title, without Danny picking it up? That's another story.

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 05:09 PM
Well as far as what actually WILL happen, I think you're dead on. The Spurs wouldn't get equal value for him, like you say. And if Duncan retires, that will already leave a big hole to fill. The Spurs can't afford to trade down (or to take the chance of it), and they can't really afford to buy two quality starters.

People always talk about the Spurs' remarkable success over a long period of time. Continuity has been a big part of that. If I just had to make a bet, it would be that they stand pat with Danny, no matter what. Whether or not they can contend for a title, without Danny picking it up? That's another story.
Good point. But it's unfair to Kawhi and LMA to stand pat with Danny and Tony when the two together will not continue to cut it. But, we may be cliff jumping. Playoffs still have to be played. I tend to think he gets another season too but Tony further aging and Manu retiring puts them in dire straits.

GSH
04-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Good point. But it's unfair to Kawhi and LMA to stand pat with Danny and Tony when the two together will not continue to cut it. But, we may be cliff jumping. Playoffs still have to be played. I tend to think he gets another season too but Tony further aging and Manu retiring puts them in dire straits.

It's unfair that there is a soft cap, and we're a small market team. But that's sort of life. The Spurs either have to find someone better, for a price they can afford, or stick with what they have. If you're including Tony, then you're talking about buying three quality starters. That's tough to do - especially on their budget. And getting stronger at one position, and weaker at another probably doesn't make them a stronger title contender.

When you trade a player, and don't get full value, it's a talent drain. The Spurs don't get anywhere NEAR the talent infusion out of the draft, over time, because they are always one of the last teams to pick. So if they bleed value through trades, they're going to be looking at re-building years. If you think this place melts down over Danny missing 3-point shots, and failing to go 41-0 at home - that's nothing compared to what would happen if they had to go through a re-build.

Just my opinion, but I doubt that they can afford to trade Green, because of the other needs they will have. But I've learned about trying to guess what the Spurs will do personnel-wise.

wildbill2u
04-16-2016, 05:26 PM
We all kept hoping his shooting would recover by the end of the season. No such luck. His 3pt average percentage dropped by a staggering 8.6% this year. Previous averages were over 41% and this year .332%. When something like that happens over an entire season, there has to be a reason and a serious reason. Some past players with such a dropoff had eyesight problems, drug problems or too much partying problems or the effect of a big contract. The eyes can be tested and probably fixed by treatment. The other problems not so much.

I've also noticed a lack of focus and sporadic lack of effort on defense. Something is fucked up in this young man's head.

Cklbmk
04-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Trade him for Batum S&T.

please please please

GSH
04-16-2016, 06:00 PM
We all kept hoping his shooting would recover by the end of the season. No such luck. His 3pt average percentage dropped by a staggering 8.6% this year. Previous averages were over 41% and this year .332%. When something like that happens over an entire season, there has to be a reason and a serious reason. Some past players with such a dropoff had eyesight problems, drug problems or too much partying problems or the effect of a big contract. The eyes can be tested and probably fixed by treatment. The other problems not so much.

I've also noticed a lack of focus and sporadic lack of effort on defense. Something is fucked up in this young man's head.

Damn, ST is getting a lot of good takes today - without the usual cast of jackasses screaming them down for no apparent reason.

I'll take it as an omen. If the Spurs players pick up their game as much as ST is, we'll get to celebrate #6.

Capt Bringdown
04-16-2016, 07:17 PM

Depressing but accurate. Green is a consistent choker and playoff under-achiever. "But this time, it'll be different."
I understand the the playoffs are the second season, but it's not likely that this leopard will change his spots, unfortunately.

Kawhitstorm
04-16-2016, 07:32 PM
This. I remember the Heat blitzing 13' MVParker on picks and him finding Green open, or finding the guy who will give Green the open shot.

We go as far as Parker leads us

Last I checked, Porky wasn't on the court when the Spurs basically won the most important game of the 2014 run at OKC.:lol

Kawhitstorm
04-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Horford used to be a decent rebounder before his pectoral injuries, now he's D-West status.:lol

Otherwise, he's a perfect small-ball PF/C.(Horford/Millsap are the best small-ball frontline except they get crushed by traditional frontlines:lol)

Teague might be overrated but I think he's a solid PG that would do well in SA.

Teague is as good as 2014 Porker so I wouldn't mind him for the right price.

TheGreatYacht
04-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Last I checked, Porky wasn't on the court when the Spurs basically won the most important game of the 2014 run at OKC.:lol
Neither was Kiwi, tbh :lol besides one game

The GOATPF carrying scrubs, per par

kaji157
04-17-2016, 02:47 AM

Wow...
You might have the heart of the truest believer.

I hope you are right, because i think his shot will not be fixed this year.

Russo21
04-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Please come back Danny (the good you, not the shit version of you) we need you! Come out come out wherever you are! I hope he goes off and knocks down 11 long bombs in game 1 and it all starts from there. He is so important when he's on. We had our best record ever with Danny sucking all season. Imagine how good we could be if he gets his form back. Go Danny!!!!!

tholdren
04-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Green has had virtually the same % of open shots this season as past seasons, tbh..last season, which was Parker's worst season in his NBA career, was Green's best RS in the NBA..

Trading him while his stock is at rock bottom would be pretty stupid..it makes much more sense to see if this year's shooting woes are an anomaly, since there's literally nobody the Spurs could get for the same price that could replicate 2013-2015 Green..
Highly unlikely to find, but not like that player isn't out there. Calling Jon Diebler...

tholdren
04-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Totals Totals for all European competition · Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · Export · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/jon-diebler-1.html#totals::none) · ?

Season
League(s)
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
eFG%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2011-12 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/years/2012.html)
Greek A1 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/greek-basket-league/2012.html)

2013-14 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/years/2014.html)
Eurocup (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/eurocup/2014.html)

2014-15 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/years/2015.html)
Eurocup (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/eurocup/2015.html)

2015-16 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/years/2016.html)
Euroleague (http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/euroleague/2016.html)

SD126
04-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Should they? Yes

Will they? Doubt it.

SpursFan86
04-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Trading him after one shitty year while his value is at its absolute lowest would be pretty stupid :lol I can't imagine the Spurs would trade him this offseason (barring some incredible offer you can't pass up, but that won't happen given the season Green has had), regardless of what he does in the playoffs.

GSH
04-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Danny only takes one shot tonight - but he drained it. Bitchin' defense, including 3 steals. That's a good start.

DPG21920
04-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Danny played well on defense during the majority of his stint. He was open, but offense was groggy. Good news is he hit his only shot, but this will definitely be a series where DG gets some shots up. MEM gives up too many 3's for Danny not to get shots.

tholdren
04-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Danny played well on defense during the majority of his stint. He was open, but offense was groggy. Good news is he hit his only shot, but this will definitely be a series where DG gets some shots up. MEM gives up too many 3's for Danny not to get shots.
Danny likes men

wildbill2u
04-17-2016, 10:35 PM
The bright side is that Danny is shooting 3s at 100% in the playoffs.

DMC
04-17-2016, 10:43 PM
If SA wants to trade Danny, how he does in the playoffs is irrelevant. He's established his game already, and he's a known quantity that the Spurs need and could get a good offer for. They won't trade him.

AZK619
04-17-2016, 10:47 PM
3 points :(

SAGirl
04-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Why wasn't he getting as many shots?. I was in an out after the first quarter and came back in the 3rd when the game got in garbage time. I feel like Mills and Martin got the most 3s in garbage time.

DPG21920
04-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Why wasn't he getting as many shots?. I was in an out after the first quarter and came back in the 3rd when the game got in garbage time. I feel like Mills and Martin got the most 3s in garbage time.

Was a symptom of a poor offensive first half. Spurs went heavy ISO and even when MEM came hard on doubles, Spurs were slow and not moving the ball. Danny just didn't get any looks because of it. Then when things opened up Danny wasn't really playing.

SAGirl
04-17-2016, 10:51 PM
If SA wants to trade Danny, how he does in the playoffs is irrelevant. He's established his game already, and he's a known quantity that the Spurs need and could get a good offer for. They won't trade him.
I tend to agree. He won't be traded and his bad shooting season won't matter at all if he shoots better in th playoffs. Hopefully he keeps it going. He got some shots to go in the Dallas game too.

SAGirl
04-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Was a symptom of a poor offensive first half. Spurs went heavy ISO and even when MEM came hard on doubles, Spurs were slow and not moving the ball. Danny just didn't get any looks because of it. Then when things opened up Danny wasn't really playing.

Thanks. :toast
Hmm makes me think about Pop's offense. It felt like guys got baskets off defensive plays a lot more.

GSH
04-17-2016, 11:00 PM

The good news is that he didn't try to put the ball on the floor, and kill possessions. I wouldn't mind if he only takes 3 shots a game, if they're all open 3's that he can square up on.

He was busy on defense. He had another steal, but the ball hit a ref and kicked out of bounds. He got some other deflections, and generally played good D.

DMC
04-17-2016, 11:15 PM
The problem on offense isn't just hitting shots. It's that their half court sets are a few token passes often with no rhyme or reason and each guy who gets the ball acts like they didn't expect to get it and don't know what to do with it. They either make a risky pass, pass late in the clock or start an iso play. I don't know if they run any sets to completion in the past few games. That high-low from Tim to LMA has been money, but it's not been used much, probably because Tim and LMA aren't on the floor together all that much. Like the past few years, the 2nd unit seems to have their ball movement down much better.

I have to wonder if some of the issues on the 1st unit is because Tim is out of position. Would anyone say anything if he was? I saw a few times tonight that Tim wasn't expecting the ball when he got it. He played great, but quite often the appeared as if they haven't played but a handful of games together as a starting unit.

On the other hand, the bench guys came in with a vengeance. Kyle Anderson was great in his first playoff game. You could tell he was stoked for it as was Simmons. Miller didn't get any burn, which surprised me a bit. I wonder if he's just the TMac guy Pop hopes to drag to a ring or use in an emergency.

TrainOfThought5
04-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Wouldn't mind trading him to Utah in a deal for Hayward.

This could be huge for us.. No way the contractd would match..

GSH
04-17-2016, 11:23 PM
The problem on offense isn't just hitting shots. It's that their half court sets are a few token passes often with no rhyme or reason and each guy who gets the ball acts like they didn't expect to get it and don't know what to do with it. They either make a risky pass, pass late in the clock or start an iso play. I don't know if they run any sets to completion in the past few games. That high-low from Tim to LMA has been money, but it's not been used much, probably because Tim and LMA aren't on the floor together all that much. Like the past few years, the 2nd unit seems to have their ball movement down much better.

I have to wonder if some of the issues on the 1st unit is because Tim is out of position. Would anyone say anything if he was? I saw a few times tonight that Tim wasn't expecting the ball when he got it. He played great, but quite often the appeared as if they haven't played but a handful of games together as a starting unit.

On the other hand, the bench guys came in with a vengeance. Kyle Anderson was great in his first playoff game. You could tell he was stoked for it as was Simmons. Miller didn't get any burn, which surprised me a bit. I wonder if he's just the TMac guy Pop hopes to drag to a ring or use in an emergency.

Those long cross-court passes were driving me up the wall. Guys not moving, no passing lanes, so they chunked over everyone's head and the guy taking the pass had to jump to keep it out of the stands several times.

Miller was one of the two inactives, along with Bonner, so he couldn't get minutes tonight. As long as Patty is looking good, I guess there's no need for Miller, unless Pop sees some matchup he likes. Lots of people say that will be against GS, but I'm not sure I see it.

It looks to me like Tim is having a harder time wrestling for position, and getting shoved off his spot a lot easier than in the past. I know that's easy to say from the luxury of the living room. But he's playing quite a bit lighter than he was at his prime, and like it or not age takes a toll on strength. I don't think there could ever be a time when Timmy didn't know where to be on the court. I'm not sure he can always get there anymore.

TrainOfThought5
04-17-2016, 11:25 PM
Trade him for Batum S&T.

please please please

Package him for a trade up for a good young PG.. Promote Simmons.. Problem solved.

DPG21920
04-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Y'all are making my head hurt.

SAGirl
04-18-2016, 12:04 AM
It looks to me like Tim is having a harder time wrestling for position, and getting shoved off his spot a lot easier than in the past. I know that's easy to say from the luxury of the living room. But he's playing quite a bit lighter than he was at his prime, and like it or not age takes a toll on strength. I don't think there could ever be a time when Timmy didn't know where to be on the court. I'm not sure he can always get there anymore.
I think the problem is the legs as you need strong legs to really box out. Hard to be critical of him, but he's noticeably not the same guy as last season and its all once he got the knee soreness and second brace.
We have to enjoy watching these guys bc it might be the last for this particular group.

On another note, sorry for the Grizzlies to be so decimated, but LMA got ZBo, and Kawhi got Barnes. It's good to put those bad memories from last season behind early!

SAGirl
04-18-2016, 12:06 AM
Y'all are making my head hurt.
All season, every season almost. He won't be traded -period. Our best chance is for him to catch a rhythm bc he can and if he does all this conversation is moot.

My personal concern was more him as limit ed offensively as he is + declining Tony - Manu.... all of those factors combined place us in a difficult spot, but that's a worry for the off-season. We shall see.

AFMadison
04-18-2016, 01:55 AM

I've been preaching this all year. I posted in another thread about our ISO's and our offense having no rhythm particularly in our floppy sets to set up Kawhi and LMA. It's a terrible set compared to what we had in the past. No options unless a double team. This game looked better in my opinion and I expect the offense to start opening up. Glad we get some extra practice in with this Memphis team...
i think the problem with the first unit all really comes down to our floppy sets TBH. We try to establish it way to early imo and the rest of the team is not involved. Get the team involved first, then let LMA and Kawhi go to work. It was nice to see Kawhi start off the game with a steal, dunk, 3, and not a post up.

Gervin44Silas13
04-18-2016, 07:56 AM

2016 More commercials made LOL

It seems he hasn't put any work into his game in the off season I'm sorry it shows

Gervin44Silas13
04-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Danny Green 2016 = Richard Jefferson 2011 LOL

In 2011 we got out matched by a younger hungry Memphis team that postseason sucked balls

Gervin44Silas13
04-18-2016, 08:03 AM
he showed up in Game 7 then cried like a bitch when we lost

Cklbmk
04-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Package him for a trade up for a good young PG.. Promote Simmons.. Problem solved.

Who replaces Manu then? Simmons seems like thats his role

Chinook
04-18-2016, 08:21 AM
Who is the real Danny Green?

Yeah, who's the real Green? The 44 playoff games from 2013-2014, or the seven playoff games from last year? Or hell, the 44 games from 2013-2014, the three games last playoffs where he shot over 50 percent from three and the one game this year he he made the only shot he took, or the four games last post-season where he shot under 50 percent from three?

48 versus four, really tough to decided...

Fans are being completely irrational when they evaluate Green's history. Everyone knows he was bad shooting during this past regular season. But he was still critical last post-season, and obviously the 2014-2015 regular season was great. Even during this season, his defense was so good that he ranked fifth in RPM among SGs. He ranked ahead of Klay and Batum despite not being able to shoot at all. You're not getting better than that for the money, so the Spurs aren't trading him.

cjw
04-18-2016, 08:36 AM
On another note, sorry for the Grizzlies to be so decimated, but LMA got ZBo, and Kawhi got Barnes. It's good to put those bad memories from last season behind early!

Seeing VC and Barnes playing for the Grizzlies brings up three bad semi-recent memories for Spurs fans. At least with the first, Spurs salvaged the Mavs series and the rest was history.

TrainOfThought5
04-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Who replaces Manu then? Simmons seems like thats his role

Theres no replacing GOAT 6th man Manu.. Kyle Anderson will do his best to make teammates better..