PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Pre-Playoff Interview with Tim Duncan

BillMc
04-16-2016, 05:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/762/tim-duncan-expects-wounded-grizzlies-to-be-very-scrappy-very-physical

SAN ANTONIO -- As the San Antonio Spurs (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) prepare to host the Memphis Grizzlies (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/mem/memphis-grizzlies) on Sunday for the first round of the Western Conference playoffs, we caught up with forward Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan) to get his thoughts on the upcoming matchup:

Are you excited the playoffs are finally here?

Tim Duncan: Yeah, absolutely. Ready for the playoffs to start. It’s been a long year, a very good year to get our team acclimated for this point. Now we’re ready to do it for real. It’s going to be a lot of fun.

What makes the playoffs different for you? What makes it special?

TD: Just the intensity. The focus is more there, you’re more prepared. You’re not jumping from team to team and having a day to prepare. You have an extended period of time and multiple games against these guys, and you have to make adjustments on the fly. There’s a lot less secrets and a lot more going out there and just executing.

How important is it for Danny Green (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green) to shoot the ball better in the postseason?

TD: It’s always important for him to shoot better. He’s been up and down this year. I think it’s just about building his confidence and getting some good looks early. We’re going to need him to make shots through the playoffs. Good place to start here.

Do you feel like the team is playing its best basketball going into the playoffs?

TD: Yeah, for the most part. Defensively we’re a lot more solid than anything else. We’ve had some ups and downs. Obviously some guys dinged up here and there, with lineup changes and people playing and not playing. All that stuff factors in, but we have a full squad here. We’ll have everybody ready to go and see what happens.

What do you expect in the postseason from younger players such asBoban Marjanovic (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4376/boban-marjanovic) and Jonathon Simmons (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2579466/jonathon-simmons)?

TD: I don’t know what to expect from anyone. We’re going to show up and figure it out. [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is] going to do what he does in making lineup changes to adjust to who we’re playing. We’ll see who plays and how much.
It’s a great experience time for those two guys. They both had very good seasons and got some experience, but this is a whole different ballgame and hopefully they can come in here and really continue it.

Did anything surprise you about LaMarcus Aldridge (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge) coming in here and adjusting to this team?

TD: It took him a while. I think it took him longer to adjust to us than it did for us to get used to him. That was the biggest thing. He continued to try to defer to us for a long time while we were trying to push him all along to take over. It took him longer to get comfortable with that.

The Grizzlies have endured lots of injuries this season. What are you expecting from them?

TD: Same thing they always bring: very scrappy, very physical. They’ve got a lot of guys that are going to try to turn up the intensity and make plays with their energy, their steals, their physicality. They’re going to bring it in that respect, and they’ve got a lot of vets out there who have been in the playoffs enough, and they know what it takes to get over that hump.

Psychologically, do you do anything differently as the playoffs approach?

TD: No. It’s the playoffs. At this point I don’t do anything different. Mentally, you kind of know where you are and what it’s going to take. You lock in and, hopefully, have the run to those 16 wins.

As you’ve aged, has each playoff run taken on more urgency and intensity than for you than in the past?

TD: Not really. You feel it along the way and as it ramps up and it gets later into the rounds. It gets more exciting and you get more locked in as it goes. But to get overly excited early, you just burn yourself out. This is a long process, another whole season, so we’ll just be ready for the long haul.

GSH
04-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Dang, you're on a roll. Starting to remind me of someone else who used to post a lot of good articles here (and shall remain nameless since I don't want to stir up anything ;))

What is it... something like 2am where you are?

BillMc
04-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Dang, you're on a roll. Starting to remind me of someone else who used to post a lot of good articles here (and shall remain nameless since I don't want to stir up anything ;))

Thanks.

1:12 AM here. Actually, I stayed in on Saturday to do my taxes (still an American even though I live here) but procrastinated further watching basketball. :lol Much more interesting to be on ST than downloading IRS forms.

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 05:19 PM
:bobo
Nice find!! So excited!

TheGreatYacht
04-16-2016, 05:20 PM
"A lot less secrets"

I hope Tim is hinting at the Spurs doing a complete 180 away from the switching defense they've been doing recently. It won't work against Stephon. Just put Danny on him all game and live with Harrison Barnes trying to score on Parker (which he couldn't do in the post this season)

BillMc
04-16-2016, 05:21 PM
Nice find!! So excited!

Thanks. It's rather funny they ask about "young guys" Boban and Simmons, but forget Anderson who is younger than both of them and will likely play more. (Certainly more than Simmons).

HarlemHeat37
04-16-2016, 05:23 PM
"A lot less secrets"

I hope Tim is hinting at the Spurs doing a complete 180 away from the switching defense they've been doing recently. It won't work against Stephon. Just put Danny on him all game and live with Harrison Barnes trying to score on Parker (which he couldn't do in the post this season)

Warriors tried to "exploit" Harden with Harrison Barnes on 3 of the first 4 possessions of today's game and it failed miserably:lol..they immediately abandoned it..

TheGreatYacht
04-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Warriors tried to "exploit" Harden with Harrison Barnes on 3 of the first 4 possessions of today's game and it failed miserably:lol..they immediately abandoned it..
This 1000x... If he's not being completely left open in the corner or cutting to the rim, he's pretty much useless.

GSH
04-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Actually, I stayed in on Saturday to do my taxes (still an American even though I live here) but procrastinated further watching basketball. :lol Much more interesting to be on ST than downloading IRS forms.

Heh... we're sitting here finishing ours and saying, "That can't be right."

I like the way Tim soft-steps around Danny's shooting. He's a good teammate. Always has been. Most stars find a way to get in a dig, but Tim is just positive and encouraging.

littlecoyotecoin
04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Ditto, Bill on a roll with the goods. And, yes. Taxes. Taxes. Keep that audit probability in the green, buddy!

BillMc
04-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Ditto, Bill on a roll with the goods. And, yes. Taxes. Taxes. Keep that audit probability in the green, buddy!

Cheers bro!:toast Never been audited (knock on wood). Hear it's on par with a divorce or last-second-Ray-Allen-shot-when-you-should-have-won-a-chip-dammit- for stress.

BillMc
04-16-2016, 05:54 PM
you should get an auto-extension to june 15

Thanks, but not needed. Want it over with.

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks. It's rather funny they ask about "young guys" Boban and Simmons, but forget Anderson who is younger than both of them and will likely play more. (Certainly more than Simmons).

Secretly I think some of the local media are not much of a fan of his game bc he's neither flashy like Simmons nor have a cult following like Boban, but to be a bit more objective, I shared a link in his playoff minutes watch that left little doubt that he WILL play as Pop basically said: "I have played him all season, I don't see a reason to change that now." It's practically a given he will play so it wasn't news.

The more relevant question was to inquire what they expect of Anderson who is the real young guy in the team and is expected to play. Bad press. :lol:toast

Kawhitstorm
04-16-2016, 06:02 PM

The way to "exploit" HarDone is in transition just like when Corey Brewer dropped 51 on him.:lol (He is actually a good post defender)

GSH
04-16-2016, 06:06 PM

Secretly I think some of the local media are not much of a fan of his game bc he's neither flashy like Simmons nor have a cult following like Boban,

You know, it's probably more that Kyle isn't a newcomer, and has seen a lot more consistent minutes this season. I didn't see that quote from Pop, but that pretty much says it. Boban and Simmons are still a mystery, as far as the playoffs go.

And, besides, Kyle has a cult following, too. You. :lol

SAGirl
04-16-2016, 06:10 PM
You know, it's probably more that Kyle isn't a newcomer, and has seen a lot more consistent minutes this season. I didn't see that quote from Pop, but that pretty much says it. Boban and Simmons are still a mystery, as far as the playoffs go.

And, besides, Kyle has a cult following, too. You. :lol Proud member if his church and I will not be dissappointed :cheer

He's had a more regular role bc he's so versatile that he's not affected by matches like Boban and he hasn't been prone to mistakes like J.Simms, but these are his first playoffs though, his first real NBA playoffs and he is quite young.

Timmy would probably not have shared much about his young teammate though. I can't imagine him revealing anything but support.

Splits
04-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks.

1:12 AM here. Actually, I stayed in on Saturday to do my taxes (still an American even though I live here) but procrastinated further watching basketball. :lol Much more interesting to be on ST than downloading IRS forms.

Downloading IRS forms? TurboTax can do your FEI 2555 and all others for expats.

BillMc
04-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Downloading IRS forms? TurboTax can do your FEI 2555 and all others for expats.

Yeah, I'm actually doing it all online. But I do download a hard copy when done.

littlecoyotecoin
04-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks, but not needed. Want it over with.

Not to mention those extensions probably move that audit bar to the right just a tad ;).

BillMc
04-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Not to mention those extensions probably move that audit bar to the right just a tad ;).

Oh, well I'm already out of the country. Life on the lam it is...:lol

littlecoyotecoin
04-16-2016, 07:05 PM
Oh, well I'm already out of the country. Life on the lam it is...:lol

Heh...Bill Bourne.

BillMc
04-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Heh...Bill Bourne.

Yes, but when they restore my memories I better not be a Mavs fan!

Spurs 4 The Win
04-16-2016, 07:52 PM
As you’ve aged, has each playoff run taken on more urgency and intensity than for you than in the past?

TD: Not really. You feel it along the way and as it ramps up and it gets later into the rounds. It gets more exciting and you get more locked in as it goes. But to get overly excited early, you just burn yourself out. This is a long process, another whole season, so we’ll just be ready for the long haul.

Translation: I dont even start getting a chubby until the WCF

tmtcsc
04-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks.

Where do you live Bill?

spurs10
04-17-2016, 12:47 AM
Where do you live Bill? Bill lives in Riga- hences the Riga time in the game threads.

DMC
04-17-2016, 01:00 AM
Tim never really answers any questions. You can get whatever you want from his answers.

Based on how they closed out the season, I don't think they're solid at all. In fact I think everything about them is questionable from KL's tortoise shell to LMA's pinky to Tony's Tissot to Danny's trash can to Patty's hero ballin' to Anderson got tickets to the game to Boris being fat to Tim spending more time on his back than Amy to Pop thinking ahead to USA basketball. It's all a huge fucking question mark.

tmtcsc
04-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Tim never really answers any questions. You can get whatever you want from his answers.

Based on how they closed out the season, I don't think they're solid at all. In fact I think everything about them is questionable from KL's tortoise shell to LMA's pinky to Tony's Tissot to Danny's trash can to Patty's hero ballin' to Anderson got tickets to the game to Boris being fat to Tim spending more time on his back than Amy to Pop thinking ahead to USA basketball. It's all a huge fucking question mark.

Meh, as far as I'm concerned, the season starts tomorrow. Start fresh - 16 wins to 6.

BillMc
04-17-2016, 05:45 AM
Where do you live Bill?

Riga, Latvia.

BillMc
04-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Bill lives in Riga- hences the Riga time in the game threads.

Uriel
04-17-2016, 08:19 AM

I miss duncan228. :cry