PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Buford deserves Executive of the Year for brilliant offseason

dabom
04-19-2016, 06:05 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1008370

9/10 short article listing all the moves. :tu

BillMc
04-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Agree 100% And I think he'll get it.

tonight...you
04-19-2016, 06:07 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1008370

9/10 short article listing all the moves. :tu
That man deserves a Lifetime Award.
Him, Riley, West and a couple others.

MultiTroll
04-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Easily.
I loved every move except KMartin.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2016, 07:01 PM
The only problem I have with that article is referring to Kawhi as "arguably the league's top two-way player". I don't think it's remotely arguable at this point.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2016, 07:01 PM
Easily.
I loved every move except KMartin.

And it was still a good move. I just thought it was shitty to get rid of Butler instead of Bonner.

elemento
04-19-2016, 07:09 PM
I'd give it to Olshey tbh

Portland had a devastating offseason losing 4 starters, NBA "experts" had them winning 20 games and they went to the playoffs as a 5th seed. He did more with less to work imo.

TheGreatYacht
04-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Matt Bonner and Kyle Anderson are still on the roster :td

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-20-2016, 12:38 AM

Portland had a devastating offseason losing 4 starters, NBA "experts" had them winning 20 games and they went to the playoffs as a 5th seed. He did more with less to work imo.

He's obviously done a great job last summer, though I see them as a bit of a Phoenix in that they may very soon drop off, however Olshey should never be named Executive of the Year imo - he was the guy who traded the Clipper's unprotected pick ( that became no.1 ) for Mo Williams.

pookenstein
04-20-2016, 04:31 AM
He's obviously done a great job last summer, though I see them as a bit of a Phoenix in that they may very soon drop off, however Olshey should never be named Executive of the Year imo - he was the guy who traded the Clipper's unprotected pick ( that became no.1 ) for Mo Williams.

But it's the Executive of the Year Award. Not lifetime. So past fuckups, as big as they have been, shouldn't count.

Gervin44Silas13
04-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Would he be B2B Executive of the year if we nab Durant this coming off season?

SAGirl
04-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Well he should have kept Jimmer and waived flathead though....:lol

hater
04-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Keeping Bonner and letting go of Rasual is one of the dumbest moves in NBA history.

Epic fail thread

SpursFan86
04-20-2016, 08:27 AM
The only problem I have with that article is referring to Kawhi as "arguably the league's top two-way player". I don't think it's remotely arguable at this point.

LeBron has actually gone back to playing defense this year, so he could certainly be argued.

elemento
04-20-2016, 09:41 AM

This is not lifetime award. It was 5 years ago.

The Clippers did it to get rid of the 30m of Baron's remaining contract (per Sterling request). Cleveland actually got very lucky with that pick, because that pick had a 2.8% chance to be the 1st overall. Not a good trade, but with hindsight everything is easier.

In hindsight, Buford could have kept Dick Jefferson + our 2012 pick and he could have taken Draymond Green with that pick.

Or instead of gifting Scola to the Houston Rockets to save 3m of Jackie Butler's contract, he could have made an effort to bring him.

Every single GM in the NBA has past mistakes. The award should not be about what they did in the past. It's about what they did to make their teams better this season. In my opinion, Portland did more with less to work. Any other team in the league missing 4 starters would probably miss the playoffs.

Chinook
04-20-2016, 10:15 AM
Olshey doesn't deserve the nod over Buford. Portland isn't a very talented team, and that's why by and large the good teams of the West are shrugging them aside. Stotts deserves serious consideration for taking a bad of underachievers and making a playoff roster out of them.

SoonerSpur512
04-20-2016, 10:19 AM

He should get some of the blame for losing 4/5 starters too.

elemento
04-20-2016, 11:03 AM
He should get some of the blame for losing 4/5 starters too.

It depends how you see it. Sometimes GMs have to make financial choices. I liked Baynes and Beli during their time here. But I wouldn't blame Buford for letting them go when you look at the contracts that they got somewhere else. it was absolutely the right move, even considering that we're missing some shooting from Beli and a quality backup C.

29 y/o Wes Mattews got a 70m contract after an Achilles rupture. Letting Mattews go also allowed CJ McColum to explode this season into a quality starting SG.

Batum for Vonleh + Henderson - Questionable. It depends on Vonleh's development and Batum's next contract.

Aldridge - LMA wanted out

Lopez - mediocre C that got a 54m contract from the Knicks.

For the things that Olshey could control, I'd say that the Batum trade was the only one questionable and we have yet to see who won the trade. I feel that he made absolutely the right choice about the rest.

And look, I'm not saying that Buford doesn't deserve some love here, he definitely does, but I feel that Olshey had a more difficult situation to work with.

SpursFan86
04-20-2016, 11:14 AM
I think making moves and landing pieces to take a team from 55 to 67 wins (especially an older team that many keep thinking will fall off) is much more impressive than making moves to salvage a team that just lost 4 starters so that they can win 44 games and get knocked out in the 1st round.

I mean yeah, guys like Aminu/Plumlee/Ed Davis were solid pickups but Buford managed to land Aldridge/West/Boban/Simmons/Martin/Miller all in the same year, as well as locking up Kawhi for 5 years and dumping Splitter's contract (which in hindsight looks like a brilliant move). Buford is the no-brainer choice IMO.

spursistan
04-20-2016, 11:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgiUrj_WYAAWWBe.jpg

Ice009
04-21-2016, 12:09 AM
LeBron has actually gone back to playing defense this year, so he could certainly be argued.

I thought I read earlier this season that he's been loafing around on that end of the court the past two seasons and not putting in a consistent effort like he used to in his peak Miami years. Has he been doing it all season or just towards the end of the regular season?

100%duncan
04-21-2016, 12:11 AM
There's no question tbh. Landing LMA AND West should have automatically locked it.

SpursFan86
04-21-2016, 12:56 AM
I thought I read earlier this season that he's been loafing around on that end of the court the past two seasons and not putting in a consistent effort like he used to in his peak Miami years. Has he been doing it all season or just towards the end of the regular season?

I mean he's still not the defender he was in 2013 (he was borderline DPOTY-caliber at his peak in Miami), but he's definitely been more consistent on that end this season compared to his last year in Miami + first year in Cleveland. He still takes the occasional play off, but overall he's been very solid defensively this year from what I've seen (and the numbers back it up as well). His opponents FG% was -7.4% compared to their average, and he was 2nd among SFs in DRPM behind only Kawhi. I'm not saying he's as good as Kawhi defensively, obviously, just that I'd certainly consider him a 2-way player with the way he's defended this year...and with that being said, I consider LeBron the best "2-way player" in the league right now.

apalisoc_9
04-21-2016, 01:02 AM
Looks like osehy won the award over Buford. Most likely going to be announced just before Game 3 of Portland and LA.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2016, 05:10 PM

James is monster on offense, and you're correct that he CAN play defense, but Lebron's in the top 20 in one defensive category. I think if someone were going to make a case, Paul George might be a better starting place than Lebron James.

Raven
04-21-2016, 07:02 PM
:lmao

offset formation
04-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Matt Bonner and Kyle Anderson are still on the roster :td

Kyle Anderson may be the fourth best Spur next season. People that overlook him do so at their own embarrassment, iyam.

VBM
04-22-2016, 04:56 AM
I just thought it was shitty to get rid of Butler instead of Bonner.

Don't tell Jeff McDonald that http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/francis.png

Obstructed_View
04-22-2016, 07:03 PM
Don't tell Jeff McDonald that http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/francis.png

Whatever opinion Jeff Mcdonald has, I'm sure he lifted it from someone on Spurstalk or adopted it to keep Pop from freezing him out.