PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - Spurs learning lessons against Memphis that could help in future

cariocaz
04-20-2016, 07:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/783/spurs-learning-lessons-against-memphis-that-could-help-in-future

hater
04-20-2016, 07:49 AM
The only lesson to take away is Eliancito will go Kermit Washington on our ass if we keep playing half assed as the past 2 games.

Embarrassing outings IMO

TrainOfThought5
04-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Who is eliancito and kermit washington?

SAGirl
04-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Pop's comments. Even though we won, we turned it over too mych: 19 times.
Against GSW that is murder and blowout territory in all likelihood.

DPG21920
04-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Pop's comments. Even though we won, we turned it over too mych: 19 times.
Against GSW that is murder and blowout territory in all likelihood.

He's right. Spurs did 2 of the 3 things I mentioned in order to still blow them out (shoot well, shoot well from 3) but the TOs were bad & MEM only chance is if they create TOs (and the Spurs don't shoot well).

However, many of us & Pop are looking beyond. This is a series SA can't lose so it's about what we see for the future. I know many feel there is nothing to evaluate in this series since it's so lopsided. Maybe that's true. I don't know.

SpursforSix
04-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Who is eliancito and kermit washington?

Kermit Washington is the dude that blindsided Rudy T with a devastating sucker punch back when they were both playing.

SpursforSix
04-20-2016, 12:13 PM
after further review...I guess it wasn't much of a blindside

BI8nVJLHDMo

SAGirl
04-20-2016, 12:30 PM
He's right. Spurs did 2 of the 3 things I mentioned in order to still blow them out (shoot well, shoot well from 3) but the TOs were bad & MEM only chance is if they create TOs (and the Spurs don't shoot well).

However, many of us & Pop are looking beyond. This is a series SA can't lose so it's about what we see for the future. I know many feel there is nothing to evaluate in this series since it's so lopsided. Maybe that's true. I don't know.
There are a few good things. Guys shooting 3s mostly, but I don't put much stock on that bc 3 pt shooting is fickle and both Patty and Martin have had their own cold shooting nights recently so they were overdue to hit shots. I will be more excited when they continue to hit them in the next round and beyond.

The TO will kill us against quick transition teams like OKC and GSW and many of them came from post ups. Timmy specially didn't look good, he got stripped multiple times out of post ups, although he only appears credited with 2 TO bc in some cases we were able to recover the loose ball just had less time to come up with a play, or he passed to someone else who got the ball knocked out of his hands and that guy was credited with the TO (Diaw once at least, but Timmy should not have passed to Dias when he was right underneath the basket. Martin with the 4 TO not a good sign but once he was grabbed from behind but didn't get the foul called, once he stepped out of bounds.

D west didn't grab a single rebound until garbage time in the 4th. Manu had a few of his very risky passes. Patty was great shooting but had trouble making passes in the paint or to post players. Tony got stripped dribbling into the defense, etc.

Pop is not impressed with the team bc they haven't exactly executed well offensively. Memphis is not going to present much of a challenge bc our defense is stout and they don't have the firepower to make runs. But we still have too many mistakes to feel satisfied.

hater
04-20-2016, 12:40 PM
after further review...I guess it wasn't much of a blindside

BI8nVJLHDMo

:lol I actually thought the same as u tbh. But watching it closely poor Rudy walked into it. Did he really expect to fight Kermit?

Damn that niga Kermit put 2 players in a coma and he wasn't even that mad :lmao

Eliancito will most likely go Kermit Washington on our ass IMO

SpursforSix
04-20-2016, 01:02 PM
:lol I actually thought the same as u tbh. But watching it closely poor Rudy walked into it. Did he really expect to fight Kermit?

Not sure what Rudy was thinking. Probably thinking he'd grab someone or do some pushing and shoving. Kermit treated him for real.
I guess a black dude growing up with the name, "Kermit"...probably learned how to take care of himself pretty well.

Proxy
04-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Good thing we're playing Memphis first, or else the team never would've realized that turnovers were a bad thing

hater
04-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Not sure what Rudy was thinking. Probably thinking he'd grab someone or do some pushing and shoving. Kermit treated him for real.
I guess a black dude growing up with the name, "Kermit"...probably learned how to take care of himself pretty well.

Back then Kermit probably had a childhood like John Coffey from the Green Mile. I guess he let his inner kunta kente come out on the basketball court that day

NameLess Scrub
04-20-2016, 01:37 PM
There are a few good things. Guys shooting 3s mostly, but I don't put much stock on that bc 3 pt shooting is fickle and both Patty and Martin have had their own cold shooting nights recently so they were overdue to hit shots. I will be more excited when they continue to hit them in the next round and beyond.

The TO will kill us against quick transition teams like OKC and GSW and many of them came from post ups. Timmy specially didn't look good, he got stripped multiple times out of post ups, although he only appears credited with 2 TO bc in some cases we were able to recover the loose ball just had less time to come up with a play, or he passed to someone else who got the ball knocked out of his hands and that guy was credited with the TO (Diaw once at least, but Timmy should not have passed to Dias when he was right underneath the basket. Martin with the 4 TO not a good sign but once he was grabbed from behind but didn't get the foul called, once he stepped out of bounds.

D west didn't grab a single rebound until garbage time in the 4th. Manu had a few of his very risky passes. Patty was great shooting but had trouble making passes in the paint or to post players. Tony got stripped dribbling into the defense, etc.

Pop is not impressed with the team bc they haven't exactly executed well offensively. Memphis is not going to present much of a challenge bc our defense is stout and they don't have the firepower to make runs. But we still have too many mistakes to feel satisfied.

That stripping thing is worrying me. Have they really declined so much?
Timmy specially, he used to execute, make or miss the shot. Now he's just stripped by any NameLess Scrub.

CosmicCowboy
04-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Another huge issue is they just aren't setting many pics anymore so more shots/passes are contested.

GSH
04-20-2016, 04:17 PM
LOL... that's not how the comments from Pop went. He did everything but call the guy a dumbshit on national TV. The guy asked him to elaborate about the turnovers, and Pop got that look on his face and said, "It's a fact, they turned the ball over." Like - you can't elaborate on a statement of fact. It got so bad that nobody would ask Pop any more questions. I'm guessing that the reporter who asked him that was the one who wrote this article.

I don't think that Pop and the Spurs are learning anything from this series with the Griz that they didn't learn in the first 82 games.

Nathan89
04-20-2016, 06:24 PM

Doesn't look like he was planning on fighting anyone. Kermit got in the way Rudy put on the breaks and tried to block with open hands.