PDA

View Full Version : ebay shipping

kris
09-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I've been buying a lot of low dollar items on ebay and it seems the sellers are making their money on shipping and not the item. Has this been the case for anyone else?

Vashner
09-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Don't buy if the shipping is too high...

MannyIsGod
09-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Thats how they do it. I usually only buy from people who sell with the actual shipping costs. I hate how people use that as a method of making money. I had one guy charge me six dollars to email me one of the pairs of tickets I got to the playoffs last year. I still got the tickets at about a 3rd of face, so it worked out, but I still think it is bullshit.

Spam
09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah. You have to watch the shipping costs closely.

Shelly
09-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Yes. My sister sells a lot of stuff on Ebay. The winning bid is like $2.00 and she charges $9:50 for shipping. She's had some negative comments on the shipping, but most people are willing to pay it.

kris
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I usually do, but 2 people might have got me. I bid 99 cents on a starting lineup doll of Sean Elliott and the shipping was a calculator. Well, as it is getting closer to the end time, I go calculate the shipping and it was $6.95. That's pretty extreme for that type of item. Also, I won a football card for .99 and the shipping was marked as $3.00, but then I go to pay details because he requires a check and the shipping somehow jumped to $3.50. 50 cents isn't a big deal to me, but I feel like I'm getting ripped off so I emailed the support center. I mean really, how much does it take to ship a football card? I think the guy is probably just mad I got a Lamont Jordan jersey card for less than a dollar.

Phil E.Buster
09-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes. My sister sells a lot of stuff on Ebay. The winning bid is like $2.00 and she charges $9:50 for shipping. She's had some negative comments on the shipping, but most people are willing to pay it.

:wow No wonder the negative comments.

But buyer beware!

Ginofan
09-29-2005, 04:37 PM
I feel that I'm getting overcharged on shipping too sometimes. But then I take into consideration if they have to buy a box or a bubble envelope to ship my stuff in. I think it all just depends on the seller, if you feel it's a fishy auction, don't bid unless you are really desperate for the item or if you just don't care about costs.

PM5K
09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
I don't care for sellers that practice overcharging for shipping, not only are they ripping you off and being dishonest but they are also ripping off eBay of selling fees by making their money off shipping charges which are not used to calculate fees....

ducks
09-29-2005, 06:51 PM
sellers are smarter to charge more for shipping then actually cost
also if they did not charge as much for shipping the item would be more money
if you do not want want to pay the pice why bid on the item from that seller

how is the seller ripping off ebay charging more for shipping then actually shipping cost?
it takes time to go to the post office or ups to ship the package? is the sellers time worth nothing?

PM5K
09-29-2005, 07:18 PM
sellers are smarter to charge more for shipping then actually cost
also if they did not charge as much for shipping the item would be more money
if you do not want want to pay the pice why bid on the item from that seller

how is the seller ripping off ebay charging more for shipping then actually shipping cost?
it takes time to go to the post office or ups to ship the package? is the sellers time worth nothing?

No there time isn't work anything. You make profit on the item, not on shipping.

When you overcharge for shipping you rip off eBay because they only make money on the cost of the actual item, these people do this purposely.

Also keep in mind many sellers, especially power sellers and the like ship these items from their house, and never even have to leave to get packages out....

ducks
09-29-2005, 07:26 PM
you do realize that ebay raised their rates alot this past year right?
I am not a powerseller or a seller on ebay but shipping is going up because of gas prices

ebay is not like they are going broke off of people ripping them off because they "over charge for shipping" they bought paypal and raised rates

some sellers offer free shipping so it sort of balances out they ones that overcharge for shipping

ducks
09-29-2005, 07:29 PM
how much can a person make on a item that is sold for 99cents?
they have to make a little on the shipping or they will not sell anything on ebay

MannyIsGod
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Ducks,

It is a personal preference to decide what kind of people you want to deal with and what practices of theirs you find acceptable. I personally do not like the shipping charges, so I will usually pass up an auction when I know the shipping costs are inflated. I just don't like to deal with people who deal in that manner.

Also, it has nothing to do with gas prices. This has been around since day one. It is a way of giving an impression of a lower price for an item. You are right about one thing, it does keep the price of the item lower on a general basis.

Marklar MM
09-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Buying multiple items from the same seller usually results in lower shipping rates. :)

Clandestino
09-29-2005, 07:57 PM
the shipping is called a shipping/handling.. it costs money to buy the package to wrap it in, plus to actually go to the post office takes time/money... and also, the person is gouged by ebay with fees for listing, then for the actual selling price and then paypal takes a big bite too.

if you don't like the shipping buy from someone else or better yet, buy the item at full price and actually have to drive to the store or wherever.

ebay has only raised its fees...they haven't lowered any.. there are tons of power sellers who are pissed bc ebay gouges everyone.

remember.. no one forces you to buy via ebay

ducks
09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
ubid.com
shipping was or still is $1 a pound

SpursWoman
09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
The last couple of things I sold on ebay, I only charged for the packing supplies and the actual postage cost.

And yes, I've bought something for $.01 and paid $9.95 shipping. :lol

SpursWoman
09-29-2005, 08:04 PM
ubid.com
shipping was or still is $1 a pound

Regular priority mail was more than that....I sent a small box that was 13oz total and it was like $7.00.

Marklar MM
09-29-2005, 08:04 PM
And yes, I've bought something for $.01 and paid $9.95 shipping. :lol

LOL :blah

Marklar MM
09-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Fedex rules

MannyIsGod
09-29-2005, 08:11 PM
I personally don't think 9.95 is usually out of line for shipping. I'm talking more along the lines of something aroud 30 dollars for something that is obviously shipping out for less. The prices Kris gave above seem pretty much on the money for me as well.

Clandestino
09-29-2005, 08:13 PM
i bought a faucet for 50 bux(lowes prices were 200) and 20bux shipping.. i asked the dude if he would sell me 2 for 50... then i paid 50 for "item" and $70 for shipping! good stuff on ebay!

SpursWoman
09-29-2005, 08:24 PM
I personally don't think 9.95 is usually out of line for shipping. I'm talking more along the lines of something aroud 30 dollars for something that is obviously shipping out for less. The prices Kris gave above seem pretty much on the money for me as well.

Actually, it wasn't at all ... that $.01 item was big & heavy. I've inadvertantly paid outrageous prices for shipping when I wasn't really paying attention to it.

That's the first thing I look at now to see if it's even worth it. :)

It cost me $80 shipping for those DDR mats...but those damn things were big & heavy and had to be sent by truck. :wow :lol

exstatic
09-29-2005, 09:47 PM
I've inadvertantly paid outrageous prices for shipping when I wasn't really paying attention to it.

That's the first thing I look at now to see if it's even worth it.
Everyone learns that lesson on eBay eventually.

I also think that folks try to make money via shipping because eBay doesn't get a cut of THAT.

Marklar MM
09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
It cost me $80 shipping for those DDR mats...but those damn things were big & heavy and had to be sent by truck. :wow :lol

AWW. You got the metal dance pads. :( . I got those plastic ones. :) I got the wrong DDR though. Only like 1 song on it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-29-2005, 09:59 PM
This isn't about shipping, although it could be since I was charged $9.00 to ship, but anyway...

I have had (still ongoing) one bad experience with a seller and it's pissing me off to no end.

I won an auction for $31.00 with $9.00 shipping. That's fine. His auction specifically said you could pay via PayPal but that insurance was required.

For four days following the auction, I e-mailed him to ask how much insurance was so that I could pay him - and it wasn't like he wasn't working, he had sold other items and recieved feedback every day I e-mailed him. All the e-mails I sent wer epolite simply saying that I wanted a final price so that I could pay.

Finally, on the fifth day, I get an e-mail which only states this..."Try reading our emails." Nothing else. This was the first e-mail I had recieved from this seller whatsoever.

So I e-mail back stating that I hadn't recieved any other e-mails, but asking if he could finalize a price for me.

This is what I get back.

"We have sent all info"

Nothing else.

Now, as some of you know, I can get a little miffed when buttons are pushed.

But yet, I still don't. This is what I sent back. I don't think this was rude at all.

"Fine, I really don't want to be a jerk, but why don't you humor me?

I want to pay via PayPal (as stated in the auction as acceptable). The purchase price is $31.00, shipping via USPS Priority Mail is $9.00. The auction info stated that insurance would be required when paying via PayPal.

Please begin to accept payment ($40.00 + insurance) via PayPal or we can mutually agree to abandon the sale. "

So I just decide to send the price + shipping via PayPal (since his PayPal wasn't accepting payments for the week prior) and I get it denied...because he finally tells me via the PayPal message center that insurance was $2.00.

Two fucking dollars. This auction ended on the 16th and I was ready to pay at that time, but no, he just couldn't actually tell me that is was two fucking dollars.

So I have to wait about three days for the PayPal refund to be processed and I try sending it again. Denied because my address wasn't a confirmed address when his auction had nothing of the sorts listed. I change addresses again and have sent (what I hope) is the final time.

I don't even know what kind of feedback to leave since I'm sure I'll get the same style feedback in return even though I think I've been more than cordial considering what has gone on.

Any thoughts?

Ginofan
09-29-2005, 10:06 PM
"I want my two dollars!!!" :lol

Seriously JB, you've got more patience than I ever would have had. I would have said screw it after not getting a response after the second email...and tried to report him or something for being a non-responsive seller (can you do that? haha).

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-29-2005, 10:16 PM
"I want my two dollars!!!" :lol

Seriously JB, you've got more patience than I ever would have had. I would have said screw it after not getting a response after the second email...and tried to report him or something for being a non-responsive seller (can you do that? haha).

Here's what I mean about the feedback.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=mootown&item=5241006629&iid=5241006629&frm=1883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:SID

Should I find it wary that the other guy to complain recently ALSO won a Mariners jersey (like I did)??

Clandestino
09-29-2005, 10:19 PM
did you see the one guy who didn't get his shit, but gave a positive??? wtf is up with that?

Clandestino
09-29-2005, 10:22 PM
plus, that dude has like 6 negatives in the past 6 months.. all with same probs as you..

Ginofan
09-29-2005, 10:22 PM
I usually check the feedback before I bid on something, but that's just me. If they've had recent negative feedback then I usually avoid the auction....so yeah I'd be kind of leary if I were you.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't get it. What the hell did I do wrong? What'd I do to deserve such shitty service?

I bid on an item and tried to pay as soon as the auction was over. WTF!

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Apparently, he must have been reading the political forum and not agreeing with my thoughts.

Mr. Robert W. Schenier of High Noon Sports is apparently a NRA Life Member and has recieved (I guess it's coveted) NRA's Legion of Honor award.

So I might have pissed off a gun nut who knows where I live.

I think I'm going to move my laptop away from the window.

KewlKat00
09-29-2005, 10:47 PM
I usually check the feedback before I bid on something, but that's just me. If they've had recent negative feedback then I usually avoid the auction....so yeah I'd be kind of leary if I were you.

me too... now.

i bought some dvds recently. they were dvds of andy richter controls the universe (a tv show that was cancelled). it was a "buy it now" auction. after i paid for the auction thru paypal i contacted the seller... turns out he didn't have the dvds. some excuse about waiting on his new computer. okay fine, but don't have an auction (especially one that requires immediate payment) if you don't have the item. i think i got it almost a month later.

turns out he had a few of those comments in the last 6 months.

KewlKat00
09-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Apparently, he must have been reading the political forum and not agreeing with my thoughts.

Mr. Robert W. Schenier of High Noon Sports is apparently a NRA Life Member and has recieved (I guess it's coveted) NRA's Legion of Honor award.

So I might have pissed off a gun nut who knows where I live.

I think I'm going to move my laptop away from the window.

sorry, i can't help but laugh at that. maybe you shouldn't leave negative feedback. make it neutral with an explanation.

MannyIsGod
09-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Thats a bitch JB. I'd wait for him to leave you feedback then leave him some. Or you can chance the negative. I would probably leave neutral with an explanation. Other people deserve to know how much of a fuck he is.

SpursWoman
09-30-2005, 06:05 AM
That sucks Joe....it sounds like I've been very, very lucky then. I've bought literally TONS of stuff off ebay and have never had a problem.

AWW. You got the metal dance pads. . I got those plastic ones. I got the wrong DDR though. Only like 1 song on it.

Yes....and I've got all 8 or 9 games that have come out, all off of ebay. :lol

ZStomp
09-30-2005, 06:38 AM
Everything I have ever bought on EBAY I've had to pay those S&H- but the items I got have still been cheaper than many other places including the S&H.

ducks
09-30-2005, 09:18 AM
33 lbs on a tower for ubid $51.38 to get to yuma standard

for those that do not know ubid is warehouse that usually just sells refurmised stuff for the mananufacters

mouse
09-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Back in my eBay days 1995-2000 I was really into toy collecting and sports cards, I had 125 positive feedbacks, and then I bided on a Barry Bonds rookie and I won it for 1.00. I felt sorry for the guy and told him he can keep the card, he left me a neg feedback,