PDA

View Full Version : Who has a bigger upside? JaMycal Green or Jonathon Simmons?

cariocaz
04-21-2016, 05:49 AM
How do these two players compare? Who is better now? Which one has more potential?

Chinook
04-21-2016, 06:12 AM
Green.

benefactor
04-21-2016, 06:38 AM
Green.
Easily

cutewizard
04-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Simooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnssssssssssss sss

NameLess Scrub
04-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Both are legit scrubs with great upside for a career in the NBADL or China.

MultiTroll
04-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Sample size too small for me.
Want to see Simmons progression in stroking treys.

Keepin' it real
04-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Malik Hairston or James Gist?

wildbill2u
04-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Hard to say. Simmons may have bigger upside possibility. But in the end, between two equal players, size usually has a longer career than athleticism.

SPURt
04-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Green is a year younger and bigger. Though this year with Tim/West/Bobo/LMA/Boban I think Green would've contributed less than Simmons. Conversely, I think Simmons could've contributed positively to the crippled up Grizzlies. Simmons combination of athleticism and ability to draw fouls are pretty rare for a guy that gets so little burn.

SAGirl
04-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Hmmmm interesting. Nice new thread topic since things were stale. :tu

Hard to say bc I like Simmons personally, but looking at their career paths it's probably Green.

He was truly dominant b4 getting an NBA contract. He had a PER of about 27 in his last dleague season, had been player of the month, and was poised for an MVP season when he got in the NBA. He very clearly stood out and his team was winning. He was an NBA rookie at 24 yrs old too, with youth still on his side to adapt to the NBA before his prime/best years.

Simmons OTOH is only a year older, but in comparison was a 26 yr old rookie, and he never achieved that dominant state in the dleague due to very shaky ballhandling for a guard. He wasn't even the clear cut 3rd or so best player in his dleague team last season and he got in the NBA with many things to work on still, mainly ballhandling, defense and a willingness to take the open 3. But, he's very athletic in a team that lacks that so he could flourish nicely for us next season, or his bad ballhandling skills will surface again with more playing time and he will flounder.

It's hard to say. Right now the better player is Green. In the future, I hope it is Simmons bc he's in our team.

DJR210
04-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Malik Hairston or James Gist?

:lmao

Javtokas or Felipe Lopez?

bic50
04-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Jamycal Simmons

Kikoluna
04-21-2016, 04:42 PM
What's funny is how we let green go and kept Kyle 12 minute mile Anderson

Raven
04-21-2016, 05:09 PM
easily simmons.

cd021
04-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Curious to see how Simmons looks with a consistent 3 ball. If he can hit around 36% from 3 it can make him a more well rounded offensive threat. If a team leaves him open he can make them pay, or he can attack the closeout and drive to the basket and finish or draw fouls.

gospursgojas
04-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Green

lilbthebasedgod
04-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Green and its not even close

tholdren
04-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Green and its not even close
lol

exstatic
04-22-2016, 07:04 AM
Curious to see how Simmons looks with a consistent 3 ball. If he can hit around 36% from 3 it can make him a more well rounded offensive threat. If a team leaves him open he can make them pay, or he can attack the closeout and drive to the basket and finish or draw fouls.

Simmons hit 38% from long this year.

I think some of you fail to understand what "upside" means. JG pretty much is what he's ever going to be. JS, on the other hand, has a chance to be starter material in the NBA if he can clean up his handles a bit. He gets to the cup easily, and you can't really teach that.

Chinook
04-22-2016, 07:33 AM

I think some of you fail to understand what "upside" means. JG pretty much is what he's ever going to be. JS, on the other hand, has a chance to be starter material in the NBA if he can clean up his handles a bit. He gets to the cup easily, and you can't really teach that.

It's not that hard to understand. Simmons isn't on track to be a starter. Sure, if he becomes a significantly better player, he'll be significantly better. But the same is true for everyone. The dude still really doesn't know how to dribble and can't defend a lick. Sure he shows flashes of competence, but so do most d-league call-ups.

Green can certainly become a better three-point shooter and continue to build off his increased defensive effort and rebounding. He's in a situation where he has to do too much now, and that's killing his efficiency. Simmons on the other hand hasn't had to do that, so his limitations aren't being as exposed.

ceperez
04-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Hmmmm interesting. Nice new thread topic since things were stale. :tu

Hard to say bc I like Simmons personally, but looking at their career paths it's probably Green.

He was truly dominant b4 getting an NBA contract. He had a PER of about 27 in his last dleague season, had been player of the month, and was poised for an MVP season when he got in the NBA. He very clearly stood out and his team was winning. He was an NBA rookie at 24 yrs old too, with youth still on his side to adapt to the NBA before his prime/best years.

Simmons OTOH is only a year older, but in comparison was a 26 yr old rookie, and he never achieved that dominant state in the dleague due to very shaky ballhandling for a guard. He wasn't even the clear cut 3rd or so best player in his dleague team last season and he got in the NBA with many things to work on still, mainly ballhandling, defense and a willingness to take the open 3. But, he's very athletic in a team that lacks that so he could flourish nicely for us next season, or his bad ballhandling skills will surface again with more playing time and he will flounder.

It's hard to say. Right now the better player is Green. In the future, I hope it is Simmons bc he's in our team.

Likely true. PATFO evaluated the two players the previous season and picked up Green over Simmons. Both played for the Austin Spurs so PATFO had equal amount of information about their capabilities in games as well as in practice. Also, as others have pointed out, you cant teach size and being younger has its advantages.

Too bad, Green was a loss because Spurs couldn't risk a commitment. He would have been a good backup to Leonard.

I'm a big Simmons fan, but honestly Green has a higher upside. However, because Simmons plays for the Spurs, he could actually end up much better than Green. There is an extreme advantage being a Spurs player that transcends pure talent.

cd021
04-22-2016, 12:20 PM

I think of him as being a low volume-high percentage 3pt shooter, similar to Parker and Slo-mo, in fact his 3pt rate is the 4th worst on the team (among players that actually shoot them. Only 19% of his FGs come from beyond the mark, that is remarkable low for a shooting guard on the second best 3pt shooting team in the NBA.

Per 36 minutes, his rate is only 2.1 3ptA to 11 FGA. Assuming he becomes a rotation player in the future, I think he needs to take a higher volume of 3's and hit them at least 36%, same for Anderson.

phxspurfan
04-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Green. Talented big men are harder to find.

gambit1990
04-22-2016, 12:52 PM
simmons.

silverblackfan
04-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Simmons simply for being a Spur and being developed with good habits. Great athlete, can attack the basket and play defense. Learning curve looks fine for his bench location.

Both guys seem like good Spurs material, but I have to like the current Spur player. :flag:
Green has a lot of great ability and size. It is nice to see him develop his game. Shame we could not hold on to his rights.

100%duncan
04-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Green is a tweener. Too slow for sfs too small for pfs.

Simmons, if he develops a constant shot and defense is better. Idk why "it's not even close" :lol Green types of players usually dont succeed long-term

brucebowensghost
04-22-2016, 06:39 PM
off topic, even though danny green isnt going any where, caldwell pope seems like a better compliment to leanard..seems more gritty..not hesitant...only based comment off of cavs series though..:downspin: