PDA

View Full Version : The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana

FuzzyLumpkins
04-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Marijuana was placed in Schedule I in 1971 provisionally, until the science could be assessed. But Pres. Richard Nixon saw pot prohibition as a way to destroy the antiwar left, according to clandestine recordings made by Nixon in the White House as well as statements from his staff to the press. Nixon convened The National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse (what became known as the Shafer Commission) to engineer scientific support for cannabis’s Schedule I placement. “I want a goddamn strong statement on marijuana,” Nixon said in tapes from 1971. “Can I get that out of this sonofabitching, uh, domestic council? … I mean one on marijuana that just tears the ass out of them.”

The Shafer Commission found in 1972 that cannabis was as safe as alcohol, and recommended ending prohibition in favor of a public health approach. But by then the Federal Bureau of Narcotics had been removed from the Treasury Department and merged into the U.S. Department of Justice—where Nixon’s ally, Attorney General John Mitchell, placed cannabis in Schedule I in 1972; that same year he resigned to head Nixon’s re-election committee. (He later stood trial in 1974 over the Watergate scandal and served 19 months of a prison sentence for conspiracy, perjury and obstruction of justice.] “You want to know what this was really all about?” Nixon aid John Ehrlichman told journalist Dan Baum in 1994, according to an article published in Harper’s Magazine in 2016. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”
Anyone

Anyone can petition the DEA to reschedule any drug, Baer says. The DEA takes advice from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Department of Health and Human Services, the DEA’s administrative law judges, along with others, but “the buck stops here. We have final scheduling authority,” he says. “Really it comes down to science. That’s the foundation of the argument. We’re bound by that scientific and medical evaluation.”

Many would disagree. Decades ago the DEA’s own administrative law judge, Francis Young, recommended unscheduling cannabis in response to a petition from activist groups. Young ruled in 1988 that “marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care.” The DEA denied the petition anyway.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-science-behind-the-dea-s-long-war-on-marijuana/

Puts the current GOP's stance on voter ID into interesting context.

boutons_deux
04-21-2016, 08:50 PM
" Attorney General John Mitchell, placed cannabis in Schedule I in 1972"

If AG Mitchell can put mj at Schedule I, then an AG can remove it.

One of my huge disappointments with Obama has been his refusal to reschedule mj or even remove it completely as a controlled substance.

baseline bum
04-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Ridiculous to have weed Schedule I, especially when fucking meth, cocaine, oxycodone are Schedule II.

boutons_deux
04-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Ridiculous to have weed Schedule I, especially when fucking meth, cocaine, oxycodone are Schedule II.

Nearly all ridiculous shit in America is paid for, maintained by people making $Bs from the ridiculousness.

Shastafarian
04-22-2016, 08:03 PM

It's not even the comparison that is the problem. Schedule 1 drugs have "no accepted medical use..." among being labeled as dependence-forming, etc. Drugs that are in schedule 1 are even difficult to get research funded for because they've been labeled as such. It's one of the biggest pharmaceutical hatchet jobs in recent memory.