PDA

View Full Version : Hubie Brown

Wildcat67
04-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Never seen an announcer so blatantly routing for one team in a nationally televised game.

PopTheGOAT
04-22-2016, 11:19 PM
He's stated in the past that he likes underdogs. Luckily I was able to watch FSSW

bigfan
04-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Hubie is still one of the best in the business.

AFBlue
04-22-2016, 11:21 PM
I think Memphis was easy to root for in this game. They played with a lot of hustle and heart. They're a very likable squad.

TheGreatYacht
04-22-2016, 11:23 PM
Hubie is the best color commentator there is, ESPN and TNT

mudyez
04-22-2016, 11:24 PM
Never seen an announcer so often fuck up names and situations (LMA/Duncan, Fouls/Goaltending).

And some germany announcer once called Lindsey Hunter --> Cedric Hunter for a whole game (like 10 times) while another was telling people, the Spurs are two time NBA Champions (back in 2001).

cd98
04-22-2016, 11:25 PM
He used to coach Memphis. But most analysts speak in terms of what the underdog or losing team needs to do. He said nice things about the Spurs. And he teaches the game. I loved his bit about if you are going to foul, don't let the player get the ball above his number.

100%duncan
04-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Sucks

TrainOfThought5
04-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Well yeah. He coached em, lol.
The best commentator in the biz though.

TheGreatYacht
04-22-2016, 11:30 PM
http://youtu.be/9JttE4UT74k

Guy is a basketball genius. Way smarter than the usual shitty retired player they stick on commentary.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2016, 11:33 PM
You guys are morons. He wasn't rooting for the Grizzlies, even though he used to coach them. There was no bias to the broadcast.

That said, he's a fucking idiot. He just says he likes what he sees when someone does something right and he gets calls wrong about 90 percent of the time.

Uriel
04-22-2016, 11:35 PM
Hubie Brown is one of my favorite color commentators. He's not only very knowledgeable, he gives a grandfatherly vibe that makes you feel like you're learning basketball from a man who's seen and done it all.

z0sa
04-22-2016, 11:35 PM
Hubie is one of the best commentators of all time

100%duncan
04-22-2016, 11:36 PM
You guys are morons. He wasn't rooting for the Grizzlies, even though he used to coach them. There was no bias to the broadcast.

That said, he's a fucking idiot. He just says he likes what he sees when someone does something right and he gets calls wrong about 90 percent of the time.

tbh :lol

SouthernFried
04-22-2016, 11:37 PM
Sean is the best commentator of all time.

ColinB
04-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Now, you see...

Obstructed_View
04-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Sean is the best commentator of all time.

I've heard people say what a homer he is, and I think they're either trolling or they don't know what a homer is. He's as good as anyone doing color as I've ever heard.

TheGreatYacht
04-22-2016, 11:43 PM
I've heard people say what a homer he is, and I think they're either trolling or they don't know what a homer is. He's as good as anyone doing color as I've ever heard.
A Rockets commentator was the only person that left Kawhi off his DPOY ballot... He had Draymond, Davis, and Ariza :lol

Those faggots are the definition of homers

Obstructed_View
04-22-2016, 11:47 PM
He claimed it was a mistake.

baseline bum
04-22-2016, 11:51 PM

Sean was a really bad homer his first couple of years, but he's solid as hell now.

bobby4germany
04-22-2016, 11:54 PM
He is really good but it was very annoying hearing him call Aldridge "Duncan" all night! :lol

Keepin' it real
04-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Never seen an announcer so blatantly routing for one team in a nationally televised game.

Well then congrats on watching your first nationally televised game.

cd98
04-23-2016, 12:36 AM
Sean was a really bad homer his first couple of years, but he's solid as hell now.

He started getting a reputation as a homer nationally, and to his credit, he changed to be a little more even those he still wears Spurs goggles.

lefty20
04-23-2016, 12:51 AM
Hubie is way past his prime. Dude is pure vanilla, goes out of his way to avoid calling anyone out(refs, players & coaches). JVG has a tendency to go on rants but at least he calls it as he sees it. Hubie's balls have withered away, tbh.

04-23-2016, 12:59 AM
It's like he says what I see

TXstbobcat
04-23-2016, 01:04 AM
Better than listening to Reggie Miller for 3 hours.

DMC
04-23-2016, 01:26 AM
Now you see, here is a timeout I like because it says something to the players. It says we need to talk. You know coach Pop is an Academy person under Egan, part of the Naismith, Phog Allen, Dean Smith tree, and you know he's going to have his guys ready.

-21-
04-23-2016, 01:58 AM
Now, you see...

It's like he says what I see

Now you see, here is a timeout I like because it says something to the players. It says we need to talk. You know coach Pop is an Academy person under Egan, part of the Naismith, Phog Allen, Dean Smith tree, and you know he's going to have his guys ready.

These guys get it. :lol

04-23-2016, 02:37 AM

:rollin

Spurs 4 The Win
04-23-2016, 02:39 AM

I read that with his voice in my head :lol

KenziE
04-23-2016, 04:30 AM
He claimed it was a mistake.
claimed what is a mistake ?

Hubie Brown is one of my favorite color commentators. He's not only very knowledgeable, he gives a grandfatherly vibe that makes you feel like you're learning basketball from a man who's seen and done it all.

Not my fave but 100% spot on description of mr Brown

SouthernFried
04-23-2016, 04:39 AM
Of course Sean is homer...he's a former Spur and now a Spurs commentator.

That doesn't mean he ain't one of the best commentators around. He is.

will_spurs
04-23-2016, 06:28 AM
I was going to comment I'd take this duo of commentators over any other, especially Jeff "that rule needs to change" Van Gundy, Mark "hands down, man down" Jackson or Reggie "that's what they need to do" Miller.

I didn't think Brown was a homer (he mentionned several times some calls that went for Memphis when they shouldn't have, like the foul called on Parker in 1Q that should have been an offensive foul). Of course at the end of the game like any other commentator he's going to focus on what the team that's down needs to do to catch up, that's obvious. And I can understand he's rooting for Memphis, they showed the COY ceremony for him in 2004 when he was coaching that team.

All in all though great quality, for once we don't have guys who keep yapping about their personal lives, their personal preferences, "how it would have been in my time" (note to all former players: a) we didn't give a shit about you when you were playing b) we still don't give a shit about you c) just fucking die already). Just basketball, no-nonsense stuff focusing on the current game clear explanations by a top coach, and no takes that haven't been good in years (like finally some guys who did their homework and aren't stuck in 2013 and know that Green hasn't good from 3 this season).

look_at_g_shred
04-23-2016, 08:04 AM
And well you say, what's the big deal?

C'mon now

Love Hubie tbh

Harry Callahan
04-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Hubie is old - having relatives his age and a little older makes me a little bit sympathetic to his current situation. He is not as strong as a few years ago and a bit annoying at times in his presentation.

Still, he loves the game and was a really good coach. Plus he has ties to the old ABA, which is pretty cool in my book.

Last night he said some really nice things about the Spurs and coach pop regarding an old playoff series in 2001(?) where the Spurs beat the Pau Gasol led Grizzlies.

Seventyniner
04-23-2016, 08:29 AM
Better than listening to Reggie Miller for 3 hours.

tbdog
04-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Never seen an announcer so often fuck up names and situations (LMA/Duncan, Fouls/Goaltending).

And some germany announcer once called Lindsey Hunter --> Cedric Hunter for a whole game (like 10 times) while another was telling people, the Spurs are two time NBA Champions (back in 2001).

He is like 80. Give the guy a break.

DJR210
04-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Hubie is already dead he just hasn't layed down yet

Down Under
04-23-2016, 09:16 AM
He just regurgitates stats all the time

DMC
04-23-2016, 09:38 AM
I don't care for duos who venture off into unrelated things and just talk while the game is happening around them. I don't need play by play but I do need to know why a foul was called, how a turnover happened. When they talk through all that about things totally unrelated to the game, it's annoying as fuck. Every duo seems to want their own talk show. This aint it.

Horse
04-23-2016, 11:21 AM
He wasn't that bad last night. But like madden he points out obvious shit which is great if you've haven't watched many games.

CitizenDwayne
04-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Now ya see, what you don't like about OP is that he's an asshole.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2016, 11:44 AM
I don't care for duos who venture off into unrelated things and just talk while the game is happening around them. I don't need play by play but I do need to know why a foul was called, how a turnover happened. When they talk through all that about things totally unrelated to the game, it's annoying as fuck. Every duo seems to want their own talk show. This aint it.

In fairness, this was the first game that didn't have what Marv Albert calls "extended garbazhe time".

Obstructed_View
04-23-2016, 11:44 AM
claimed what is a mistake ?

Not voting for Kawhi.

Vic Petro
04-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Hubie is a national treasure and yes of course Sean Elliott is a homer. A lot of color guys are homers and he's one of them.

Brian Windhorst
04-23-2016, 03:21 PM
:lol Complaining about Hubie Brown, one of the GOATs, when your other options are:
:lol Reggie Miller
:lol Jon Barry
:lol Mark Jackson
:lol Doris Burke

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Hubie is bad, as I've been saying for years, tbh..he's not as bad as others, though, and I actually don't mind him overall(relatively speaking), but his senility is on display every time he's announcing a game:lol

He's the analyst version of Dick Stockton..

I don't care about the "homer" shit, though, it makes sense that the announcers would lean towards the underdog, especially a historically bad playoff team like these Grizzlies..

Also, let's be honest, Spurs fan thinks every announcer hates them:lol

Spurtacular
04-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Hubie sucks dick, tbh.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Hubie is bad, as I've been saying for years, tbh..he's not as bad as others, though, and I actually don't mind him overall(relatively speaking), but his senility is on display every time he's announcing a game:lol

He's the analyst version of Dick Stockton..

I don't care about the "homer" shit, though, it makes sense that the announcers would lean towards the underdog, especially a historically bad playoff team like these Grizzlies..

Also, let's be honest, Spurs fan thinks every announcer hates them:lol

Yeah I don't get that. You'd figure that mostly what an announcer dreads is a game that isn't close, because they have to start digging to fill up the time in an attempt to keep people from changing the channel.

Also, in what universe would sports fans NOT want a decimated team like Memphis to at least keep it close to the Spurs?

007nites
04-24-2016, 02:34 AM
:lol