PDA

View Full Version : Rude Awakening Inbound

DMC
04-23-2016, 10:32 PM
You folks who think this cake walk against Memphis is any indication of the strength of the Spurs game are in for a cold water to the face wakeup call. The Memphis series isn't like the Dallas series a couple years back. Dallas pushed us, but Memphis is worse than just practice and scrimmage. I mean, I doubt scrimmage teams beat each other by 40 fucking points. Spurs won't be ready for round 2. They'll struggle. If they get over it, they'll be more primed for a WCF matchup but Memphis is soft as fuck so just pretend it's a RS game on Sunday. (wait, most of you cliff jump and overvalue the meaning of the RS games too).

TheDoctor
04-23-2016, 10:46 PM
What a stupid thread tbqfh.

Mr. Body
04-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I'm sure everyone knows this, but maybe call Popovich to make sure he knows.

spursgu
04-23-2016, 10:55 PM
OP attention whoring.

bulakenyo
04-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Stop it.

Everybody knows MEM is really bad this POs.

Just consider this a first round bye for the Spurs.

Practically, the Spurs only really need 12 legitimate kill or be killed playoff games to win the title.

Arcadian
04-23-2016, 11:04 PM
It's possible they could struggle in G1R2, but OKC isn't very good, either. So it's a good ramp-up for GSW.

SAGirl
04-23-2016, 11:06 PM
We got this! :claw

Spurs 4 The Win
04-23-2016, 11:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dnJBOxM.jpg

BillMc
04-23-2016, 11:09 PM
We got this! :claw
:bobo:flag:

Obstructed_View
04-23-2016, 11:15 PM
This is exactly like the Mavericks series. The Spurs didn't play well until game 7 and a bad team made a series out of it. This opponent is so much worse that they were merely able to make a single game of it, but the fact remains that the Spurs aren't playing well and it's not the opponent causing the poor play. Being rested and healthy for the next round (And having DG shooting 50 percent from three point range) is far more important than being dominant.

Frankly, a sweep where Pop has something to yell at them about and the Spurs can't start admiring their own press clippings would be a good thing.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-23-2016, 11:29 PM
This is exactly like the Mavericks series. The Spurs didn't play well until game 7 and a bad team made a series out of it. This opponent is so much worse that they were merely able to make a single game of it, but the fact remains that the Spurs aren't playing well and it's not the opponent causing the poor play. Being rested and healthy for the next round (And having DG shooting 50 percent from three point range) is far more important than being dominant.

Frankly, a sweep where Pop has something to yell at them about and the Spurs can't start admiring their own press clippings would be a good thing.

Spurs in 5 vs OKC imo

spurs10
04-24-2016, 12:18 AM
:bobo:flag: 13
:flag:

GSH
04-24-2016, 12:24 AM
Scrimmage squads don't scrap and claw like the Griz have. Scrimmage squads don't have their personal pride on the line, because it's just a scrimmage. Anybody good enough to make an NBA squad is a pretty damned good basketball player (with the possible exception of Jimmer Fredette). That's why on any given night, the lesser team still has a chance of winning. If the Griz had played with this much intensity, they wouldn't have lost 14 of their last 17 games.

The Griz have controlled what they could control - their effort level. They've played scrappy, aggressive defense and "uglied up" the game as much as possible. So for stretches, they have challenged the Spurs, but they don't have the horsepower to keep that up for a whole game. The effort we've seen from Memphis for those stretches is a lot closer to what the Spurs will see in the second round than you give credit for. They aren't pacing themselves. They come out, put it all on the line until there's nothing left, and then get ground into the dirt.

People say, "Well if the Griz had all there players..." So what? If the Griz had all their players, the Spurs wouldn't have been playing them in the first round. Instead they'd be 3-0 against the Mavs, and OKC would be playing Portland. Shit happens. We're used to the Western Conference being deep down to the 8 seed. But the Griz are pretty typical of the bottom of the Eastern Conference for the last decade or more. Nobody thinks Round 2 or beyond is going to be easy because of that.

BillMc
04-24-2016, 12:34 AM
:flag:

Thirteen, ironically, is the Spurs lucky number.

BillMc
04-24-2016, 12:34 AM
Spurs in 5 vs OKC imo

Sounds about right. :toast

spurs10
04-24-2016, 12:36 AM
Thirteen, ironically, is the Spurs lucky number.:bobo

spurraider21
04-24-2016, 12:36 AM
op basically taking the field vs the spurs so he can bump this thread in a month and say "i told ya so"

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-24-2016, 01:12 AM
:depressed

DMC
04-24-2016, 01:17 AM
op basically taking the field vs the spurs so he can bump this thread in a month and say "i told ya so"

The color "wrong" suits you.

Beaverfuzz
04-24-2016, 01:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/dnJBOxM.jpg

:bobo

DMC
04-24-2016, 01:31 AM

It's not the same if the opponent is much worse. A team that takes you to 7 games and puts you in a "must win" situation tempers you and tests you. If you fail you go home. Against Memphis, there's none of that pressure. It's just to get a couple extra rest days. There's no edge. It's not the same. It is what it is, but what it isn't is a tuneup series. It's more like a formality.

SouthernFried
04-24-2016, 01:33 AM
I miss basketball threads...

VBM
04-24-2016, 01:39 AM
It's possible they could struggle in G1R2, but OKC isn't very good, either. So it's a good ramp-up for GSW.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduLxeJpjOIHb4gU/giphy.gif

Arcadian
04-24-2016, 02:01 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduLxeJpjOIHb4gU/giphy.gif

Kevin "7/33" Durant and Russell "Turnover" Westbrook lost a playoff game to Dallas at home. :lol

VBM
04-24-2016, 02:07 AM
Kevin "7/33" Durant and Russell "Turnover" Westbrook lost a playoff game to Dallas at home. :lol

Dallas took us to 7 in 2014 http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/manny.png

Regardless as to how OKC plays against other teams, they've never been a good matchup for SA. Not saying we won't beat them, but unless Parker and Green play more consistently, a series with OKC would go at least 6 games. http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/0/957c4b4fe81e85de257c46dcc5d253d9.png?t=1452293891

playbonner15
04-24-2016, 02:08 AM
Nah theres gonna be alot of i told you sos if this team loses in the 2nd rd. Fans arent used to this year's isoball coz they forgot it was a timmy iso that helped win the spurs' previous championships. so they think the offense is not enough to beat okc or gsw. but we'll see. I was happy with 5. and if the spurs can get 6 ill be just as thankful

Arcadian
04-24-2016, 02:19 AM
Dallas took us to 7 in 2014 http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/manny.png

Regardless as to how OKC plays against other teams, they've never been a good matchup for SA. Not saying we won't beat them, but unless Parker and Green play more consistently, a series with OKC would go at least 6 games. http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/0/957c4b4fe81e85de257c46dcc5d253d9.png?t=1452293891

'14 Dallas > '16 Dallas. Very different teams.

Also, '11-14 Thunder > '16 Thunder. They got worse.

The current Spurs match up better with them. They now have the league's premier defensive terror, and the best frontcourt in the NBA.

lilbthebasedgod
04-24-2016, 02:23 AM
Thanks for that OP! Wow, before this I was thinking Memphis was just like that dallas series.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-24-2016, 04:15 AM
Thanks for that OP! Wow, before this I was thinking Memphis was just like that dallas series.
:lol

VBM
04-24-2016, 07:50 AM
'14 Dallas > '16 Dallas. Very different teams.

Also, '11-14 Thunder > '16 Thunder. They got worse.

The current Spurs match up better with them. They now have the league's premier defensive terror, and the best frontcourt in the NBA.

The Spurs also only have two consistent scorers going against a squad that can score in bunches. And they may have the premier defensive wing players, but they also have awful defense at the PG position. If the version of Dion Waiters playing against Dallas now is the one that Tony/Patty/Manu/K-Mart have to guard, OKC will exploit that matchup (which will be even worse if Tony can't remember how to play consistent basketball).

This is going to be like the Clippers series last year...a series SA should have won. OKC will be good enough to hang around late in games...Spurs' execution needs to be on point...can't just count on OKC giving up games based on their regular season problems.

Spurs9
04-24-2016, 08:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfQQJs98aQ

Gagnrath
04-24-2016, 09:54 AM
The thunder are interesting... For whatever reason the team has devolved away from being a team and more into the Westbrook Durant show... I really think that loosing sefalosha and harden broke this team and no one seems willing to make Westbrook consistently play as a teammate.

dbreiden83080
04-24-2016, 10:40 AM
So basically unless the Spurs win it all, you will take a giant shit on them..

Gagnrath
04-24-2016, 11:09 AM
So basically unless the Spurs win it all, you will take a giant shit on them..

That is part of what made hating the Heat fun.... Odds are you got to be happy rooting against them...

I don't get being anti spur but.... Obviously the op is mentally handicapped so unless I start suggesting a eugenics program against defectives I suppose live and let live.

dbreiden83080
04-24-2016, 12:17 PM
That is part of what made hating the Heat fun.... Odds are you got to be happy rooting against them...

Lebron guaranteeing they would win 7 titles made that shit easy as cake. Spurs are classy, and soft spoken. They have won 5 in the Duncan era. This year is a bonus just like last year was..

ElNono
04-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Fuck that shit, we're winning it all :lobt2:

TheGreatYacht
04-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Basically, the summary of this thread is "Memphis isn't Dallas, the Spurs will struggle against OKC, then if they get past the Thunder they will then struggle against the Worriers, and if they get to the Finals they will also struggle against Cleveland"

Arcadian
04-24-2016, 12:52 PM
The Spurs also only have two consistent scorers going against a squad that can score in bunches. And they may have the premier defensive wing players, but they also have awful defense at the PG position. If the version of Dion Waiters playing against Dallas now is the one that Tony/Patty/Manu/K-Mart have to guard, OKC will exploit that matchup (which will be even worse if Tony can't remember how to play consistent basketball).

This is going to be like the Clippers series last year...a series SA should have won. OKC will be good enough to hang around late in games...Spurs' execution needs to be on point...can't just count on OKC giving up games based on their regular season problems.

Eh.....nah.

OKC is a low IQ team with poor late game execution and iso heavy gameplan. Spurs are gonna shit all over that. I'm not just basing this on regular season. If anything, their RS record is inflated due to a shitty league this year. (That also applies to the Spurs, to be fair.) They're still that same team.

VBM
04-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Eh.....nah.

OKC is a low IQ team with poor late game execution and iso heavy gameplan. Spurs are gonna shit all over that. I'm not just basing this on regular season. If anything, their RS record is inflated due to a shitty league this year. (That also applies to the Spurs, to be fair.) They're still that same team.

Hope you're right and it's Spurs in 5 http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/0/45a7c8664aef6de4da1e9ebdf26c3b87.png

DMC
05-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Well this is a bit of a rude awakening. However I do believe that the Spurs played very similar to how the Thunder played in game 1 however the Spurs were in it at the end. That's gotta be a good sign. I think the Spurs will be okay in this series unless something unexpected happens.

Uriel
05-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Thread title is prophetic, tbh.

noles1983
05-02-2016, 11:23 PM
both of these teams would get swept by golden state

DMC
05-10-2016, 09:50 PM
It's here.

DMC
05-12-2016, 11:36 PM
It's here.