PDA

View Full Version : Intel Lays Off 12,000 After Seeking Visas to Import 14,523 Foreign Professionals ...

rmt
04-25-2016, 02:40 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/04/21/intel-lays-off-12k-looking-import-11600-foreign-workers-since-2010/

Why I couldn't stand Rubio and his H1-B visas. What's Bernie's and Hillary's stance on this?

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2016, 02:48 PM
Is this an apples to apples comparison? I know that as Intels PC chip business fades and closes down they are transitioning into mobile and cloud stuff which may require a different skill set than manufacturing.

Wild Cobra
04-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Intel has insisted that it cannot find enough skilled American workers to fill its needs. From 2010 to 2015, it filed requests for up to 8,351 H-1B visas, plus 5,172 applications for permanent Green Cards for its foreign employees, according to MyVisasJobs.com. That data shows the company sought to hire 14,523 foreign professionals instead of many Americans eager to work at Intel.

After working in the Semiconductor industry for as many years as I have, I can attest to this being true.

Our whole education system is breaking down.

Wild Cobra
04-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Is this an apples to apples comparison? I know that as Intels PC chip business fades and closes down they are transitioning into mobile and cloud stuff which may require a different skill set than manufacturing.

I saw this last week about them laying off workers. Didn't see any details, but I'm assuming they are closing two or three older fabs that are not suitable for refitting. Probably in high tax areas too. It's common for them to decommission facilities when they no longer can be economically updated.

Any idea how much they pay in taxes for their one in Ireland?

Wild Cobra
04-25-2016, 02:54 PM
There’s no shortage of U.S. engineers looking for jobs at Intel.

Just a shortage of top notch graduates.

boutons_deux
04-25-2016, 02:55 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/04/21/intel-lays-off-12k-looking-import-11600-foreign-workers-since-2010/

Why I couldn't stand Rubio and his H1-B visas. What's Bernie's and Hillary's stance on this?

This isn't a problem caused by Breitbart's beloved BigGovernment whipping boy.

It's BigCorp screwing America workers in order to keep profits flowing the mgmt and capitalists.

"WinTel" continues decline, while the cloud continues to expand.

http://www.investopedia.com/stock-analysis/041515/2-big-threats-intels-most-profitable-business-armh-ibm-intc-amd-goog-googl-hpq-lnvgf-lnvgy-nvda.aspx

rmt :lol Breitbart :lol

Spurminator
04-25-2016, 03:00 PM
The Intel press release, along with every other news article, says the layoffs are global... yet the Breitbart article says they're U.S.-based.

I assume they made this edit because it fits nicely with the "but the're bringing in foreigners to take our jerbs" angle.

This is why you don't use Breitbart as a source.

These changes will result in the reduction of up to 12,000 positions globally -- approximately 11 percentof employees -- by mid-2017 through site consolidations worldwide, a combination of voluntary andinvoluntary departures, and a re-evaluation of programs. The majority of these actions will becommunicated to affected employees over the next 60 days with some actions spanning in to 2017.
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/INTC/1925003535x0x886662/6D73A0D5-A8CD-48A2-96E7-5234880B6304/Press_Release_Q1_2016_restructuring_-_FINAL.pdf

rmt
04-25-2016, 03:53 PM
Just a shortage of top notch graduates.

There might be a shortage of graduates but certainly not of older, more experienced IT people. The amount that top tech companies are paying new graduates is outrageous (check out Quora) for what they know while older workers with tons more experience won't get hired.

DarrinS
04-25-2016, 03:53 PM
Coincidentally, on this day in 1961, Robert Noyce receives patent for the integrated circuit.

Wild Cobra
04-25-2016, 11:52 PM
The Intel press release, along with every other news article, says the layoffs are global... yet the Breitbart article says they're U.S.-based.

That's why I specifically mentioned the plant in Ireland.

I assume they made this edit because it fits nicely with the "but the're bringing in foreigners to take our jerbs" angle.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/INTC/1925003535x0x886662/6D73A0D5-A8CD-48A2-96E7-5234880B6304/Press_Release_Q1_2016_restructuring_-_FINAL.pdf

Notice also, most of the layoffs will be mostly equipment operators. Not high skilled workers that the Visas are requested for. There is probably at least a 100:1 ratio between operators, techs, supervisors, etc. vs. engineers. Then my experience has been that under 20% of the engineers are foreigners.

The engineers in layoff affected areas will likely be offered jobs elsewhere, maybe even relocated at Intel's expense.

Wild Cobra
04-25-2016, 11:53 PM
There might be a shortage of graduates but certainly not of older, more experienced IT people. The amount that top tech companies are paying new graduates is outrageous (check out Quora) for what they know while older workers with tons more experience won't get hired.

Can IT people do Chemical Engineering? Can IT people do other engineering crafts that Intel uses?

rmt
04-26-2016, 12:11 AM
That's why I specifically mentioned the plant in Ireland.

Notice also, most of the layoffs will be mostly equipment operators. Not high skilled workers that the Visas are requested for. There is probably at least a 100:1 ratio between operators, techs, supervisors, etc. vs. engineers. Then my experience has been that under 20% of the engineers are foreigners.

The engineers in layoff affected areas will likely be offered jobs elsewhere, maybe even relocated at Intel's expense.

I don't see anything in the Intel release mentioning that most of the layoffs will be mostly equipment operators. Where do you see this?

rmt
04-26-2016, 12:18 AM
Can IT people do Chemical Engineering? Can IT people do other engineering crafts that Intel uses?

Why would Intel use chemical engineers? Wouldn't they use mostly electrical or computer engineers? Intel release mentions data centers which suggests computer science/IT people. And movement toward gaming/mobile suggests cs/software engineers.

boutons_deux
04-26-2016, 05:40 AM
Why would Intel use chemical engineers? Wouldn't they use mostly electrical or computer engineers? Intel release mentions data centers which suggests computer science/IT people. And movement toward gaming/mobile suggests cs/software engineers.

There's a lot of chemistry, physics, material science needed for research and billion-$ chip fabs.

data centers are manned by rack monkeys, cloud monkeys, not US engineers. Indian engineers would be thrilled to come to US just to monkey around with hardware in data centers.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2016, 11:53 AM
One of my friends at Fab D1D was working with other engineers trying to determine alternative processes for metals, oxides, ceramics, and chemicals. His engineering position came to mind. The entire process involves chemicals. They even have engineers that keep trying to find better semiconductor devices, and even optical switches on wafers.You would be surprised at how many chemical engineers they have, modifying the slurry recipes, etching baths, electrochemical plating, etc.

However, their need for engineers actually designing the chip layouts are in more of an abundant need. It takes large teams to design chips with billions of transistors. Then the testing and modifying.

Lithography using ultraviolet and shorter wavelengths need other types of engineers. I have a cousin who received his doctorate at MIT, and worked for IBM. Recently, he and another engineer started their own company.

Complain all you want about the announced 16,000 jobs, but I'll lay odds that no more than the bottom 20% of the engineers will be laid off, the 80% of the engineers will be offered relocation. Almost all those jobs will be operators, maintenance, and management. Probably no more than 200 engineers among the 16,000.

Current Intel Fab facilities according to Wiki:

D1X Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
D1D Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
D1C Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Fab 12 Chandler, Arizona, USA
Fab 32 Chandler, Arizona, USA
Fab 42 Chandler, Arizona, USA
Fab 11 Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA
Fab 11X Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA
Fab 17 Hudson, Massachusetts, USA
Fab 24 Leixlip, Ireland
Fab 28 Kiryat Gat, Israel
Fab 68 Dalian, Liaoning, China

I've been inside two of them, and several fabs that Intel has closed that are not on the Wiki list like fab 4, fab 6, D1, D1B, and numbers I don't remember.

Assembly facilities:

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Kulim, Malaysia
Penang, Malaysia
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Jerusalem, Israel

My prediction is Fab 12 and Fab 68 will be the ones closing. I say this, because they are limited to 65 nm technology without upgrading their equipment. Maybe an assembly facility as well.

They built Fab 42 and never opened it. It looks like 450 mm wafers are not viable yet for reducing production costs.

Fabs have a limited life. A cleanroom gets dirty over the years, and at some point they aren't viable any more. Fab 12 has been operating for 20 years now. I wasn't in production operation when I visited it, we had just installed the CMP equipment when I was there. 20 years is a long time for a cleanroom.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2016, 12:48 PM
According to latest updates, Intel will lay off employees based on an annual performance review i.e. Focal. Under the program, the chipmaker will notify under-performing employees about their future in the company by the end of this week. The company expects to conclude its restructuring program before the second half of 2017.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/67746-intel-corporation-conclude-layoffs-2017/

When I was familiar with Intel practices 15+ years ago, they would always have layoff periods where they would cut the bottom few percent of the workforce, and hire new fresh workers. Everyone was under the gun, knowing the bottom would be cut based on performance reviews. This was a way of keeping people from slacking off. This 16,000 however, is something like 11%, and very unusual. Unless... they only plan to cut the bottom few percent like normal, but want to make people perform better.

Scare tactics sometimes work!

Wild Cobra
04-26-2016, 12:53 PM
HILLSBORO, Ore. -- Intel is laying off 784 people at its facilities in Aloha and Hillsboro, according to an announcement from state worker displacement officials.

The notice said the layoffs will be announced between Wednesday and April 29 and the employees' last day will be May 31.

Intel will offer each worker six weeks of pay and three months of COBRA health care premiums.

According to the company's website, Intel has about 18,600 workers at six Washington County facilities.

This 784 of 18,600 people represent 4.2%. This is a normal cyclical Intel layoff.

Pelicans78
04-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Trump has routinely used H1-B visas and foreign workers for his companies.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2016, 01:06 PM

These changes will result in the reduction of up to 12,000 positions globally -- approximately 11 percent of employees -- by mid-2017 through site consolidations worldwide, a combination of voluntary and involuntary departures, and a re-evaluation of programs. The majority of these actions will be communicated to affected employees over the next 60 days with some actions spanning in to 2017.

Well, it appears there is also just under 600 layoffs announced in two support locations. That would be part of consolidation. Consolidation would also be likely as chip sizes shrink. Going from 22 nm to 14 nm means you get an increased 147% efficiency of wafer space. this means only 40% as many wafers need to be produced for the same number of chips.

Again, it's probably the two older technology fabs closing for the huge layoff numbers. They are otherwise probably doing their normal house cleaning layoffs, at small percentages everywhere.