PDA

View Full Version : Lakers have received permission from the Spurs to interview Ettore Messina

SpursFan86
04-25-2016, 07:45 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2016/04/25/ettore-messina-luke-walton-lakers-coaching-search/83522986/

The Los Angeles Lakers are wasting no time in their coaching search.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Lakers have received permission from the San Antonio Spurs to interview their lead assistant coach, Ettore Messina, as a possible replacement for the recently departed Byron Scott.

It is unclear how soon the team plans to interview Messina, the widely-respected Italian coach who won four Euroleague titles and was twice the Euroleague coach of the year before spending the 2011-12 NBA season on the Lakers coaching staff headed by Mike D’Antoni. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the search.

While many names have been mentioned, Messina and Golden State Warriors assistant Luke Walton are believed to be on the Lakers’ unofficial short list. Messina, who is also being considered for the Sacramento Kings’ head coaching vacancy, joined Gregg Popovich and his San Antonio staff in July of 2014.

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Spurs should sign Blatt as an assistant if Messina leaves, assuming Blatt doesn't get a head coaching offer.

DPG21920
04-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Spurs should sign Blatt as an assistant if Messina leaves, assuming Blatt doesn't get a head coaching offer.

That would be a dream scenario. Lose Messina (I don't hate him, but wouldn't mind him gone) and land Blatt.

Robz4000
04-25-2016, 08:08 PM
That would be a dream scenario. Lose Messina (I don't hate him, but wouldn't mind him gone) and land Blatt.

This.

Chinook
04-25-2016, 08:08 PM
Please take him.

And no Blatt. The Spurs already have too many assistants. They don't need to hire a new lead. Just let the best of Udoka and Borrego do it.

SPURt
04-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Good for Messina. A head coaching job has been his agenda from day one.

NASpurs
04-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Addition by subtraction tbh.

DPG21920
04-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Please take him.

And no Blatt. The Spurs already have too many assistants. They don't need to hire a new lead. Just let the best of Udoka and Borrego do it.

I can't help but feel that SA lost something losing Bud. I for one like having leads as assistants especially since Pop is clearly the Alpha and there is no chance of a power struggle.

SpurPadre
04-25-2016, 08:18 PM
How about we get Brett Brown back once he gets inevitably fired?

Chinook
04-25-2016, 08:22 PM
I can't help but feel that SA lost something losing Bud. I for one like having leads as assistants especially since Pop is clearly the Alpha and there is no chance of a power struggle.

Um, we're talking about lead assistants here. Pop will have one no matter what. Of course the Spurs lost something without Bud. They replaced with him Jim "Ka-who?" Boylen. That was a drop-off. Then they brought Messina in, and that hasn't really gotten better. Let Borrego and Udoka and Hammond grow and stop adding in new guys. You can easily mess things up doing that.

SpurPadre
04-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Um, we're talking about lead assistants here. Pop will have one no matter what. Of course the Spurs lost something without Bud. They replaced with him Jim "Ka-who?" Boylen. That was a drop-off. Then they brought Messina in, and that hasn't really gotten better. Let Borrego and Udoka and Hammond grow and stop adding in new guys. You can easily mess things up doing that.

Not if Brown becomes available.

DPG21920
04-25-2016, 08:25 PM

:lol I know we are talking about lead assistants and there is always one, give me some credit. I was referring to the lead assistant being an actual "lead" as in true head coaching material.

I'm fine if they let it happen from within, I'm just saying I like having a Bud level guy on the team behind Pop and Blatt I think is there.

Chinook
04-25-2016, 08:30 PM
:lol I know we are talking about lead assistants and there is always one, give me some credit. I was referring to the lead assistant being an actual "lead" as in true head coaching material.

I'm fine if they let it happen from within, I'm just saying I like having a Bud level guy on the team behind Pop and Blatt I think is there.

I actually think Bud is overrated. I haven't been impressed with his coaching job in Atlanta.

If it's any consolation, Don Newman should be available again.

EVAY
04-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Totally agree with not missing Messina if he goes. My expectation, though, is that the Lakers go for Walton, given all the associations with the Waltons.

I would still hope that Messina goes somewhere else. I just don't see any of the players except Ginobili ever paying any attention to him.

I could see Brown coming back here and I would go for that. Anybody see any of the current Spurs becoming assistants on this staff?

LkrFan
04-25-2016, 08:36 PM
No worries Spur Fans. It will be Kevin Ollie.

Chinook
04-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Totally agree with not missing Messina if he goes. My expectation, though, is that the Lakers go for Walton, given all the associations with the Waltons.

I would still hope that Messina goes somewhere else. I just don't see any of the players except Ginobili ever paying any attention to him.

I could see Brown coming back here and I would go for that. Anybody see any of the current Spurs becoming assistants on this staff?

Next year? No. Eventually? I could see Duncan being a coach. I think he likes that part too much to be in the front office. Rasual isn't on the team anymore, but I could see him being a Spur. Miller might be a coach, but I don't know if it would be in SA. Bonner would probably be in the front office of SA or TOR. That's about it for guys who are old enough for me to feel comfortable projecting.

Mugen
04-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Bring Brett back tbh.

TrainOfThought5
04-25-2016, 09:06 PM
Definitely gotta bring brett back after Durant signs.

EVAY
04-25-2016, 09:06 PM
Next year? No. Eventually? I could see Duncan being a coach. I think he likes that part too much to be in the front office. Rasual isn't on the team anymore, but I could see him being a Spur. Miller might be a coach, but I don't know if it would be in SA. Bonner would probably be in the front office of SA or TOR. That's about it for guys who are old enough for me to feel comfortable projecting.

:bobo Thx. I was thinking that about Duncan too. I could see Manu as a coach, but not in SA.

Jdspur20
04-25-2016, 09:34 PM
No worries Spur Fans. It will be Kevin Ollie.

Yeah...have fun with that.

Mr. Body
04-25-2016, 09:45 PM
They'll go with Walton because their roster is filled with chuckleheads who won't listen to some Euro dude.

Kawhitstorm
04-25-2016, 09:46 PM

Messina installed the epic defense during training camp:wakeup

hater
04-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Good riddance. Take the Italian scrub. Please take him

TheGreatYacht
04-25-2016, 09:58 PM
No Messina = no elite defense

SAGirl
04-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Wow I think I am the only one that would miss him.:lol
Frankly the one loss to the Pacers we had this season in that game he coached, he rode the stars and older players as much as he could get away with Pop's minutes limits, but he rode them coach Thibodeau style. I didn't like that.

Usually when something is not working Pop gets on guys and even benches whoever he deems the culprit for a few minutes switching lineups and adding energy guys. It's worked for Pop to develop players, find talent and get rest for vets as well as win games he w as losing anyways. I do like how attentive he is to defensive assignments and how encouraging he seems to be of players. One of the few coaches I see genuinely clapping and cheering good plays by players. He could have trouble reaching young players as some point out. Our guys are fairly sophisticated as teams go.

Wish him the best.

mudyez
04-26-2016, 12:06 AM
We still have Becky.

04-26-2016, 12:17 AM
It was only a matter of time until someone poaches Messina. He's already 55-56. He's not going to wait around until he's 60 for Pop to retire. Pop's replacement should definitely be younger. Kind of wondering how Udoka is progressing as a coach.

It was a luxury having someone as experienced as Messina around to do the assistant work and Pop doesn't have to worry about games when he's ejected. But sooner or later, someone will grab Messina.

Maybe the Hawks will be crater in the next few years and Bud can come back.

mudyez
04-26-2016, 12:19 AM
I was joking about Becky, but if Pop really stays for four or more years, I really could see that happening.

And I would love it!

neboat
04-26-2016, 12:20 AM
Then they brought Messina in, and that hasn't really gotten better.

Any reasons why it seems like this is how most people here feel?

sexinthatsx
04-26-2016, 12:25 AM
I actually think Bud is overrated. I haven't been impressed with his coaching job in Atlanta.

If it's any consolation, Don Newman should be available again.

No, Bud has been impressive in leading the Hawks to an impressive record in the league last season, the players just couldn't execute down the stretch for the playoffs. With the players on that team, what Bud did was pretty amazing.

SouthernFried
04-26-2016, 12:28 AM
I like Udoka a lot. The players all go to him as well...he seems to have their respect.

Maybe that melee in Africa, where he fought his team out of the arena helps with the respect bit ;)

DAF86
04-26-2016, 12:40 AM
Why is everyone saying they want Messina out and acting like they actually know if he's doing a good or bad job? Am I missing something? :lol

Mal
04-26-2016, 02:16 AM
Take Becky and let this circus on another comedy tour

04-26-2016, 02:46 AM
Why is everyone saying they want Messina out and acting like they actually know if he's doing a good or bad job? Am I missing something? :lolmy thoughts exactly:lol

Obstructed_View
04-26-2016, 02:48 AM
We still have Becky.

If there's a successor to Pop on the bench, it's probably her. The Lakers deserve Messina. Not in love with what I've seen from him when Pop has been out.

sook
04-26-2016, 03:07 AM

Lebron really fucked Blatt. Its hard for players to respect a coach that was neutered, ignored on plays, pushed out of huddles and told to fuck off. The image is gone and I doubt you'll see Blatt get a HC job in the NBA.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2016, 03:27 AM
Blatt was doomed when he did this:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--5ZIMM4WN--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/x68wrrccsk7y0g66uw16.gif

TheDoctor
04-26-2016, 06:07 AM
How about we get Brett Brown back once he gets inevitably fired?
Coach Brown won't be fired as long as the Front Office is tanking. That's on them, not him.

cutewizard
04-26-2016, 06:16 AM
fuck

everyone is raiding is

thievessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

cutewizard
04-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Manu can coach, tbh

Slomo
04-27-2016, 02:20 AM
Why are some of you convinced that Messina is doing a bad job on the Spurs?

I'd really like to see some insight on this, because I've been wondering this myself but couldn't see any evidence of it.

JR3
04-27-2016, 12:16 PM

I'd really like to see some insight on this, because I've been wondering this myself but couldn't see any evidence of it.agreed. Anyone want to back up their opinion or is it just not a big concern that he may leave? We know he is talented.

GSH
04-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Messina has proven himself. He's a good coach. A very good coach. He hasn't been with the Spurs for such a long time, so losing him now might not be quite as disruptive as it might be. But the reports were that he was involved with the team for years before he left Europe and came here - so there is some knowledge drain involved.

If he feels like he is the heir apparent, and that Pop might have the end in sight, I think he will stay here. If not, why wouldn't he consider some head coaching offers elsewhere?

Robz4000
04-27-2016, 03:04 PM

I'd really like to see some insight on this, because I've been wondering this myself but couldn't see any evidence of it.

As an assistant coach he's fine, and I've heard several people with the team cite him as the architect of the Spurs' defense (albeit I think it has more to do with the Spurs having several elite defenders and vets who know how to play both ends). However, during the times he's taken over HC duties I've been extremely underwhelmed. His rotations made zero sense, he overplayed certain players that shouldn't have been, and made changes/called timeouts at points where the team had momentum and killed it or refused to do so when the team was melting down. A lot of the younger players also seem to tune him out at times from what others have said; I never really paid attention to it but it could also be an issue.

Spurs9
04-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Why is Messina so great tbh? I haven't really seen much from him on the Spurs, haven't seen him in interviews or know what affect he has. I just hear about how he was a great coach overseas, did he win championships? What are you guys so excited about him on the NBA level about?

Brazil
04-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Why is everyone saying they want Messina out and acting like they actually know if he's doing a good or bad job? Am I missing something? :lol

:lol the voice of the reason right there