PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: The Truth About Steph Curry's Injury

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 08:45 PM
The truth about Steph Curry's injury (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-truth-about-steph-curry-s-injury-005912613.html)
By Tim Grover of The Vertical
17 minutes ago
Yahoo Sports

When news broke Monday that Steph Curry had a Grade 1 knee sprain and would be re-evaluated in two weeks, most people heard this: It's not an ACL! He'll be back in two weeks!

Not so fast.

A Grade1 knee sprain means there's slight damage; the ligaments are stretched but not torn, and the knee still has stability. If you're going to sprain a knee, this is the mildest way to do it.

But the most important part of Monday's announcement was this: "He will be re-evaluated in two weeks."

Sorry, but in no way does that suggest he'll be ready to play in two weeks, no matter how mild the sprain.

That two-week evaluation will assess what he's been able to accomplish between now and then. Are these two weeks going to be productive? Has the swelling gone down enough for him to begin rehabbing the injury? Can he tolerate weight-bearing activity? Change directions? Start and stop?

Can he be Steph Curry?

If he can't do anything, if activity is limited to rest, ice and compression, then those two weeks become even longer.
For Curry to make a successful return to playoff-caliber basketball, his rehab will have to restore his timing and conditioning because his game involves so much quick change of speed and direction; his style of play requires an extremely high level of agility. He's not explosive like Russell Westbrook, but he'll beat you with quickness, both physically and mentally, not just up and down the court but in all directions, at all speeds.

It won't be enough for him to receive the inevitable verdict that he's been "cleared for basketball activity." There's basketball activity, and then there's Steph Curry.

Keep in mind, there's also the ankle issue. Remember, before Sunday's knee injury, Curry missed the preceding game with an ankle sprain. I know everyone is looking at the replay of the knee sprain and saying, "It was just one of those things." But in this case, if you really look at how he tweaked the ankle, you'll understand that it wasn't "just a slip." Without a doubt, that weakened ankle contributed to the knee sprain; when he slipped on the court, the ankle instability couldn't help protect the knee. The entire body is a chain: one rusty link puts extra stress on the other links and weakens the entire chain.

Curry was wearing an ankle brace when the knee injury occurred, and it's a reasonable bet that the brace jeopardized the knee. Why? Because while the ankle is immobilized, what's the next point of vulnerability? The knee. The stress moves right up the chain.

No question Steph needs the brace to stabilize the ankle, but there are risks associated with that. Ankle braces are supposed to prevent sprains, but what happens when you brace something? You're giving added support from an outside source. When the body gets something from an outside source, it stops doing what it's supposed to do naturally. So instead of the ankle protecting itself, it relies on the brace and ultimately weakens the entire chain up the body. End result: Increased risk of other lower-body injuries.

Ankle stability is everything: The stronger your lower legs, the more explosive you'll be in all directions: laterally, forward, backward, vertical, stop and go. Think of yourself as a race car: Your horsepower comes from the calves up; your ankles are the tires. In the middle of a race the pit crew doesn't change the engine, it changes the tires so the car can keep performing. Weak tires, weak race.

I'd be interested to know if the brace, tape or shoes were modified after the ankle injury, possibly causing the knee to track in a different way.

Curry's successful return will rely heavily on the Golden State training staff, which deserves tremendous credit for keeping this season's team strong and relatively injury-free. I've worked with several of those players in the past – Shaun Livingston and Andre Iguodala after serious injuries – and I know the challenges of keeping athletes healthy throughout an entire season, especially when they're playing every night and breaking records and not letting up.

For the Warriors, don't look for them to make excuses. Curry might be their best player but on this team, everyone has the ability to step up. So many teams completely implode when things don't go according to plan; you can just see the air go out of them. Many teams would have shut down if their six-time NBA champion head coach had to leave the team as Steve Kerr did, leaving them with the untested Luke Walton. But this team didn't use Walton's inexperience as an excuse. It didn't settle for playing as well as it did last season; it came back and played even better.

Lots of talk Monday about how Curry's absence will give the Clippers the break they've needed, their big chance to get to the Finals. Well, as of this writing, the Clippers still have to get past the Blazers, and Golden State is still playing the Rockets.

Can't move on to "next" until you accomplish "now."

- - - - - - -

Tim S. Grover is the CEO of ATTACK Athletics, world-renowned for his work with championship and Hall of Fame athletes including Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade and hundreds more. An international authority on performance and motivation, he appears as a keynote speaker for corporations and sports organizations, and is the best-selling author of Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable. Follow Tim @ATTACKATHLETICS on Twitter and Instagram, and visit http://www.attackathletics.com for more.

djohn2oo8
04-25-2016, 08:48 PM
That's what I've been saying. He won't be in game shape. And susceptible to another injury. He won't be the same player in the playoffs.

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 08:49 PM
That's what I've been saying. He won't be in game shape. And susceptible to another injury. He won't be the same player in the playoffs.

Damn Grover says that ankle fucked him up, I guess I gotta concede your point on playing Curry in Game 4.

~O~
04-25-2016, 08:50 PM
Eh. Its going to be tough but I believe the Warriors have the arsenal to stay afloat. The other guys on the team will just have to step up in his absence and play his role.

~O~
04-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Also if they meet the Spurs in the WCF with curry still sitting out, they're done. I concede to that.

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Eh. Its going to be tough but I believe the Warriors have the arsenal to stay afloat. The other guys on the team will just have to step up in his absence and play his role.

I don't know man, that's a really tall order. They're going to have to play Bogut a lot or Jordan will eat them alive on the glass and make it a short series. Bogut's best use on offense, namely setting screens 25 feet out for open threes for Curry, is out the window if Steph is hurt. I think they could have a reasonable chance to get through OKC without Curry, but I don't see it against the Clippers.

InRareForm
04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Lol some doctor on sportscenter said he could be pain free real soon. :lol

Splits
04-25-2016, 09:13 PM

Chinook
04-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Yeah, people are ignoring the hell out of biophysics as they relate to basketball. From shooting to defending to injuries, it plays a huge role. Curry being back but not 100 percent means he'll put less pressure on the defense even if he can shoot just as well. He won't be able to consistently cross guys over into step-back jumpers, and that is what separates him from a guy like Korver. You can game-plan for spot-up Steph. Obviously on the other side you want to post him up as much as possible. He'll need his knee to hold position and constantly backing him down will tire him out. Also running fake screens (meaning where the player starts in one direction and them runs back to the other to make two small screens) is the easiest way to make him have to change direction quickly.

TrainOfThought5
04-25-2016, 09:26 PM

No way in hell they make it past the clips without Curry. Thompson isnt a 1A Star, and Draymond Greens dumbass will be consistently exposed without Curry setting him up with easy looks.

sook
04-25-2016, 09:46 PM
not a doctor, hasn't seen his mobility or the MRI, therefore he should shutup.

Mnky
04-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Curry didn't look like curry in game 3 before the knee incident. Hard to believe he will be looking better after a longer rehabilitation and lack of game shape.

04-25-2016, 10:45 PM
If there's any bright spot for the dubs, at least Curry's ankle will get to heal up over the next couple of weeks.

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 10:46 PM
If there's any bright spot for the dubs, at least Curry's ankle will get to heal up over the next couple of weeks.

I still hope they find AIDS when they look at his knee again in a couple weeks.

RsxPiimp
04-25-2016, 10:54 PM
clippa doin the warriors a huge favor by extending the series.

benefactor
04-25-2016, 11:00 PM
:cry bbbut 73 wins :cry

Ice009
04-25-2016, 11:19 PM
Damn Grover says that ankle fucked him up, I guess I gotta concede your point on playing Curry in Game 4.

Yeah, Grover saying that adds a little more legitimacy to it. I didn't think the ankle played any part whatsoever - I just thought it was the wet spot on the floor and simply a freak accident that could have happened to anyone. I'm still not sure if the ankle played a huge part in it, but I guess it could have contributed a small percentage to the way he slipped and fell. I guess we'll have to take Grover's word for it as he would know better than us.

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 11:27 PM
Well fuck, CP3 going to the locker room with a problem with his hand.

K...
04-25-2016, 11:47 PM
all the west conf pg gonna get injured except mvparkerrrrrrr. Tissot.

jehawk81
04-25-2016, 11:49 PM
Broken hand for CP3

Dancelot
04-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Cp3 just fractured his hand

ducks
04-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Well fuck, CP3 going to the locker room with a problem with his hand.

Broken hand

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Broken hand

Yeah, his season is over and now GSW doesn't have to rush Curry back for shit.

baseline bum
04-25-2016, 11:53 PM
Broken hand for CP3

Cp3 just fractured his hand

Broken hand

:pctoss Did you guys hear Perkins is out for Game 7? :pctoss

ducks
04-25-2016, 11:58 PM
Yeah, his season is over and now GSW doesn't have to rush Curry back for shit.

Sucks

DMC
04-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Hey, at least they got the RS record. Kerr saw to it.

sexinthatsx
04-26-2016, 12:31 AM
Well, Dirk sprained his MCL that one time in the playoffs only to come back a week later like nothing happened. We'll see how Curry responds to it.

Killakobe81
04-26-2016, 12:42 AM
Well, Dirk sprained his MCL that one time in the playoffs only to come back a week later like nothing happened. We'll see how Curry responds to it.

Dirk never had to cut and change direction wit the sudden quicks a la Curry ...dont think its end of world but definitely ...smart $ now moves to Spurs followed by Cavs

sexinthatsx
04-26-2016, 01:00 AM
Dirk never had to cut and change direction wit the sudden quicks a la Curry ...dont think its end of world but definitely ...smart $ now moves to Spurs followed by Cavs

I'm sure Draymond will find some way to make his illegal screens even more illegal so Curry doesn't have to move laterally. Plus, he could just chuck some 40-footers which is like free throws to him anyway.

Kawhitstorm
04-26-2016, 01:01 AM

Dirk can still score 20 w/ a shot knee b/c he doesn't even jump when he shoots let alone cutting & changing directions.:lol (It's like comparing apples to oranges)

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-26-2016, 07:25 AM
His injury take 4 weeks to fully heal. I had it one time. 2 weeks is basically when the pain subsides. Scar tissue builds up and it takes about another 2 weeks just to get 70-80% mobility back in you knee. I would say it take 6-8 weeks to fully recover. The fact he has a severe ankle sprain, Curry won't be 100% this playoffs. And with Paul or Lillard in the 2nd round, Curry will be risking further injury if he comes back in two weeks.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Dirk can still score 20 w/ a shot knee b/c he doesn't even jump when he shoots let alone cutting & changing directions.:lol (It's like comparing apples to oranges)

Exactly. Dirk doesn't crossover hard, step back hard. All Dirk does is do that over the shoulder fade away jumper that he barely get off the floor. To boot, he jumps off his good knee, so it does effect him that much.

dabom
04-26-2016, 08:10 PM
He was already getting ankle sprains before you stupid fuck. And like some other poster said. Tighter ankle wraps moves the power to your knees during awkward motions. :lmao

I posted this before the article. Of course both injuries are related. Only stupid fucks that don't know shit need to stfu. :lmao

sook
04-26-2016, 08:14 PM
http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/2009475/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

hater
04-26-2016, 08:21 PM
he will be fine for the WCFs.

spurraider21
04-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Sweep the leg

hater
04-26-2016, 08:24 PM
warriors are still the favorite to win the West. hands down. of course once in the Finals the Cavs will win it. they will win it all. No one will beat the Cavs.

baseline bum
04-26-2016, 08:35 PM
warriors are still the favorite to win the West. hands down. of course once in the Finals the Cavs will win it. they will win it all. No one will beat the Cavs.

What if the Grizzlies would have made it to the Finals?

DMC
04-26-2016, 09:25 PM
http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/2009475/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
lol

Sean Cagney
04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
His injury take 4 weeks to fully heal. I had it one time. 2 weeks is basically when the pain subsides. Scar tissue builds up and it takes about another 2 weeks just to get 70-80% mobility back in you knee. I would say it take 6-8 weeks to fully recover. The fact he has a severe ankle sprain, Curry won't be 100% this playoffs. And with Paul or Lillard in the 2nd round, Curry will be risking further injury if he comes back in two weeks.

But with him at 75% even and the team around them they are still the faves to win it all though correct? Barring Portland doesn't shock them.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-27-2016, 07:07 AM
But with him at 75% even and the team around them they are still the faves to win it all though correct? Barring Portland doesn't shock them.

No. Not against the Spurs. Curry has to play well in order to beat the Spurs. The regular season showed just that. The fact he won't be able to take anyone off the dribble allows Kawhi, Green, LMA to put the clamps on Barnes/Iggy/Green.

Houston is just a horrible defensive team. Their only good defensive players are Ariza and Beverly. Everyone else is bad even Howard this playoffs.

TampaDude
04-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Both Blake and CP3 are out now, so the Clips-Blazers series just got interesting.

whitemamba
04-27-2016, 12:03 PM

what med school did you go to? Where did you do your residency? any fellowships?

Dex
04-27-2016, 12:18 PM

IMO they are the faves until someone knocks them off because they are defending champs still playing at a high level.

That said, I'd say the Curry injury puts them on pretty even footing with the Spurs if they meet in the WCF. If Curry were healthy, Golden State would have to be the favorites and the Spurs winning would be an upset. Now, I'd say it's more of a toss-up if Steph can't be Steph.

If Curry comes back and tries to play the way he was, but fails...I'd dare to say he's a detriment to his team. Those miraculous shots only look great if they are going in the basket...otherwise they are just chucks and wasted possessions.

DMC
04-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Now, I'd say it's more of a toss-up if Steph can't be Steph.

If Curry comes back and tries to play the way he was, but fails...I'd dare to say he's a detriment to his team. Those miraculous shots only look great if they are going in the basket...otherwise they are just chucks and wasted possessions.

A great coach would realize that and change the game plan. If Curry is allowed to chuck his team out of competition, how good is Kerr? I don't see it happening.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2016, 02:31 PM
IMO they are the faves until someone knocks them off because they are defending champs still playing at a high level.

That said, I'd say the Curry injury puts them on pretty even footing with the Spurs if they meet in the WCF. If Curry were healthy, Golden State would have to be the favorites and the Spurs winning would be an upset. Now, I'd say it's more of a toss-up if Steph can't be Steph.

True.