PDA

View Full Version : Does the David West move become a thing?

$pursDynasty
04-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Let's say when we win it all this year, Manu hangs it up, Timmay stays and DWest either stays and gets a modest raise or retires as well, does what David West did this year become a thing? Very good older FA's with something in the tank, the right attitude and insatiable thirst for a ring, take a massive pay cut for one year to play with the Spurs ala Noah? And maybe not just on their last legs free agents but guys who want to check a ring off of their to do list, ala a Conley and then hit the FA market again the following year for the big bucks as well as the 'I will play for the minimum for one year make a name for myself, get a ring and that sweet smell of being a Spur and either play myself into a raise with them next year or parlay it into more money somewhere else' guy. I know the Spurs value corporate knowledge and prefer not to go the revolving door route but if you can use the last 2 or 3 roster spots for experienced, hungry vets wouldn't that be the smartest way to go. It doesn't work for the top of your roster like that Mailman, Glove Lakers team but if we are just talking about the back end of the roster rotation, why not? Miller and Manu might retire, and the Spurs can do better than Martin and Bonner.

101A
04-26-2016, 10:21 AM
I think West signs a market contract with the Spurs during the off-season.

cjw
04-26-2016, 10:48 AM
I think West signs a market contract with the Spurs during the off-season.

Spurs won't have his Bird rights, so not sure he can?

SAGirl
04-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Only guys who are about ready to retire are usually in the mindset to take a lot less money in order to attempt to end their careers in a good note, going out on top, or at least playing in a very good team. I'd say FA that are 34 and above you can get at a low price like him. Younger guys? No. Guys around 28-33 are LMA status when we got him. They still want their last large/moderately large contract at market price.

Chinook
04-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Spurs won't have his Bird rights, so not sure he can?

Think you overestimate his market.

SpursforSix
04-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Let's say when we win it all this year, Manu hangs it up, Timmay stays and DWest either stays and gets a modest raise or retires as well, does what David West did this year become a thing? Very good older FA's with something in the tank, the right attitude and insatiable thirst for a ring, take a massive pay cut for one year to play with the Spurs ala Noah? And maybe not just on their last legs free agents but guys who want to check a ring off of their to do list, ala a Conley and then hit the FA market again the following year for the big bucks as well as the 'I will play for the minimum for one year make a name for myself, get a ring and that sweet smell of being a Spur and either play myself into a raise with them next year or parlay it into more money somewhere else' guy. I know the Spurs value corporate knowledge and prefer not to go the revolving door route but if you can use the last 2 or 3 roster spots for experienced, hungry vets wouldn't that be the smartest way to go. It doesn't work for the top of your roster like that Mailman, Glove Lakers team but if we are just talking about the back end of the roster rotation, why not? Miller and Manu might retire, and the Spurs can do better than Martin and Bonner.

I don't think many would take the kind of cut that West did.

thiste
04-26-2016, 01:17 PM
I don't think many would take the kind of cut that West did.

Yeah, not gonna happen regularly. Many people thought he was crazy. I don't think it'll become a thing.

However, slowly but surely some of the key principles of the Spurs mindset are growing in the league and San Antonio is becoming an interesting destination for more and more players as we saw last summer.

SpursforSix
04-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Yeah, not gonna happen regularly. Many people thought he was crazy. I don't think it'll become a thing.

However, slowly but surely some of the key principles of the Spurs mindset are growing in the league and San Antonio is becoming an interesting destination for more and more players as we saw last summer.

I agree with that and I hope that's the case.

Spurtacular
04-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Gary Payton kind of did it with the Lakers (but failed). Just from vague memory, he was probably an $5-10 mil guy and he settled for like $2.5 mil. And then he basically did it again on a smaller scale to ring with the Heat (and succeeded).

Seventyniner
04-26-2016, 04:16 PM
There is going to be a shitload of cap space this offseason. You think you've seen crazy contracts in the past, just wait.

Basically, I highly doubt a David West scenario happens any time soon. Too much money available.

Also :lol taking a big paycut to make more money later.

cjw
04-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Think you overestimate his market.

If they're capped out, they wouldn't be able to offer him over the minimum if he in fact wanted more

kaji157
04-26-2016, 05:45 PM
There is going to be a shitload of cap space this offseason. You think you've seen crazy contracts in the past, just wait.

Basically, I highly doubt a David West scenario happens any time soon. Too much money available.

Also :lol taking a big paycut to make more money later.

I think the only possible scenario where a player takes a paycut to win more later is if X player is either injured or has had a shitty season and has a very low qualifying option with his team he might as well decline and ask for a similar ammount on a one year contract on a contender, to show the league he can compete at high level and, if he is going to make few money, this way he has a chance to win a chip.

And thatīs that, it has a lot of if, and seems pretty improbable.

The David West scenario i dont see it repeating, plus, while you think no-Duncan, no-Ginobili you also take away one of the things players look when taking a paycut, these are two hall of famers that are on really shitty contracts, if they are gone, we are left with Parker making 15 millions for 10 points a game, which veteran will want to come here and share that?

Dro210
04-26-2016, 09:02 PM
We won't offer DWest much more, if any more, than he's making this year. His leadership and attitude are all that would even bring him back imo. Have y'all seen him play defense against legit bigs?

And we need to ring for the DWest move to have a shot at becoming a real thing. It's gotta be successful, or else it just looks like a bad gamble.

Spurtacular
04-26-2016, 11:29 PM
We won't offer DWest much more, if any more, than he's making this year. His leadership and attitude are all that would even bring him back imo. Have y'all seen him play defense against legit bigs?

And we need to ring for the DWest move to have a shot at becoming a real thing. It's gotta be successful, or else it just looks like a bad gamble.

I think you think the Spurs see D West as disposable meat. This is simply not true. His sacrifice is greatly valued; and he could see some more equity coming his way. This is what class organizations do. They don't think in the manner you postulate.

SD126
04-27-2016, 03:10 AM

So someone playing for $1.5M is a bad gamble??

Chinook
04-27-2016, 07:26 AM
If they're capped out, they wouldn't be able to offer him over the minimum if he in fact wanted more

MLE

CGD
04-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Maybe. At least, I'd like that to be the case for Pau if Tim retires and the Spurs swing big for the fences again this summer using cap space.

Think about it, is there functionally a big difference between the vet min or a portion of the MLE for a player who a former all star caliber player/wage earner? Really when a player reaches a certain age, we've seen time and time again that there are really only two routes: the Kobe route (grab as many dollars as you can on the way out) or the DWest ring chaser route.

cjw
04-27-2016, 12:28 PM
MLE

Right, but wouldn't that mean no Boban (also no Bird rights) if West gets the full MLE? Not saying he should get it.

sasaint
04-27-2016, 12:36 PM
I think the only possible scenario where a player takes a paycut to win more later is if X player is either injured or has had a shitty season and has a very low qualifying option with his team he might as well decline and ask for a similar ammount on a one year contract on a contender, to show the league he can compete at high level and, if he is going to make few money, this way he has a chance to win a chip.

And thatīs that, it has a lot of if, and seems pretty improbable.

The David West scenario i dont see it repeating, plus, while you think no-Duncan, no-Ginobili you also take away one of the things players look when taking a paycut, these are two hall of famers that are on really shitty contracts, if they are gone, we are left with Parker making 15 millions for 10 points a game, which veteran will want to come here and share that?

Not only no-Duncan, no-Ginobili, but depending on the age of the prospective signee, maybe no Pop. He will not coach forever. So, once the GOAT coach is at the end of his gig, the Spurs organization will be left with a big question mark. A 30-year old free agent who wants to play for Pop for 4 or 5 years probably won't get that opportunity. The Spurs' culture for the last 19 years has been defined primarily by Pop, Tim, Manu. We must face the fact that all 3 are nearing the end. Once those 3 are gone, it is anybody's guess how the Spurs' culture will be reshaped.

Chinook
04-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Right, but wouldn't that mean no Boban (also no Bird rights) if West gets the full MLE? Not saying he should get it.

Depends on what people are offering.

Dro210
04-27-2016, 02:45 PM
I think you think the Spurs see D West as disposable meat. This is simply not true. His sacrifice is greatly valued; and he could see some more equity coming his way. This is what class organizations do. They don't think in the manner you postulate.

:lol

Completely disagree. We're not gonna overpay anybody. Period.

So someone playing for $1.5M is a bad gamble??

Since he gave up a guaranteed $12m to play for $1.4m, if he doesn't get the ring he was chasing... Yea, it was a losing bet. You could say it was worth the risk, and I'd agree, but it would still be a losing bet.

We're gonna win tho. So it's gonna pay off for him.

intlspurshk
04-27-2016, 06:47 PM
I am sure Spurs will overpay D West to partially compensate what he lost last year. This is just Spurs style and sets an example to sign experienced players who is willing to sacrifice 1st year contract.