PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Steve Kerr wins 2016 Coach of the Year

SpursFan86
04-26-2016, 11:25 AM

Absolutely mind-boggling to me how a coach can miss half of the season (and his team does better in the half he wasn't coaching) and still manage to win COTY. I don't care if he implemented the "system"; he legitimately wasn't on the bench for 40 games. For half of the season he wasn't the one deciding who to sub in or out, wasn't the one deciding when to call TOs, wasn't the one in the huddle telling guys what they needed to do, etc etc.

He deserved to win it last year so it's not terrible but still, him winning COTY after missing half the year is just stupid.

da_suns_fan
04-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Dude deserves Coach of the Decade for what he's accomplished the last two years.

Remember that the Warriors lost in the FIRST ROUND under Mark Jackson.

MultiTroll
04-26-2016, 11:29 AM
The winner is selected at the end of regular season by a panel of sportswriters from the US and Canada.
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mc00392aa7ff8dc09ec35c1df7c6af01eo0&w=300&h=244&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ralph+wiggum&view=detailv2&&id=F68154E778A3273A89E6EDD2B9EBD51DEE34E5DF&selectedIndex=2&ccid=wAOSqn%2f4&simid=608014988934057484&thid=OIP.Mc00392aa7ff8dc09ec35c1df7c6af01eo0)
I'm a sportswriter.

I. Hustle
04-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Kerr put that system in place. Not being on the sidelines for half the year doesn't mean that he didn't have any input. The dude took a good group and made them great. He deserves it.

apalisoc_9
04-26-2016, 11:38 AM
He deserves it. As far as i am concerend, the warriors still played a system that kerr implemented, a base rotation that kerr implemented etc.

There wasnt a whole lot of xs and os in that 24 game winnning streak. What Walton did is not fuck up the team.

I would have given it to pop though. Hes had to deal with adjustments and a change of system this year.

SpursFan86
04-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Kerr put that system in place. Not being on the sidelines for half the year doesn't mean that he didn't have any input. The dude took a good group and made them great. He deserves it.

Sounds like you're arguing he should've been COTY last year when he came in and switched things up and took them from a good to great team. He helped implement a new system before last season and that's when they ended up winning 67 games and the title. He took them from a good to great team last year, not this year.

This year they were largely the same team (in terms of how they played) but with Steph/Draymond making large strides in their game, and with Kerr missing half the season. Of course he had some input while he was out, but again, for 43 games he:

- wasn't the one deciding who to sub in or out (and when to make those subs)
- wasn't the one deciding whether to call a TO or let guys play through it
- wasn't the one calling plays from the sideline or during TOs
- wasn't the one talking to guys in the huddle and letting them know what they needed to focus on
- wasn't the one making mid-game adjustments in response to the flow of the game

Sorry, but he didn't deserve COTY this year. Last year? Sure, he should've won over Budenholzer. But not this year.

resistanze
04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Like I said before, you're insane if you think they're gonna deny a coach that won 140 games in 2 seasons of his first award because of his injury.

SpursFan86
04-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Like I said before, you're insane if you think they're gonna deny a coach that won 140 games in 2 seasons of his first award because of his injury.

I mean it's not super surprising; I just think it's stupid. Every argument I've heard so far seems to have more to do with what he did last year as opposed to this year. He didn't implement some brand new system this year. He didn't take the Warriors from a good to great team this year. He didn't win 73 games while coaching on the sidelines this year.

Like I said, he should've won last year so it's not some huge injustice. I just think the whole "But he implemented the system!" argument is weak when we're talking about who should've won COTY this year.

Brazil
04-26-2016, 11:46 AM
This year trophy should have gone to Stotts imho

DarrinS
04-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Congrats to Kerr

Budkin
04-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Congrats to Kerr, but it's insane you can win COTY missing so much of the season. If anything it should go to Luke Walton.

whitemamba
04-26-2016, 12:00 PM
This year trophy should have gone to Stotts imho

100%, exactly what i was going to say, either him or Memphis fuck maybe even Carlisle. These teams lost big players and made it still. Golden State is a forgone conclusion, if thats the case we shold just give the award to every team that has the best record. Not taking anything away from Kerr, hes doing and has done a marvelous job, but Stotts is where it should of gone.

K...
04-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Stotts will get his revenge in round two

UZER
04-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Should've been Brad Stevens. He's done a great job with his squad.

Also, they should've beat the Warriors both times.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Doesn't matter how much time he's missed - and it's not like he's been tied up in a cave somewhere, he was with the team - they got the best record of all time, of course Kerr should have got the award. Well deserved.

I. Hustle
04-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Yeah. You guys are talking about 73 wins like it's nothing. The system that was started last year was made even better this year. We're not talking about giving it to the team with the most wins every year but you are talking about a team that took the BEST record EVER. EVER.

Texas_Ranger
04-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Stotts or Stevens were better. And yea, if they gave it to GST coach it should have been Walton.

whitemamba
04-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Yeah. You guys are talking about 73 wins like it's nothing. The system that was started last year was made even better this year. We're not talking about giving it to the team with the most wins every year but you are talking about a team that took the BEST record EVER. EVER.

no def not discrediting that. This season was historical for them, but heres my question to you. If luke had coached the whole year, or popovich, or mike brown for fucks sake, are they still 73, probably pretty damn close. They have the best player one earth, surrounded by excellent players, so we all knew what was going to happen this year. I like the award going to coaches who are doin a good job with sub par rosters. Someone mentioned brad stevens, he is also a great candidate for COTY. imho.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-26-2016, 12:24 PM
no def not discrediting that. This season was historical for them, but heres my question to you. If luke had coached the whole year, or popovich, or mike brown for fucks sake, are they still 73, probably pretty damn close. They have the best player one earth, surrounded by excellent players, so we all knew what was going to happen this year. I like the award going to coaches who are doin a good job with sub par rosters. Someone mentioned brad stevens, he is also a great candidate for COTY. imho.

This is exactly how hacks like D'Antoni, Avery, Brooks, Karl, Sam Mitchell :lol and Byron Scott :rollin have won the award, followed by being fired and unable to get jobs. Giving COTY to coaches like these is the equivalent of giving DPOY to bigs who block shots and get rebounds. It should be a thing of the past.

DPG21920
04-26-2016, 12:30 PM
It's fair. The voters got the top 3 right imo. Stevens should have been 4th then Rick 5th.

When you not only keep guys engaged after a title but break a record many thought unbreakable? You deserve it.

apalisoc_9
04-26-2016, 12:37 PM
It's fair. The voters got the top 3 right imo. Stevens should have been 4th then Rick 5th.

When you not only keep guys engaged after a title but break a record many thought unbreakable? You deserve it.

Stevens has Zero argument over cliffford. Zero.

- Clifford had to redesign his offense
- hes had to redsign his defense
- hes had to intergrate new players in batum and Lin
- he turned a terrible shooting team to a team that relies on three point shooting and win
-zero all stars and still 48 wins

Stevens has been super overrated relative to what other coaches have been doing.this year.

DPG21920
04-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Disagree - while he had to shift gears it's because his normal system sucked and they went out and got a lot of talent to fit. They have more talent than Boston imo and that's why I pick Stevens.

Clifford a fine pick too though for the reasons you stated. It was impressive & his playoff recovery has been great too (same with Brad)

DAF86
Deserved, tbh. Should have already won it last year.

apalisoc_9
Clifford and Pop are essentially the only two coaches who has had to implement something new and integrate players with significant roles and then beat their previous record by 12+ wins.

I said Kerr deserves it.

But he never really had to do any of those things this year

Slomo
04-26-2016, 12:51 PM
2015-16 NBA COACH OF THE YEAR RESULTS
Coach | Team | 1st place votes | 2nd place votes | 3rd place votes | Total points
Steve Kerr | Golden State Warriors | 64 | 18 | 7 | 381
Terry Stotts | Portland Trail Blazers | 37 | 38 | 36 | 335
Gregg Popovich | San Antonio Spurs | 10 | 32 | 20 | 166
Steve Clifford | Charlotte Hornets | 7 | 16 | 15 | 98
Dwane Casey | Toronto Raptors | 6 | 12 | 17 | 83
Brad Stevens | Boston Celtics | 5 | 10 | 19 | 74
Dave Joerger | Memphis Grizzlies | 1 | 1 | 3 | 11
Doc Rivers | L.A. Clippers | 0 | 1 | 2 | 5
Luke Walton | Golden State Warriors (interim) | 0 | 1 | 2 | 5
Erik Spoelstra | Miami Heat | 0 | 0 | 4 | 4
Quin Snyder | Utah Jazz | 0 | 1 | 0 | 3
Rick Carlisle | Dallas Mavericks | 0 | 0 | 3 | 3
Mike Budenholzer | Atlanta Hawks | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1
Billy Donovan | Oklahoma City Thunder | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1

DPG21920
04-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Casey :lol

DPG21920
04-26-2016, 12:54 PM
2015-16 NBA COACH OF THE YEAR RESULTS
Coach | Team | 1st place votes | 2nd place votes | 3rd place votes | Total points
Steve Kerr | Golden State Warriors | 64 | 18 | 7 | 381
Terry Stotts | Portland Trail Blazers | 37 | 38 | 36 | 335
Gregg Popovich | San Antonio Spurs | 10 | 32 | 20 | 166
Steve Clifford | Charlotte Hornets | 7 | 16 | 15 | 98
Dwane Casey | Toronto Raptors | 6 | 12 | 17 | 83
Brad Stevens | Boston Celtics | 5 | 10 | 19 | 74
Dave Joerger | Memphis Grizzlies | 1 | 1 | 3 | 11
Doc Rivers | L.A. Clippers | 0 | 1 | 2 | 5
Luke Walton | Golden State Warriors (interim) | 0 | 1 | 2 | 5
Erik Spoelstra | Miami Heat | 0 | 0 | 4 | 4
Quin Snyder | Utah Jazz | 0 | 1 | 0 | 3
Rick Carlisle | Dallas Mavericks | 0 | 0 | 3 | 3
Mike Budenholzer | Atlanta Hawks | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1
Billy Donovan | Oklahoma City Thunder | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1

Slomo / want to make my birthday? Pink Kool for 2 days and change the wording under his avatar to "from DPG". He can go back to posting later I just want to see him rage for a little bit. :)

whitemamba
04-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Disagree - while he had to shift gears it's because his normal system sucked and they went out and got a lot of talent to fit. They have more talent than Boston imo and that's why I pick Stevens.

Clifford a fine pick too though for the reasons you stated. It was impressive & his playoff recovery has been great too (same with Brad)

im takin bad over clifford tbh, brad stevens scares players

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15356168/brad-stevens-next-superstar-head-coach

Killakobe81
04-26-2016, 01:27 PM
WGAF? he needs to fin a way to manage Steph back in to the lineup ...and repeat.
COTY is usually the kiss of death ...

Mitch
04-26-2016, 01:39 PM
He's made a good case for it so far, let's see if he can really earn it by getting his team to step up without Curry until WCF

DPG21920
04-26-2016, 01:41 PM
He's made a good case for it so far, let's see if he can really earn it by getting his team to step up without Curry until WCF

I mean :lol that's not really fair. There are teams that never reach the WCF even with damn good teams and he has to without the best player in the world unexpectedly?

I. Hustle
04-26-2016, 02:14 PM

I see your point on those other coaches and I wouldn't even be mad.

It's my OPINION though, because there is no way to know for sure, that the Dubs would NOT have broken the record under Walton. I think he would have run Curry into the ground and that injury would have come sooner.

There are a number of coaches that I think are deserving of it. I think his is deserving as well though.

Mitch
04-26-2016, 02:29 PM
I mean :lol that's not really fair. There are teams that never reach the WCF even with damn good teams and he has to without the best player in the world unexpectedly?

Against a diminished Clippers team or mediocre blazers

whitemamba
04-26-2016, 03:19 PM
I see your point on those other coaches and I wouldn't even be mad.

It's my OPINION though, because there is no way to know for sure, that the Dubs would NOT have broken the record under Walton. I think he would have run Curry into the ground and that injury would have come sooner.

There are a number of coaches that I think are deserving of it. I think his is deserving as well though.

we can talk about possibilities all we want, thats rather meaningless my friend. Im just saying it was obvious how good the warriors were going to be, you know what im saying. I was shocked by Portland, and boston, thats all im sayin, coaching was above par if you ask me.

DPG21920
04-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Against a diminished Clippers team or mediocre blazers

Doesn't matter IMO. His own team is diminished and every year there are injuries to teams and many healthy teams don't make it. IMO, while they should have a good chance still, it's not some indictment on him if they don't make the WCF.

DMC
04-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Since it's a RS award, he's already shown he deserves it and I doubt there's a coach anywhere in professional sports who disagrees (except maybe Luke Walton lol). What he does in the playoffs will help build his image as a savvy tactician. I think GS wants to face the Clippers before facing the Blazers but that's due to CP3 being out. With Steph and CP3 out, if the two meet that's going to tell us a lot about the Warriors, about Steph, and about Kerr. We already know Doc can't coach for shit.

K...
04-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Lmao bud pity vote

RsxPiimp
04-26-2016, 03:43 PM
should've went to brad stevens or even the coach in charlotte

I. Hustle
04-26-2016, 03:47 PM
we can talk about possibilities all we want, thats rather meaningless my friend. Im just saying it was obvious how good the warriors were going to be, you know what im saying. I was shocked by Portland, and boston, thats all im sayin, coaching was above par if you ask me.

TBH I'm really impressed with Joerger. Everyone knew they were going to get blown out in the 1st round but to even get in when teams started to make a push at the end was cool. He pretty much duct taped that shit together and almost got a win in the playoffs too.

Mitch
04-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Doesn't matter IMO. His own team is diminished and every year there are injuries to teams and many healthy teams don't make it. IMO, while they should have a good chance still, it's not some indictment on him if they don't make the WCF.

I think it is, tbh. He has a deep team with a lot of talent, he just has to make use of it properly with Curry MIA for 2-3 weeks.

resistanze
04-26-2016, 04:05 PM
I mean it's not super surprising; I just think it's stupid. Every argument I've heard so far seems to have more to do with what he did last year as opposed to this year. He didn't implement some brand new system this year. He didn't take the Warriors from a good to great team this year. He didn't win 73 games while coaching on the sidelines this year.

Like I said, he should've won last year so it's not some huge injustice. I just think the whole "But he implemented the system!" argument is weak when we're talking about who should've won COTY this year.

I agree; I meant how the media votes. Stotts for me deserved it but you knew it was Kerr's after last year and 73 wins.

hsxvvd
04-26-2016, 04:14 PM
If a player gets injured for as many games as he missed and his team continues to win, would that player win MVP?

apalisoc_9
04-26-2016, 04:40 PM
If a player gets injured for as many games as he missed and his team continues to win, would that player win MVP?

Thats silly analogy. Coaches implement systems. Even if they are not there, their influebce is still there

dabom
04-26-2016, 06:12 PM
Easy call you stupid fucks. :lmao

DMC
04-26-2016, 07:29 PM
TBH I'm really impressed with Joerger. Everyone knew they were going to get blown out in the 1st round but to even get in when teams started to make a push at the end was cool. He pretty much duct taped that shit together and almost got a win in the playoffs too.
He hasn't done shit tbh. Hollins hit the WCF and gets fired and Dave J hasn't seen the light from a dogs ass since. This year the league is historically soft and part of the "injury bug" is related to coaching and training staff. Spurs fans tend to overrate opponents they beat. I guess they feel it makes the win mean something. If the RS was a week or two longer Memphis is in the lottery.

DMC
04-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Easy call you stupid fucks. :lmao
Damn.. lol

whitemamba
04-26-2016, 07:55 PM

agreed , I mentioned him earlier , my mind was blown they made the playoffs , it got so bad for them they had players on their roster I didn't even recognize..