PDA

View Full Version : Millennials dethrone baby boomers as largest generation

FuzzyLumpkins
04-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Move over, boomers.

The selfie-loving, emoji-using, “Broad City”-watching millennial generation is now the largest living age cohort in the country, according to new 2015 figures from the U.S. Census Bureau analyzed by Pew Research.

The roughly 75.4 million millennials, defined as those ages18 to 35 in 2015, have dethroned the 74.9 million baby boomers, those ages 51 to 69 in 2015, who were previously the nation’s largest generation.

Generation X, the middle generation that includes people ages 35 through 50 in 2015, is expected to surpass the boomers in population by 2028, according to Pew's projections.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/millennials-largest-generation-222448#ixzz4750RPqOg

TeyshaBlue
04-28-2016, 11:57 AM
You apes want to live forever?
*Johnny Rico voice*

CosmicCowboy
04-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Good. We need someone to pay for our SS and Medicare.

DarrinS
04-28-2016, 04:44 PM

:lol

FuzzyLumpkins
04-28-2016, 05:48 PM

Boomers are dying off and the youngest of the millennials are in secondary school. This trend is accelerating.

They as a voting bloc are much more egalitarian and disestablishment. We're more likely to see medicare expansion to all citizens and the repeal of boomer and special interest pandering legislation like Bush's drug law for example.

Bender
04-28-2016, 07:45 PM

half of them don't want to work, they mooch off mom & dad until they're 30

TeyshaBlue
04-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Boomers are dying off and the youngest of the millennials are in secondary school. This trend is accelerating.

They as a voting bloc are much more egalitarian and disestablishment. We're more likely to see medicare expansion to all citizens and the repeal of boomer and special interest pandering legislation like Bush's drug law for example.

Yeah...Boomers used to be that way until they weren't. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
04-28-2016, 11:15 PM
Yeah...Boomers used to be that way until they weren't. :lol

Yuppies were an interesting social movement.

SnakeBoy
04-29-2016, 01:35 AM

Not only that, they actually want to pay higher taxes to give us more free shit.

Winehole23
04-29-2016, 03:42 AM
have you got a problem with that?

SnakeBoy
04-29-2016, 11:08 AM

No I'll take the free shit. The future belongs to the young, who am I to argue with that.

rmt
04-29-2016, 01:26 PM

I've got BIG problems with that. I'd like my kids to have the same opportunity that I did and higher taxes don't help that. Buying a house, have a couple of kids, (forget about a one-income household like I did), hopefully a comfortable retirement - not going to happen with higher taxes.

If the government was spending our taxes wisely and efficiently and helping people get back on their feet instead of creating more dependency, maybe I'd be for more (temporary - LOL) taxes but it isn't. I thought that I kinda understood the waste in government having worked for the county a long time ago but that is nothing compared to when my husband got a job as a federal contractor. The stories he comes home with everyday about the waste and ineptitude are unbelievable. The waste is GROSS, the technology archaic and the bureaucracy incredible. You must know when they hire you saying, "We hired you to help bring us into the 21st century." They are set in government thinking that they don't know what direction to go into and who to hire - they don't even know what questions to ask. When I think about multiplying this by the number of other departments, my mind just blows up.

1. Recent meetings among Yellen, Obama and Biden
2. Yesterday's 0.5 GDP
3. China's gold-backed yuan

These are concerning signs. GDP is paltry - might be a recession ahead and the Federal Reserve is out of bullets. There is manipulation going on. When the stock market tanked at the beginning of the year, there should have been a flight to safe havens like gold - didn't happen - gold miners sank to their lowest point.

China wants to be the world's reserve currency. The day that happens, the US will no longer be able to keep printing $s and our $19 trillion debt ... well, let me not get depressed thinking about that.

So when we talk about free sh*t, entitlements, and all that - think about whether we can continue what we have (instead of doing something like raising the age from 67 to 70 to save the entitlements) much less adding free college tuition and health care.

TeyshaBlue
04-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Yuppies were an interesting social movement.
I was referring more to the whole counter culture movement of the 60's and 70's. The 80's took care of that shit quick.:lol

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2016, 08:42 PM
I was referring more to the whole counter culture movement of the 60's and 70's. The 80's took care of that shit quick.:lol

no shit. I even voted for Sissy Farenthol.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-30-2016, 01:50 PM

That was my point about the yuppies. That is when the claims of ideals being for children started being the common excuse for bad behavior.

boutons_deux
04-30-2016, 01:59 PM
"I'd like my kids to have the same opportunity that I did"

They won't, unless you are extremely wealthy, privileged and pay for $200K+ education, etc, etc.

They won't find good jobs like in the '50s - '70s, because unions have been busted, and capitalists have won the war labor.

rmt
04-30-2016, 02:49 PM
"I'd like my kids to have the same opportunity that I did"

They won't, unless you are extremely wealthy, privileged and pay for $200K+ education, etc, etc.

They won't find good jobs like in the '50s - '70s, because unions have been busted, and capitalists have won the war labor.

I don't think one has to pay $200k for a good education. Good state universities are sufficient. It's the good jobs that are not a given anymore.

TeyshaBlue
04-30-2016, 03:39 PM
That was my point about the yuppies. That is when the claims of ideals being for children started being the common excuse for bad behavior.

Oh...got ya. Agreed.

Winehole23
05-01-2016, 02:05 AM
I was referring more to the whole counter culture movement of the 60's and 70's. The 80's took care of that shit quick.:lolCultural liberals mugged by reality tend to become conservative quickly.

Winehole23
05-01-2016, 02:21 AM
No I'll take the free shit..

:lol

Winehole23
05-01-2016, 02:21 AM
:tu

boutons_deux
05-01-2016, 08:05 AM
I don't think one has to pay $200k for a good education. Good state universities are sufficient. It's the good jobs that are not a given anymore.

Paying to get into a good private uni allows making friends, networking, that far surpasses having a good education.

Getting a good education, even from a state college, hasn't been, for any years, any guarantee of a financially unstressed life. And it's continues to get worse.

"According to census data, 209.3 million people in the United States are 25 years old or older, and

66.9 million have a bachelor’s degree or higher (such as a master’s, professional or doctoral degree).

That means about 68 percent of them do not have a bachelor’s degree.

If we include people who have an academic associate degree -- about 11.7 million people --

the percentage of people without a degree declines slightly, to 62 percent."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/apr/08/rick-santorum/70-americans-dont-have-college-degree-rick-santoru/

so those 60%+ adults w/o any degree, what's life look like for most of them? BigCorp, esp as it keeps passing job-killing legislation, doesn't need to provide good jobs.

Looks like the USA white mortality rate will continue to increase

FuzzyLumpkins
05-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Cultural liberals mugged by reality tend to become conservative quickly.

Everyone else does it!

pgardn
08-06-2018, 08:08 AM
Old people gonna get liberal

http://i63.tinypic.com/mrv981.jpg

Millennials with a good heart are going to insist on a massive tip for grandpa when he serves Fabbs at Ihop.

Good article in NY Times.
65-74 yo now 13 % of all bankruptcies. And rising. That commercial with granny taking a DJ job has a bit of reality.
Much rather spend money on young families, cause old people are ugly. *Sarcasm Alert* (as I apparently don’t do this well)

Lets get to work!

Monostradamus
08-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Baby Boomers are very clearly the worst generation, and they ruined this country :lol demanding government handouts and sucking the nation dry. And yet they’ll all be dead before they see the full scope of the damage they created. Fuck that generation.