PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years of Success=Player Fan Debate

coachmac87
04-28-2016, 08:46 AM
No Drama...

No Headlines...

Just a Winning....

Nothing to really debate about....

So let's hate/argue about HOF players on the team you "root" for....

Player fans are a joke....

But seriously get ready for some great Podcast!!!!

Gervin44Silas13
04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Boban
Copa
Zarko
Sutton

Budkin
04-28-2016, 12:22 PM
http://s.ecrater.com/stores/75577/49528a0d617c7_75577b.jpg

wildbill2u
04-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Never understood the mentality of 'fans' who go out for blood on their own players. And even past heroes like Gervin. If Timmy was the saviour of the franchise in the 90s, you have to say that the old ABA bunch of Gervin, Silas, Kennon, etc. made the franchise viable by their great skill sets that captivated San Antonio and gave a non-basketball town a fun taste of a national sport and eventually the entry into the NBA.

Our team is welcoming the new guys as the continuation of greatness without rancor. It just makes no sense to continually beat up on HOF players who brought us championships and who we still need for support of the new main men like Kwahi and LMA.

Gervin44Silas13
04-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Never understood the mentality of 'fans' who go out for blood on their own players. And even past heroes like Gervin. If Timmy was the saviour of the franchise in the 90s, you have to say that the old ABA bunch of Gervin, Silas, Kennon, etc. made the franchise viable by their great skill sets that captivated San Antonio and gave a non-basketball town a fun taste of a national sport and eventually the entry into the NBA.

Our team is welcoming the new guys as the continuation of greatness without rancor. It just makes no sense to continually beat up on HOF players who brought us championships and who we still need for support of the new main men like Kwahi and LMA.

I agree...... Gervin gets left out because David gets credit for saving the team here in San Antonio.....................Tim set the standard in winning...Pop's freaking family tree of coaching tree keeps getting bigger and bigger!!!!!

But Gervin put SA on the map too

to bad that due to the merger many of SA's games couldnt be broadcasted on TV

wildbill2u
04-28-2016, 01:22 PM
The first year the Spurs played in SA they were a 'rent-a-team' brought in by McCombs from Dallas on a part time basis as sort of a try-out. There was no fan base. SA was a football town and wanted an NFL team, not a team that played with a funny looking ball and was mostly black guys running around in short shorts. It was a hard sell to build a fan base.

I kept taking friends who weren't basketball fans to the games. It opened up their eyes to the incredible physical ability of these players and the fun of watching a game where the scores often doubled or tripled the number of minutes played. It was an exciting show. Many of them joined me in buying 'half-season' tickets and we got the pick of the best seats in the old Hemisphere Arena which many of us kept for decades.

For me, Gervin made the show a bargain. I told my friends that every night he made at least one incredible move/shot that was worth the $5 I paid for the floor-level ticket. And I guess the $1 a seat fans got their money's worth too, because a fan base was built that sustained the team through good times and bad over the last 40 years.

Someday, folks will be looking back on this year's team and its heroes with the same sort of nostalgia and saying, "I was there when Kwahi came into the Spurs and lots of folks weren't sure he was worth trading George Hill for. Boy were they wrong!" And I curse those "fans" of the future who look back and trash former players who helped build the Spurs legend.

mookie2001
04-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Ya Thispego is going for his 7th NBA finals. 6 championships overall