PDA

View Full Version : Should Becky be a coaching candidate for the Knicks?

cd98
04-29-2016, 01:17 PM
http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2016/4/29/10961380/know-the-coaching-candidate-becky-hammon#comment_tease

Is this premature? Should she have to toil on the bench for a few years and become a lead assistant before getting these types of opportunities? I know some former NBA players (some, but definitely not most) jump to the front of the line for coaching gigs. I guess their argument is that the played in the NBA, and the WNBA is not the NBA, or even close.What say you?

SPURt
04-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Patrick Ewing would eat a Van Gundy if that happens lol

TheGreatYacht
04-29-2016, 01:19 PM
She made Kyle Anderson look like a million bucks, so yes, absolutely.

spursistan
04-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Patrick Ewing would eat a Van Gundy if that happens lol
Gotta be disturbing for this dude not even getting a token interview in this very open coaching market despite being lead assistant with other successful HCs(currently with Clifford Hornets and before that with SVG)..not sure what's the story with him..

steeledl
04-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Yeah... They want if they want to solidify their posistion as the laughing stock of the NBA for years to come.

Nathan89
04-29-2016, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't consider her for a head coach position yet. She hasn't had long enough to learn. NBA players often play a decade and that's usually spent with multiple different coaches or organizations. All the little things add up. After which many of them spend multiple years being an assistant to gain more experience. She simply doesn't have the experience.

K...
04-29-2016, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't consider her for a head coach position yet. She hasn't had long enough to learn. NBA players often play a decade and that's usually spent with multiple different coaches or organizations. All the little things add up. After which many of them spend multiple years being an assistant to gain more experience. She simply doesn't have the experience.

um, are you saying Becky didn't play a decade under different coaches? Or are you saying Mens basketball is not womens?

I. Hustle
04-29-2016, 02:00 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5jCjsaBbJJ7kEa1LsUXst3n9eJwFzD hDDhCau04s9WrMctsZZ

I. Hustle
04-29-2016, 02:00 PM
http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/93932/93932_full.jpg

Nathan89
04-29-2016, 02:05 PM
um, are you saying Becky didn't play a decade under different coaches? Or are you saying Mens basketball is not womens?

The latter.

Sean Cagney
04-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Yeah... They want if they want to solidify their posistion as the laughing stock of the NBA for years to come.

:lol That has already happened but you are probably right, would be hilarious.

K...
04-29-2016, 02:25 PM
The latter.

Thats pretty wrong then. If it were not she'd have stumbled with the MENS summer league players. Now if your point is that some players would object to playing for a woman....like say a petty fuck like Carmelo or Phil, you might be correct. But the knicks are mostly a rich version of our summer league team.

Dro210
04-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Should the Knicks be interested in her? Sure, why not

Should she be interested in the Knicks? Hell no

cd98
04-29-2016, 02:36 PM
If Becky got an interview/job with the Knicks or any organization, it would have to be because she is a woman, right? I mean, no man with her qualifications is going to walk in and be a head coach in the NBA. I can’t think of anyone that didn’t play in the NBA or sit on that bench for a long time that got so quick a shot. I still see European coaches and college coaches as paying their dues too before they got a shot. And if she is hired so quickly and fails, I think it sets the women vying for a head coaching spot back a few notches.

cjw
04-29-2016, 02:50 PM
If Becky got an interview/job with the Knicks or any organization, it would have to be because she is a woman, right? I mean, no man with her qualifications is going to walk in and be a head coach in the NBA. I can’t think of anyone that didn’t play in the NBA or sit on that bench for a long time that got so quick a shot. I still see European coaches and college coaches as paying their dues too before they got a shot. And if she is hired so quickly and fails, I think it sets the women vying for a head coaching spot back a few notches.

She understands this and is in a good place right now to continue learning. Coaching up in Austin wouldn't be the worst thing for her, either, and if she proves to be successful there - why not give her a job on the bench instead of behind the bench?

There are plenty of guys who've put in their dues - either on benches or in the league - who have no business being head coaches. She's definitely one of the brighter prospects out there.

K...
04-29-2016, 03:00 PM
It's just crazy that people think womens basketball doesn't use the same coaching tools and such as mens, i mean is it really that hard to figure out how to call a timeout in a mans game?,half the wnba is butch and the nba is turning queer and all.

So lets have fun, convince me why nba experience is more important and why being a WNBA starting all star PG for 15-20 yrs is less experience then a role player like Fischer or Luke Walton

SupremeGuy
04-29-2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah... They want if they want to solidify their posistion as the laughing stock of the NBA for years to come.:lol

01Snake
04-29-2016, 04:14 PM
She's got about as much a right to coach as Luke Walton and Tyron Lue have. LOL

Vic Petro
04-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Jacque Vaughn equivalent? Cerebral guard with long professional career at highest level possible. 2-3 year Popovich apprenticeship followed by a job. Derek Fisher and Jason Kidd skipped the apprenticeship.

Beaverfuzz
04-29-2016, 04:31 PM
http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/93932/93932_full.jpg

At least two dead players in that pic. Sad.

SpurPadre
04-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Gotta be disturbing for this dude not even getting a token interview in this very open coaching market despite being lead assistant with other successful HCs(currently with Clifford Hornets and before that with SVG)..not sure what's the story with him..

Maybe a little of it has something to do with this stupid ass comment he once made:
“Sure we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot, too.” – Patrick Ewing

cd98
04-29-2016, 06:58 PM
I wonder if the Ewing thing is based on the fact that he was a big and former NBA players that are hired to coach tend to be guards.

tholdren
04-29-2016, 07:10 PM
No she's a terrible coach. And a woman. Disgusting

GSH
04-29-2016, 10:46 PM
There's no reason a woman couldn't be a head coach, and she's a likely candidate. But like it or not, the WNBA plays a totally different game, and there has to be a learning curve. I don't know if she's ready - I don't think anyone here does. But if I had to guess, I'd say she needs more time before anyone would even consider her. And if they do at this point, it's about making a statement. Probably no better place for that than NY. The Knicks could hardly get worse.

Russ
04-30-2016, 03:30 PM
It would set up a great "glass ceiling" claim against the league:

"I wanted a real coaching job with a future and they stuck me with this shit."

GSH
04-30-2016, 03:32 PM
It would set up a great "glass ceiling" claim against the league:

"I wanted a real coaching job with a future and they stuck me with this shit."

LOL... now that's funny. New York - where basketball careers go to die.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2016, 04:31 PM

Yep. Or Vinny Del Negro or Steve Kerr or Derek Fisher or Jason Kidd.

I think Chad Forcier coached the summer league team in Utah last summer, and they looked like a completely different team when Becky took over. She impressed me a lot. I'd root for her as a Pop replacement, especially if Tim Duncan is one of her assistants.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2016, 04:38 PM
It's just crazy that people think womens basketball doesn't use the same coaching tools and such as mens, i mean is it really that hard to figure out how to call a timeout in a mans game?,half the wnba is butch and the nba is turning queer and all.

So lets have fun, convince me why nba experience is more important and why being a WNBA starting all star PG for 15-20 yrs is less experience then a role player like Fischer or Luke Walton

Since the high-water mark of Gregg Popovich's playing career was 14 points per game at the Air Force Academy I don't even understand why someone would bother trying to make that case at all.

GSH
04-30-2016, 04:52 PM

The butch/queer comments aren't even worth a reply. But there's a little more to coaching than calling a timeout. And the point isn't that she doesn't have NBA playing experience - just that she needed to have some coaching experience in the NBA. I mean, theoretically, coaching a high-school team is the same as coaching a pro team, but you're not going to see any NBA teams hiring from the high school coaching ranks.

Since the high-water mark of Gregg Popovich's playing career was 14 points per game at the Air Force Academy I don't even understand why someone would bother trying to make that case at all.

Yeah, but Pop apprenticed as a coach under Hank Egan, Larry Brown, and Don Nelson. That had a huge impact on his own coaching career, and shouldn't be under-estimated. Becky is getting experience under the current best in the game. No reason why that won't have the same impact on her - if she has a knack for it. From what others have said, it sounds like she does.

Nathan89
04-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Thats pretty wrong then. If it were not she'd have stumbled with the MENS summer league players. Now if your point is that some players would object to playing for a woman....like say a petty fuck like Carmelo or Phil, you might be correct. But the knicks are mostly a rich version of our summer league team.

The results of summer league doesn't mean shit tbh.

tholdren
04-30-2016, 08:17 PM
she's ugly

K...
04-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Are you moving the goalposts here? She's not a great coach bc she has crazy exp, she's a great coach because she has the right attitude.

I mean the current goalpost for me is luke fucking walton.......You want to tell me luke is a better coaching candidate?

tholdren
04-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Are you moving the goalposts here? She's not a great coach bc she has crazy exp, she's a great coach because she has the right attitude.

I mean the current goalpost for me is luke fucking walton.......You want to tell me luke is a better coaching candidate?
yes

K...
04-30-2016, 08:46 PM
yes

explain then

tholdren
04-30-2016, 08:49 PM
explain then
Luke walton guided a Warriors team to a fantastic start to a record setting season. He has head coaching experience. Becky has done none of that. I also think Becky is uglier than Luke Walton.

SouthernFried
04-30-2016, 10:23 PM
We wouldn't be having this discussion, and NOBODY would be talking about a head coach job...if she, was a he.

Silliness abounds. :)

Obstructed_View
05-01-2016, 07:19 AM
Yeah, but Pop apprenticed as a coach under Hank Egan, Larry Brown, and Don Nelson. That had a huge impact on his own coaching career, and shouldn't be under-estimated. Becky is getting experience under the current best in the game. No reason why that won't have the same impact on her - if she has a knack for it. From what others have said, it sounds like she does.

Reinforcing the case that success as a player doesn't really equate to coaching ability. It's a completely different skillset. The only important factor in coaching is that your players believe in you enough to keep listening.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2016, 07:25 AM
The results of summer league doesn't mean shit tbh.

Spoken like someone that wasn't paying attention. Chad Forcier coached the SL team in Utah to a 1-3 record, and Hammon went 6-1 in Vegas with basically the same team.

dg7md
05-01-2016, 07:56 AM

This. And not to mention she's from our lineage, which has produced many great coaches and management throughout the entire NBA.

GSH
05-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Reinforcing the case that success as a player doesn't really equate to coaching ability. It's a completely different skillset. The only important factor in coaching is that your players believe in you enough to keep listening.

Exactly.

Don't you agree, though, that there are differences in the way the game is played between the NBA and the WNBA, just like between the NCAA and the NBA? I don't think it's a matter of "paying dues" as an assistant, before becoming a head coach. A lot of ex-NBA players would never be suited to be a head coach, but if you don't have that experience you need to get it as an assistant.

Do I think she's getting fast-tracked because she's a woman? There's probably some of that. But Becky wasn't just a WNBA player - she was a person who pushed herself to be at the very top of her profession. A lot of men go their whole careers as assistants, but there are people who have the drive and personality to operate at the highest level and a LOT of people who don't. She may get a shot a little sooner than some, but she will have to earn the right to keep it.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Exactly.

Don't you agree, though, that there are differences in the way the game is played between the NBA and the WNBA, just like between the NCAA and the NBA? I don't think it's a matter of "paying dues" as an assistant, before becoming a head coach. A lot of ex-NBA players would never be suited to be a head coach, but if you don't have that experience you need to get it as an assistant.

Do I think she's getting fast-tracked because she's a woman? There's probably some of that. But Becky wasn't just a WNBA player - she was a person who pushed herself to be at the very top of her profession. A lot of men go their whole careers as assistants, but there are people who have the drive and personality to operate at the highest level and a LOT of people who don't. She may get a shot a little sooner than some, but she will have to earn the right to keep it.

Her playing experience doesn't really matter. Whether she was a good player or not doesn't matter. Frankly I didn't like her as a player because I thought she was a chucker who didn't make her teams better. But I really like her as a coach. I watched her in the summer league and she was excellent. And I don't think she's being fast tracked at all. She was hired as an assistant and she's the lowest on the totem pole, and she's gone about doing her job like a pro. Pop's assistants are good support guys, but I don't see Engelland or Udoka or Forcier as head coach types. Of the current assistants, she's my pick as his successor.

GSH
05-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Her playing experience doesn't really matter. Whether she was a good player or not doesn't matter. Frankly I didn't like her as a player because I thought she was a chucker who didn't make her teams better. But I really like her as a coach. I watched her in the summer league and she was excellent. And I don't think she's being fast tracked at all. She was hired as an assistant and she's the lowest on the totem pole, and she's gone about doing her job like a pro. Pop's assistants are good support guys, but I don't see Engelland or Udoka or Forcier as head coach types. Of the current assistants, she's my pick as his successor.

I understand what you're saying. And I didn't watch her in the summer league, so I appreciate you telling what you saw there. I probably could have guessed as much, but that's not the same as hearing it from someone who knows first hand. I agree that most assistants don't have the drive to be head coaches, and that includes Ime and Chip - even though I think they're both valuable as assistants.

I'm not going to beat this to death, but I'll take one more shot. I've seen countless corporations put accountant-types, or operations managers in charge of IT. The theory is that a good leader can lead anything. There are always exceptions, but in general it doesn't work out well. They may perform the basic functions, but the organization doesn't operate at a level of excellence. A similar thing happened with teachers. Supposedly a good teacher can teach anything, so they started giving general education degrees, and turning out teachers without specialties. That's fine, if you want half-assed education.

I don't think Becky's experience as a player is insignificant. I also don't think that her "ability to get players to believe in her" is enough to allow her to step into a head coach job. Was one season coaching summer league enough? I don't see how it's possible, even if she is head coach material (and by all accounts I think she probably is). And I think the conversation is premature - just like it's premature to even talk about Steph Curry in the same breath as Michael Jordan, on the basis of what we've seen so far. But could she do it right now? Sure... at least as good as Bob Weiss, or Wes Unseld, or Byron Scott. She's would have to do better than that, or there won't be a second female head coach any time soon.

So, yeah, I think talk about her being a head coach is premature. Shouldn't even be having the discussion right now. But there seems to be a lot of interest in putting her into that position as soon as possible, to make a statement. That would be totally unfair.

Kikoluna
05-01-2016, 12:52 PM
She is so attractive tbh. :bobo

BackHome
05-01-2016, 01:17 PM
The question is how would she do on a loosing team lets say the Kings?

tholdren
05-01-2016, 01:18 PM
She is so attractive tbh. :bobo

You're female, correct?

mudyez
05-01-2016, 01:45 PM
I actually thought Patrick Ewing is dead...beeing killed in a car accident or something during his stint with the Sonics.

GSH
05-01-2016, 05:05 PM
LOL... I just made a couple of private apologies. Heavy-duty antihistamines and codeine cough syrup. The fate of female coaches in the NBA just seemed really important to me. TBH I really don't care much, one way or another. She's just another coach. She's with the Spurs, so I wish her well, and I'm sure she'll get what she earns.

I'm about to take my evening doses, so I'll be staying out of any heavy discussions this time. :lol

DMC
05-01-2016, 10:22 PM
It would be interesting if she got an interview, but in doing so a team would be setting themselves up for scrutiny if they didn't hire her. She needs to be right where she is, learning under the maestro. In time, she'll be handed the clipboard when Pop gets ejected or when he's just not making the trip for whatever reason. After a season or two of that, she'll be getting phone calls.

tmtcsc
05-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Huh? What the hell has she done to deserve that? Let her ride Pop's coattails to at least 1 championship before even bringing this stuff up.

Nathan89
05-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Spoken like someone that wasn't paying attention. Chad Forcier coached the SL team in Utah to a 1-3 record, and Hammon went 6-1 in Vegas with basically the same team.

You mean the team got better after playing some games? Wow.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2016, 09:53 PM
You mean the team got better after playing some games? Wow.

No, I mean the team had a completely different attitude, particularly at the end of quarters and in crunch time at the end of the game.