PDA

View Full Version : I know everyone hates Karl Malone but ...

Kori Ellis
09-30-2005, 12:50 AM
he's doing some good work.

'The Mailman' and his crew bulldoze through bureaucracy to help victims
By Tony Bertuca, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-29-malone-katrina_x.htm

Karl "The Mailman" Malone is still delivering, no matter what the weather.

The former NBA all-star and a crew from his logging company in Arkansas spent two weeks in Pascagoula, Miss., hauling away debris left by Hurricane Katrina.

"Everything about this just felt right," Malone says. "My mom died two years ago, and in our last conversation, she told me that one day I would have to step up on a grand scale and help people. I knew this was it."

Malone, whose team cleared 114 lots, said he brought 18 vehicles to Pascagoula, including a backhoe, three bulldozers and several RVs for him and his crew.

"We were totally self-contained with our own food and everything," Malone says. "We didn't want to take even one bottle of water away from these people. When we told them we were doing this for free, they looked at us like we were crazy or something."

Malone, 42, an experienced truck driver and logger who was born in Bernice, La., spent 12 hours a day behind the wheel of his heavy machinery.

"We started every day at seven in the morning and didn't quit until we got it done," he says.

When Malone arrived, he says he ran into resistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Army Corps of Engineers officials who said he wasn't authorized to bring his machinery into the area to clear private property.

"There was a lot of red tape, and I ain't got time for that," he says. "I found out that if you're going to do something good, just go ahead and do it."

Bob Anderson, a spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers, says FEMA and the corps by law could only allow approved contractors to clear debris and that only government agencies could work on "public rights of way."

Malone says landowners were told that debris had to be moved out to the street before it could be hauled away. "How is a landowner who just lost everything going to pay $15,000 or $20,000 to have a lot cleared? I mean, there were two or three houses on top of one another in some places."

This put Malone in the middle of territorial disputes with private contractors.

"We had one guy come up to us and tell us to go to another neighborhood and that these people could afford to pay," Malone says. "I told him, 'Why should they pay? They just lost everything.' "

Bringing the kind of hardboiled attitude to philanthropy that made him a much-feared power-forward during 18 seasons with the Utah Jazz and one with the Los Angeles Lakers, Malone decided to stay right where he was.

"Once I get in my machine, no one is going to get me out," he says. "We just said 'the hell with it.' FEMA didn't approve, but we did it for the people."

Steve Glenn, a FEMA official in Mississippi, said rules regarding clearing debris on private property exist to protect individuals' rights: "We can't just go onto private property on a whim."

But Steve Mitchell, a public works official in Pascagoula, says Malone's crew performed a valuable service for the community.

"Our view was, more power to you," Mitchell says. "If he got resistance, he didn't get it from us. I wish I had known about the trouble he had. I wish he were still here. Essentially, we just said 'bless his heart.' "

Through it all, Malone said he and his men could not help but feel the joy begin to grow around them. "There are these American flags everywhere, and people have unbelievably big smiles," Malone says. "The feeling was a high that all the guys got."

Vashner
09-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Good man.... Thuglone..

gospursgojas
09-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Thats something good that the dirtiest player to ever play in the league is doing

Horry For 3!
09-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Good for him to help out in the aftermath of Katrina.

timvp
09-30-2005, 01:19 AM
:flipoff

Still.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-30-2005, 01:22 AM
"We had one guy come up to us and tell us to go to another neighborhood and that these people could afford to pay," Malone says. "I told him, 'Why should they pay? They just lost everything.' "

I would have knocked that guy on his ass!! What worm!

TDMVPDPOY
09-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Those FEMA bastards better watch out for malone and his elbows, at leasts his doin a good deed in the community but still doesnt change my mind about him about bball.

T Park
09-30-2005, 02:13 AM
props to Malone.

My opinions of him have changed.

DesiSpur_21
09-30-2005, 02:13 AM
Dirtiest Bball player ever? Yes.

I hate him as a player but I always liked his offseason schedule and being like a normal guy in his little town.

baseline bum
09-30-2005, 02:20 AM
I hate him on the floor. Off the floor I just think he's a bit of a prick.

Dre_7
09-30-2005, 03:44 AM
:lol I cant believe people still hate him! DRob forgave him! What more do you need? He doesnt play anymore, so why you still need to hate him?

Uncle Donnie
09-30-2005, 04:58 AM
I respect him immensely for helping out like that.

But I still hate his ass.

Dingle Barry
09-30-2005, 06:25 AM
You people are such faggots. We have all seen video of Bruce Bowen karate kicking two different players in the face, and you manage to rail on Malone after his retirement in a thread about him devoting not just resources but many hours of his time to clean up a natural disaster.

I can understand hating Malone because he buried our asses repeatedly in the 90's, but all the crying about dirty basketball needs to stop, especially since Bruce Bowen is on our team.

Trainwreck2100
09-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Was he looking for Mexican girls in the debris?

Uncle Donnie
09-30-2005, 07:30 AM
You people are such faggots. We have all seen video of Bruce Bowen karate kicking two different players in the face, and you manage to rail on Malone after his retirement in a thread about him devoting not just resources but many hours of his time to clean up a natural disaster.

You're a fucking tard if you put Bowen's "dirty play" on the same level as Malone's. Just STFU.

exstatic
09-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Bruce is ultra competitive, and probably crosses the line once in a while. Bruce also never put anyone in the hospital. Malone's M*A*S*H list:

DRob - concussion
Donyel Marshall - broken ribs. missed the last few weeks of the season
Isaiah Thomas - elbow to the head. 40+ stiches, internal and external. Missed a couple of weeks.

I truly believe, and will believe until I die, that Malone was out to intentionally hurt people on the court. These weren't cases of incidental contact. In every case, he was swinging elbows, and two of them were to the head. David could have died that day if Malone's elbow had been a few millimeters one way or the other. A sharp blow to the temple has been known to be fatal, and that's exactly where Malone hit him.

I'll freely admit that If I weren't a Spurs fan, I probaly wouldn't like Bowen, but he'd be more in the jerk or pest catagory, about where I place Raja Bell now. Malone is a criminal, and my happiest moment as a Spurs fan was winning it last year without Malone on the roster, after he pulled his 6 month prima donna BS tour.

Summers
09-30-2005, 08:08 AM

I can understand hating Malone because he buried our asses repeatedly in the 90's, but all the crying about dirty basketball needs to stop, especially since Bruce Bowen is on our team.

Way to overreact. Everyone here has given him props for helping out with the debris. I can respect that. It doesn't change the fact that he was a dirty ball-player.

PS: Can we please stop using homophobic references to describe people we think are stupid?

spurster
09-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Evil El Bow vs. FEMA. I'm not sure who to root for.

:)

Props to Malone and all the volunteers helping people.

ObiwanGinobili
09-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Bob Anderson, a spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers, says FEMA and the corps by law could only allow approved contractors to clear debris and that only government agencies could work on "public rights of way."

Malone says landowners were told that debris had to be moved out to the street before it could be hauled away. "How is a landowner who just lost everything going to pay $15,000 or $20,000 to have a lot cleared? I mean, there were two or three houses on top of one another in some places."

This put Malone in the middle of territorial disputes with private contractors.

sheeeeeiiiit. I smell a dirty backhanded uder the table payemts type o' FEMA & "approved privete contractors" deal.

Malone was doing it for free... why didn't they just give him thier stamp of "approval"? they seem to expidite things real quick when it's worth it.

meanwhile: :tu to Malone. That is a real stand up guy IRL. I never had the extreme hatred for him that some others do. I think he was a dirty player - but is one hell of a guy.
PLUS it;s nice to see someone of his celebrity get his hands dirty doing the "real" work instead of just throwing $$ at the problem. the guy had a skill (heavy equipment / truck driver) and he was more than willing to put it to use.
Way to go. thats freakin awesome!

SpursWoman
09-30-2005, 08:36 AM
I respect him immensely for helping out like that.

But I still hate his ass.

:tu

SWC Bonfire
09-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Malone has always been a generous person off the court as far as giving to the community was concerned. But he was a dirty player on the court, case closed.

IceColdBrewski
09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Bruce is ultra competitive....

I remember when Jazz fans used to say the same thing about Malone.

Admit it. You'd be saying the same thing about Malone had he been a lifetime Spur. Malone is one of those guys that you hate if he's on some other team, but you you love him if he's on yours.

Bowen may not have ever put anyone in the hospital, but you can chalk that one up to good luck because he certainly has done some things that could have easily ended careers.

sa_butta
09-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks for help Karl but, the real help began when you stepped off the court.
Thanks again.

angel_luv
09-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Every dog has is day! :lol

I'm so wicked. Karl Malone didn't have to help but he did. I'm sure the Katrina victims are grateful.

samikeyp
09-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Nice job Karl. :tu

batman2883
09-30-2005, 09:26 AM
I hope he drowns...i mean great job Karl

Kip Fanatic
09-30-2005, 09:36 AM
When someone does something like this you can only say thank you. Imagine if he hadn't. Those people would have had to have pay to have their lots cleared. That is crazy. Karl Malone was a great basketball player regardless of what he did. I couldn't stand him when he was playing against the Spurs. However, what he did was from his heart and he helped a lot of people in a huge way. Let me just end this by saying, which ever one of you hasn't done something wrong, go ahead and chunk the first stone.

z0sa
09-30-2005, 03:40 PM
malone is not my opinion of a community helper... hes the main reason we lost against the lakers in 04 because of his dirtyass defense on duncan - not counting 0.4 of course. he is however my opinion of the dirtiest defender in the history of the nba

IceColdBrewski
09-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Anyone who thinks Malone is the dirtiest to ever play the game obviously isn't old enough to remember Bill Laimbeer. Laimbeer single-handedly turned his entire team into a bunch of dirty punk-asses.

Useruser666
09-30-2005, 04:10 PM
He should have elbowed Katrina right in the eye wall! :lol

Obstructed_View
09-30-2005, 05:13 PM

Ask your mommy to help you find information about the intentional elbow he threw at Isiah before you defend him, retard. Also, you are an asshole on general principle just for saying something as idiotic as "you people are such faggots."

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-30-2005, 05:14 PM
It's not so much that I hate Karl Malone as I just want him to never be in the city of San Antonio. :lol

Obstructed_View
09-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Anyone who thinks Malone is the dirtiest to ever play the game obviously isn't old enough to remember Bill Laimbeer. Laimbeer single-handedly turned his entire team into a bunch of dirty punk-asses.
This would depend upon your definition of "dirty". Laimbeer liked to take you out of your game, and pissing you off is a good way to do it. He could get in your head. Malone wasn't smart enough to get into your head, so he decided to remove it. Just off the top of my head, I remember him knocking David Robinson unconscious (after the whistle, btw), he opened up Isiah (I recall he needed 40 stitches), he broke Joe Klein's nose so bad I still remember it, he knocked out Steve Nash's front teeth, he elbowed Donyell Marshall hard enough to break one of his ribs, and I think he did that the game before he knocked out David.

SequSpur
09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
I wish Karl Malone would've been a Spur.

Maybe they would've won more championships and not played like wusses.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2005, 05:39 PM
I wish Karl Malone would've been a Spur.

Maybe they would've won more championships and not played like wusses.
Rabble Rouser. :lol

Money316
09-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Was he looking for Mexican girls in the debris?Hey Cabron,

http://forum.web-nuts.com/images/smiles/lmao.jpg

:fro :fro :fro

Knoxville Spur
09-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Malone sucks.

'nuff said.

z0sa
10-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Also the only reason Malone ever did good was thanks to some nifty passes... none of his own work

IceColdBrewski
10-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Also the only reason Malone ever did good was thanks to some nifty passes... none of his own work

:rolleyes

K-9
10-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Bruce is ultra competitive, and probably crosses the line once in a while. Bruce also never put anyone in the hospital. Malone's M*A*S*H list:

DRob - concussion
Donyel Marshall - broken ribs. missed the last few weeks of the season
Isaiah Thomas - elbow to the head. 40+ stiches, internal and external. Missed a couple of weeks.

I truly believe, and will believe until I die, that Malone was out to intentionally hurt people on the court. These weren't cases of incidental contact. In every case, he was swinging elbows, and two of them were to the head. David could have died that day if Malone's elbow had been a few millimeters one way or the other. A sharp blow to the temple has been known to be fatal, and that's exactly where Malone hit him.

I'll freely admit that If I weren't a Spurs fan, I probaly wouldn't like Bowen, but he'd be more in the jerk or pest catagory, about where I place Raja Bell now. Malone is a criminal, and my happiest moment as a Spurs fan was winning it last year without Malone on the roster, after he pulled his 6 month prima donna BS tour.

I'm not 100% sure on this...but I think I read in Slam a few years back that in College, Malone ended another player's career with an elbow...dude never recovered and was going to be really good. Now I don't even know his name.

Does anyone remember back in 2001 I think when Kenyon Martin fouled Malone really hard? It looked as if he intentionally punched him in the head from behind instead of going for the ball. Maybe Kenyon is a david robinson fan...anyway Malone was a damn good powerforward, but like Barkley and Ewing he never got a ring.

gospursgojas
10-01-2005, 03:10 AM
In 1984, while still playing for Louisiana Tech, Malone let us see a glimpse of the future when he (apparently) intentionally elbowed Rice center Dave Ramer in the face. Ramer required plastic surgery to reconstruct his face and Malone's career as a thug was born. Ramer never played again.

From an article at this site: http://www.makingpages.org/hoops/Malone.danger.html

has some pretty good picks of Karl Malone's dirty play