PDA

View Full Version : Team "You Know..."

sexinthatsx
05-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Did they coordinate the same go-to word? lol. Check out LMA's interview and Leonard interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QQ6_WQWTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qv_F8CPQ8

Brian Windhorst
05-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Verbal tool to compensate for a stutter or social anxiety.

spursistan
05-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Why is Kawhi not going to media room when he is having these multiple podium games? i'm really starting to get annoyed by his shrinking violet act..dude wants to get superstar calls but he keeps on lowering his own profile..you need to embrace the perks of All-Star status and use the pulpit in the post-playoff game press conference and be heard from instead of disappearing into a locker-room.......

Silver&Black
05-01-2016, 10:05 PM
They both suck at public speaking/media interviews.

Thank God they're really fucking good at playing basketball though....you know.

DMC
05-01-2016, 10:07 PM
KL takes his cue from his mentors. The Spurs shy away from media contact, so KL is naturally introverted and now he probably feels it's ok to not go to the podium. That's on PATFO to tell him to get his ass to the podium. I can't watch a KL interview. Between the hood half on/half off and the mumbling and saying really obvious shit, non-abstract thought process type replies, it's painful.

In fact, I can't watch anyone who picks at their nose or their face during an interview. I can't stand it.

spursistan
05-01-2016, 10:21 PM
KL takes his cue from his mentors. The Spurs shy away from media contact, so KL is naturally introverted and now he probably feels it's ok to not go to the podium. That's on PATFO to tell him to get his ass to the podium. I can't watch a KL interview. Between the hood half on/half off and the mumbling and saying really obvious shit, non-abstract thought process type replies, it's painful.

In fact, I can't watch anyone who picks at their nose or their face during an interview. I can't stand it.
Honestly, dude needs to be professionally coached..I mean Tim is introverted too but he elaborates his thoughts pretty cogently. (psychology degree, whatnot) and never took it to an extreme like shunning a podium appearance..Kawhi was nowhere to be seen by national media even after stuffing the boxcore in Game 3 of the Memphis series.

GSH
05-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Draymond does more interviews when he loses the DPOY than Kawhi does when he wins.

I heard a story about Kawhi recently, and it made me think about Boo Radley from To Kill A Mockingbird. Kind of made me wish they could just leave him alone.

05-01-2016, 10:49 PM
I don't mind LMA much. He says "uh" or "you know", but many people do that. He gives pretty solid answers in general though.

Sean Cagney
05-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Draymond does more interviews when he loses the DPOY than Kawhi does when he wins.

:lol

Tim Duncan in interviews says ummmm a lot in between, noticed that a while back as well.

lilbthebasedgod
05-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Did any of you see the interview where Aldridge was talking about how he still doesn't know anything about Kawhi?

KenziE
05-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Did any of you see the interview where Aldridge was talking about how he still doesn't know anything about Kawhi?

Yep saw that haha ...

tbh nobody really know who kawhii is hes as quiet as they come

100%duncan
05-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Who gives a fuck

tmtcsc
05-02-2016, 01:29 AM
Geez, did something happen to Kawhi that made him so melancholy? Being shy and quiet is one thing, but dude talks like his dog just died. Check out his Pre-Draft video. I've never seen him this animated as a Spur. I actually feel bad for the guy. Get the cameras and mics the hell away from him. His commentary adds nothing and he clearly doesn't like engaging with the media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1GYjD1yHo

BillMc
05-02-2016, 01:39 AM
They both suck at public speaking/media interviews.

Thank God they're really fucking good at playing basketball though....you know.

As a certain Frenchman once said "definitely."

BillMc
05-02-2016, 01:44 AM
Both are shy and reserved, which does make me wonder who will be the team's vocal leader when Duncan and Manu are gone. Pop can't do it all.

In LMA's defense, I've seen interviews done with him in a more relaxed environment, like his house or car, with simply one cameraman, one reporter, and no audience, where the "you know"s are less frequent. Some of this could be editing, but I get the impression his repetition of "you know" is a nervous habit, sort of like how Tim used to say "um" all the time.

daslicer
05-02-2016, 02:42 AM
I don't mind LMA much. He says "uh" or "you know", but many people do that. He gives pretty solid answers in general though.

I remember taking a public speaking class in college and the teacher telling the class that beginners have a habit of saying 'uh' and 'you know" a lot and that it's more common than people think. I also recall the teacher challenging us not to say it in a speech but it was hard because everybody at least said once. I would say when you are in situations these guys are in with the media you are forced to think fast hence you get a lot of 'uh's and 'you knows'. I also feel "you know" is a transition phrase used to go from one point to another. There is nothing wrong with using it. If you watch Phil Jackson's interviews he tends to use it a lot.

siraulo23
05-02-2016, 02:50 AM
Definitely

Russo21
05-02-2016, 03:09 AM
Listened to LMA's interview comfortably with the volume in the 30s, had to have it in the 90s for Kawhi's lmao

SouthernFried
05-02-2016, 05:13 AM
Kyle does his talking...on the court.

Which is how it should be.

SpursBig3s
05-02-2016, 02:18 PM

That was the snippet during the game right? I couldn't hear it at all, is there a clip of it anywhere??

YGWHI
05-02-2016, 02:36 PM
That was the snippet during the game right? I couldn't hear it at all, is there a clip of it anywhere??
Yes, it was during the game. LMA called him "colleague" IIRC, that they just talk about bball...

Kawhi and LMA don't show the same type of camaraderie in each one/relationship that the Big3, but it isn't weird. It's the first year together but also -unlike Manu and Parker- they're so quiet and the age difference is a factor.

elemento
05-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Just the Ozzie Newsome personification :lol

SAGirl
05-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Kyle does his talking...on the court.

Which is how it should be.
Lol I don't know if you meant to say Kawhi does... autotext?

----
As an aside, I really like LMA in interviews. He has a sense of humor, which I am sure goes nicely with Pop and the locker room. You know?

NASpurs
05-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Damn how cool would it be if they started saying "tbh".

K...
05-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Uh do you know his life story? It's pretty obvious:

On January 18, 2008, Leonard's father, Mark, was shot and killed at the Compton car wash he owned.[47] As of 2014, the murderer had still not been found,[48][49][50] and the family had stopped asking authorities for updates.[51 from wiki

SouthernFried
05-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Lol I don't know if you meant to say Kawhi does... autotext?

----
As an aside, I really like LMA in interviews. He has a sense of humor, which I am sure goes nicely with Pop and the locker room. You know?

Lol...I did mean Kawhi. I'm not sure I've ever seen Kyle do an interview...I'm thinkin' he might be pretty damn good at it. At least he would give the forum something to talk about :)

And yeah, LMA does have a sense of humor. He also seems like he could be a little weird...lol

BD24
05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Geez, did something happen to Kawhi that made him so melancholy? Being shy and quiet is one thing, but dude talks like his dog just died. Check out his Pre-Draft video. I've never seen him this animated as a Spur. I actually feel bad for the guy. Get the cameras and mics the hell away from him. His commentary adds nothing and he clearly doesn't like engaging with the media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1GYjD1yHo
Just watched that video. Really weird. It seems like he has regressed for some reason.
He actually had some interesting things to say and spoke clearly/loudly enough you could hear him. I honestly don't care about his public speaking as long as he keeps killing them on the court. Just thought it was odd the change from then to now.

NASpurs
05-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Just watched that video. Really weird. It seems like he has regressed for some reason.
He actually had some interesting things to say and spoke clearly/loudly enough you could hear him. I honestly don't care about his public speaking as long as he keeps killing them on the court. Just thought it was odd the change from then to now.

I've heard that things like social anxiety disorder (assuming that's what he has) can hit people in their early 20s and cause people to regress. At least he's not Ricky Williams.

CosmicCowboy
05-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Why is Kawhi not going to media room when he is having these multiple podium games? i'm really starting to get annoyed by his shrinking violet act..dude wants to get superstar calls but he keeps on lowering his own profile..you need to embrace the perks of All-Star status and use the pulpit in the post-playoff game press conference and be heard from instead of disappearing into a locker-room.......

:lol

What if Kawhi went Pop on them?

"Thats a really stupid question" :lmao

daslicer
05-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Yes, it was during the game. LMA called him "colleague" IIRC, that they just talk about bball...

Kawhi and LMA don't show the same type of camaraderie in each one/relationship that the Big3, but it isn't weird. It's the first year together but also -unlike Manu and Parker- they're so quiet and the age difference is a factor.

Scottie and Mike were never close either but they had great respect for each other's talent and I think Kawhi and LMA feel the same way about each other. As long as they have respect for each other that's all that matters.

YGWHI
05-02-2016, 04:20 PM
As long as they have respect for each other that's all that matters.
Agree. If people watch LMA in the interview saying he still doesn't know anything about Kawhi, this is not necessary bad. None should be worried about...

tmtcsc
05-02-2016, 05:10 PM

Exactly! He seems excited, happy and interested in answering the questions - and that was before he became a multi-millionaire. It's just odd.

I'm with you - I don't care if I ever hear him say another word. Plus, most of the reporters' questions are just so stupid and pointless. Just babble. Mike Monroe is one of the worst reporters around. He just throws out statements like "Pop, talk about..." or "Pop, looked like defense was really emphasized tonight.....what did uh.....what would you uh....talk about that".. <-- The epitome of fucking lazy journalism.

Pop usually breaks in with a "That's a very astute observation Mikey. We were trying to play defense tonight. We find that its one of two very important things to do when you play basketball. Shooting the ball in the basket being the other. Sheesh allmighty. Are you serious? I still love you Mikey."

skulls138
05-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Why is Kawhi not going to media room when he is having these multiple podium games? i'm really starting to get annoyed by his shrinking violet act..dude wants to get superstar calls but he keeps on lowering his own profile..you need to embrace the perks of All-Star status and use the pulpit in the post-playoff game press conference and be heard from instead of disappearing into a locker-room.......What!!! Holy shit dude, leave the man alone. He gives you awesome play and thats not enough? Go watch General Hospital if you want all that unnecessary BS. Kawhi is a blessing and is unbelievably giving the Spurs a chance at winning another title in the Duncan era.

Keepin' it real
05-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Agree. If people watch LMA in the interview saying he still doesn't know anything about Kawhi, this is not necessary bad. None should be worried about...

B-b-but I want them to be besties.

:chestbump

skulls138
05-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Alot of the media are like the characters in The Wolf of Wall Street. They come on friendly but if they see an opening theyll slice and dice you. Yeah its our only conduit to the players but fuck them and their increasing intrusiveness.

I hope Kawhi is just putting up his boundaries and that hes good. None of our business.

Tully365
05-02-2016, 05:57 PM

Gotta say, I totally disagree with this opinion... let Kawhi do whatever he wants to do... I like that a superstar on the Spurs is almost like the Thomas Pynchon of the NBA... he's completely different from other loud, brash, immature stars, who populate the NBA by the hundreds... doesn't this tie in perfectly with the reputation of the Spurs as being different from other franchises, less concerned with media attention and celebrity flash?