PDA

View Full Version : spurs with a top 10 rookie

JUUOT
09-30-2005, 08:17 AM
9) PF Fabricio Oberto - San Antonio Spurs

Who is Fabricio Oberto you ask? Oberto has been playing basketball professionally for the last 12 years yet he is only 30 years old and has a lot left in his tank. He has been an integral contributor for the Argentinian national team along with NBA star Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs and lesser-known NBA players such as Carlos Defino of the Detroit Pistons and Andres Nocioni of the Chicago Bulls. These were the core players along with Luis Scola that took home the gold in the 2004 Olympics and though Oberto will be sharing minutes with Robert Horry off the bench for the Spurs. Oberto is a savvy and efficient big man who will provide great minutes off the bench for the Spurs as they attempt to repeat as NBA Champs.

http://nbadraft.net/park002.asp

batman2883
09-30-2005, 08:45 AM
He is not overhyped, Oberto is the most able Rookie to adapt to the league much better, simply because his age allows him to be more mature about playing for the Spurs. He will do his part as a member of the team and will win over many hearts of spurs fans. Rasho will be a long forgotten name in the midst of such great tall players

sa_butta
09-30-2005, 08:54 AM
. Rasho will be a long forgotten name in the midst of such great tall playersAngel Luv reply in 3....2....

boutons
09-30-2005, 08:54 AM
"overhyped"

Who's over-hyping him? I've read nobody say he is the Spurs' Missing Piece, or a huge, impact, game-changing player. I expect he's good for 4 or 5 more years as a very serviceable, error-free, hustling, team-ball big man who will cost us almost nothing in lost production while Tim and Robert keep themselves fresh for the playoffs.

I expect him to contribute more, and more reliably than Nick and Fin.

thispego
09-30-2005, 09:46 AM
seriously, i was wondering this myself... who has been over-hyping fabri?? if anything he's been completely overshadowed by the additions of van x and finley

fabricio oberto who?

nah, i think he's gonna be a badass

MadDog73
09-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Nazr, Oberto, and Rasho. I don't care which one is better (although if I had to say, I'd pick Nazr), the Spurs are just lucky to have 3 quality big men.

Oh, yeah, and then there's Rob "slam-dunk" Horry, too!

We still have Sean Marks, too, right? Damn.....

TDMVPDPOY
09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
oberto = ROY, believe the hype

nkdlunch
09-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Oberto will be sharing minutes with Robert Horry off the bench for the Spurs.

huh?

I just saw Oberto is listed as a F! I thought he was coming in here as a center

manubili
09-30-2005, 10:13 PM
When Horry is resting and Tim as C, Fabri would be a great option as a PF.

ploto
10-22-2005, 09:05 AM
huh?

I just saw Oberto is listed as a F! I thought he was coming in here as a center

I have been telling people all summer, he will play PF for the Spurs. He will back up Tim and rest Horry. Last game he came in for Tim and played alongside Rasho, and then Nazr came in for Rasho and Oberto played alongside Nazr.

Solid D
10-22-2005, 09:15 AM
In the preseason, Oberto's already played 4 and 5....just like Malik did when he was with the Spurs. He plays in the pivot and defends other pivots.

Steve-O-Matic
10-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Just wondering what an "integral" (sic) contributor is....

ploto
10-22-2005, 10:07 AM
In the preseason, Oberto's already played 4 and 5....just like Malik did when he was with the Spurs. He plays in the pivot and defends other pivots.

They only threw him out there against Shaq for the experience of it all- but they won't use him for that during the regular season- they have even already said so.

Solid D
10-22-2005, 01:44 PM
they have even already said so.

Who is they? Pop? If you mean Oberto is PF on the depth chart behind Timmy and Horry, that is one thing, but to say he will not play 5 or defend opposing 5s in games is just inaccurate. I'm calling your bluff.

sanman53
10-22-2005, 05:43 PM
His hair is pimp

Sense
10-22-2005, 07:00 PM
We can't really consider oberto a rookie....

But if he was he has to be top10.

Solid D
10-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Oberto threw 2 between the legs passes while setting a screen vs. the Knicks. One to Fin and one to Brent. Fabri split time playing the 4 and the 5 versus the Knicks. He was just "OK", not great on D and he gambled badly once on Curry. He was very good offensively setting screens, rolling to the basket and converting on a couple of nice "and 1" plays. Oberto played pretty well for a stretch there with Horry, Finley, and Van Exel.

Mark in Austin
10-23-2005, 08:47 AM
If he can pick up the defensive system, Oberto is too good offensively - he's already better than Rasho or Nazr - to not see major minutes.

sickdsm
10-23-2005, 03:38 PM
He is not overhyped, Oberto is the most able Rookie to adapt to the league much better, simply because his age allows him to be more mature about playing for the Spurs. He will do his part as a member of the team and will win over many hearts of spurs fans. Rasho will be a long forgotten name in the midst of such great tall players

I agree, Oberto will be the best rookie beause of his experience and age. Noone else comes close,

Sincerely,

Sarunas

smdanss
10-23-2005, 08:03 PM
If he can pick up the defensive system, Oberto is too good offensively - he's already better than Rasho or Nazr - to not see major minutes.

Just from that one game Oberto was better than both Rasho and Nazr. Hope he can keep up the things he's already made, and pick up the Spurs defence as quick as he can.

Maybe Spurs can form a cheaper deal to keep Nazr, if he likes to stay, later in the season because of Oberto's better preformace.

:elephant

Summers
10-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Here's one by Summers
I dunno, I'm still pretty stoked about seeing what Oberto can bring to the table. I really think he's going to be big for us.

WTF? How did I miss this?

I wasn't regurgitating anyone else's hype. That's my opinion based on what I've seen. I have the USA v. Argentina Olympic game on DVD and I'm telling you Oberto is a bad ass. He's fast, he's smart, he makes beautiful passes, he can block 7-footers easily (*cough*Timmy*cough*), and he plays with passion (but he keeps his head in the game). Then again you can only tell just so much by one game! :)

pache100
10-24-2005, 02:33 PM
We can't really consider oberto a rookie....

Well, I bet he still has to get the donuts!