PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: So just imagine if Duncan winds up in Boston...

Caltex2
05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Imagine if the key Spurs don't get injured the whole year in 1996-97 (I'll be nice, they didn't tank), imagine if they go about 53-29 and stay good but never good enough, the twin towers never come together and Boston wins the lottery that season. Would it have been yet another Celtics dynasty? Or would the bright lights of Boston and the harsher sports climate there mess with Timmy's head? Or is Duncan great but hampered by poor management in Boston and does he go on to have a career as notable as Mitch Richmond?

Imagine the last 20 years...

baseline bum
05-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Duncan playing for Pitino would have sucked. The thought of Duncan having to play with dumbass Antoine Walker is disturbing.

05-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Duncan would've had more finals appearances not having to play the Shaq Lakers, 2006 Mavs, Pau Lakers, etc

Caltex2
05-03-2016, 09:11 PM
That's assuming he had a good enough supporting cast around him.

Caltex2
05-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Then again, who was good in the east from about 1999-2007? The Pacers off and on, the Pistons for a few overrated years (they won a title because the Lakers imploded in the Finals), the Heat with Shaq (who also needed a break or two) and ..? And the Nets don't count, they were just the best of a bad bunch, they may not have made the playoffs as a Western Conference team some of those years.

05-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Then again, who was good in the east from about 1999-2007? The Pacers off and on, the Pistons for a few overrated years (they won a title because the Lakers imploded in the Finals), the Heat with Shaq (who also needed a break or two) and ..? And the Nets don't count, they were just the best of a bad bunch, they may not have made the playoffs as a Western Conference team some of those years.
Exactly. The league would've wanted a lakers Celtics rivalry as well, I'm sure Tim would've gotten some help if not through the draft/FA, through a lopsided trade.

DAF86
05-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Duncan and Paul Pierce would have been enough to win multiple championships sooner or later.

Caltex2
05-03-2016, 09:49 PM
That's assuming Pierce is still drafted in 1998 by the C's. If they get Duncan, they may have instantly become a power and never been in position to add another star in the draft.

baseline bum
05-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Duncan and Paul Pierce would have been enough to win multiple championships sooner or later.

Duncan would have taken the Celtics into the playoffs and they wouldn't have been able to draft Pierce.

DAF86
05-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Good points scros. Still, Duncan is just too god like to have never rang. On a big market like Boston he would have gotten, sooner or later, the help everyone needs to ring.

Clipper Nation
05-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Imagine if he ended up in Vancouver. They had the worst record that year but got fucked over because they were an expansion team.

baseline bum
05-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Good points scros. Still, Duncan is just too god like to have never rang. On a big market like Boston he would have gotten, sooner or later, the help everyone needs to ring.

Yeah, they would have definitely won a title or two with Duncan. Well, unless they lost him to Orlando. I'd imagine Pitino and Antoine Walker wouldn't be nearly as good at selling Duncan on staying as Pop and DRob were. :lol

05-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Imagine if he ended up in Vancouver. They had the worst record that year but got fucked over because they were an expansion team.
The team with the worst record rarely wins the #1 pick iirc

Clipper Nation
05-03-2016, 10:29 PM
The team with the worst record rarely wins the #1 pick iirc

Well, yeah, it's not like they were guaranteed to win anyway. But they were literally not allowed to win the #1 pick for their first few years of existence under NBA rules. At least the Celtics had a chance and just got unlucky :lol

05-03-2016, 10:31 PM
Well, yeah, it's not like they were guaranteed to win anyway. But they were literally not allowed to win the #1 pick for their first few years of existence under NBA rules. At least the Celtics had a chance and just got unlucky :lol
Wow, I never knew that lol that's fucked up

Caltex2
05-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Yeah, they would have definitely won a title or two with Duncan. Well, unless they lost him to Orlando. I'd imagine Pitino and Antoine Walker wouldn't be nearly as good at selling Duncan on staying as Pop and DRob were. :lol

San Antonio was the best thing that could have happened to Duncan. He needed a low key place to grow and thrive in. When he was drafted, San Antonio was much like Oklahoma City or Jacksonville in stature. Given his personality, I could see him wilting under the pressure because of those a-hole fans and media (not all) in Boston. And I don't mean Wilting with a capital dub though he could have gone on a Wilt Chamberlain run also.

Wow, I never knew that lol that's fucked up

That was an agreement between the Raptors and Grizzlies, so it was mutual as they came into the league. It helps stop situations like the Bucks getting Lew Abdul-Jabbar and cashing in with a title in less than 5 seasons. Stupid though, both needed all the help they could get, especially the Raptors who didn't win 50 games in a season until just now.

baseline bum
05-03-2016, 11:05 PM
San Antonio was the best thing that could have happened to Duncan. He needed a low key place to grow and thrive in. When he was drafted, San Antonio was much like Oklahoma City or Jacksonville in stature. Given his personality, I could see him wilting under the pressure because of those a-hole fans and media (not all) in Boston. And I don't mean Wilting with a capital dub though he could have gone on a Wilt Chamberlain run also.

That's retarded, but typical ignorant Rocket fan logic.

DAF86
05-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Duncan "wilting under pressure" :lmao:lmao:lmao

That has to be among the most reterded takes I have ever read. :lmao

Caltex2
05-03-2016, 11:51 PM
That's retarded, but typical ignorant Rocket fan logic.

Which part?

Anyways, yes, I think it takes a certain type of personality to play in Boston. Not good, not bad, not strong, not weak but Boston is a tough sports market where many fans are drunk a-holes who, along with the media, scrutinize everything. San Antonio is as laid back as can be and has historically just been happy to just have a pro sports team until the Spurs started regularly winning it all. It was important, especially as a young player, not to have all that pressure and background noise. Boston and Philly are the worst while NYC can be as bad because the spotlight is on you so much. LA can be like that, especially for the Lakers but not nearly as bad.

Ghazi
05-04-2016, 08:53 AM
He would be like 5-3 or 4-3 in the Finals.

TheGreatYacht
05-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Poopovich would be selling Wine in Ukraine

ambchang
05-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Spurs had the 3rd worst record that year, so by logic, with the same ping pong balls in the lottery, and assuming the teams just move up one spot, the Nuggets would get that pick.

Kawhitstorm
05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
the Pistons for a few overrated years (they won a title because the Lakers imploded in the Finals),

LoL, how are the Pistons overrated when they almost beat the Spurs in the 2005 Finals WITHOUT homecourt & w/ an inferior bench than the 2004 squad.:lol

If it wasn't for Horry having an out of body 4th quarter/OT in Gm 5 & Sheed didn't have a brain fart the Pistons could have repeated. (The 2008-10 Lakers were inferior than those Pistons)

Caltex2
05-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Spurs had the 3rd worst record that year, so by logic, with the same ping pong balls in the lottery, and assuming the teams just move up one spot, the Nuggets would get that pick.

The whole point of the thread was what if TD went to Boston, not what would have happened if the Spurs were good. That said, Denver would have been interesting because it would have kept him out west.

Caltex2
05-04-2016, 01:22 PM
LoL, how are the Pistons overrated when they almost beat the Spurs in the 2005 Finals WITHOUT homecourt & w/ an inferior bench than the 2004 squad.:lol

If it wasn't for Horry having an out of body 4th quarter/OT in Gm 5 & Sheed didn't have a brain fart the Pistons could have repeated. (The 2008-10 Lakers were inferior than those Pistons)

It doesn't change the fact they took advantage of a Lakers implosion. It was part of the reason Shaq left in the offseason, he was furious that Kobe wouldn't pass him the ball. It's funny, they should have beaten the Spurs but lost to the Lakers.

BD24
05-04-2016, 02:07 PM
If Boston had drafted Duncan we would be light 5, the Spurs may not even be in San Antonio, and I imagine alot of us wouldn't be Spurs fans.

He must be something special if he can control all of that.

I. Hustle
05-04-2016, 02:34 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pI1nkFW_IKA/UbI2hzv_0PI/AAAAAAAAQxw/4GZg8dL2-ZI/s1600/PARKER+2.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uUTxpz0Z_WE/UbIIJ29p5YI/AAAAAAAAQxA/mj3vKJM2A7s/s320/2007_05_21_TIM_DUNCAN_LARGE.JPG

ambchang
05-04-2016, 02:36 PM
The whole point of the thread was what if TD went to Boston, not what would have happened if thee Spurs were good. That said, Denver would have been interesting because it would have kept him out west.

He would have bolted to Orlando and teamed up with a hobbled Grant Hill in 2000, effectively wasting his prime away winning 50 games with nothing to show for it, while Shaq and Kobe goes on a 5 peat because nobody forced them to be dismantled in 2003.

Kawhitstorm
05-04-2016, 02:45 PM
It doesn't change the fact they took advantage of a Lakers implosion. It was part of the reason Shaq left in the offseason, he was furious that Kobe wouldn't pass him the ball. It's funny, they should have beaten the Spurs but lost to the Lakers.

Let's see, the 2004 Spurs were inferior to the '04 Pistons but had the Lakers down 2-0 before Feel Jackson packed the paint & dared the Spurs role player to beat 'em. The Wolves w/ a beatup Cassell (even missed a couple of games) pushed the Lakers to a hard fought 6 games.

The Lakers couldn't stop Billups on PnRs (the Lakers achilles) & their "pack in the paint" strategy didn't work b/c he was an elite shooter. They were able to defend Shaq 1-on-1 without doubling (same w/ Kirby) so the role player couldn't get open looks. After Malone got injured, the Lakers also had no answer for Sheed on the block. Hamilton also forced Kirby to play defense which zapped his legs.

vOjYSFznYoU

fEbaO_rUqYI

-BhuU4LBXRM

z4qoSGCkpBo

nhN41MWk8EA

Shaq then fled to South Beach & got bounced by the same Pistons in the ECF while he was getting as many touches as he wanted:

PdNLSnmZa0w

baseline bum
05-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah man, those Pistons were fucking legit. Sheed on the block, Big Ben trapping guards in the backcourt, Hamilton always getting great shots off double screens from the Wallaces, and Billups with that pick and pop if you went under the screen or just bulling his way to the basket if you switched or went over. I remember Pop saying he couldn't believe the Spurs beat that team in 2005. But damn did they miss Larry Brown in 06 and beyond.

baseline bum
05-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Hubie Brown sounded like was about to bust every time the Pistons made a play in those 05 Finals. That must have been his favorite team of all-time. :lol

Caltex2
05-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Let's see, the 2004 Spurs were inferior to the '04 Pistons but had the Lakers down 2-0 before Feel Jackson packed the paint & dared the Spurs role player to beat 'em. The Wolves w/ a beatup Cassell (even missed a couple of games) pushed the Lakers to a hard fought 6 games.

The Lakers couldn't stop Billups on PnRs (the Lakers achilles) & their "pack in the paint" strategy didn't work b/c he was an elite shooter. They were able to defend Shaq 1-on-1 without doubling (same w/ Kirby) so the role player couldn't get open looks. After Malone got injured, the Lakers also had no answer for Sheed on the block. Hamilton also forced Kirby to play defense which zapped his legs.

You're right about Malone. Still, they didn't go into Shaq nearly enough and that's why he left. Maybe the Pistons could have beaten the Lakers in an upset but there's no way they should have won a 5-0 sweep (because Kobe rescued the Lakers in Game 2 when it was basically over). It's cheap to say this but the officiating was also awful, though I won't shed any tears over the Lakers getting the short end of the stick there when they were gifted the 2002 Western Conference Finals versus the Kings.