PDA

View Full Version : So, the Spurs are now tied w/ the '98 Bulls for gut wrenching postseason losses

Kawhitstorm
05-04-2016, 01:45 AM
San Antonio has lost each of its last six playoff games decided by three or fewer points, dating back to Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals against the Heat. Only two other teams in the last 20 years lost six consecutive playoff games of this type; the Bulls lost six straight, all coming in the 1998 playoffs (every one of their playoffs losses in 1998 was decided by three or fewer points), and the Mavs also lost six in a row spanning games from May 2006 to May 2009.

Arcadian
05-04-2016, 01:47 AM
Good company.

BillMc
05-04-2016, 01:56 AM
Good company.

This. Our last substantial deficit loss was probably Game 4 or Game 2 of the '13 Miami series.

midnightpulp
05-04-2016, 02:12 AM
Spurs doing what they do best (other than winning titles).

And we touched upon the Spurs seemingly underwhelming ability to win close playoff games against contenders in another thread. As I said:

It's amazing the Spurs have the 5 titles they do considering how many, or lackthereof, key playoff games they've "stolen." The contrast here were the Lakers, who always pulled wins from the jaws of defeat somehow. Spurs title wins have always been rather dominant runs with few "steals."

The only games we stole were game 5 of the 2005 Finals and Game 6 of the 2003 WCF, when Kerr brought us back from 12 down in the 4th. But that Mavericks team, with or without Dirk, was terrible defensively, so it wasn't surprising we were able to charge back. And we stole a few against the Suns, but it's the Suns :lol

Meanwhile, we've been on the receiving end of:

2002 Lakers coming back in every 4th quarter (we held a 4th quarter lead in all games, and the series still went only 5 games).
The Manu on Dirk foul.
Blew a 20 point 3rd quarter lead in game 1 of the 2008 WCF. Blew an 18 point lead in game 5 of that same series.
Blew an 18 point lead in game 6 of the 2012 WCF. Was also the second time the Spurs have been backdoor swept in the Pop/Duncan era.
Game 7 in last season's first round. Spurs had multiple late leads in the 4th and couldn't fuckin' close.

I think the differences here vis a vis a team like the Lakers was that Phil wasn't afraid to play Kobe 48 minutes and Shaq 43-45 minutes. And I think Shaq has a few 48 minute playoff games. Pop is obsessed and/or overly concerned with player stamina or just has a massive ego and wants to prove that one of his "clever" Frankenstein rotations will pay off and make him look like a genius. He killed the 2013 title with that shitty rotation to start the 4th. He played Udoka more minutes than Bowen in the '08 WCF. Played Gary Neal way too many fuckin' minutes in the 2012 WCF. Sat Manu in game 1 of the 2011 1st round. And of course, didn't have Kawhi let it all hang out last night (36 minutes WTF?) and killed the momentum we ended the 3rd on by shuffling out one of the worst lineups imaginable.

Training is better than ever. There's 500 TV timeouts per game in the playoffs. There is no excuse to not play your best players 40 plus minutes per game.

I'd be willing to bet that the Spurs have more close losses (decided -5 or fewer) than close wins against contending teams in the Pop era.

Spurtacular
05-04-2016, 03:11 AM
Last close game in the playoffs I remember the Spurs winning was 2014 OKC Game 6. Actually, I think Game 2 of the Clips series was a close victory.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-04-2016, 03:21 AM
This. Our last substantial deficit loss was probably Game 4 or Game 2 of the '13 Miami series.

Mavs put it on us in game 2 2014, we also lost by double digits vs OKC in games 3 and 4 2014 (although game 3 was one of the most rigged games I have seen officiating wise; NBA playoff record for largest free throw disparity in a quarter and Mills called for an offensive foul on a made 3 pointer)

BillMc
05-04-2016, 03:25 AM
Mavs put it on us in game 2 2014, we also lost by double digits vs OKC in games 3 and 4 2014 (although game 3 was one of the most rigged games I have seen officiating wise; NBA playoff record for largest free throw disparity in a quarter and Mills called for an offensive foul on a made 3 pointer)

Yeah, you're right. Not sure where my mind was in that post. Guess I got thinkin' about the Heat series.

Kawhitstorm
05-04-2016, 04:42 AM
Last close game in the playoffs I remember the Spurs winning was 2014 OKC Game 6. Actually, I think Game 2 of the Clips series was a close victory.

Actually, Gm 1 of the 2014 Finals was a close game but the final score was indicative of it since the Spurs went on a 16-3 run thanks to a couple of "Tar Heel Triples" after LeCramp left the game at the 4 minute mark.:lol

Kawhitstorm
05-04-2016, 04:49 AM
Spurs doing what they do best (other than winning titles).

I'd be willing to bet that the Spurs have more close losses (decided -5 or fewer) than close wins against contending teams in the Pop era.

Meanwhile, the Heat:

The Heat are now 9-1 all-time in playoff overtime games. Its .900 winning percentage is the highest among the 27 NBA teams that have played in at least three overtime playoff games.

Seventyniner
05-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Meh, I don't think this has any real significance. The Spurs won game 2 against the Clippers in OT and any OT game counts as a close game. And Griffin missed a shot at the buzzer that could have cut the Spurs' final margin to 2 in game 5. If he makes that, nothing really changes but this stat goes out the window.

hater
05-04-2016, 08:03 AM
It's pretty simple. Last clutch player we had was Belinelli. Parker is still pretty clutch and that's about it.

Hopefully Lamarcus can be that clutch superstar for us because we know Kawhi ain't.

Spurtacular
05-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Actually, Gm 1 of the 2014 Finals was a close game but the final score was indicative of it since the Spurs went on a 16-3 run thanks to a couple of "Tar Heel Triples" after LeCramp left the game at the 4 minute mark.:lol

That would've been close if LBJ wasn't selling drama.

SPURt
05-04-2016, 11:45 AM
I hope our second round mirrors the 98 Bulls. They lost at home by 2 in game 2 then won the rest of the games. Though this OKC team would rape that Hornets team. Westbrook/Durant would eat David Wesley/BJ Armstrong alive.

Kawhitstorm
05-05-2016, 03:49 AM
I hope our second round mirrors the 98 Bulls. They lost at home by 2 in game 2 then won the rest of the games. Though this OKC team would rape that Hornets team. Westbrook/Durant would eat David Wesley/BJ Armstrong alive.

Although they would have had no answers for WB, Divac would have dropped 40 on Ibaka & Anthony Mason would have punked Durant.:lol (Rice could have outplayed Durant just like 37 year old Dirk)

SPURt
05-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Although they would have had no answers for WB, Divac would have dropped 40 on Ibaka & Anthony Mason would have punked Durant.:lol (Rice could have outplayed Durant just like 37 year old Dirk)
I guess it depends on if they are using 2016 or 1998 rules. It'd be interesting to have a throw back season and play by mid 90's rules to see what would happen.

TheDoctor
05-05-2016, 09:42 AM
San Antonio has lost each of its last six playoff games decided by three or fewer points, dating back to Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals against the Heat. Only two other teams in the last 20 years lost six consecutive playoff games of this type; the Bulls lost six straight, all coming in the 1998 playoffs (every one of their playoffs losses in 1998 was decided by three or fewer points), and the Mavs also lost six in a row spanning games from May 2006 to May 2009.

In short, it's bad for your emotional/heart health to be a Spurs fan.

cjw
05-05-2016, 09:45 AM

On that point, when people talk about victories / losses by X margin or less, OT games should all be included in that number.