PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Horrible trend in Hoops

lebomb
05-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Starting with youth and AAU basketball, I do not see anyone playing defense much anymore. I just watched film of several players being offered scholarships to D-1 colleges in basketball, and in most of the films none of the opposing teams were playing ANY defense. Maybe Im ol school, but we used to D-up on your ass and make it difficult for you to score. Now matador defense is being seen as OK. Everyone drives and gets to the basket and has wide open jumpers 80% of the time. WTF is going on? Is this what is seen as OK in basketball now? Just play offense, and dont guard anyone on defense? I see it more in the college game and all the dayum time in the NBA. Harden ball is becoming the norm, unless you have an ol school coach like Pop. :claw

UZER
05-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Chicks dig the long ball.

DMC
05-04-2016, 07:51 AM
It used to be a guys trying to beat the other guys, which drew a crowd. Now it's all the guys trying to entertain the onlookers.

whitemamba
05-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Starting with youth and AAU basketball, I do not see anyone playing defense much anymore. I just watched film of several players being offered scholarships to D-1 colleges in basketball, and in most of the films none of the opposing teams were playing ANY defense. Maybe Im ol school, but we used to D-up on your ass and make it difficult for you to score. Now matador defense is being seen as OK. Everyone drives and gets to the basket and has wide open jumpers 80% of the time. WTF is going on? Is this what is seen as OK in basketball now? Just play offense, and dont guard anyone on defense? I see it more in the college game and all the dayum time in the NBA. Harden ball is becoming the norm, unless you have an ol school coach like Pop. :claw

its really all about coaching, look at the warriors, everyone plays D.

lebomb
05-04-2016, 03:25 PM
its really all about coaching, look at the warriors, everyone plays D.

True, but what system did Kerr come from? Spurs and Pop. Ol school thinking still. Im talking about the new generation coming up. Take a look at some AAU footage, or highschool games. Its starting even before that level. All offense, and no defense.

UZER
05-04-2016, 03:31 PM
True, but what system did Kerr come from? Spurs and Pop. Ol school thinking still. Im talking about the new generation coming up. Take a look at some AAU footage, or highschool games. Its starting even before that level. All offense, and no defense.

Because nobody wants to get "embarrassed" on D anymore and it get blasted around the world on social media, so they half ass it so it looks like they weren't trying that hard.

They're so emotionally sensitive that they can't handle really trying hard and still getting schooled, much less doing it over and over again getting beat.
Instead they spend that energy making hand signals like stirring the pot.

Caltex2
05-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Some of our younger fans don't want to hear it but we've seen a gradual devolution of the game since the 3-point shot was introduced. That predates me but it's been noticeable and gradual since I tuned in during the early 90's. It used to be that players wanted to emulate fundamentally sound players like Magic as well as at least a few legit big men being produced often but things really went downhill with Jordan and farther downhill with players like Marbury and Iverson.

Now it's about being splashy and not about the love of the game or playing smart.

Raven
05-04-2016, 03:36 PM
the trend is actually the opposite.. guys like nash, kirby and stoudemire were stars in the past era..

Arcadian
05-04-2016, 03:37 PM

Damn really? I always try to play hard defense even in casual pickup games. It's a simple game: put the ball in the basket, and prevent the other guy from doing so. Why would you ignore half the game? Lol.

Killakobe81
05-04-2016, 03:38 PM
AAU is a problem but to me twhen I used to coach AAU the And 1 mixtape tour or whatever the hell it's called started the downfall.

I do think and 1 helped kids focus on ballhandling ...but it also built that culture of style over substance and kids not wanting to get crossed up

daslicer
05-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Some of our younger fans don't want to hear it but we've seen a gradual devolution of the game since the 3-point shot was introduced. That predates me but it's been noticeable and gradual since I tuned in during the early 90's. It used to be that players wanted to emulate fundamentally sound players like Magic as well as at least a few legit big men being produced often but things really went downhill with Jordan and farther downhill with players like Marbury and Iverson.

Now it's about being splashy and not about the love of the game or playing smart.

I play pickup games a few times a week and have noticed young kids now jacking up 3's moreso than ever before. I even see kids taking stupid shots from around half court. I call that the Curry effect.

lebomb
05-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Wow.........I see a lot of yall do see what Im seeing. I played ball and coached AAU as well. Its just gone south like yall said. Its all about breakin ankles, jackin up the 3 and throwin 3 fingers in the air if it goes in. Noone gets back anymore, matador defense at best. The game is starting to suck in my humble opinion. Maybe once teams that dont D-up start losing their ass in games, the game will evolve back to being played on BOTH ends of the court.

FYI..... I watched youtube highlights of a HS player that got a D1 scholarship for next year. This guy basically was given a free pass through the lane time after time. Defenders just reached out a little bit and watched him roll to the hoop. On 3 pt shots, they didnt even contend him. They just let his ass shoot. *shakes my head*

HarlemHeat37
05-04-2016, 04:35 PM
:lmao AARP meeting in this thread, tbh..

Caltex2
05-04-2016, 04:39 PM
the trend is actually the opposite.. guys like nash, kirby and stoudemire were stars in the past era..

Who do you think Kirby was influenced by? Hint, the guy is probably the best player to ever touch a basketball and possibly set up his father because of gambling debts.

Nash has some impact but come on, what player on the plaground in Harlem, Watts, the Southside, 3rd Ward, West Philly or Bankhead is growing up wanting to be like Nash? Amare? LOL!!! That's a good one.

Players now days want to be that flasy 2 or 3 that scores abundantly, gets shots and gets the shoe endorsement or at least highlights on SportsCenter. There used to be at least 10 solid big men at any given time, now only Kin Folk, Unibrow, Verbal Contract breacher and Howard are of that traditional mold. And of course Howard is over the hill.

lebomb
05-04-2016, 04:43 PM
My point is if someone actually plays tough defense on a player, he wouldnt score nearly as much or as often. Shit!!! That sentence actually made sense and was "Captain Obvious" in nature. :claw

05-04-2016, 04:44 PM
:lol

Killakobe81
05-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Im not that old ...:depressed
And I already gave praise to the increased ball handling and I dont even mind the 3 pointers ... but increased 3's I actually blame "2K" more than Curry, tbh
In games like 2k and Madden kids are used to going for it on 4th down playing no huddle spread offense all day.
In 2k, everyone shoots 3's or dunks and spends the game doing iso moves.
How does that not creep in to hoops?

I play both games I dont knock them they are fun but they have influenced the way my kids look at hoops ...

Killakobe81
05-04-2016, 04:57 PM
Going back to the OP defense requires a true confidence (AAU has plenty) humility (ha!) and sacrifice and those last two things are in short supply.

I used to get crossed from time to time but I wanted to be like GP if you play defense like that you will get shook, you will fall from time to time ...not many AAU kids are OK with that.

lebomb
05-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Going back to the OP defense requires a true confidence (AAU has plenty) humility (ha!) and sacrifice and those last two things are in short supply.

I used to get crossed from time to time but I wanted to be like GP if you play defense like that you will get shook, you will fall from time to time ...not many AAU kids are OK with that.

Whats worse? Getting crossed and falling once or twice, or having your opponent drop 38pts on you? Apparently the former with these kids.

UZER
05-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Whats worse? Getting crossed and falling once or twice, or having your opponent drop 38pts on you? Apparently the former with these kids.

They have no heart. It's all just about getting their buckets now.

dg7md
05-05-2016, 02:43 AM
Every era has its own style of play, eventually the league will go back to a harder, grittier game maybe when some new defensive faces get drafted. If the league ever gets more dominating big men then I can see defense being a more valued concept. Right now, it's all three ball all the time until that loses.

lefty
05-05-2016, 01:11 PM
:lmao Today's NBA
:lmao Curry would be Steve Kerr in the 80's

SpursforSix
05-05-2016, 01:23 PM

meh. When we play pickup games, if someone crosses me, I just stop the game and call traveling or a carry. or a pushoff if there is contact.

Caltex2
05-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Every era has its own style of play, eventually the league will go back to a harder, grittier game maybe when some new defensive faces get drafted. If the league ever gets more dominating big men then I can see defense being a more valued concept. Right now, it's all three ball all the time until that loses.

I'm almost surprised the NBA hasn't created a 4-point spot or made a shot from beyond half court a 4-point shot. We'd then see the game change that much more.