PDA

View Full Version : mysa McDonald: How Spurs' free-agency run at Kevin Durant might work

south side spur
05-07-2016, 05:11 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/amp/How-Spurs-free-agency-run-at-Kevin-Durant-might-7401659.php?client=safari#
OKLAHOMA CITY — This just in: The Spurs are interested in making a run at the hottest free agent on the market this summer. This is not exactly breaking news. In fact, it sounds like old news.
The Spurs, after all, made a successful pitch to LaMarcus Aldridge last July.

This year's target would be Kevin Durant, who for now is playing for Oklahoma City and against the Spurs in the Western Conference semifinals.

No doubt discussions have already begun among the Spurs' brain trust about the salary cap machinations that must be made to make Durant — or any other high-profile free agent — a maximum contract offer. Durant didn't do much to quell the KD-to-Spurs rumor swirl before the start of the series, when he unleashed an unprompted ode to Gregg Popovich
(This is the part where we remind everyone all of the below is based on a hypothetical — IF and only IF Durant decides to leave OKC after his contract expires this summer).
Now that we've cleared that up ...
Here are the basics of the math involved for the Spurs: The team is committed to about $73.6 million in guaranteed salary next year, due seven players (Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard, Tony Parker, Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills and Kyle Anderson). The salary cap is projected to skyrocket to around $92 million by some estimation, which works in the Spurs' favor here. A max contract for a player of Durant's tenure (nine seasons) could earn a maximum of $27.6 million next season based on that cap figure.

A bit of subtraction reveals the gulf the Spurs must cross. They will need to find about $9.2 million additional cap space to make a credible offer to Durant. It can be done, though the task gets more complicated if any of Tim Duncan ($5.5 million), Manu Ginobili ($2.9 million) or David West ($1.55 million) opt to exercise player options for next season. Jonathon Simmons has a team option for a little more than $874,000.
Assuming Duncan and Ginobili retire — or opt out and re-sign on veteran minimum deals that won't count against the Spurs' cap space– $9.2 million seems to be the number the Spurs are working with in this scenario.
There are two obvious avenues for getting there, though the Spurs' resident geniuses in the front office likely have plotted some that are less obvious. If the Spurs could find a trade partner to absorb Danny Green's $10 million next season (and two more seasons after that), it would appear to do the trick without gutting the rest of the roster. The Spurs might also explore dealing the combination of Boris Diaw (due $6.5 million next season) and Patty Mills (due $3.5 million) to arrive at the same savings.

It is far too early for Spurs fans to line up to buy No. 35 jerseys in silver and black. The salary cap gymnastics required for the Spurs to make that dream scenario happen, however, are less complicated than one might think.

Horry Hipcheck
05-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm not a fan of any scenario that involves giving the best transition defender in the league to another team.

cd98
05-07-2016, 05:32 PM
I'm not a fan of any scenario that involves giving the best transition defender in the league to another team.

Joking, right? We'd all trade Danny Green for Durrant in half a second.

Robz4000
05-07-2016, 05:38 PM
I'd much rather keep Green while adding Durant tbh.

Leetonidas
05-07-2016, 05:39 PM

definitely. I mean green, diaw, and mills are all good players but imo if the Spurs legit have an opportunity to put KD/KL/LMA on the same team you do it and worry about everything else later.

spurraider21
05-07-2016, 05:44 PM
I'd much rather keep Green while adding Durant tbh.
i'd rather get lebron james while keeping green and adding durant tbh

Robz4000
05-07-2016, 05:46 PM
i'd rather get lebron james while keeping green and adding durant tbh

Can we trade Porker for Steph Curry as well? Maybe throw in Bonner as a sweetener to get Raymond.

DAF86
05-07-2016, 05:51 PM
I'd rather move Tony than Danny, tbh. Or even better, reconstruct Tony's contract. Instead of paying him 15 mil per year the next two years. Pay him 8 per year for the next 4, or something like that. Didn't we do this with Jefferson?

spurraider21
05-07-2016, 05:53 PM
lmao guys... its incredibly obvious that it would be more beneficial to move tony than to move green. tony gets paid more, does less, and is declining. this isn't groundbreaking stuff :lol...

the issue is that moving parker would be incredibly difficult for those exact reasons

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Dominos would be such a coward if he joins the best franchise in the NBA, tbh:lol

Forever a loser, wants to be treated like a superstar..

Robz4000
05-07-2016, 05:54 PM
I'd rather move Tony than Danny, tbh. Or even better, reconstruct Tony's contract. Instead of paying him 15 mil per year the next two years. Pay him 8 per year for the next 4, or something like that. Didn't we do this with Jefferson?

Was gonna say the same thing. Only problem is if that happens then Diaw is the one getting moved and I'm not sure Tony would take that well.

Leetonidas
05-07-2016, 05:56 PM
there is no restructuring of contracts. idk who made this myth up but opting out and resigning for more years at less pay per is not the same as restructuring a deal

Robz4000
05-07-2016, 05:56 PM
lmao guys... its incredibly obvious that it would be more beneficial to move tony than to move green. tony gets paid more, does less, and is declining. this isn't groundbreaking stuff :lol...

the issue is that moving parker would be incredibly difficult for those exact reasons

There are plenty of GMs dumb enough to take him; Phil and Divac right off the top of my head. Spurs could prolly get a first round pick out if either too.

Robz4000
05-07-2016, 05:57 PM
there is no restructuring of contracts. idk who made this myth up but opting out and resigning for more years at less pay per is not the same as restructuring a deal

Didn't know HWSNBN opted out tbh. Shows how much I gave a shit about him.

Horry Hipcheck
05-07-2016, 05:58 PM

No. Green offers too much defensively and he's invested in Pop's system. Replacing him with a skill shooter at a position they technically don't need more depth at sounds like a net loss to me. I'd take Durant, but not at the expense of Danny.

spurraider21
05-07-2016, 05:59 PM
:lol "skill shooter"

if we were literally swapping green for durant that's a ridiculously obvious no brainer. it's like taking aldridge in place of splitter. but the situation looks like we'd have to lose a lot more than just green to make it work

Darius Bieber
05-07-2016, 06:01 PM
If this shit somehow happens, Spurs would win by default.. All the other teams besides the Warriors would forfeit.. :lol

Horry Hipcheck
05-07-2016, 06:01 PM
:lol "skill shooter"

He's declined, to be sure. He's also a product of an offensive system that isn't a system, he and Westbrook just take turns chucking shots. Put him into a system that finds him the ball in better position and I'd wager his efficiency would go up.

spurraider21
05-07-2016, 06:04 PM
He's declined, to be sure. He's also a product of an offensive system that isn't a system, he and Westbrook just take turns chucking shots. Put him into a system that finds him the ball in better position and I'd wager his efficiency would go up.
then what are you arguing? one second ago you wouldn't trade green for durant and now you're talking about how much better durant would be on the spurs

sasaint
05-07-2016, 06:04 PM

Guys thinking the NBA is the same as the NFL, tbh.

Horry Hipcheck
05-07-2016, 06:06 PM
then what are you arguing? one second ago you wouldn't trade green for durant and now you're talking about how much better durant would be on the spurs

Where's the confusion? I'd take Durant, not at the expense of Danny. I think Durant would shoot better playing for the Spurs, though obviously quite a bit less, but I wouldn't take his offense at the sacrifice of Green's defense. I said that.

sasaint
05-07-2016, 06:08 PM
There are plenty of GMs dumb enough to take him; Phil and Divac right off the top of my head. Spurs could prolly get a first round pick out if either too.

With Ish Smith as the starting PG and a bunch of adolescent bigs, Philly might value a veteran PG with Tony's championship pedigree.

spurraider21
05-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Where's the confusion? I'd take Durant, not at the expense of Danny. I think Durant would shoot better playing for the Spurs, though obviously quite a bit less, but I wouldn't take his offense at the sacrifice of Green's defense. I said that.
so you would take current green over a durant with increased efficiency?

Horry Hipcheck
05-07-2016, 06:16 PM

The loss of transition defense and usually solid three point shooting isn't outweighed by being stacked at a position the Spurs are already fine at. To me. Move some other pieces, maybe Duncan and Manu are gone or resign for vet minimums? Then by all means, hurl money at KD.

spurraider21
05-07-2016, 06:23 PM
we also lost defense when we gave up splitter to land aldridge. we also gave up depth in baynes/joseph. and it has still paid off. you don't pass on the opportunity to get stars in their prime :lol... especially one of durant's caliber. you just don't

that said, i dont think he'd come to san antonio... but it shouldn't be for a lack of the spurs trying

Emperor
05-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Was gonna say the same thing. Only problem is if that happens then Diaw is the one getting moved and I'm not sure Tony would take that well.

Well then he can join him so we can add Conley to the squad.

south side spur
05-07-2016, 06:27 PM
With Ish Smith as the starting PG and a bunch of adolescent bigs, Philly might value a veteran PG with Tony's championship pedigree.

That would be ideal and would also make sense for the Sixers. However, isn't that the ultimate fuck you to Parker? Of course it works out perfectly for the Spurs but not exactly the ride into the sunset that Parker would want. Going from first to worst he might just say fuck y'all and retire which obviously would also workout beautifully for the Spurs. It's not like Parker wasn't the subject of annual trade talk around the deadline in years past. Just a sour note to an otherwise all time Spurs great's career. It is a business we all realize that it's just not the way the Spurs do business at least not recently. Some of the older heads might compare this to trading Gervin? I wouldn't know.

Keepin' it real
05-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm afraid fragile-minded Green will let these rumors affect his play the more serious they get.

ducks
05-07-2016, 06:32 PM
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/07/kevin-durant-on-spurs-david-west-money-isnt-everything/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

thiste
05-07-2016, 06:34 PM
definitely. I mean green, diaw, and mills are all good players but imo if the Spurs legit have an opportunity to put KD/KL/LMA on the same team you do it and worry about everything else later.

Well, that's what other teams do. The Spurs are smarter than that.

sasaint
05-07-2016, 06:46 PM
That would be ideal and would also make sense for the Sixers. However, isn't that the ultimate fuck you to Parker? Of course it works out perfectly for the Spurs but not exactly the ride into the sunset that Parker would want. Going from first to worst he might just say fuck y'all and retire which obviously would also workout beautifully for the Spurs. It's not like Parker wasn't the subject of annual trade talk around the deadline in years past. Just a sour note to an otherwise all time Spurs great's career. It is a business we all realize that it's just not the way the Spurs do business at least not recently. Some of the older heads might compare this to trading Gervin? I wouldn't know.

I admit, that is a nasty scenario from Tony's perspective. Not sure that the Spurs would do that to him. On the other hand, doesn't loyalty to team trump loyalty to any individual player?

Besides, Robz was talking about sending him to Sactown! Isn't that worse? Although, if Rondo bolts, which seems probable, then Sactown might also value a PG with Tony's pedigree.

south side spur
05-07-2016, 07:03 PM
I admit, that is a nasty scenario from Tony's perspective. Not sure that the Spurs would do that to him. On the other hand, doesn't loyalty to team trump loyalty to any individual player?

Besides, Robz was talking about sending him to Sactown! Isn't that worse? Although, if Rondo bolts, which seems probable, then Sactown might also value a PG with Tony's pedigree.

Don't get me wrong, if I was RC and Pop I'd make that move without any concern. It's not like trading Duncan or Ginobili who are revered by Spurs fans. Parker isn't viewed in the same light which might make it easier to accept. Why he doesn't get the same admiration I'll never know and don't anyone bring up Erin Barry she was already gone Barry couldn't handle his ho it happens to the best of us. Parker and Crazy Eva were done as well so only bitchasses would have an issue with what happened. Stone throwers who aren't happy with how their own life turned out. Probably manic depressives

SpursforSix
05-07-2016, 07:09 PM

IMO, the Spurs already showed TP $45,0000,000 worth of loyalty. They don't need to further exacerbate the situation by keeping him around at the expense of the team. Assuming they'd have a taker for him.

sasaint
05-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, if I was RC and Pop I'd make that move without any concern. It's not like trading Duncan or Ginobili who are revered by Spurs fans. Parker isn't viewed in the same light which might make it easier to accept. Why he doesn't get the same admiration I'll never know and don't anyone bring up Erin Barry she was already gone Barry couldn't handle his ho it happens to the best of us. Parker and Crazy Eva were done as well so only bitchasses would have an issue with what happened. Stone throwers who aren't happy with how their own life turned out. Probably manic depressives

Most posters do not place Tony on quite as high a pedestal as Tim and Manu, because Tim and Manu played on bargain contracts as they declined. And neither one has expressed the desire to play beyond his utility to the team. By contrast, Tony's contract overpays him pretty substantially PLUS he has expressed the desire to play for 20 years with the Spurs.

My other thought about Tony is: it might be possible for him to become the sixth man and recapture much of his effectiveness as a spark off the bench playing primarily against opponents' second units.

tholdren
05-07-2016, 07:26 PM
I hate danny, but I don't know if I would. Leonard would be third option which would be great, but it totally changes the dynamic of the team.

dabom
05-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Can players take less than the max? Max players know they need to take less to keep the structure of your new team. You don't want to gut the main parts. Losing Patty mills on a very very cheap contract is fucking stupid.

south side spur
05-07-2016, 07:30 PM
I understand the contract but it wasn't signed at the same point in his career as Duncan or Ginobili. They had already declined when they took paycuts and Parker was still performing at a high level. He didn't start declining until 2014. As horrific as Ginobili's 2013 Finals went he should've paid back millions to the Spurs. But Ginobili could get away with that and still be loved. He made up for it 2014 but the 2013 Finals was the worst performance by a Spur I can recall so he knew he couldn't demand the same pay.

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
:lol I'm one of the biggest Danny fans here and one of the biggest Durant haters on the internet, but of course it would be a no-brainer..

I highly doubt he's coming, though..players of that magnitude care about their reputation and legacy..remember how much silly criticism Lebron got from his "peers" for not "doing it on his own", and he joined a franchise that was far less decorated than the Spurs..

Dominos is one of the most media-protected stars we have ever seen, though, maybe they would continue giving him passes:lol

Chinook
05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm afraid fragile-minded Green will let these rumors affect his play the more serious they get.

There's no evidence Green is fragile-minded. Seriously, the dude was Pop's whipping boy for five years and then took a discount to sign up for four more years of it.

Why are people making threads about all these articles? They are literally just saying the same thing over and over. This is math. No one's going come up with anything new unless we hear the cap projections are going to change.

dabom
05-07-2016, 07:35 PM
We traded Hill. We will trade Parker to the hawks.

dabom
05-07-2016, 07:35 PM
He can Tissot for I care. :lol

dabom
05-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Like some poster said. He already got his legacy checks and won tons of rings. The Spurs already did their part by him.

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2016, 07:38 PM
He should go to Boston, tbh..they have a great coach and it's a big market..he could also avoid the Warriors until the Finals..

south side spur
05-07-2016, 07:38 PM
You're seriously going to compare Hill with Parker?

Chinook
05-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Ugh, and not to mention that this particular article was also very poorly researched. Durant at $27.6 Million, not counting roster charges or the $4 Million in pick holds. Saying Simmons has an option. Just awful. And it has a dateline like it's a serious article.

baseline bum
05-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Durant's max salary would actually start at $26.0 million due to a technicality in how the cap is calculated for the purposes of maximum salaries:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

They use a different cap calculation to determine the maximum salaries, which is based on 42.14% of projected BRI rather than 44.74%. In 2005 the sides negotiated a different formula for setting the salary cap but not maximum salaries, so the two became decoupled, and this continued in the 2011 agreement. For this reason the maximum salaries are not actually 25%, 30% or 35% of the cap, and instead are a slightly lower amount. For example, even though the salary cap for 2011-12 is $58.044 million and 25% of this amount is $14.511 million, the 0-6 year maximum salary is actually $12,922,194. In addition, for 2012-13 a 5.8% increase in maximum salaries was agreed to, even though the salary cap stayed the same as 2011-12.

So it would look like this:
Aldridge: $20.575M
Leonard: $17.638M
Parker: $14.445M
Green: $10.000M
Mills: $3.200M
Diaw: $3.000M guaranteed if waived
Cap hold for 7 roster spots under 12: $3.804M

TOTAL: $72.662M
CAP SPACE: $19.338M

The Spurs would need to come up with about $6.662M to fit Durant in, counting the extra cap hold for one player being salary dumped. They could actually come extremely close to making Durant a max offer if they could find someone to take Diaw + Mills in a salary dump.

Cap hold for 8 roster spots under 12: $4.348M

TOTAL: $67.006M
CAP SPACE: $24.994M

They would be $1M short of offering Durant a max deal. I think he'd take the paycut if he really wanted to come. Spurs would lose Duncan, Ginobili, Diaw, West, Mills, Marjonovic but could still bring Bonner back.

Robz4000
05-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Durant's max salary would actually start at $26.0 million due to a technicality in how the cap is calculated for the purposes of maximum salaries:

So it would look like this:
Mills: $3.200M
Diaw: $3.000M guaranteed if waived
Cap hold for 7 roster spots under 12: $3.804M

TOTAL: $72.662M
CAP SPACE: $19.338M

The Spurs would need to come up with about $6.662M to fit Durant in, counting the extra cap hold for one player being salary dumped. They could actually come extremely close to making Durant a max offer if they could find someone to take Diaw + Mills in a salary dump.

Cap hold for 8 roster spots under 12: $4.348M

TOTAL: $67.006M
CAP SPACE: $24.994M

They would be $1M short of offering Durant a max deal. I think he'd take the paycut if he really wanted to come. Spurs would lose Duncan, Ginobili, Diaw, West, Mills, Marjonovic but could still bring Bonner back.

Sounds like a done deal then.

Chinook
05-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Ew, no. Just trade Parker. Could have Mills and like three other guys for that money.

Keepin' it real
05-07-2016, 07:55 PM
There's no evidence Green is fragile-minded.

Games 6 and 7 NBA finals 2013 are damning evidence of his mental fragility. You can choose to ignore the evidence if you wish.

Chinook
05-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Games 6 and 7 NBA finals 2013 are damning evidence of his mental fragility. You can choose to ignore the evidence if you wish.

No, it's evidence of shooting poorly. You have plenty of other examples of him stepping up in critical games. It's absurd that you think the first five games of the Finals are somehow not a high-pressure situation.

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Ew, no. Just trade Parker. Could have Mills and like three other guys for that money.

Do you actually believe the Spurs would ever trade Parker, though? Pop isn't Belichick, tbh..

Mugen
05-07-2016, 08:12 PM
I mean, you don't say No if Pizza Face wants to come...

But man, I'm not sure if I want him to be a Spur. This shit is Kawhi's team tbh.

SpursforSix
05-07-2016, 08:13 PM

We need a true distributor for a PG I'd Durant is added. And I don't know they'd have any money to get a decent one that can play decent defense.

Chinook
05-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Do you actually believe the Spurs would ever trade Parker, though? Pop isn't Belichick, tbh..

This is unprecedented. Don't see them pursuing KD, at all, but if they do, they will be more open to moving players than ever before, and I don't think sentimentality is going to be their main criterion.

NASpurs
05-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Man...trading Parker would solve so many things in this situation and we would get to keep Danny in the process plus have like $8 million to fill in the roster.

http://i.imgur.com/OKepHAA.gif

rasuo214
05-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Horford and Conley are also FA possibilities, if they were each willing to sign for 17 mil a year (Parker would need to be traded) I'd rather sign those 2 than KD.

Conley/Green/Kawhi/Aldridge/Horford

100%duncan
05-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Man...trading Parker would solve so many things in this situation and we would get to keep Danny in the process plus have like $8 million to fill in the roster.

http://i.imgur.com/OKepHAA.gif

:lol

100%duncan
05-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Btw As much as Ive shat on TP, I dont feel like throwing him into dirt tbh. Feels very unspurlike as cliche as it may sound, same goes for danny

south side spur
05-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Horford and Conley are also FA possibilities, if they were each willing to sign for 17 mil a year (Parker would need to be traded) I'd rather sign those 2 than KD.

Conley/Green/Kawhi/Aldridge/Horford

Conley is the only player in the league who has worse ankles than Curry and Horford's shoulder isn't much better. I know Durant has a bad wheel but so far it's holding up.

Russ
05-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Do the Spurs allow guys to play in T-shirts?

TheGreatYacht
05-07-2016, 09:26 PM
People are arguing if giving up Danny for Kevin Durant is worth it :lol

Just when ST hit rock bottom last year arguing if Aldridge was worth giving up :cry Splitter's screens/D :cry ... Y'all hit me with this

TheGreatYacht
05-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Most posters do not place Tony on quite as high a pedestal as Tim and Manu, because Tim and Manu played on bargain contracts as they declined. And neither one has expressed the desire to play beyond his utility to the team. By contrast, Tony's contract overpays him pretty substantially PLUS he has expressed the desire to play for 20 years with the Spurs.
What bro? Ginobili earned $14,000,000 the year he had 8 turnovers... Then the Spurs rewarded him with a pretty big 2yr/14M contract

What pay cuts? This year is his first pay cut tbh :lol

Parker was severely underpaid in his prime and Spurs returned the favor.

Kikoluna
05-07-2016, 10:07 PM
He should go to Boston, tbh..they have a great coach and it's a big market..he could also avoid the Warriors until the Finals..

Great coach? Man you are drinking the esp Kool aid.

Spurs9
05-07-2016, 10:12 PM
People are arguing if giving up Danny for Kevin Durant is worth it :lol

Just when ST hit rock bottom last year arguing if Aldridge was worth giving up :cry Splitter's screens/D :cry ... Y'all hit me with this

Hoops Czar
05-07-2016, 10:27 PM
No. Green offers too much defensively and he's invested in Pop's system. Replacing him with a skill shooter at a position they technically don't need more depth at sounds like a net loss to me. I'd take Durant, but not at the expense of Danny.

Durant is 3rd among SF's in RPM and Win shares (more than doubling DG) and you would rather have Danny because he might block or alter a couple of shots in transition and he's invested in Pop's system? :lol Durant over Green would result in a net loss? :lol I haven't watched many Thunder games this year but, could you tell me how many times during the course of the season Durant's been benched for poor defense and ineptitude on offense? That numbers probably close to zero. Is this the real world? Overall, Danny is a nice defender but his man to man defense has been mediocre at best this year and his offensive skill seem to be eroding before our eyes. I do believe he's a much better fit for the Spurs than he would be for the vast majority of the other teams in the league but, the NBA is ultimately a business, not charity (Unless your name is Matt Bonner). He'll be 29 in June and if he's on the decline (in the same manner some think Ibaka is declining), the Spurs could sell high and get a useful piece/pick back in return. This is all a moot point of course because the Spurs rarely ever trade their own unless the player wants to be traded.

dbestpro
05-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Madness seems to run a muck in our country these days. If you can get Durant and all you have to is give up Green you do it every day seven days a week.

spurraider21
05-07-2016, 10:32 PM
yeah the green over durant stuff is homer nonsense

Leetonidas
05-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Really? so they didn't jettison their starting C for nothing in a salary dump to make room for a max contract? cmon son you're kidding yourself if you think the FO would pick green over durant

edit: this was supposed to be a quoted reply but my phone fucked it up :lol

Keepin' it real
05-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Madness seems to run a muck in our country these days. If you can get Durant and all you have to is give up Green you do it every day seven days a week.

B-b-but he plays great transition defense. :lol

intlspurshk
05-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Regardless of the cap room, does SPURS have the financial capability to pay 92 million?

AFBlue
05-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Regardless of the cap room, does SPURS have the financial capability to pay 92 million?

Yes.

AFBlue
05-07-2016, 11:28 PM
As for Durant, I would fully expect the Spurs to prep for Danny to be offloaded should KD become a legit possibility. Tony will retire in a Spurs uni. Anyone that thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

DMC
05-07-2016, 11:35 PM
B-b-but he plays great transition defense. :lol
He's supply and demand there. He's in position to defend largely because he just turned the ball over.

If KD goes to a team that's not currently a contender, Spurs gain by losing that OKC rivalry. If Durant goes East, he's not our problem any more. However, the league is going the way of up-tempo, transition offense and KD is well suited for that. Put him with LMA and KL and get a crafty PG that can pass and hit the 3 and you're looking at a different Spurs team. However, the Spurs even without Tim Duncan and Tony Parker are deep playoff level. We know Tim is basically done, he still has defense going for him but little else outside of team chemistry (which is underrated). I'd prefer to keep Manu and lose Tony and Tim, because Manu/KD/Aldridge/Leonard combo would be a juggernaut most nights. KD needs a wiling passer because he should have the ball in his hands most of the time. LMA cannot play a Serge role because he's too good of an outside shooter to be relegated to cleanup work.

So I don't see KD coming to SA. With the void in LA I could see him going there however. That would make him the face of the Lakers right away. That would be hard to resist as a guy who's been stuck in OKC for years.

Keepin' it real
05-07-2016, 11:36 PM
As for Durant, I would fully expect the Spurs to prep for Danny to be offloaded should KD become a legit possibility. Tony will retire in a Spurs uni. Anyone that thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

I agree. How could the Spurs get rid of a 4 time champion? Ain't happening.

And for the record, I don't even like Durant. But to think that in two years the Spurs could upgrade from Splitter and Green to LMA and KD. Goodness! Talk about a new Big 3.

TheDoctor
05-07-2016, 11:53 PM
LMAO Can't believe guys here would take Danny over Durant. :lmao

Transition defense? Shot blocking? Durant averaging an ultra efficient 18+pts combined with his ball handling/play making will shit on those Danny Green's attributes tbh. And that insane gravity? With Kawhi and LMA also demanding double teams? :wow

BillMc
05-08-2016, 12:00 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/amp/How-Spurs-free-agency-run-at-Kevin-Durant-might-7401659.php?client=safari#
OKLAHOMA CITY — This just in: The Spurs are interested in making a run at the hottest free agent on the market this summer. This is not exactly breaking news. In fact, it sounds like old news.
The Spurs, after all, made a successful pitch to LaMarcus Aldridge last July.

This year's target would be Kevin Durant, who for now is playing for Oklahoma City and against the Spurs in the Western Conference semifinals.

No doubt discussions have already begun among the Spurs' brain trust about the salary cap machinations that must be made to make Durant — or any other high-profile free agent — a maximum contract offer. Durant didn't do much to quell the KD-to-Spurs rumor swirl before the start of the series, when he unleashed an unprompted ode to Gregg Popovich
(This is the part where we remind everyone all of the below is based on a hypothetical — IF and only IF Durant decides to leave OKC after his contract expires this summer).
Now that we've cleared that up ...
Here are the basics of the math involved for the Spurs: The team is committed to about $73.6 million in guaranteed salary next year, due seven players (Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard, Tony Parker, Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills and Kyle Anderson). The salary cap is projected to skyrocket to around $92 million by some estimation, which works in the Spurs' favor here. A max contract for a player of Durant's tenure (nine seasons) could earn a maximum of $27.6 million next season based on that cap figure.

A bit of subtraction reveals the gulf the Spurs must cross. They will need to find about $9.2 million additional cap space to make a credible offer to Durant. It can be done, though the task gets more complicated if any of Tim Duncan ($5.5 million), Manu Ginobili ($2.9 million) or David West ($1.55 million) opt to exercise player options for next season. Jonathon Simmons has a team option for a little more than $874,000.
Assuming Duncan and Ginobili retire — or opt out and re-sign on veteran minimum deals that won't count against the Spurs' cap space– $9.2 million seems to be the number the Spurs are working with in this scenario.
There are two obvious avenues for getting there, though the Spurs' resident geniuses in the front office likely have plotted some that are less obvious. If the Spurs could find a trade partner to absorb Danny Green's $10 million next season (and two more seasons after that), it would appear to do the trick without gutting the rest of the roster. The Spurs might also explore dealing the combination of Boris Diaw (due $6.5 million next season) and Patty Mills (due $3.5 million) to arrive at the same savings.

It is far too early for Spurs fans to line up to buy No. 35 jerseys in silver and black. The salary cap gymnastics required for the Spurs to make that dream scenario happen, however, are less complicated than one might think.

Would rather get rid or Patty and Boris than Green, tbh. Yes, their loss would hurt our bench, but having Green, one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and perhaps the best transition defender, to couple with Kawhi, the 2 x DPOY, is a GREAT advantage we have. Just look at how we can guard Westbrook with Kawhi and Durant with Green in this very series.

It would also allow us to trot out a line up death: Tony, Danny, Kawhi, Durant, LMA. Good luck scoring on that, good luck trying to stop it from scoring. I trust RC to find other bench players. Which leaves our team set for a long time, with our only concerns being a point guard to replace Tony (eventually) and another big, a legit center.

rasuo214
05-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Conley is the only player in the league who has worse ankles than Curry and Horford's shoulder isn't much better. I know Durant has a bad wheel but so far it's holding up.

It's probably unlikely because the Grizz and Hawks would likely overpay to keep them but it would be just as good of a FA coup if not better than getting Durant.

midnightpulp
05-08-2016, 07:19 AM
If the unthinkable miracle happens, and the Spurs land the two biggest free agents in back-to-back years (first LMA and then KD), that "built not bought" slogan will be definitely mocked and we'll start hearing comparisons to other notorious title buyers, like the Yankees and Lakers. But I don't see that as an apt comparison, because the way the Spurs are attracting these free agents is much different than how big market teams attract free agents.

The Spurs aren't pitching movies, brand, Madison Avenue, hookers, blow, etc, etc, they're pitching basketball. And why is it they can get away with pitching basketball while other franchises have to show FAs power point presentations narrated by some washed up Hollywood star? Because of the way Pop and Co. have built this franchise over the past two decades, which has earned above and beyond respect from just about everyone associated with not just NBA basketball, but global basketball.

If the Spurs land KD (I don't think it happens. I do think KD wants to come here, but the fact we're playing his team right now just throws everything off), it would have been "earned," not just bought. You can't purchase the kind of rep the Spurs have meticulously assembled since Pop signed on the dotted line as the team's GM way back in '95.

Still "built."

100%duncan
05-08-2016, 07:27 AM
It's still bought but who gives a shit if you win championships while doing it.

houston spurs fan
05-08-2016, 07:36 AM
He's not coming to SA. Zero chance, let's not waste anymore time with this.

hooperflash
05-08-2016, 07:43 AM
If he signs with the Spurs.. we wouldn't be built, nor bought... but #blessed :lol

tholdren
05-08-2016, 07:45 AM
lets start new thread

south side spur
05-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Let them mock the Spurs but we'll all know the truth. That the Spurs franchise is undeniably the premier franchise in sports. In recent years, the Spurs have received more "hate" since the mediots finally started to sing San Antonio's praises. This would just ignite the anti-Spur sentiment that much more and honestly, as a fan who suffered through the 80s and 90s, to ultimately be the most desirable in the eyes of even the best players...it's a beautiful thing.

cutewizard
05-08-2016, 07:54 AM
first we gotta beat them tomorrow, or this is all moot...............

ddjeffries
05-08-2016, 07:55 AM
I only consider teams to be bought when they go over the luxury tax. If the Spurs can sign Durant and stay under the tax, then I consider that built because you aren't just throwing money at players. The Cavs are absolutely bought since there salary with tax is around 150 million this year.

cutewizard
05-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Game of Thrones tomorrow also...........wow!

National elections in the Philippines tomorrow also, wow!

Bring on game fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

oh my god, Jon Snow is alive!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y685gVGRQ98

south side spur
05-08-2016, 08:01 AM
That was the worst kept secret in cable television history. Everyone knew he was coming back and that was as soon as last seasons finale ended. As far as this season is concerned, is that the longest a dead character has lingered? Hilarious

RD2191
05-08-2016, 08:05 AM
This is bullshit.

Seventyniner
05-08-2016, 08:09 AM
With the current salary cap rules (esp harsh luxury tax), "bought" isn't really feasible. The Yankees (and now Red Sox) could fairly be given the "bought" label because they would just outspend everyone.

Still, I would consider the Spurs' foundation to be "built," and some of the renovations were "bought."

NASpurs
05-08-2016, 08:09 AM
This is bullshit.

:lol damn

mookie2001
05-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Built not bought? Lol more people care about Nada Surf.

cd98
05-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Durrant is a good defender and he can play the 4,3,and 2 with a great height advantage. Only Spur blinders would stop one from seeing the huge disparity between Green and Durrant. Durrant is a handful for Kawhi. Imagine if they teamed up.

100%duncan
05-08-2016, 08:28 AM
If he signs with the Spurs.. we wouldn't be built, nor bought... but #blessed :lol

actually.... :lol

RD2191
05-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Fuck this shit. This is an outrage! Damn you Slomo!

DJR210
05-08-2016, 09:15 AM
For all the years we were overlooked in FA.. some bought Championships are fine w/ me

sook
05-08-2016, 10:18 AM
People are fond of our success. Years of ambition and rings has made others envious, only natural they'd want to hop on the wagon.

south side spur
05-08-2016, 11:18 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-durant-career-lebron-james-2016-5

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/572cda28910584cc5e8c1357-1190-625/kevin-durant-and-lebron-james-have-had-remarkably-similar-careers.jpg

weebo
05-08-2016, 12:26 PM
The Spurs traded Bruce Bowen to the Bucks in the Dick Jefferson deal. What makes you all think Green won't get traded if there's a remote chance KD wants to come play for Pop and the Spurs? :lol

TampaDude
05-08-2016, 12:41 PM
If KD comes to the Spurs, then NBA = FUCKED.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2016, 01:01 PM
KD loves Austin. I've seen him at a couple of UT football games.

Keepin' it real
05-08-2016, 01:17 PM
KD loves Austin. I've seen him at a couple of UT football games.

So you're postulating he might sign with the AUSTIN Spurs??? That'd be something. Would affirm his "money ain't everything" quote.

Boogie Munster
05-08-2016, 01:22 PM
People keep mentioning how different the defense would be if we lost Green but with the right coaching and paired with Kawhi, Durant would be a monster defender in the Spurs system. Especially since he won't be the complete focal part of the offense with LMA and Kawhi there to burden the load. Getting chub just thinking about that line up.

TheCerebral1
05-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Let's beat him and win a title before worrying about offseason ramifications.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2016, 02:35 PM
So you're postulating he might sign with the AUSTIN Spurs??? That'd be something. Would affirm his "money ain't everything" quote.

That's just dumb.

Stabula
05-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Defense wins championships and that's something KD doesn't bring. Kawhi will be even better next year offensively and Aldridge has found his place on this team. We don't need KDs offense in the starting unit, we need DGs defense much more. Where the Spurs need help is in replacing Duncan and strengthening the bench.

YGWHI
05-08-2016, 03:38 PM
This is unprecedented. Don't see them pursuing KD, at all, but if they do, they will be more open to moving players than ever before, and I don't think sentimentality is going to be their main criterion.
But you're talking about Parker, a member of the Big 3.

It's pretty obvious that loyalty and sentimentality will play a large role in the decision.

You can keep saying "just trade Parker" but that won't happen.

Keepin' it real
05-08-2016, 03:58 PM
That's just dumb.

:hat

sasaint
05-08-2016, 04:09 PM

spurs10
05-08-2016, 05:13 PM
KD loves Austin. I've seen him at a couple of UT football games. He likes to pretend he is an alumni. They treat him as such. Anyone else is called a dropout! :lol

timtonymanu
05-08-2016, 05:16 PM
The Spurs traded Bruce Bowen to the Bucks in the Dick Jefferson deal. What makes you all think Green won't get traded if there's a remote chance KD wants to come play for Pop and the Spurs? :lol

Bowen was near the end of his career. Danny is pretty much in his prime.

Seventyniner
05-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Bowen was near the end of his career. Danny is pretty much in his prime.

Then again, Durant is far, far better than Jefferson was.

spurraider21
05-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Still "built."
http://www.ducksters.com/history/ancient_egypt/nile_river_map.gif

soxxx
05-08-2016, 07:36 PM
I love Green but Durant is a player that can just take over a game. Green cant do that, (I know he has done it before but cant expect it all the time)

Keepin' it real
05-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Uhhh, so who's upset at the thought of getting KD at the expense of Green???

tholdren
05-28-2016, 10:38 PM
See this game as to why. You want ANOTHER "professional" who is scared to drive to the rim?

timtonymanu
05-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Lol the thought of Durant and LMA choking together down the stretch

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2016, 10:41 PM
No thanks

Keepin' it real
05-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Lol the thought of Durant and LMA choking together down the stretch

The one common denominator: t.u.

The epitome of softness.

spurs10
05-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Lol the thought of Durant and LMA choking together down the stretch LMA wasn't the one choking away games- everyone not named LMA choked. Durant just gave GSW that game with one of the biggest choke jobs I've ever witnessed.

tholdren
05-28-2016, 10:51 PM
LMA wasn't the one choking away games- everyone not named LMA choked. Durant just gave GSW that game with one of the biggest choke jobs I've ever witnessed.
LMA had 2 great games then went away.

cd98
05-28-2016, 10:54 PM
There won't be close games with LMA, Kawhi, and Durant. But it ain't gonna happen. He's resigning with The Thunder.

Keepin' it real
05-28-2016, 10:56 PM
There won't be close games with LMA, Kawhi, and Durant. But it ain't gonna happen. He's resigning with The Thunder.

He had a horrible game, but he won't resign. That's a bit too drastic.

UNT Eagles 2016
05-30-2016, 01:01 AM

re-sign, not resign lol

I don't see him re-signing with the Thunder OR resigning from the NBA.

Only way he re-signs with OKC is if OKC keeps game 7 uber-competitive or actually wins in SF (unlikely).

SD126
05-30-2016, 06:28 AM

^^^^ you mean re-sign, right?? Because he's definitely doing that.

Mal
05-30-2016, 06:35 AM
^^^^ you mean re-sign, right?? Because he's definitely doing that.

That choke will put some doubts in his minds

Vito Corleone
05-30-2016, 07:51 AM
I still don't understand where KD would fit in as a starter in San Antonio?

Do we play him at the 3 and move Leonard to the 2, or does he become our 5?

Do we put him at the 4 and move Aldridge to the 5?

Either way, I think one of our current Big 2 is going to be displaced by KD.

TheGoldStandard
05-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Durant would obviously play the 3 or the 4 depending on the match up. It would be an awesome offensive lineup but rebounding would suffer again.

Tully365
05-30-2016, 12:29 PM

I've said from the start that the genius move behind signing Aldridge is that it came in the year before the Salary Cap was due to rise dramatically... This summer & especially next summer, top flight free agents will make significantly more than Aldridge, which will make him a very attractive trade asset if necessary. In the '17 & '18 seasons, the Spurs will have two top 15 players, and both of them will have very reasonable contracts. If (and it's huge if) OKC is able to resign Durant this summer and Westbrook next summer, their contracts will be significantly more pricey than KL & LMA's, which means they'll have the same issue they've always had, finding money to put complementary role players around them. To me, that's why signing Aldridge was always a no brainer.

tmtcsc
05-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Spurs need an athletic, mobile Center and a PG to run the office.

Assuming TD and Manu leave and Diaw gets dropped, the Spurs should have enough $$ to get two solid contributors. The perfect scenario would be to move Parker too. Say goodbye to the former BIG3 and usher in a new Big 3.

Tully365
05-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Assuming TD and Manu leave and Diaw gets dropped, the Spurs should have enough $$ to get two solid contributors. The perfect scenario would be to move Parker too. Say goodbye to the former BIG3 and usher in a new Big 3.

Manu was 2nd among SGs in RPM, playing in the most limited role of his career. At worst, he's still a very good 20mpg player. I hope he comes back. Even if he plays 15 mpg, he's still a bargain for the price of his contract. Tim might be a different situation because of his knees.

cjw
05-30-2016, 02:19 PM
I've said from the start that the genius move behind signing Aldridge is that it came in the year before the Salary Cap was due to rise dramatically... This summer & especially next summer, top flight free agents will make significantly more than Aldridge, which will make him a very attractive trade asset if necessary. In the '17 & '18 seasons, the Spurs will have two top 15 players, and both of them will have very reasonable contracts. If (and it's huge if) OKC is able to resign Durant this summer and Westbrook next summer, their contracts will be significantly more pricey than KL & LMA's, which means they'll have the same issue they've always had, finding money to put complementary role players around them. To me, that's why signing Aldridge was always a no brainer.

:tu on this and on Manu's continued effectiveness in a limited role. Almost impossible to replace him. Duncan's offense was bad this year, but still plays elite defense. Imagine him anchoring the second unit. Opposing teams won't be able to score.

Spurs running cap gymnastics around most of the league. Just wait until August 2017 to see how many players around the league are making more than LMA and Kawhi and you'll be shocked.

Also, wait and see which limited wings will be making more than Green. And which crappy point guards will be making more than Parker (not saying he's good).

Tully365
05-30-2016, 03:01 PM
:tu on this and on Manu's continued effectiveness in a limited role. Almost impossible to replace him. Duncan's offense was bad this year, but still plays elite defense. Imagine him anchoring the second unit. Opposing teams won't be able to score.

Spurs running cap gymnastics around most of the league. Just wait until August 2017 to see how many players around the league are making more than LMA and Kawhi and you'll be shocked.

Also, wait and see which limited wings will be making more than Green. And which crappy point guards will be making more than Parker (not saying he's good).

:toast

spurtech09
05-30-2016, 05:52 PM
Don't be surprised if the Spurs end up with the same team....Minor tweak here and there...

cutewizard
06-01-2016, 08:11 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

bklynspursfan
06-01-2016, 08:57 AM

Moving Parker would not be perfect imo. He's done a lot for this team, and I know there's a mutual respect between the 2. Some won't like it, but I'm sure he'll retire a Spurs, and he deserves it.

Maybe him coming off the bench is a possibility, but he probably won't be moved

UZER
06-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Manu was 2nd among SGs in RPM, playing in the most limited role of his career. At worst, he's still a very good 20mpg player. I hope he comes back. Even if he plays 15 mpg, he's still a bargain for the price of his contract. Tim might be a different situation because of his knees.

Yes this is nice and dandy, but the issue is that as long as he is on the roster, Pop will still use Manu in big moments in the playoffs even if he just doesn't have it like throwing bad passes, losing his man on D, too slow to loose balls, etc.

Pop is loyal to a fault.

TheDoctor
06-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Yes this is nice and dandy, but the issue is that as long as he is on the roster, Pop will still use Manu in big moments in the playoffs even if he just doesn't have it like throwing bad passes, losing his man on D, too slow to loose balls, etc.

Pop is loyal to a fault.

Case Study: Matt Bonner

cjw
06-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Pop is loyal to a fault.

No, Pop used Manu because there is literally no other option on the roster. He was the best offensive player outside of Kawhi and LMA on the team this year, and it wasn't even close (Boban doesn't count).

UZER
06-01-2016, 12:59 PM
No, Pop used Manu because there is literally no other option on the roster. He was the best offensive player outside of Kawhi and LMA on the team this year, and it wasn't even close (Boban doesn't count).

Which proves my point. As long as Manu is on the team, a roster spot is being taken up, others players won't be given a chance in the playoffs because Pop will continue to go with Manu.

They go hand in hand.

T Park
06-01-2016, 02:30 PM

Durant is the 3/4 while Leonard is the 2/3.

T Park
06-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Which proves my point. As long as Manu is on the team, a roster spot is being taken up, others players won't be given a chance in the playoffs because Pop will continue to go with Manu.

They go hand in hand.

Many was fine too. If he was dragging his body up and down and being useless then I'd understand

FuzzyLumpkins
06-01-2016, 03:33 PM

Kawhi's ball handling has evolved to the point where I think he could play the 2. On defense he can play anywhere except the 5 some nights. It moves Danny to the bench and his price tag is a bit much for that role. IT's not my money but I could see that being a rub.

There is precedent. When Silas went down early after the merger Ice famously moved to the 2 after being a 3 his entire career. It was one of Bob Bass' claims to fame although he was essentially forced into it.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-01-2016, 03:40 PM

I would imagine it more than that. Straw and the camel. . .

The way that game went down was typical to their problems. Westbrook playing like his hair is on fire and making repeated mental errors. Infighting and fingerpointing. Selfish play where the ball stops for a quarter while Westbrook plays hero ball.

I think if Durant takes a long look he will realize that it's been most of a decade and nothing has changed in that regard. They have evolved the roster outside of Ibaka and brought in a new coach yet it is the same shit.

cjw
06-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Many was fine too. If he was dragging his body up and down and being useless then I'd understand

Exactly. As I've shown elsewhere, the stats show Manu was the third best offensive player on the team (yes, he went against bench lineups, but also was surrounded by underperforming bench players). He was very effective compared to others at his position and if he left, it would create a huge void. How do people propose filling that at his price?

Sure, he may fall off this season. But stop complaining about him taking up a roster spot last season. Bonner - you have a gripe. But not Manu or Tim.

T Park
06-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Exactly. As I've shown elsewhere, the stats show Manu was the third best offensive player on the team (yes, he went against bench lineups, but also was surrounded by underperforming bench players). He was very effective compared to others at his position and if he left, it would create a huge void. How do people propose filling that at his price?

Sure, he may fall off this season. But stop complaining about him taking up a roster spot last season. Bonner - you have a gripe. But not Manu or Tim.

agree 100%

I also think if the bench is improved it almost makes him better obviously. better ball movement, better more open shots and drives for him.