PDA

View Full Version : Power Rankings in by ESPN, Spurs on top baby!!!

bull62400
09-30-2005, 01:01 PM
1 (3) Spurs 59-23 The committee loves it when someone out there makes it this easy. And it doesn't get much easier than putting the reigning champs up here in the top slot after they added Finley, Van Exel and Oberto at bargain prices.
2 (5) Pistons 54-28 You could argue that Larry Brown's departure should bring a steeper drop. Then you might recall we're talking about defiant Detroit, which rallies around such causes.
3 (1) Suns 62-20 People seem to forget that these guys beat Dallas in the second round without Joe Johnson and with no bench. Now they have a bench (a good one) and still have two MVP candidates (Nash and Amare), so hold off on the crisis talk.
4 (15) Pacers 44-38 Ron-Ron reinstated. J. O'Neal healed. Uncle Reg retired ... but replaced by our man Saras Jasikevicius. In other words, you shouldn't be surprised to see that Indy has been bumped back up among the league's elite.
5 (6) Heat 59-23 If all the new, uh, personalities click, Riles wins Executive of the Year and we eat crow. Stan VG, meanwhile, wins Coach of the Year if he can last the whole season.
6 (7) Rockets 51-31 Yao had his first-ever summer of significant rest and now has the athletic frontcourt sidekick (Swift) he needed as much as a healthy break. Rockets thus move to the brink of the elite, in spite of the Sura situation.
7 (4) Nuggets 49-33 Furious George can't expect to go 32-8 in every 40 games with Denver, as seen in his first act, but Nuggets don't strike us as fluke material. Especially not if K-Mart rebounds from his knee woes and Camby stays healthy.
8 (2) Mavericks 58-24 With their Big Three down to a Big One, Mavs weren't an automatic top-10 selection. But they're here out of respect for Nowitzki, since he somehow led essentially the same team to a whopping 58 wins last season.
9 (20) Cavaliers 42-40 There are several newcomers to track -- Hughes, Donyell, D-Jones and Ferry -- but let's face it: LBJ and his quest to finally make the playoffs remain the main focus.
10 (12) Kings 50-32 The additions of Bonzi and Reef look like trademark Petrie scores. But the moves slam home the idea that Kings, as we knew them, are a memory.
11 (11) Grizzlies 45-37 Grizz might indeed be at risk for slipping out of the West's top eight, as stated in Wednesday's chat. Then again, they might not slip at all after dumping all the unhappy souls (Bonzi, J-Will, Swift and Posey) for the good of team chemistry.
12 (13) Nets 42-40 They're perhaps deeper than they've ever been in the J-Kidd Era, but so is the top of the East. So Nets will have to settle for battling Cavs for the No. 4 seed.
13 (17) Warriors 34-48 Everyone seems to be picking Warriors to end their decade-long playoff drought at last. Of course, that only increases the pressure on GS to finally do so.
14 (16) Wizards 45-37 Wiz won't be as dynamic as they were with Hughes, but they're deeper. Which is enough to retain their playoff ticket in the East.
15 (23) Bucks 30-52 Larry Harris had a summer to rival that of any GM in the league. All the moves should ease the burden on Bogut and take Bucks back to the playoffs.
16 (25) Lakers 34-48 Don't ask for a long explanation, because you're not going to glean one from looking at Kobe's roster. Basically our respect for the Zenmeister is such that we expect LA to mount a push for the No. 8 seed. Somehow.
17 (24) Knicks 33-49 The bottom of the East's playoff ladder is more wide-open than the bottom of the West's ... meaning that Larry looks to have a much better chance than Phil of turning his turnoff roster into a No. 8 seed.
18 (8) SuperSonics 52-30 Asked in a chat to name West playoff teams at risk for a fall out of the top eight, we omitted Seattle and what's left of a Cinderella squad that lost some key pieces (and coaches). It's preseason for the committee, too.
19 (19) Timberwolves 44-38 Word is KG has bulked up, but his readiness was never a worry. The concern is KG's new supporting cast, which is more coachable but doesn't exactly scream "playoffs."
20 (9) Bulls 47-35 Bulls were a big-time surprise in '04-05. It'll be a bigger surprise if they can top that run in '05-06, with the surprise factor gone and the Curry cloud to contend with.
21 (10) Celtics 45-37 Maybe Celts should be higher. But betting folk will favor a Pierce trade between now and February over the notion that Ainge's toddlers will be playoff-ready come April.
22 (14) 76ers 43-39 This is one of the few places where the Webber-Iverson partnership still gets a chance. Yet we don't deny that the grace period is running out.
23 (27) Jazz 26-56 Instinct says a Jerry Sloan team can't have another season like the last one down here in rankings purgatory. Then again, Sloan's Jazz have never had a season like that one, so who knows how they'll respond?
24 (22) Magic 36-46 Even with a (relatively) healthy Grant Hill and a reasonable Amare facsimile (Dwight Howard), Magic still look like a playoff maybe. It all depends which Stevie Franchise they get, and we're skeptical.
25 (18) Clippers 37-45 On paper, Clips look as though they have the starters to beat the Lakers to the Staples Center title again. It all depends which Cassell they get, and we're skeptical.
26 (26) Trail Blazers 27-55 Seattle undoubtedly will miss Mr. Sonic, but McMillan is bound to pine for the fairy-tale feel of last season after a couple of months nursing Portland's kiddie corps.
27 (30) Hawks 13-69 Go ahead. Admit it. The whole Joe Johnson-Steve Belkin saga will tempt you to follow the Hawks more closely than you ever have.
28 (28) Bobcats 18-64 Bobcats far exceeded expectations with last season's win total. Now they have two Tar Heels (Felton and May) to distract the locals in case they can't overachieve again.
29 (29) Hornets 18-64 It doesn't feel right to be talking about basketball in the same sentence with New Orleans, but the harsh reality is that Hornets will be shown no mercy in a conference where there are so many playoff-worthy teams.
30 (21) Raptors 33-49 If we were ranking our favorite NBA cities, Toronto would be tops. But we're ranking teams, and this one returns with even the under-fire GM forecasting gloom.

samikeyp
09-30-2005, 01:04 PM
sweet. doesn't mean anything, but it is nice.

ZStomp
09-30-2005, 01:12 PM
sweet. doesn't mean anything, but it is nice.

It doesn't mean anything.

But I bet if they had put the Spurs at like #3 people in here would be all upset. :lmao

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-30-2005, 01:16 PM
I don't see the Suns as better than the Rockets this year. The Suns did a major overhaul, while the Rockets found some very important missing pieces. I don't know that I would put such a young team as the Nuggets that high. George Karl has a reputation for wearing out his welcome with his players very quickly sometimes so that honeymoon could be over at any moment. And besides, since when can you actually count on Marcus Camby being healthy?

cheguevara
09-30-2005, 01:27 PM
duh

but it should be
1. Spurs
2. Pistons
3. Pacers
4. Suns
5. Rockets
6. Heat

The_Game
09-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Suns still have 3 all-stars two being MVP contenders..they will be the 2nd best in the west this year

they added depth and now have another big guy who can shoot from 15 feet and rebound..they may not be as good record wise but they are the 2nd best team...rockets are too old and are weak at PG

JMarkJohns
09-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Houston has as many question marks as any Western team.

1. the health and playing ability of Sura: they stuggled without him and reports have him saying he doubts he will ever play again.
2. the health of Juwan Howard: had a heart condition last season. How serious?
3. the ever on-going health status of Derek Anderson: Um, he misses 30 games annually.
4. Age of Mutombo, Wesley and Barry: each is up there in age, waaaayyy up there for Barry and Mutombo.
5. Outside shooting: sure, if healthy, they have some quality players.

sprrs
09-30-2005, 02:30 PM
It doesn't mean anything.

But I bet if they had put the Spurs at like #3 people in here would be all upset. :lmao

Maybe but Stein always puts the defending champs at #1 before the season begins. With good reason I guess, but I'd liek to see where the Spurs would rank if they didn't go by that (probably still #1) :blah

samikeyp
09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
But I bet if they had put the Spurs at like #3 people in here would be all upset.

very true! :)

z0sa
09-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Because it would be stupid to put another team at the top, except maybe Miami - but if they put Miami, its probably cause they're biased towards Miami. If they put San Antonio, its probably cause they just think theyre the best team.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-30-2005, 03:56 PM
And besides, since when can you actually count on Marcus Camby being healthy?

You know Camby has played more games than Duncan over the last 2 years right? He has played 138 to Duncans 135.......If you want to talk about not being able to count on Camby being healthy then you better do the same for Tim.....

cheguevara
09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
The great thing is that Spurs would still be at #1 even w/out Oberto,VanExel,Finley pickups

FromWayDowntown
09-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Houston has as many question marks as any Western team.

1. the health and playing ability of Sura: they stuggled without him and reports have him saying he doubts he will ever play again.
2. the health of Juwan Howard: had a heart condition last season. How serious?
3. the ever on-going health status of Derek Anderson: Um, he misses 30 games annually.
4. Age of Mutombo, Wesley and Barry: each is up there in age, waaaayyy up there for Barry and Mutombo.
5. Outside shooting: sure, if healthy, they have some quality players.

I might live to regret saying this, but I completely agree with you, JMark. Those are some serious question marks and even if only 2 or 3 of them come true, the Rockets will have some issues. I also think some may be relying way too much on projections about Yao's progress to conclude that the Rockets will be much, much better and competitive for the title. Yao certainly has the ability, but to project him as a championship/MVP-caliber player in 2005-06 strikes me as something of a reach.

As long as the Rockets have McGrady, though, they'll be tough.

baseline bum
09-30-2005, 04:11 PM
My top 10....

1. Spurs (68-14)
2. Pacers (62-20)
3. Pistons (56-26)
4. Heat (58-24)
5. Rockets (57-25)
6. Suns (54-28)
7. Timberwolves (54-28)
8. Mavericks (53-29)
9. Nuggets (52-30)
10. Cavs (49-33)

JMarkJohns
09-30-2005, 04:43 PM
I have the Rockets as the 3rd-best team, just a step behind Phoenix and a step ahead of Dallas. All three of these teams are close, but Phoenix has three legit All-Stars, including two MVP candidates. That puts them just a bit ahead.

I like Houston and their offseason moves, but they need Sura and Wesley's 3-point shot.

Heat are a disaster waiting to happen. I think they win around 50 games. I wouldn't be surprised of Chicago or Cleveland finishes arounf the same or better. I can't believe how Chicago has been written off. They are incredably deep, even without Curry and have two players with All-Star potential in Deng and Gordon. They play hard, they play right and have a brilliant coach who demands nothing less.

I think the Bulls are top-4 in the East and possibly top-3.

mavsfan1000
09-30-2005, 07:31 PM
The mavericks get no respect here. I know alot of people on this site don't like them but they deserve some credit on here. I see it this way.
1. Spurs
2. Pistons
3. Suns
4. Pacers
5. Mavericks
6. Heat
7. Rockets
8. Kings
9. Cavaliers
10.Nuggets

ShoogarBear
09-30-2005, 07:39 PM
My top 10....

1. Spurs (68-14)
2. Pacers (62-20)
3. Pistons (56-26)
4. Heat (58-24)
5. Rockets (57-25)
6. Suns (54-28)
7. Timberwolves (54-28)
8. Mavericks (53-29)
9. Nuggets (52-30)
10. Cavs (49-33)

Wow, the Woofies winning 54 games? I can't see it.

Also wouldn't surprise me to see the Spurs struggle to get 60. I think they'll finish with the best record in the league, but won't get 68 unless some other team is pushing them.

exstatic
09-30-2005, 08:27 PM
You know Camby has played more games than Duncan over the last 2 years right? He has played 138 to Duncans 135.......If you want to talk about not being able to count on Camby being healthy then you better do the same for Tim.....

Right, and that was the least games played by Duncan, and the most by Camby in any two year period of their careers. Keep comming with the meaningless stats. Duncan was injured last year because of lack of rest cause by an Olympics sandwiched between two NBA seasons with deep playoff runs. Camby was injured apparently because there is Nitrogen in the atmosphere. It's the only constant I can think of that covers his 9 year, 54 games per season career.

Money316
09-30-2005, 08:42 PM
The mavericks get no respect here. I know alot of people on this site don't like them but they deserve some credit on here. I see it this way.
1. Spurs
2. Pistons
3. Suns
4. Pacers
5. Mavericks
6. Heat
7. Rockets
8. Kings
9. Cavaliers
10.NuggetsMavericks at 5? Yeah right big guy .... Remember, thou shall not lie!

http://images.43things.com/entry/00/00/0c/3114s.jpg

Pistons < Spurs
09-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Here are the power rankings from nbabasketballnews.com

http://www.nbabasketballnews.com/nba/powerrankings.htm

mavsfan1000
09-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Mavericks at 5? Yeah right big guy .... Remember, thou shall not lie!

http://images.43things.com/entry/00/00/0c/3114s.jpg

We'll see. The mavericks don't seem to get the respect but they did beat the rockets and during the regular season last year beat the Heat twice. I think the 5 position is just about right.

Money316
09-30-2005, 09:59 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-left.gifQuote:http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-right.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-by-left.gifOriginally Posted by Money316http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-by-right.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-right-10.gifMavericks at 5? Yeah right big guy .... Remember, thou shall not lie!

http://images.43things.com/entry/00/00/0c/3114s.jpg http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-bot-left.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-bot-right.gif

We'll see. The mavericks don't seem to get the respect but they did beat the rockets and during the regular season last year beat the Heat twice. I think the 5 position is just about right.
OK, but the Mavs ahead of the Heat and the Rockets!!!!!!!

http://www.hearthealing.com.au/images/p-lighening.jpg

mavsfan1000
09-30-2005, 10:09 PM
With the possible career ending injury of Bob Sura's knee and the lost of Damon Jones is the reason why I give the Mavs the advantage.

Pistons < Spurs
09-30-2005, 10:27 PM
I could see Dallas at #6 ahead of Houston and Denver.

E20
09-30-2005, 10:54 PM
ESPN Power Rankings don't mean shit. ESPN is just that: entertainment; nothing to be really taken serious.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Because it would be stupid to put another team at the top, except maybe Miami - but if they put Miami, its probably cause they're biased towards Miami. If they put San Antonio, its probably cause they just think theyre the best team.
Maybe they are biased toward the Spurs, and the Heat are really the best team.

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2005, 12:48 AM
Plz now, we dont want BSPN on the bangwagon now do we?

sprrs
10-01-2005, 01:34 AM
I think of all the columnists I trust Stein the most. He usually gives insight w/o eing biased, or as little as possible.