PDA

View Full Version : Is David West the most overrated acquisition since Dick Jefferson?

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 12:29 PM
The guy brings nothing to the table that Diaw already didn't besides acting tough & committing dumb fouls.:rolleyes

He makes the Finley acquisition seem like deal of the century but all the media talk about is how he opt-ed out of his deal when he would have been stealing money from the Pacers like Roy Hibbert.

At this point, is he even better than Luis Scola? (He was getting benched for Scola last season:lol): http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/2/16/8046543/there-is-value-in-david-west-being-there-for-the-pacers

0.41: West's Real Plus Minus (RPM) defined by ESPN.com as a "player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. RPM takes into account teammates, opponents and additional factors" is ranked lower than both Lavoy Allen's (2.77) and Luis Scola's (1.23).

(http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/2/16/8046543/there-is-value-in-david-west-being-there-for-the-pacers)
Given this caveat, what has perhaps been more disconcerting than the slide in his on-court impact have been the cracks in the professionalism of his on-court demeanor. At times,West has appeared somewhat disinterested in as well as disgruntled with the process. The very same player who once would have unleashed the wrath of his signature scowl at Paul George for making a cavalier behind the back pass in traffic has been guilty of developing his own brand of lack of mental focus this season

2011 McDyess was better than this bum but Pop is giving him the 2008 Finley treatment.:rolleyes (Dude is basically Kurt Thomas 2.0) (http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/2/16/8046543/there-is-value-in-david-west-being-there-for-the-pacers)

Budkin
05-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Holy shit.

houston spurs fan
05-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Unbelievable fail. And this is a serious one too, Jesus.

05-09-2016, 12:51 PM
fuck David West. Him taking that discount pretty much guaranteed him playing time even if he was playing worse than he is now(if that's possible)

Registration needs to open up so someone can create a PlayBoban account.

rastaspur
05-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Big time fail. Signed at the vet minimum. Because of that it is an all gravy and no risk situation. He's earned his paycheck. Dick Jefferson did not.

hater
05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Better than Ayres tbh. does OP even realize we would have nothing at that position if he didn't come?

retardation of OP is shocking imo hes living proof pregnant women should not do crack tbh

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Better than Ayres tbh. does OP even realize we would have nothing at that position if he didn't come?

retardation of OP is shocking imo hes living proof pregnant women should not do crack tbh

Carlos Boozer wouldn't have been any worse & a LEGIT center (Cole Aldrich) was ACTUALLY available:rolleyes

rastaspur
05-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Who was a better vet min option last summer? That's the pertinent question for an accurate cost benefit analysis of the signing. I would argue no one. But please, try and pull a rabbit out of the hat. Would love to here some examples of who we missed out on for the vet minimum.

05-09-2016, 12:56 PM

Except we already had a backup PF in Diaw. The signing of West was redundant. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and the thinking at the time was that it was too good to pass on, even if not needed, but I wish we would've passed on him.

BillMc
05-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Signed at the vet minimum. Because of that it is an all gravy and no risk situation. He's earned his paycheck. Dick Jefferson did not.

This.

Beaverfuzz
05-09-2016, 12:57 PM
L O L

HarlemHeat37
05-09-2016, 12:58 PM
West is fine for the price..I liked the addition in the off-season as a 4th big..Indiana fans hated him as a starter and rightfully so, he's a liability in that role..

The problem is that he's currently playing as the #2 big, which is as bad as it gets:lol..shades of McDyess being the #2 big at a time where he should have been in a bench role..

rastaspur
05-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Aldrich wouldn't have been a bad signing. But he is arguably only incrementally better in hindsight.

Darius Bieber
05-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Atleast Dick did this tbh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XjDjpHpwJY

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Who was a better vet min option last summer? That's the pertinent question for an accurate cost benefit analysis of the signing. I would argue no one. But please, try and pull a rabbit out of the hat. Would love to here some examples of who we missed out on for the vet minimum.

-Carlos Boozer: Better rebounder & just as good a midrange shooter along w/ being just as shitty a defender/rim protector/hacker

-Cole Aldrich: One of the best backup centers this season (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/aldrich-711651-rivers-clippers.html)

Uyl5kvKuBG4

NameLess Scrub
05-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Don't know who could've come.
But always thought the team would suffer without an additional rim protector.

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:05 PM
West is fine for the price..I liked the addition in the off-season as a 4th big..Indiana fans hated him as a starter and rightfully so, he's a liability in that role..
Shade of Finley playing starters minutes:pop:

The problem is that he's currently playing as the #2 big, which is as bad as it gets:lol..shades of McDyess being the #2 big at a time where he should have been in a bench role..

Dyess could actually rebound, jump & move his feet, meanwhile West is Kurt Thomas status. (West couldn't even handle washed up Z-Bo:lol)

spursistan
05-09-2016, 01:07 PM
for Vet minuim, no..but It's fuckin infuriating how he lost his jumper in the playoffs..:pctoss

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:09 PM
for Vet minuim, no..but It's fuckin infuriating how he lost his jumper in the playoffs..:pctoss

I'm not talking about the contract but how overrated he is as a player.:wakeup

rastaspur
05-09-2016, 01:10 PM
-Carlos Boozer: Better rebounder & just as good a midrange shooter along w/ being just as shitty a defender/rim protector/hacker

-Cole Aldrich: One of the best backup centers this season (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/aldrich-711651-rivers-clippers.html)

Uyl5kvKuBG4

Boozer. That's the only other name you can come up with. Thats weak. Dude has never played any defense. Plus he reneged on a handshake deal with a blind man. F that clown.

itzsoweezee
05-09-2016, 01:10 PM
He's effectively playing the role of a starter, even though he's coming off the bench. If popovich plans on relying on him, might as well end it here because both the warriors and the Cavs will demolish him

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Boozer. That's the only other name you can come up with. Thats weak. Dude has never played any defense. Plus he reneged on a handshake deal with a blind man. F that clown.

ovpaJ7FF9iw

Two bums on the Lakers that are better than West/Patty: Boozer/Lin:lol

05-09-2016, 01:12 PM

No need for a vet min 3rd PF to take up big man minutes. If we're going to play a 4th big it should be Boban seeing as with the loss of Splitter and Tim being pretty much finished(due to age, injury, or what have you), we're light at C.

spursistan
05-09-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm not talking about the contract buthow overrated he is as a player.:wakeup
I agree, it is dire, but he shouldn't be expected to be doing this much.. Imagine an older/shorter Mo Speights without his recently developed 3pt shot and a broken jumper closing 4th Qs for the Warriors :lol..That's basically D West..

Brazil
05-09-2016, 01:15 PM
comparaison is quite weird tbh... Dick had been recruited with a big paycheck to be a starter West came for the vet to play off the bench spot minutes... For the price and the role West acquisition is not overrated at all.

he is doing ok comparing to expectations. Dude is 35 y/o it is not on him Pop is playing him too much. BTW his stats so far are pretty similar per 36 / advanced than his career

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:16 PM
No need for a vet min 3rd PF to take up big man minutes. If we're going to play a 4th big it should be Boban seeing as with the loss of Splitter and Tim being pretty much finished(due to age, injury, or what have you), we're light at C.

At least, Mr. Dead Weight (Bonner) should have been dumped for Boozer.

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:18 PM
comparaison is quite weird tbh... Dick had been recruited with a big paycheck to be a starter West came for the vet to play off the bench spot minutes... For the price and the role West acquisition is not overrated at all.

Pop treating him like 2008 Finley isn't helping the cause.

he is doing ok comparing to expectations. Dude is 35 y/o it is not on him Pop is playing him too much. BTW his stats so far are pretty similar per 36 / advanced than his career

Except he's putting up those number against BACKUPS otherwise Mo Speight would be a superstar.:lol

Mouth is Bleeding
05-09-2016, 01:18 PM
jesus christ yes why is he suddenly a key player.

Our second big like others have said??? What a stupid joke that is.

That never materialized during the regular season or we wouldn't have won so many games. This needs to stop.

He is dumb and simply not a winner in the Spurs tradition.

Meanwhile the greatest winner in NBA history and one of the most intelligent players ever who just happens to also be the greatest Spur ever, ROTS ON THE BENCH FOR THIS MORON.

It's hard to stomach. It's disrespectful quite frankly.

oh and Mcdyess was definitely better.

Bonner likely is also better. At least against OKC.

05-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Honestly, I didn't even know Booz was still in the league. Speaking of Bonner though, if he would've been cut instead of Butler I wonder if he would be getting minutes this series.

05-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Wonder how many rings Tim would have with Phil as his coach all these years.

Brazil
05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Pop treating him like 2008 Finley isn't helping the cause.

that's your pov and on pop tbh... nothing to do with the fact he is overrated or not... unless you mean he is overrated by Pop which is a different debate

Except he's putting up those number against BACKUPS otherwise Mo Speight would be a superstar.:lol

:lol well except the fact he is playing as much as Tim... at 20 mpg he is not playing just against backups on the contrary... Last two games he played all fourth quarters for instance.

and then again I don't know who is overrating him tbh... he is producing no more or less than expected.

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Honestly, I didn't even know Booz was still in the league. Speaking of Bonner though, if he would've been cut instead of Butler I wonder if he would be getting minutes this series.

Boozer refused to play unless it was for a contender so he now works for NBATV

BTW, I hope PATFO don't max out Horford:

Ux6TQ8zAwHA

Brazil
05-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Wonder how many rings Tim would have with Phil as his coach all these years.

he surely would not have 2014/15 ring tbh... Phil is nice and all but globally he had one system, did not change much over the years and was good at managing egos... not sure in what world this makes him a better coach than Pop.

for all the shit he gets, no pop no ring that year. Pop just changed the whole nba in one season and still there are people giving him shit :lol

Pop's legacy on the game and FO management is 10 times Phil's one

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:31 PM
that's your pov and on pop tbh... nothing to do with the fact he is overrated or not... unless you mean he is overrated by Pop which is a different debate

Considering how he's held in high regard you would think he's an all-star:lol

well except the fact he is playing as much as Tim... at 20 mpg he is not playing just against backups on the contrary... Last two games he played all fourth quarters for instance.

What's impressive about splitting minutes w/ a handicapped 40 yr old? He got his ass handed to him in the 4th quarter b/c he's a bum.:lol

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 01:36 PM
he surely would not have 2014/15 ring tbh.

I didn't know they gave out rings for getting outcoached by Glenn.:lmao

Brazil
05-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Considering how he's held in high regard you would think he's an all-star:lol

:lol I'm pretty sure Pop is aware of limitations of the dude but consider wrongly or rightly so (its another debate) he is the best option he has. At this point Pop considers he has to pick between Tim and West, I'd rather go with Tim Goat Duncan but I'm a fan so yeah... Maybe he will adjust and pull off something else: back to Timmy or small ball or the red rocket (:lol don't laugh it could happen), he won't trust Boban.

Speights plays as much as Bogut but he ain't no Bogut.:lol

:lol I never said West is Tim tbh... just pointing out the fact that he is not just playing against backups

Brazil
05-09-2016, 01:38 PM
I didn't know they gave out rings for getting outcoached by Glenn.:lmao

:lol... sorry... time is flying tbh

SAGirl
05-09-2016, 01:50 PM

This is actually the best summary. Was fine as the 4th big but as the 2nd? NOPE.

SAGirl
05-09-2016, 01:53 PM
I agree, it is dire, but he shouldn't be expected to be doing this much.. Imagine an older/shorter Mo Speights without his recently developed 3pt shot and a broken jumper closing 4th Qs for the Warriors :lol..That's basically D West..
:lol When you put it this way it's patently clear that it's not the salary, it's the role.

Keepin' it real
05-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Is David West the most overrated acquisition since Dick Jefferson?

No. Next question.

SAGirl
05-09-2016, 01:55 PM
He's effectively playing the role of a starter, even though he's coming off the bench. If popovich plans on relying on him, might as well end it here because both the warriors and the Cavs will demolish him
And both teams did demolish him in the RS. He could not guard GSW especially at all, but neither could Timmy.

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 02:02 PM
And both teams did demolish him in the RS. He could not guard GSW especially at all, but neither could Timmy.

:pop:But Pop is out there doing this::deadhorse

Gervin44Silas13
05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
jesus christ yes why is he suddenly a key player.

Our second big like others have said??? What a stupid joke that is.

That never materialized during the regular season or we wouldn't have won so many games. This needs to stop.

He is dumb and simply not a winner in the Spurs tradition.

Meanwhile the greatest winner in NBA history and one of the most intelligent players ever who just happens to also be the greatest Spur ever, ROTS ON THE BENCH FOR THIS MORON.

It's hard to stomach. It's disrespectful quite frankly.

oh and Mcdyess was definitely better.

Bonner likely is also better. At least against OKC.

Word....The guy who posted this is on the crack pipe

hater
05-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Carl:lols B:lol:lolzer :lmao

Holy shit :lmao

UZER
05-09-2016, 04:22 PM

:pop: False. Kawhi would have been cut before Bonner.

Kikoluna
05-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Ridiculous. He's playing solid. Besides, he signed for free practically

spurraider21
05-09-2016, 04:28 PM
nothing like OP's youtube arguments :lol

he's the type of guy who will argue how great anthony morrow is and defend it by posting a youtube of his 42 point game

daslicer
05-09-2016, 04:31 PM
He's good for the value the Spurs got him for. Jefferson was overpaid and didn't produce at what people expected of him. West has pretty much done what I expected which is be a guy who gets 6-8 points a game, and 5-7 rebounds. The problem is due to Duncan's rapid decline he's being forced to play a bigger role than what was originally expected.

DPG21920
05-09-2016, 04:34 PM
He's overrated in the context of what people who don't watch the NBA outside of SA and are obsessed with names thought he still was, but fine for what he's been; especially for the money.

Pop asking him to be more isn't on West at this point, like it was not on Bonner when he was asked to be a starting PF in this league.

TD 21
05-09-2016, 04:45 PM
He's overrated in the context of what people who don't watch the NBA outside of SA and are obsessed with names thought he still was, but fine for what he's been; especially for the money.

Pop asking him to be more isn't on West at this point, like it was not on Bonner when he was asked to be a starting PF in this league.

Exactly.

The issue with West, is symbolic of the issue with this team: They're relics of the past. I don't just mean by age, but by style. Even though West can still play, he's an awkward fit in today's game, because power forwards like him aren't being developed anymore. When he was coming up, the mid ranger and post defense were what was required. Now, it's the three and the ability to switch. So he's longer a pure four, but he doesn't protect the rim/defensive rebound well enough to be a five, either.

rastaspur
05-09-2016, 05:05 PM

He's not in the league. Dudes a scrub at this point which makes it laughable to even name drop him.

elemento
05-09-2016, 05:19 PM
not even close

D-West is a minimum vet expected to be the the 3rd/4th big off the bench.

Dick Jefferson was supposed to be our savior when SA was desperate for a starting material SF. Dick Jefferson is the biggest disappointment in the Spurs history. Not only he was terrible, but he also stole a shit load of money from SA and they had to give up a 1st rounder in order to get rid of him.

Spurs9
05-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Good thing we arent paying him 12 milion tbh
Hes came thru with a few critical plays in our 2 wins though

Frank Dux
05-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Big time fail. Signed at the vet minimum. Because of that it is an all gravy and no risk situation. He's earned his paycheck. Dick Jefferson did not.

Yep. Dick was the second highest paid player on the time. West is one of the lowest. It's fine.

spurtech09
05-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Spurs talk use to be good :(

Silver&Black
05-09-2016, 06:31 PM
If for the minimum, why not?

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 06:42 PM

This is what I was getting into, Pop overvalues him & so does the media since they bring him up as some kind of savior.:lol He has as much value to a contender as David Lee had last season, even PJ Brown was a pretty good defender when he played for the Celtics.

Tbh, if was signed from overseas like Baynes then nobody would be talking about him. :cryBut...but...but..he turned down 13 million.:cry

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 06:47 PM
If for the minimum, why not?

Money has nothing to do w/ it. I'm talking about his ROLE, he has no business being a 20 MPG backup on a contender.

Besides, he would have gotten the MLE from the Spurs if it was available & folks were claiming he should opt-out for a pay raise NEXT season including Chinook stating he should be a starter.:lmao

He was supposed to be a Shaun Livingston type vet but dude has been David Lee status.:lol

weeks
05-09-2016, 07:02 PM
he can't fill duncan's shoes.
it's ridiculous to expect this team was gonna move along no problems after timmy fell off a cliff

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 07:16 PM
he can't fill duncan's shoes.
it's ridiculous to expect this team was gonna move along no problems after timmy fell off a cliff

You have Shaun Livingston filling in for the freakin' MVP, meanwhile one of the so called "best offseason acquisitions" can't even relief a 40 yr old.:rolleyes

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2516227-san-antonio-spurs-drop-the-mic-on-2015-free-agency-with-david-west-signing :lmao

Mouth is Bleeding
05-09-2016, 07:21 PM
You have Shaun Livingston filling in for the freakin' MVP, meanwhile one of the so called "best offseason acquisitions" can't even relief a 40 yr old.:rolleyes

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2516227-san-antonio-spurs-drop-the-mic-on-2015-free-agency-with-david-west-signing :lmao

It really is working out well for the Warriors where Curry is currently busy getting juiced up with blood doping which is what his centrifuged blood plasma treatment really is (there are sports where you would never say this treatment out loud cuz it is blatant doping) unless you go totally by the book (and even then it arguably is) which there is no reason to since you can't get caught and no one is watching.

I predict that when he is coming back he'll be sprinting with unprecedented intensity and endurance like he never skipped a beat or better than ever before.

05-09-2016, 07:29 PM
It really is working out well for the Warriors where Curry is currently busy getting juiced up with blood doping which is what his centrifuged blood plasma treatment really is (there are sports where you would never say this treatment out loud cuz it is blatant doping) unless you go totally by the book (and even then it arguably is) which there is no reason to since you can't get caught and no one is watching.

I predict that when he is coming back he'll be sprinting with unprecedented intensity and endurance like he never skipped a beat or better than ever before.
Wow, did the Dubs actually report that or is it a rumor?

:lol today's NBA

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Amare might have been a better option that D-Worst since he can actually play PnR w/ Manu.:bang

Mouth is Bleeding
05-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Wow, did the Dubs actually report that or is it a rumor?

:lol today's NBA

yeah it's not a big story but it's there though sugar-coated or merely reported by the various U.S media.

Just google platelet-rich plasma treatment and/or Curry.

It has just escaped being put on the doping list by Wada but blood doping is notoriously so of course and this is the whole blood doping procedure where your blood is getting centrifuged and I just can't see them not taken fully advantage of that and using it as such.

SpursFan86
05-09-2016, 07:56 PM
I don't really get this topic. Your main concern seems to be about West's role and how he shouldn't be playing so many minutes. I agree with that. But then you go on to say that we should've gotten Boozer or Amar'e? Do you really think those guys have any business playing 20+ minutes for a contender? By the way your statement about how Boozer is as good of a mid-range shooter as West is completely off-base.

Boozer's last 3 seasons: 37% from 10-16 feet, 40.5% from 16-23 feet
West's last 3 seasons: 39.5% from 10-16 feet, 52.1% from 16-23 feet

I agree that Aldrich would've been a better fit for us (Diaw/Aldrich bench duo would be really solid), but that doesn't really make West "overrated". I also don't really see people clamoring over West and acting like he's some amazing player. Most people just applaud his willingness to leave money on the table and have talked about how he's been a solid contributor for the Spurs...which he absolutely was during the regular season, just unfortunately hasn't been during the postseason (mainly because his mid-range game has vanished for whatever reason, and also because OKC is a shitty matchup for him).

So yeah, I do think West doesn't need to be playing this many minutes, but 1) Duncan's play isn't helping with that, and 2) calling him the most overrated acquisition since RJ is taking it too far :lol

05-09-2016, 08:03 PM
he surely would not have 2014/15 ring tbh... Phil is nice and all but globally he had one system, did not change much over the years and was good at managing egos... not sure in what world this makes him a better coach than Pop.

for all the shit he gets, no pop no ring that year. Pop just changed the whole nba in one season and still there are people giving him shit :lol

Pop's legacy on the game and FO management is 10 times Phil's one
Pop is a better GM, and finding guys that will buy into his system, but when it comes to Xs and Os, it's hard to put him over Phil or some of the other top 3-5 coaches. The Spurs have had catastrophic choke jobs the last ten years and at some point you have to look at coaching. Of course, the Spurs have won just as much so it balances it out, I suppose.

tholdren
05-09-2016, 08:11 PM
West is a pisspoor rebounder

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 08:29 PM
I don't really get this topic. Your main concern seems to be about West's role and how he shouldn't be playing so many minutes. I agree with that. But then you go on to say that we should've gotten Boozer or Amar'e? Do you really think those guys have any business playing 20+ minutes for a contender?

Dude is a BAD fit alongside Diaw (can't rebound) or LMA (can't roll). Besides shooting, Boozer can actually REBOUND & ROLL (Amar'e also can actually roll & rebound better than West). He's a better passer/shooter than either one but that isn't what the team needs, he is basically an overkill at the forward position just like David Lee was on last season's Warriors.

By the way your statement about how Boozer is as good of a mid-range shooter as West is completely off-base.

Boozer's last 3 seasons: 37% from 10-16 feet, 40.5% from 16-23 feet
West's last 3 seasons: 39.5% from 10-16 feet, 52.1% from 16-23 feet

Who care what he did 3 season ago when he's washed up. Last season, Boozer shot 47% from 10-16 ft & West shot 32% which is the shot he has been missing this postseason. LMA is already the King of long 2s(16-23) so West is overkill unless he's shooting 3s.:rolleyes

I agree that Aldrich would've been a better fit for us (Diaw/Aldrich bench duo would be really solid), but that doesn't really make West "overrated". I also don't really see people clamoring over West and acting like he's some amazing player. Most people just applaud his willingness to leave money on the table and have talked about how he's been a solid contributor for the Spurs...which he absolutely was during the regular season, just unfortunately hasn't been during the postseason (mainly because his mid-range game has vanished for whatever reason, and also because OKC is a shitty matchup for him).

When he started, he got exposed as someone who feasts on backups but can't replicate it against elite competition, it's not the shitty matchup even JaMychal Green abused him. Essentially, there is no good matchup for him unless he playing against bums.:lol (He was an OVERRATED acquisition for the SPURS, he could have had more value to a team that didn't have PFs like the Raptors)

So yeah, I do think West doesn't need to be playing this many minutes, but 1) Duncan's play isn't helping with that, and 2) calling him the most overrated acquisition since RJ is taking it too far :lol
If he's unplayable then who cares how much he sacrificed, that has nothing to do w/ what he does on the court.:wakeup

ViceCity86
05-09-2016, 09:05 PM

"West in the west? That's horrible for the rest" :rollin

Chinook
05-10-2016, 11:08 AM
West is still fine as a power-forward. He's not a center. I'd be fine with him as the starting PF next to LMA for a couple of years. But the team will be poorly served if they roll out that same bench front court another season.

ElNono
05-10-2016, 11:41 AM
If it's for the minimum, why not?

DarrinS
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I don't get the Dick Jefferson comparison.

Chinook
05-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Also, assuming the Spurs make it to the next round, I think West will be fine against a guy like Speights. And if they make it to the Finals, he'll be fine against Frye.

Kawhitstorm
05-10-2016, 01:48 PM
West is still fine as a power-forward. He's not a center. I'd be fine with him as the starting PF next to LMA for a couple of years. But the team will be poorly served if they roll out that same bench front court another season.

Dat rim protection.:lmao

Kawhitstorm
05-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Also, assuming the Spurs make it to the next round, I think West will be fine against a guy like Speights. And if they make it to the Finals, he'll be fine against Frye.

Mr. Brick Feet would get murdered on PnPs involving Fyre/Speight & the Warriors/Cavs ran a train on him at the rim when Tim was out.

The guy can't move his feet, protect the rim or rebound, the only thing he has going for him is long arms for below the rim help defense.

At least Boris can move his feet for a PF & doesn't get murdered on switches. There is a reason why West barely played any minutes against the Warriors when the Spurs beat them w/ Boris in the starting lineup. The only guy he could matchup w/ is Varejao.:lol

Chinook
05-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Dat rim protection.:lmao

You don't ask you PF to protect the rim if you're most teams. The primary reason for that is that there are like two of three PFs who can actually do it.

Kawhitstorm
05-10-2016, 01:59 PM
You don't ask you PF to protect the rim if you're most teams. The primary reason for that is that there are like two of three PFs who can actually do it.
I'm talking about the LMA/West tandem.:wakeup (OKC has feasted on that duo)

Chinook
05-10-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm talking about the LMA/West tandem.:wakeup (OKC has feasted on that duo)

I know what you're talking about. The Spurs aren't likely to get a rim-protector to play next to LMA. It would help to just accept that, because if they do, they will probably be missing out on a good deal of general quality.

Kawhitstorm
05-10-2016, 02:13 PM

Take money out of the equation & just focus on what he was supposed to bring to the table. He would have gotten at least the MLE if it was available meanwhile you have guys that were FAs this summer & were signed for less than the MLE (i.e. Biyambo) outplaying him by a good margin in the playoffs.

Yeah, I don't get the Dick Jefferson comparison.

Dumbass, I didn't say he was JUST like Dick. I SPECIFICALLY stated "SINCE" Dick Jefferson.

Kawhitstorm
05-10-2016, 02:19 PM
I know what you're talking about. The Spurs aren't likely to get a rim-protector to play next to LMA. It would help to just accept that, because if they do, they will probably be missing out on a good deal of general quality.

That "general quality" includes layup lines, parade to the FT line & uncontested rebounds for the opposition. If you want spacing on the floor then might as well sign Speights instead of starting a guy that got outplayed by Luis Scola as a full-time starter.:lol

Mozgov is the type of rim-protector that can be hand for a bargain (let Boban walk) & Diaw is still the best option for small-ball. If PATFO can get Pau for the MLE then West will end up being the 5th big, which is where he belongs on the depth chart.

Chinook
05-10-2016, 02:53 PM
That "general quality" includes layup lines, parade to the FT line & uncontested rebounds for the opposition. If you want spacing on the floor then might as well sign Speights instead of starting a guy that got outplayed by Luis Scola as a full-time starter.:lol

Mozgov is the type of rim-protector that can be hand for a bargain (let Boban walk) & Diaw is still the best option for small-ball. If PATFO can get Pau for the MLE then West will end up being the 5th big, which is where he belongs on the depth chart.

We've been over this ground before. I don't hate the idea of a Mozgov, but I do hate the idea of using the cap space on a center when PF and guards are much more critical needs.

SAGirl
05-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Frankly nooooooooo. I don't want him to be our starting PF next season. He doesn't fit well with LMA TBH. I am with Kstorm that we need a roller not another midrange shooter. I'd rather have a Tiago than him. Really sad for Tiago that he's been injured but he's the kind of guy who would be perfect. Good passer, defender, high BBIQ, low usage, not a good rebounder but he does box out.

Anyways Tiago is risky. His career could be over if he doesn't recover from that surgery with a but more resiliency, so I don't think he's a target for the off-season but he's the type we need.

Kawhitstorm
05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
We've been over this ground before. I don't hate the idea of a Mozgov, but I do hate the idea of using the cap space on a center when PF and guards are much more critical needs.

LMA isn't a rim protector (he's a good postup defender) & an average rebounder. Pau is better centers than LMA, so I don't see what's so great about LMA starting at center when he's most likely going get get worn out to even take advantage on offense.

It's not like LMA is great defending in space either: he looked fine against the Warriors then Curry grilled him when he realized he could just blow by him. Unless low IQ players like WestBrick are bailing him out then the good simply outweighs the bad.

Might as well trade him for Brook Lopez who is a very good rim protector & just as good a rebounder.

There is enough money to get Mozgov/Fournier/Pau so I'm not sure why you're hell bent on West starting.

Mouth is Bleeding
05-10-2016, 05:36 PM

Blood doping ftw.

If we come through the Thunder CIA POP needs to somehow make this a story.

At least if our guys aren't also using these kind of advantages which I guess that I really hope that we do.

I think we do actually.

05-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Blood doping ftw.

If we come through the Thunder CIA POP needs to somehow make this a story.

At least if our guys aren't also using these kind of advantages which I guess that I really hope that we do.

I think we do actually.
Most of these guys are on something. Especially the older guys.

Horse
05-10-2016, 06:40 PM
The guy brings nothing to the table that Diaw already didn't besides acting tough & committing dumb fouls.:rolleyes

He makes the Finley acquisition seem like deal of the century but all the media talk about is how he opt-ed out of his deal when he would have been stealing money from the Pacers like Roy Hibbert.

At this point, is he even better than Luis Scola? (He was getting benched for Scola last season:lol): http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/2/16/8046543/there-is-value-in-david-west-being-there-for-the-pacers

(http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/2/16/8046543/there-is-value-in-david-west-being-there-for-the-pacers)

2011 McDyess was better than this bum but Pop is giving him the 2008 Finley treatment.:rolleyes (Dude is basically Kurt Thomas 2.0) (http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/2/16/8046543/there-is-value-in-david-west-being-there-for-the-pacers)
he's not even a starter. Undersized for this series but he's very valuable in the right matchup

tholdren
05-10-2016, 06:58 PM
No. He's like a SF who can't drive. All he does is shoot jumpers. He gets out rebounded by smaller players, and he's defense is poor. This is an uncanny resemblance of the McDyess situation.

tholdren
05-10-2016, 07:02 PM
He's not a good enough scorer to simply ask him to score. Additionally he doesn't do work inside. West is there to stay even, but that isn't worth another year, IAH

therealtruth
05-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Remember when he used to kill us with the Hornets.

spursistan
05-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Not only does he look washed-up and outmatched, but he is playing unlike a veteran and flat out dumb by taking the most unadvised of fouls..

siraulo23
05-11-2016, 12:22 AM
I appreciate him joining the spurs for the vet min and giving up all that money but he's a liability out there, West had a horrible season and even worse in the POs

UZER
05-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Gotta take him for vet min like we did. That being said, must like Bonner, it's not his fault he is being given so many minutes. He is what he is at this point in his career. He can't take himself out of games.

therealtruth
05-11-2016, 01:43 AM
We need to stop getting these washed up vets because Pop can't help himself.

Kawhitstorm
05-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Where is Mr. Tough Guy D-Worst, Z-Bo is a Real Muphuckin' G:

PrrwkewwQ2w

Kawhitstorm
05-13-2016, 02:04 AM
:rolleyes

spursistan
05-13-2016, 02:11 AM
sometime in March his mid-range got broken and he became totally useless..he would have been unplayable too against GSW/CLE..

Ginobili3
05-13-2016, 02:17 AM
He was useless. Wasn't assertive at all with his jumper and instead went for some fucking janky ass right floater every time he went against Kanter.

PublicOption
05-13-2016, 02:18 AM
$11,000,000........for nthng.

EIC
05-13-2016, 02:30 AM
How many near-prime Duncan years did Dick Jefferson singled-handedly waste? That dude's name should be a curse word in San Antonio.