PDA

View Full Version : Lowe on Adams changing the series, SA Bigs slaughtered and the challenge to go small.

spursistan
05-09-2016, 06:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15492500/staying-steven-adams-helped-thunder-even-their-series-spurs

But there have been changes on the fringes. The Spurs are getting fewer spot-up shots, the best looks in the game, indicating the Thunder are running them off the arc -- and forcing the Spurs to cycle through second, third and fourth options. They have become more dependent on LaMarcus Aldridge (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge) in the post and Tony Parker (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker) on the pick-and-roll. They have scored just 99 points per 100 possessions over those past three games, about 10 points below their season average, and hit a miserable 48 percent on shots in the restricted area -- a mark that would have ranked last by a mile for the season, per NBA.com.
That's where Adams has been living for an astonishing 38 minutes per game over the past three battles, a full 13 minutes more than he logged on average during the season. Adams wouldn't be able to play that much had he not found ways to make himself an offensive threat -- methods that would translate into any team context, and little skills-within-skills that mesh snugly on a team with two uber stars who are going to have the ball almost all the time.

Adams has been the Thunder's third-best player in this series, and he's been so good, Donovan feels emboldened to stretch the gigantic Kanter-Adams double-mustache look over extended minutes. The two behemoths have shared the floor for 36 minutes total over the past three games, and the Thunder have blitzed San Antonio by 12 points over that span, per NBA.com.The Thunder didn't start experimenting with that look until February, and the two centers played only 127 minutes total over 27 games during the regular season. They have Voltron-ed into a weapon against the Spurs. Oklahoma City has rebounded a preposterous 48 percent of its own misses with those two on the floor over the past three games, per NBA.com.
They are just too big and strong for the West-Boris Diaw (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2167/boris-diaw) combination. Those fogies can't compete with Adams-Kanter on the glass, or finish over them on offense. The Spurs suddenly look one big man short. It has never felt more like we are witnessing the final days of Timothy Theodore Duncan. Somewhere over the past few months -- maybe due to a groin injury that sapped some of his conditioning -- Diaw lost a quarter-step or so. And that can mean everything when you can barely jump, and rely on guile to meander your way into flippy shots and silky bankers.
It's tempting to suggest that Gregg Popovich experiment again with going smaller, using Leonard at power forward and Aldridge at center. They could switch that Adams/Durant pin-down, and lots of other actions, without locking themselves into fatal mismatches. Kyle Anderson (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2993874/kyle-anderson) gave the Spurs six good minutes in which he didn't look out of his depth guarding Durant.
But over time, you wonder if Anderson could really hold up. Jonathon Simmons (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2579466/jonathon-simmons)showed hoppy promise during the season, but the coaching staff clearly doesn't trust him now. Even mainstays Ginobili and Green have been hit-or-miss on offense. The Spurs feel a wing short of going small and a big short of playing the way they really want to play. And if they ever did dare go small against Adams-Kanter, they would risk a bludgeoning on the boards so bad as to negate any speed and shooting advantage.

Great read (see embedded GIFs)..Long story short, Tim declining in a heap has complicated this matchup..

And the Spurs are flawed or too inadequate roster-wise to effectively counter it by going small...

spursistan
05-09-2016, 06:49 PM
hater :wow

MaNu4Tres
05-09-2016, 07:00 PM
No mention of Boban.

Boban needs to play. What was an underrated staple in the "beautiful game" offense , from 12'-14' was having that efficient pick and roll guy like Splitter. It sucked in the weakside defense and opened up so much action on the weak-side of the floor.

Without a guy like Splitter or Boban, Spurs don't have that weakside action unless Kawhi or Tony really kills their man off the dribble or creates separation on the drive from the pick at the top (this barely happens). Having a big target like Splitter or Boban rolling to the basket would induce the ball movement Spurs need to beat OKC. Another thing, Bobans' length on defense should negate the effectiveness of Kanter/Adams tandem on the offensive boards. Boban actually played really well vs. the two during the season and in his short stint in the playoffs.

Boban needs to play. If he doesn't play Spurs will likely lose this series just like they did vs. the Grizzlies in 2011 when Pop stubbornly stuck with Bonner/Blair over Splitter vs. Memphis' physical frontcourt.

Mouth is Bleeding
05-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Great article as usual but I do think our small lineup - say Tony,Manu,Danny,Kawhi,LMA would put their bigs into so much trouble that they couldn't stay on the floor.

There is a reason Kanter has been one of the worst bigs defensively in the league, actually the worst I think, for years. Whenever not defending pure ISO he is horrible.

Then when it comes to rebounding it isn't even a given that Diaw or West are better than Kawhi.

But sure, Tim must play a bigger role and West a much lesser one.

It really is painful when losing and our greatest player ever, it feels like haven't even had a chance to turn the tide.

To a lesser extent I felt the same in the deciding game with last season with Manu. Actually I do think it was a Kawhi at the 4 lineup WITH MANU that was by far our best one in that series, yet it never got the chance to close things out if I remember correctly.

Tim and Manu are such proven winners and even now at their age have still been part of unprecedented winning all season.

Now we're depending on guys, certainly David West, who never wins anything. It's frustrating!

sook
05-09-2016, 07:02 PM
just had a thread saying the exact same thing :lol

Mouth is Bleeding
05-09-2016, 07:03 PM
No mention of Boban.

Boban needs to play. What was an underrated staple in the "beautiful game" offense , from 12'-14' was having that efficient pick and roll guy like Splitter. It sucked in the weakside defense and opened up so much action on the weak-side of the floor.

Without a guy like Splitter or Boban, Spurs don't have that weakside action unless Kawhi or Tony really kills their man off the dribble or creates separation on the drive from the pick at the top (this barely happens). Having a big target like Splitter or Boban rolling to the basket would induce the ball movement Spurs need to beat OKC. Another thing, Bobans' length on defense should negate the effectiveness of Kanter/Adams tandem on the offensive boards. Boban actually played really well vs. the two during the season and in his short stint in the playoffs.

Boban needs to play. If he doesn't play Spurs will likely lose this series just like they did vs. the Grizzlies in 2011 when Pop stubbornly stuck with Bonner/Blair over Splitter vs. Memphis' physical frontcourt.

I seriously doubt this. Thiago was one of the best rollers in the league probably. He was perfect with Manu and unlike Boban moves great defensively. I mean he pretty much shut down LMA to take one great example and was a proven pick and roll defender.

I just don't think Boban has that in him at all. He is so much slower and I don't trust his hands either.

MaNu4Tres
05-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Great article as usual but I do think our small lineup - say Tony,Manu,Danny,Kawhi,LMA would put their bigs into so much trouble that they couldn't stay on the floor.

There is a reason Kanter has been one of the worst bigs defensively in the league, actually the worst I think, for years. Whenever not defending pure ISO he is horrible.

Then when it comes to rebounding it isn't even a given that Diaw or West are better than Kawhi.

But sure, Tim must play a bigger role and West a much lesser one.

It really is painful when losing and our greatest player ever, it feels like haven't even had a chance to turn the tide.

To a lesser extent I felt the same in the deciding game with last season with Manu. Actually I do think it was a Kawhi at the 4 lineup WITH MANU that was by far our best one in that series, yet it never got the chance to close things out if I remember correctly.

Tim and Manu are such proven winners and even now at their age have still been part of unprecedented winning all season.

Now we're depending on guys, certainly David West, who never wins anything. It's frustrating!

Duncan is hurt. He couldn't even walk at his sons game last week. The right knee was the only thing holding him up and now its doneso. He's playing on pain killers, trying to tough it out because its likely his last ride.

I wouldn't count on him turning it around since he's essentially playing with no legs.

703 Spurz
05-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Fuck that Mick from Teen Wolf looking son of a bitch.

MaNu4Tres
05-09-2016, 07:11 PM
I seriously doubt this. Thiago was one of the best rollers in the league probably. He was perfect with Manu and unlike Boban moves great defensively. I mean he pretty much shut down LMA to take one great example and was a proven pick and roll defender.

I just don't think Boban has that in him at all. He is so much slower and I don't trust his hands either.

Wasn't implying Boban = Splitter defensively. Was pointing out Boban is like Splitter offensively when comparing how they play the Pick and Roll game ( rolling to the basket). Even Manu has said many times Boban is great in PnR because he's such a huge target rolling to the basket-- the weakside D has to pay attention and cover him -- which opens up the weakside shooters.

Mouth is Bleeding
05-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Wasn't implying Boban = Splitter defensively. Was pointing out Boban is like Splitter offensively when comparing how they play the Pick and Roll game ( rolling to the basket). Even Manu has said many times Boban is great in PnR because he's such a huge target rolling to the basket-- the weakside D has to pay attention and cover him -- which opens up the weakside shooters.

Well, I would try him over constantly going with West, especially with Diaw alongside him, but would still hope, pray and prefer trying Kawhi at the 4 lineups + ideally more Duncan who I really hope isn't as hurt as you say though I'm beginning to fear it.

testies
05-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Series is over, we win in 6

if you don't come out of game 4 with the clear notion that we are much better than them, mentally specially, you're a basketball novice.

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Duncan is hurt. He couldn't even walk at his sons game last week. The right knee was the only thing holding him up and now its doneso. He's playing on pain killers, trying to tough it out because its likely his last ride.

I wouldn't count on him turning it around since he's essentially playing with no legs.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/41/65/72/8871593/3/920x920.jpg

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/77344109-tim-duncan-plays-wheelchair-basketball-with-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=oToYvXs3XPbg5%2BsLNpXWIdheqYpll2O%2BAvDiUmK1Astf dOS8AJeJhghyePAdrS4dJv5oK9gTzIC%2BM9DPg8zdOKv7l4uS RimgfOUeiA5XvHM%3D

Kawhitstorm
05-09-2016, 07:28 PM
No mention of Boban.

This is another area where David West sucks, he can't roll nor hit a freaking mid-range jumper.:bang I miss Baynes::cry

hater
05-09-2016, 07:39 PM
hater :wow

:tu

No time to panic thou. I still feel we are the better team. And even if we were to lose game 5 somehow. This would be a 7 game series. It would be a mirror image of the clippers spurs series last year except we would be in the clippers shoes.

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Splitter might've been a good roller, but what's the point if you're going to get your shit blocked by Ibaka. He was a liability against OKC.

Boban is a better rim protector and doesn't crawl into a fetal position against athletic bigs

ViceCity86
05-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Does Becky,Messina,Udoka have the guts to tell Popovich your rotations suck.

Keepin' it real
05-09-2016, 08:49 PM
If Steven Adams is all it takes to derail a 67 win team, then the Spurs really are fool's gold.

midnightpulp
05-09-2016, 10:01 PM
If Steven Adams is all it takes to derail a 67 win team, then the Spurs really are fool's gold.

Duncan was big part of those wins, though. He did top the DRPM list for the majority of the year, and before the injury, he was shooting around .520 and averaging 9 points per game.

Without a reasonably healthy Duncan, we have no answer for Adams.

midnightpulp
05-09-2016, 10:05 PM
And didn't Pop sign Boban as an insurance policy in case Duncan can't play up to par?

I love Timmy, and emotionally, I'm all for letting him go out fighting on the court, but front of the jersey. If he's having problems early keeping Adams in check, give Boban some burn.

spurs10
05-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Duncan was big part of those wins, though. He did top the DRPM list for the majority of the year, and before the injury, he was shooting around .520 and averaging 9 points per game.

Without a reasonably healthy Duncan, we have no answer for Adams. I don't think Tim is injured or any worse off than he was at the end of the season. He got a 4 fouls put on him and Pop took him out the game. We had the lead the entire time he played. If he is injured it's news to me. He will play in Game 5 and we will win. I think Pop just wanted to see what our guys had in them and the game turned quickly.

slick'81
05-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Duncan looks done its fucking sad

TheDoctor
05-09-2016, 11:02 PM

http://i.imgur.com/BxvxL.gif

Sean Cagney
05-10-2016, 02:06 AM
Duncan looks done its fucking sad

This tbh :(

DenialTwist
05-10-2016, 04:21 AM
I don't know why people keep saying Boban needs to play. Pop is not going to play him now late in the series. Pop is going down with the ship. Pop hasn't even played the best lineup yet, he is stubborn. Ginobili / Diaw / Green / Leonard / Aldridge

Gervin44Silas13
05-10-2016, 07:17 AM
All that resting Duncan has gone to shit we should be up 3-1

cd98
05-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Boban doesn't have Tim's knowledge of team defense or playoff experience. It would be desperation and likely surrender to bench Duncan for Boban. Even at this age, Duncan has some big games in him. I think he has one of his better games tonight.

wildbill2u
05-10-2016, 10:53 AM

I've been looking for info on his knees to come out because you can tell he can hardly walk or move under the basket--and was pitching up scoop shots from 3 ft because he couldn't get to the rim or move right. Wonder why the Spurs haven't acknowledged this. If I can spot it, then the pros on the OKC sideline can spot it and take advantage. Adams/Cantor just throw him around and he falls to the floor.

Keepin' it real
05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
I've been looking for info on his knees to come out because you can tell he can hardly walk or move under the basket--and was pitching up scoop shots from 3 ft because he couldn't get to the rim or move right. Wonder why the Spurs haven't acknowledged this. If I can spot it, then the pros on the OKC sideline can spot it and take advantage. Adams/Cantor just throw him around and he falls to the floor.

Too proud. Don't want to make excuses. I usually applaud this, but not now.

It's a way for Pop to avoid criticism for not playing Boban, who at this point is a more viable option. But there's no way in hell Pop will give Tim's minutes in his final playoffs to a crowd favorite borderline freak show in Boban. Pop loves Tim too much to do that. Loyalty to a fault. It's bittersweet.

Horse
05-10-2016, 12:21 PM
No mention of Boban.

Atleast against there bench. Many feel we beat the grizz in '11 if Pop played Splitter more.

YGWHI
05-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Lowe say if the Spurs go small, Adam rebounding would kill us, but he forgets that Kawhi/LMA/Kyle are really good at it, too.

tmtcsc
05-10-2016, 03:53 PM
The only thing Boban could do now is tire Adams out with his body and size. Boban is a bad rebounder, doesn't move well defensively and is careless with the ball in a crowd. For as big as his hands are, they are comparatively weak. Oh, and Kanter is a fucking scrub. Someone just needs to put a body on that mother fucker. He's mentally weak and not tough at all. West should be able to handle him.

Diaw's defense was poor in game 4. He failed to close out on Kanter when he made his 3. He just flat out didn't even make the effort.

If the Spurs lose tonight or even get pushed to 7, they can fuck off until next year. They won't beat Golden State or Cleveland.

Golden State took care of business with their MVP not even suiting up. That's impressive no matter how much I despise that team and their antics.

TD 21
05-10-2016, 06:08 PM
I suspect Lowe is close with Presti and/or others in their front office, because he's always been an obvious Thunder homer.

I don't get how someone so connected either doesn't realize or won't acknowledge that Duncan looking like he does is the result of injury.

The biggest reason this series is closer than many anticipated, is because the Spurs' depth advantage isn't nearly as pronounced as many thought and it's not just because of the big rotation issues.

This team reminds me somewhat of the '03 one, only in this case it's not revisionist history. People look at the collection of names instead of where they're at in this moment of time.

therealtruth
05-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Atleast against there bench. Many feel we beat the grizz in '11 if Pop played Splitter more.

I felt that way. We saw what a healthy Splitter could do when they swept the Grizz in '13.