PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: T-Mac says Steph Curry winning the MVP means the league is watered down

Caltex2
05-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Let the games begin.

Even as a 90's nostalgia enthusiast such as myself, that's a terrible take imo and coming from one of the more underachieving players in NBA history to boot. The past couple weeks not withstanding, at least he was healthy enough to make his mark and win a title (and round of the playoffs) or two.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/05/10/tracy-mcgrady-stephen-curry-unanimous-mvp-video?xid=si_social

“For him to be that first player to get that unanimously, I think it tells you how watered-down our league is,” McGrady said on ESPN’s The Jump. “Seriously. Because think of when M.J. played, Shaq, I mean those guys really played against top-notch competition, more superstars I think on more teams ... but it’s well-deserved.”

Again, unbelieveable coming from him.

Molotov
05-11-2016, 12:33 AM
:lol Today's NBA.

~O~
05-11-2016, 01:01 AM
I...sort of agree. LOOK AT THE EAST THE PAST what.............6 years. Reigning mental midgets of teams from generations of late 2000's and early 2010 drafts that didn't accomplish shit but choking. Even the west isn't as deep as it was. Most of the league is full of spoiled irrelevant cunts who don't want to win and are truly on their "Don't worry be happy" millionaire shit or/are annually bending over for any team Lebanon is on.

That's my harsh way of putting it.

The league is watered down because few players truly want to work hard or become something the NBA hasn't ever seen. Curry and the warriors set themselves apart from the rest of these underachieving teams by destroying the Bull's ceiling.

Only very few players have gotten it and fortunately for the Warriors, they got the right players out of the late drafts.

The Spurs are always an exception but everyone else, nope. I mostly blame the league incompetence on the east and its weak minded players who don't care enough to win. They feel more so like grown children then the men that played in the early 2000's and prior 90's. They're less traditional and more spoiled.

Curry deserved it unanimously, no doubt but T-Mac is NOT taking shots at him. He's taking shots at these other twat teams. Broadcasters and Journalism doesn't help shit when they're promoting the same players and brainwashing people world wide however. Individual players such as Derozan, Wall, Jackson, Cousins, Drummond, Harris, Ellis Anthony, DO NOT do enough or did enough to set themselves apart. Settlers..comfortable with their beta position in the league.

False sense of entitlement, selfish, irrelevant, unoriginal, stale, arrogant, overly confident or timid, audacious.... etc...is what I would describe and number of players getting held back by these various traits.

Ot

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2016, 01:03 AM
perimeter league and many chucking ballhogs who play no defense

nash b2b and this scrub winning b2b mvp... lame

lefty
05-11-2016, 01:14 AM
yup

sook
05-11-2016, 02:06 AM
yup

wth you traitor, change your avatar.

Caltex2
05-11-2016, 02:30 AM
It still seems funny coming from T-Mac.

That said, at the risk of cueing the Grandpa Simpson headline, the Warriors would be a 62-65-win team in the 90's NBA, bar none. There'd be better coaching and defense to stop them.

Gummi Clutch
05-11-2016, 02:36 AM
he's right stupid.

Caltex2
05-11-2016, 03:59 AM
Just because he's right doesn't mean he should be the source. T-Mac did a lot of talking in his career and rarely backed it up. After Orlando, he barely had enough court time to even try to win an MVP, IIRC he only had 2-3 full seasons after 2004, no more than 4. He lost a lot of coin flip series where if he was half the star Steph Curry was, he'd have led his team to a win in and perhaps gone much farther.

Gummi Clutch
05-11-2016, 04:03 AM
he's right stupid.

Caltex2
05-11-2016, 04:16 AM
he's right stupid.

Do you even have a semi-intelligent response? I thought we both agreed he was right?

Gummi Clutch
05-11-2016, 04:18 AM
Do you even have a semi-intelligent response? I thought we both agreed he was right?
He's right stupid.

Caltex2
05-11-2016, 04:21 AM
T-Mac thinks Gummi Clutch licks balls.

Gummi Clutch
05-11-2016, 05:06 AM
T-Mac thinks Gummi Clutch licks balls.
why are you thinking about licking my balls. They belong to the 6.7/10 tinder chick next to me for the night.

The Gemini Method
05-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Watered down? Maybe. With probably two two to 4 teams too many, it is inevitable. Does it mean Stephen Curry is any less deserving of the MVP? Not at all. While I do agree with an earlier post that today's NBA players have a false sense of entitlement, lack any substantial work ethic, and have it easier that past generations. That is indicative of the world we cohabit in as a whole. Exposure is to be had by all. There isn't any mystery to sports anymore with dissection a million times over with the advent of social media, round-the-clock sports news and blogs. Often times the quickest opinion is labeled the choice one when it is posted in nanoseconds. It is funny, though, McGrady opening his yap about being "watered down" when his whole career was basically a watered down money grab. What a waste of plausible talent with a drive fit for 2010 NBA basketball and not the 90/00 in which he resided in.

DMC
05-11-2016, 08:05 AM
He's right. It's watered down because somewhere in that conversation is James Harden.

DarrinS
05-11-2016, 09:16 AM
Meh, didn't Nash win twice?

dg7md
05-11-2016, 09:25 AM
He's right in a way, but at the same time, it's the era we're in now. In another 10 years maybe the big man will dominate again. Curry will go down as the best 3-point shooter of all time, no shame in him winning MVP twice.

05-11-2016, 09:33 AM

He's right in a way, but at the same time, it's the era we're in now. In another 10 years maybe the big man will dominate again. Curry will go down as the best 3-point shooter of all time, no shame in him winning MVP twice.

It's not about him winning twice though, it's about it being unanimous for the first time

Bynumite
05-11-2016, 10:14 AM
It really doesn't mean shit. There should have been an unanimous MVP before. Shaq and Lebron for example.

But there's always a few dick riding faggots among the voters.

Caltex2
05-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Watered down? Maybe. With probably two two to 4 teams too many, it is inevitable. Does it mean Stephen Curry is any less deserving of the MVP? Not at all. While I do agree with an earlier post that today's NBA players have a false sense of entitlement, lack any substantial work ethic, and have it easier that past generations. That is indicative of the world we cohabit in as a whole. Exposure is to be had by all. There isn't any mystery to sports anymore with dissection a million times over with the advent of social media, round-the-clock sports news and blogs. Often times the quickest opinion is labeled the choice one when it is posted in nanoseconds. It is funny, though, McGrady opening his yap about being "watered down" when his whole career was basically a watered down money grab. What a waste of plausible talent with a drive fit for 2010 NBA basketball and not the 90/00 in which he resided in.

Exactly, just because the rest of the NBA is dogging it doesn't mean Steph isn't doing his thing.

HarlemHeat37
05-11-2016, 03:09 PM
:lmao McGrady's prime was in the worst Eastern Conference stretch in NBA history, tbh..

Not sure why anybody still listens to genetic lottery winners' "analysis", anyways..Curry being unanimous has nothing to do with the quality of the league, it's about the voters, there have been several other guys in the past that should have been unanimous, too..most of these voters are old media that came up watching the 80s and 90s, you have idiots like Bill Worrell voting Trevor Ariza 3rd in DPOY and Harden top 5 in MVP:lol..

Raven
05-11-2016, 03:27 PM
it has nothing to do with the talent and everything to do with analytics making less arguable who is what.

ambchang
05-11-2016, 06:04 PM
:lmao McGrady's prime was in the worst Eastern Conference stretch in NBA history, tbh..

Not sure why anybody still listens to genetic lottery winners' "analysis", anyways..Curry being unanimous has nothing to do with the quality of the league, it's about the voters, there have been several other guys in the past that should have been unanimous, too..most of these voters are old media that came up watching the 80s and 90s, you have idiots like Bill Worrell voting Trevor Ariza 3rd in DPOY and Harden top 5 in MVP:lol..

So of transition of harden being second in MVP to an enlightened group of new age media types only took a year, eh? Pretty fast transition if you ask me.

The new age is so good that even changes happen faster.

ambchang
05-11-2016, 06:04 PM
it has nothing to do with the talent and everything to do with analytics making less arguable who is what.

In theory, all awards should be unanimous in the future then.

Caltex2
05-11-2016, 06:05 PM

I love Bill, I grew up watching and listening to his broadcasts but that's almost indefensible...as a matter of fact, it is indefensible. And yep, there were instances, particularly with Shaq and Jordan, where it should have been unanimous on who the MVP was. Curry is unanimous but Jordan never was? :lmao What a joke, even if Curry is very deserving.

Buddy Mignon
05-11-2016, 06:09 PM

White privilege.

05-11-2016, 07:08 PM
why are you thinking about licking my balls. They belong to the 6.7/10 tinder chick next to me for the night.Gave up on the celibate life I see

05-11-2016, 07:11 PM
It's not about him winning twice though, it's about it being unanimous for the first time
Finally the voters got it right :tu

Modern media :tu

Kawhitstorm
05-12-2016, 01:32 AM
2XxT0zI2W7Y

w8ADHuRjSkU

Caltex2
05-12-2016, 02:43 AM
2XxT0zI2W7Y

w8ADHuRjSkU

Which is exactly why he shouldn't be talking about how overrated someone is, even he acknowledges his own career shortcomings.

Caltex2
05-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Or better put, he shouldn't be commenting and diminishing someone else's accomplishments.

Killakobe81
05-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Chuck agreed with tmac on Dan Patrick's show yesterday ...
Both great players especially Chuck but both making excuses on why they have no rings ...."it was tougher in my day!!!!!"

daslicer
05-12-2016, 09:20 AM
It still seems funny coming from T-Mac.

That said, at the risk of cueing the Grandpa Simpson headline, the Warriors would be a 62-65-win team in the 90's NBA, bar none. There'd be better coaching and defense to stop them.

I have looked back to the NBA mvp voting starting from the start of the 90's until now. It's pretty amazing with you look at the guys who were in the top 10 and compare them to the top 10 guys today. For example in the '95 MVP voting Penny Hardaway finished in 10th place whereas in 2016 Lowry was in 10th place. There is definitely a sharp contrast in talent. The other thing I have noticed is back then at least 3 of the top 5 vote getters were bigmen except for the 96 and 98 seasons. That's not the case anymore especially this year. Draymond Green was the only big to be in the top 10 for MVP voting and I don't even consider him a true big. It really shows you how perimeter oriented this league has become when you have no bigs in the top 10 for MVP voting. Down below I have put links down that show you the top 10 MVP vote getters for this year and the top 10 for ever year of the 90's.

Top 10 vote getters today https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4ipxed/2016_nba_most_valuable_player_award_complete/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1991.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1992.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1993.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1994.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1995.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1996.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1997.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1998.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1999.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2000.html

Bynumite
05-12-2016, 10:34 AM
McGrady is too young to be this bitter about modern NBA but i guess getting 6'ed and ending your career ringless will do that to you.