PDA

View Full Version : No bobans? No miller? No simmons? Why are they even here?

poop
05-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Drunk pop/stubborn pop is back in full force...we're getting killed on rebounds and inside yet pop keeps two 6-9 guys and the corpse of duncan on the floor while our 7-3 guy sits on the bench, the one guy who would actually change things up, get rebounds, contest shots, can hit freethrows etc...

No one other than 38yr old ginobili as main ball handler while parker and mills fail epically at PG duties...isnt that what andre miller is for? A steady hand, dependable traditional PG?? He rides the bench.

Getting killed on athleticism, no one other than leonard can actually attack basket...while our proven, athletic slasher rides the bench.

Even when it is readily apparent we need EXACTLY WHAT THESE PLAYERS ARE HERE FOR, Pop doesnt play ANY OF THEM ONE SINGLE MINUTE.

Reminds me of the Bonner-as-starting-center years while servicable, athletic black bigs sat at the end of the bench getting zero playing time, watching Duncan getting worn down game after game because he was LITERALLY THE ONLY BIG WE HAD.

Most overrated coach ever.

said7
05-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Getting killed on athleticism

Put Miller and Boban in. Makes sense.

Spur|n|Austin
05-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Most overrated coach ever.

I agree his rotations are terrible this series, but that comment is fucking laughable.

spursistan
05-11-2016, 12:42 PM
because..see your "username"..

TheGreatYacht
05-11-2016, 01:26 PM
OP's Username is perfect :lmao

Poopovich

Kawhitstorm
05-11-2016, 02:19 PM
They are on the roster to stroke Pop's ego.:wakeup

MultiTroll
05-11-2016, 03:03 PM
all true

Budkin
05-11-2016, 03:05 PM
It's fucking maddening. Makes ZERO sense.

Kikoluna
05-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Especially boban not playing when Kyle IS

ducks
05-11-2016, 04:14 PM
think simons got hurt

spurtech09
05-11-2016, 04:18 PM
The only guy in there that should be playing is Boban....The dude can play.

MultiTroll
05-11-2016, 04:43 PM
think simons got hurt
based on what?

tholdren
05-11-2016, 05:38 PM
It's fucking maddening. Makes ZERO sense.
for 20k posts you must not have watched many pop coached playoff teams... ONLY PLAYS HIS PLAYERS. NO IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS.

Vokun
05-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Pop is the most overrated coach ever. Without the greatest PF of all time and another hall of famer in Manu, Pop wouldn't be shit. Hell, you can argue that Pop cost Duncan 2 more championships

Budkin
05-11-2016, 06:26 PM
for 20k posts you must not have watched many pop coached playoff teams... ONLY PLAYS HIS PLAYERS. NO IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS.

I've seen it hundreds of times, but it still makes no sense. The worst one of all IMO was benching Nazr against Dallas in 2006 because he took a 3 pointer. What the fuck was that shit??

PublicOption
05-11-2016, 07:20 PM
67 games won with simmons and boban contributing and 0 minutes.

DMC
05-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Oh look, someone realized the rotations are shorter in the playoffs suddenly.

SAGirl
05-11-2016, 07:38 PM
think simons got hurt
There were news he had suffered an ankle injury in the last game of the grizz series. It likely prevented him from practice but he's not on the injured list so he should be fine by now.

tholdren
05-11-2016, 08:08 PM
There were news he had suffered an ankle injury in the last game of the grizz series. It likely prevented him from practice but he's not on the injured list so he should be fine by now.
If he were fine KA wouldn't get any PT.

Snaq O'Meal
05-11-2016, 08:28 PM
I've seen it hundreds of times, but it still makes no sense. The worst one of all IMO was benching Nazr against Dallas in 2006 because he took a 3 pointer. What the fuck was that shit??

That is the clearest sign that a certain hypocrite never got over himself (and I'm not referring to the 3-point shooter).

Obi Juan Kenobi
05-11-2016, 08:35 PM
That is the clearest sign that a certain hypocrite never got over himself (and I'm not referring to the 3-point shooter).

Love your screen name!!!

:bobo

Sean Cagney
05-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Pop seems to make good in the series adjustments and gets out coached in a few series I remember but I would not call him the most overrated coach ever by any means. His rotations suck at times though I admit, when they are not working he needs to ditch a certain line up but for some reason he sticks with it like it will work the next time. This does get on my nerves.

Ditty
05-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Unless it's offensive rebound city early, Pop is probably going eight deep tomorrow.

Duncan/Aldridge
Aldridge/Diaw
Kawhi/Manu
Green/Manu
Parker/Mills

I could live with this lineup in an elimination game. If we are getting outrebounded badly again, Pop must release the Boban at least early and see what he does especially if we have a double digit lead like we have had both games in OKC.

Nbadan
05-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Duncan/Aldridge
Aldridge/Diaw
Kawhi/Manu
Green/Manu
Parker/Mills

On such a quick turn around ..too many minutes for Duncan and Manu IMO...so I expect POP to go with West and Anderson again....

Ditty
05-12-2016, 12:29 AM
On such a quick turn around ..too many minutes for Duncan and Manu IMO...so I expect POP to go with West and Anderson again....

They have been resting all year, and haven't look very tired at all this series. I'm pretty sure they can play at most 20 minutes, with Aldridge/Leonard getting close to 40 minutes.

Nbadan
05-12-2016, 12:58 AM
West is gonna get some burn....money....the Kanter-Adams combo have done a good job keeping a mediocre rebounding team off the offensive boards....that is where this series is being lost...

Ditty
05-12-2016, 01:11 AM
West is gonna get some burn....money....the Kanter-Adams combo have done a good job keeping a mediocre rebounding team off the offensive boards....that is where this series is being lost...

It looked like he got away from West/Diaw in the second half last night at least. Hopefully he moves away from West if he isn't rebounding tomorrow, and it won't be too late but yeah I bet he gets some burn tomorrow but with being on the floor with either Aldridge/Duncan in some lineups.

ancestron
05-12-2016, 02:01 AM
Start Boban. Let him use up his fouls. Fuck it. Maybe gain that desperately needed rebounding edge, at least for a minute.

Spurtacular
05-12-2016, 09:14 AM
I called for inserting these guys in Game 4 when we were up 2-1; made a thread about it.

Fireball
05-12-2016, 09:23 AM
I would like to see Boban ... especially when Westbrook is not on the court and p&r is limited, but its not gonna happen with Pop I guess

Simmons can give us nothing ... I only see him attacking and losing the ball on the way to the rim leading to OKC fastbreaks

MultiTroll
05-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Simmons can give us nothing ... I only see him attacking and losing the ball on the way to the rim leading to OKC fastbreaks
Turnovers per 38 minutes
3.1 Ginobili
2.5 Diaw
2.4 Parker
2.3 Simmons
2.1 Tim Duncan

It's a myth that Simmons is some turn machine compared to other Spurs.

MultiTroll
05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
I called for inserting these guys in Game 4 when we were up 2-1; made a thread about it.
dk it it's threadworthy to show how Simmons turnovers, while needing improvement are less per minute then Parker, GNob and Diaw.

I really want the Spurs to win this series. I'm sure we agree Simmons athleticism, along with the no brainer of playing Boban could be a spark. Sure as fark could not hurt.

About Simmons turnovers, or lack of. Thread worthy at this point, you want to post? I cannot start one as Multi Moderator did not like my "Can Pop match wits with Billy Donovan?" thread. A completely legit question.

Gervin44Silas13
05-12-2016, 10:44 AM

WTF he rested them all season.....Pop has made Duncan into a wuss in this series

05-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Pop's problem has always been standing pat after success. It's probably a big reason the Spurs have never pulled off a repeat. He thinks if something works before, it'll work again. To his credit, his strategy has given the Spurs 5 championship but it's frustrating when someone doesn't want to keep improving or getting better after a win.

Even when the Spurs were up 2-1, the Spurs problems were so obvious. They were 50-50 in two close games. The bench was struggling, especially on offense and against OKC's bigs and the Pop should have played Simmons and Boban. Now, it's probably too late. Instead, Pop went with Aldridge for around 40 minutes and how he's tired out.

If you look over on the Thunder side, Donovan made adjustments and gave Randy Foye minutes, which resulted in a couple of 3's that no one on the Thunder bench would have made. You have to wonder, maybe if the Spurs were down 2-1, Pop would have made the bench adjustments and it would be the Thunder who missed out.

MultiTroll
05-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Rebounds reg season

Per 100 possessions
19.6 Boban
14.9 Timmy Duncan
14.3 LMA
11.3 DWest
10.6 Kwa

Per 36 minutes
13.7 Boban
10.5 Duncan
10.1 LMA

05-12-2016, 06:31 PM
I don't know how much of a difference Boban and Simmons will make this late in the series. But Pop should put them in for the gamble. Worst case scenario, Spurs lose anyways but Boban and Simmons gain some real playoff experience so they won't be so green next year.

The Spurs still have a future to think about... Leonard looks absolutely focused out there and LMA still has a couple of good years left. I expect Simmons to take over the facilitating role from Manu and even play back up PG. And Boban should be able to wreck any bench big.

Playing the two will be a risk since the Spurs have been spectacular in taking care of the ball, keeping turnovers under 10 for most of the series. But if it's better than trotting out the same lineup and expecting different results.

TheGreatYacht
05-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Rebounds reg season

Per 100 possessions
19.6 Boban
14.9 Timmy Duncan
14.3 LMA
11.3 DWest
10.6 Kwa

Per 36 minutes
13.7 Boban
10.5 Duncan
10.1 LMA
You'd expect a bunch "analytics" people to notice something like this, but they don't :lol 2016 Diaw is one of the worst rebounders I've ever seen