PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Truth. Stuff to watch for game 6 and beyond.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Well, here we are. The Spurs are on the brink. This could be the Genesis of a memorable and historic playoff run, could be the swan song of multiple hall-of-fame careers. Here's what needs to happen to avoid the latter.

Note: Since my Danny Green avatar worked perfectly to fix what ails him, I'm using my mojo on the whole team. GSG, tbh.

Gang rebound
The Spurs have success when they go for rebounds as a group and tip them to each other. Nobody's in a hurry to get back on offense, so securing defensive rebounds is vital. Keeping the ball from the opponent gives your team a chance. They haven't been able to sit back and just wait for OKC to turn the ball over, so opportunities count. Grab those boards.

Return to Defense
Where did that incredible defense from the beginning of the season go? Lots of sagging, lots of cheating, lots of late rotations equals the Thunder getting a lot of what they want. We already know OKC is going to get the lion's share of the calls, so don't give them a single easy basket. Contrary to what some people think, you can prevent easy baskets without having to hard foul anyone. Save the hard fouls to prevent and-1 situations.

Defense also helps your offense. Turnovers lead to fast break opportunities, which the Spurs need badly. Push the ball in live-ball situations.

Where my Ball Movement at?
Game 1 of this series made many of us think The Beautiful GameŠ was back. Turns out it was just a fluke and we watched them go back to post up and stand around. Who would have thought Danny Green would be out of his slump and the Spurs would still be struggling to score?

Emulate the Superior Team
We have spent most of this season talking about how the Warriors were going to burn themselves out by playing hard every night, when what's actually happened is they are a team that never takes a play off and is mentally strong. Meanwhile the well-rested Spurs go on a 10-2 run and then allow the opponent to catch back up, then keep the score close enough to get screwed by a 50/50 ball or a non-call. Rest time is over. Time for the Spurs to realize they aren't as good as everyone says, especially if they don't start playing hard for 48 minutes.

Prediction: The Spurs won't do any of the shit I suggested. Thunder in 6. It ends tonight.

TampaDude
05-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Well, here we are. The Spurs are on the brink. This could be the Genesis of a memorable and historic playoff run, could be the swan song of multiple hall-of-fame careers. Here's what needs to happen to avoid the latter.

Note: Since my Danny Green avatar worked perfectly to fix what ails him, I'm using my mojo on the whole team. GSG, tbh.

Gang rebound
The Spurs have success when they go for rebounds as a group and tip them to each other. Nobody's in a hurry to get back on offense, so securing defensive rebounds is vital. Keeping the ball from the opponent gives your team a chance. They haven't been able to sit back and just wait for OKC to turn the ball over, so opportunities count. Grab those boards.

Return to Defense
Where did that incredible defense from the beginning of the season go? Lots of sagging, lots of cheating, lots of late rotations equals the Thunder getting a lot of what they want. We already know OKC is going to get the lion's share of the calls, so don't give them a single easy basket. Contrary to what some people think, you can prevent easy baskets without having to hard foul anyone. Save the hard fouls to prevent and-1 situations.

Defense also helps your offense. Turnovers lead to fast break opportunities, which the Spurs need badly. Push the ball in live-ball situations.

Game 1 of this series made many of us think The Beautiful GameŠ was back. Turns out it was just a fluke and we watched them go back to post up and stand around. Who would have thought Danny Green would be out of his slump and the Spurs would still be struggling to score?

We have spent most of this season talking about how the Warriors were going to burn themselves out by playing hard every night, when what's actually happened is they are a team that never takes a play off and is mentally strong. Meanwhile the well-rested Spurs go on a 10-2 run and then allow the opponent to catch back up, then keep the score close enough to get screwed by a 50/50 ball or a non-call. Rest time is over. Time for the Spurs to realize they aren't as good as everyone says, especially if they don't start playing hard for 48 minutes.

Prediction: The Spurs won't do any of the shit I suggested. Thunder in 6. It ends tonight.

^this, tbh

Dubs would've humiliated us in the WCF, anyway.

nkdlunch
05-12-2016, 11:01 AM
just want it more than them and we'll be fine

Budkin
05-12-2016, 11:03 AM

DarrinS
05-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Kawhi will get heavy minutes and play like a man possessed.

DarrinS
05-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Russ is overdue for one of his boneheaded games

Amuseddaysleeper
05-12-2016, 11:34 AM
What play frustrated me towards the end of Game 5 was when the Spurs forced a turnover and Parker SLOWS DOWN to let the Thunder set back up on defense instead of hitting them on the break. Spurs seem too cautious instead of running the ball down OKC's throat.

spurs1990
05-12-2016, 11:56 AM
History, both cumulative and recent, says a Spurs win tonight is highly unlikely.

There's too many factors going against them on top of everything OP laid out. Plus you need the opposing team to play sub-par, which is also not a good bet.

I expect a loss, but on the other hand a win tonight would almost be as gratifying as winning this series.
And there is the fact that bettors are still laying money on SA for whatever reason....

End of an era or huge gut check, everyone should be tuned in heavily.

Budkin
05-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Russ is overdue for one of his boneheaded games

Nah he's saving those up for the GSW series. I'm sure every single game.

Gervin44Silas13
05-12-2016, 12:06 PM
What play frustrated me towards the end of Game 5 was when the Spurs forced a turnover and Parker SLOWS DOWN to let the Thunder set back up on defense instead of hitting them on the break. Spurs seem too cautious instead of running the ball down OKC's throat.

NO fucken shit and they start passing the ball around like the fucken Harlem Globtroters....WTF?????????????????????????

Gervin44Silas13
05-12-2016, 12:08 PM
History, both cumulative and recent, says a Spurs win tonight is highly unlikely.

There's too many factors going against them on top of everything OP laid out. Plus you need the opposing team to play sub-par, which is also not a good bet.

I expect a loss, but on the other hand a win tonight would almost be as gratifying as winning this series.
And there is the fact that bettors are still laying money on SA for whatever reason....

End of an era or huge gut check, everyone should be tuned in heavily.

Tim coulda had legs if hed stop fucking Vanessa Macias

Women weaken legs

Horse
05-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Gang rebound
Return to Defense

okc got 15 offenisve rebounds and only scored 95(26 of those at the line) what more do you want from the D. REFS they are the only thing that needs to change. If we don't blow them out the zebras will take it from us.

Horse
05-12-2016, 12:43 PM
If all of you are certain of defeat why are you still hanging around here?

DPG21920
05-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks for this op :tu

My 2c: Make f*cking shots! I DGAF if it's bs or good offense - rain a sh*t storm of shots down on the Thunder

Obstructed_View
05-12-2016, 12:57 PM
If all of you are certain of defeat why are you still hanging around here?

You have to think the team you root for is going to win in order to discuss the team?

ernest787
05-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Spurs are going to get pounded tonight. I just hope they show some fight.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2016, 04:22 PM
okc got 15 offenisve rebounds and only scored 95(26 of those at the line) what more do you want from the D.

Check the last ten minutes of the previous two games and then come back to me if you still don't think "grab those boards" is good advice.

Obstructed_View
05-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Spurs are going to get pounded tonight. I just hope they show some fight.

Frankly, if they show some fight they win the game. I just don't really think they will.

lefty20
05-12-2016, 05:02 PM
I'd prefer to losing via a blowout over these cruel ways we've been so far.

DMC
05-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Screw Tim, Screw Manu, Screw Tony..

That's the formula to win. Other guys have to step up, stop trying to involve Tim out of respect, and stop deferring to Tony fucking Parker. Make him mad, fuck him.