PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi needs to spend the Summer with Kobe, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Pop has already stated that they are going to attempt a Summer workout with Kobe and Kawhi IIRC..We all hate that snitching coon, but it really needs to happen, tbh..

His rise to stardom has been unconventional and unique..not only was he unexpected to reach this level, but he was groomed in an unselfish system where he deferred to 3 HOFers and a renowned system..

The skills are still developing(particularly the handles) and hold him back from being a consistent superstar option on offense, but more than anything, he needs to find the voice in his head that forces him to become a killer, tbh..he's still way too passive and reluctant to dominate..

This team has already gutted any future title aspirations by building around Carmelo Aldridge, the only hope is for Kawhi to keep rising..

TE
05-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Agreed. I stated that in the game thread. Fuck deferring. Guy just doesn't have it right now.

Mugen
05-12-2016, 08:38 PM
:lol so he can quit when the team doesn't surround him with HOF big men?

Fuck that, RC just needs to jettison Porky and hopefully Pop retires tbh

apalisoc_9
05-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Needs kobe for sure. Save us Black Mamba!

Splits
05-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Sign & trade for Durant

daslicer
05-12-2016, 08:42 PM
As much as I hate Kobe I actually agree with this simply because Kobe was a natural scorer despite being inefficient. Kobe definitely could work with Kawhi how to be more creative offensively along with giving Kawhi some tricks on how to score easier. Another thing I hope Kawhi could pick up from Kobe is how to work the refs since Kobe was great at that.

kobexxx
05-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Relax its only the 1st half.. There's 2 more quarters to make a run

daslicer
05-12-2016, 08:44 PM

A team rarely comes back from 20 plus point deficit in the NBA.

jARS mEsH sEt
Kobe could teach him elite footwork in the post.

Spur|n|Austin

:lol :lol :lol

Southwest Texas Fan
05-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Pop has already stated that they are going to attempt a Summer workout with Kobe and Kawhi IIRC..We all hate that snitching coon, but it really needs to happen, tbh..

His rise to stardom has been unconventional and unique..not only was he unexpected to reach this level, but he was groomed in an unselfish system where he deferred to 3 HOFers and a renowned system..

The skills are still developing(particularly the handles) and hold him back from being a consistent superstar option on offense, but more than anything, he needs to find the voice in his head that forces him to become a killer, tbh..he's still way too passive and reluctant to dominate..

This team has already gutted any future title aspirations by building around Carmelo Aldridge, the only hope is for Kawhi to keep rising..

Really? Wow I hadn't heard that.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2016, 08:47 PM
You can argue that it's something he could have learned from Tim, but that simply isn't possible IMO..

Tim Duncan and David Robinson are the ONLY superstars in NBA history that were "humble" and "reserved", yet were able to dominate the game at a historic level(no, Hakeem wasn't, he was known to have a bad temper, etc)..the superstar players in this league are assholes, they need to demand the ball and accept that sometimes you have to be selfish and take shit upon yourself..

Kawhi is still limited, offensively, from a superstar standpoint..I'm not saying he isn't, he still has a ton of work to do, but look how far he's already come..the work ethic is already there, but that isn't enough, he needs to accept the mentality of a superstar, too..

RD2191
05-12-2016, 08:49 PM
It's all on Pop. He's the coach. He failed to give this team any offensive identity.

midnightpulp
05-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Kawhi as a first option :lmao

Brian Windhorst
05-12-2016, 08:51 PM
He can't use contact at all. Going straight up or fading away in the post against players with similar length...

This is fundamental stuff smh..

K...
05-12-2016, 08:52 PM
It's all on Pop. He's the coach. He failed to give this team any offensive identity.

What identity are you going to make with these players?

Harlem is right, Kobe was a selfish player, guess what Kobe is? Shit trade kawhi to the Lakers for Russell and the pick.

siraulo23
05-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Kawhi had a great season but this is probably his peak tbh

his 3 point % will go down next season

he just doesnt have that quick first step to be an elite offensive threat. Great worker, great character, but not a natural scorer

K...

With the autism he gets overwhelmed. If he could just clear his head he'd be fine.

tholdren

kl is worse than your post.

K...
Kawhi had a great season but this is probably his peak tbh

his 3 point % will go down next season

he just doesnt have that quick first step to be an elite offensive threat. Great worker, great character, but not a natural scorer

This gets said every year, though.

daslicer
05-12-2016, 08:57 PM
You can argue that it's something he could have learned from Tim, but that simply isn't possible IMO..

Tim Duncan and David Robinson are the ONLY superstars in NBA history that were "humble" and "reserved", yet were able to dominate the game at a historic level(no, Hakeem wasn't, he was known to have a bad temper, etc)..the superstar players in this league are assholes, they need to demand the ball and accept that sometimes you have to be selfish and take shit upon yourself..

Kawhi is still limited, offensively, from a superstar standpoint..I'm not saying he isn't, he still has a ton of work to do, but look how far he's already come..the work ethic is already there, but that isn't enough, he needs to accept the mentality of a superstar, too..

Good luck with that your basically asking Kawhi to change his personality. People's personalities rarely change once they reach adulthood. Kawhi is a highly introverted guy who is very reserved. I don't ever see him being the type of guy to demand the ball. It's just not who he is.

kobexxx
05-12-2016, 08:59 PM
game 7 hanging in the balance right now.. but the ball is round.. still can make a run in the 3rd and 4th :)

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2016, 08:59 PM
And ya, realistically, building a title team around a SF that isn't a point-forward is extremely difficult, tbh..you generally need a Lebron or a Bird to build around that position..even a generational talent like Durant will probably never win a title as a lead guy..

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Good luck with that your basically asking Kawhi to change his personality. People's personalities rarely change once they reach adulthood. Kawhi is a highly introverted guy who is very reserved. I don't ever see him being the type of guy to demand the ball. It's just not who he is.

Probably, but he's in a unique situation where the star player of the team is the coach and none of the players are permitted to step out of line..

daslicer
05-12-2016, 09:01 PM
What's even worse with Kawhi is he doesn't have a meanstreak like Duncan did. I remember when guys talked shit about Duncan dating backing to college and he took it personal and gave it to them. I remember Duncan even throwing elbows at guys. I even remember Duncan getting in heated confrontations with guys he couldn't stand. The Thunder laughed and talked shit about Kawhi through out this series and I saw zero fire coming out of him.

tholdren
05-12-2016, 09:02 PM
And ya, realistically, building a title team around a SF that isn't a point-forward is extremely difficult, tbh..you generally need a Lebron or a Bird to build around that position..even a generational talent like Durant will probably never win a title as a lead guy..
Which is why reading ST threads about KL mvp is pretty fucking stupid.

siraulo23
05-12-2016, 09:04 PM
your two best players are average passers at best

its gonna be tough contending in the future unless the spurs get durant

K...
05-12-2016, 09:05 PM

Tim is shy and he got it. Kobe is insecure as Hell.. It's not about personality, it's about style of play. Kobe can teach kawhi game. Free time for both this summer.

mexicanjunior
05-12-2016, 09:05 PM
game 7 hanging in the balance right now.. but the ball is round.. still can make a run in the 3rd and 4th :)

:lol

Clipper Nation
05-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Kawhi's already spent his entire career with Kobe as his point guard. He can't get one summer off?

05-12-2016, 09:09 PM
First Matt Barnes, now being outplayed by Andre Robertson :lmao

Arcadian
05-12-2016, 09:09 PM
I don't think passiveness is a problem. You're just seeing his personality and conflating that with his game. He played aggressively enough. He took plenty of shots. He just missed a lot of them.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2016, 09:11 PM
I don't think passiveness is a problem. You're just seeing his personality and conflating that with his game. He played aggressively enough. He took plenty of shots. He just missed a lot of them.

It's not just tonight..he didn't touch the ball, at all, when the game was on the line in game 5..

Arcadian
05-12-2016, 09:16 PM
It's not just tonight..he didn't touch the ball, at all, when the game was on the line in game 5..

That's just a playcalling issue. Kawhi doesn't call plays usually, does he? And that comes back to coaching, as Pop assigns the playcalling. Kawhi is still just a kid, he can't just boss around this ancient legendary coach. No one could.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2016, 09:19 PM
That's just a playcalling issue. Kawhi doesn't call plays usually, does he? And that comes back to coaching, as Pop assigns the playcalling. Kawhi is still just a kid, he can't just boss around this ancient legendary coach. No one could.

This entire post is essentially echoing my OP, tbh:lol

tholdren
05-12-2016, 09:22 PM
KL needs to see Kobe so he can continue to take turnaround jumpers and ill advised emotional threes? WTF is wrong with you? He needs to learn to get to get to the rack. Enough said.

midnightpulp
05-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Kawhi won't be first option material until he develops a top-tier off the dribble game, which all superstar 1st option wing and guard players have.

It has nothing to do with "personality" or Pop. Kawhi's game is 90% midpost/midrange. It's too easy to scheme for and also a style with a lot of variance. Think Kobe. One game, he scores 40 on 15-30 shooting. Next game, he goes 8-27. Rinse and repeat. Only reason the Lakers won titles with him as the first option was because the trio of Gasol, Bynum, and Odom were great offensive rebounders. Ariza and Artest were also strong rebounders from the SF position.

05-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Leonard could be the first option in a motion offense. But he definitely can't iso the Spurs to victory. There's no shame in that. There are probably only a handful of players in the league that can do so.

At least the early exit will force Pop to make some changes and eject some of the dead weight. Spurs have a good couple of years left as long as Aldridge doesn't decline too quickly. They'll have Boban and Simmons to strengthen the bench next year. The offense was going the wrong direction this year... hopefully Pop realizes that. Some 3 point shooters would be nice and a center that rebounds would be beneficial too.

Arcadian
05-12-2016, 09:28 PM

Not really. I disagreed with this:

he needs to find the voice in his head that forces him to become a killer, tbh..he's still way too passive and reluctant to dominate..

It's not a matter of "being a killer." You were correct with the earlier part of your post, when you said he needs to work on his skills. But then you went to the old "killer instinct" criticism, which is mostly bullshit.

K...
05-12-2016, 09:31 PM

It's not a matter of "being a killer." You were correct with the earlier part of your post, when you said he needs to work on his skills. But then you went to the old "killer instinct" criticism, which is mostly bullshit.

If it's not killers instinct, it's shooters lack of remorse. He could be physically drained. That's a condition game planning issue. Or he could be mentally shocked by being the man. We don't know.

But is is the latter, you can teach mindfulness.

Molotov
05-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Lenard is sensitive mental midget, IMO TBH.

tholdren
05-12-2016, 09:34 PM

He tries, he's just not a jump shooter, and pop made him a jump shooter. Improved his shooting for sure, but made him a worse overall player by not attacking the rim.

K...
05-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Lenard is sensitive mental midget, IMO TBH.

No, no need to tbh.....truth. But if he embraced that retard power, he'd be unstoppable. I think he's on the edge....not fully autistic, but full human. One he picks a side he'll reach his potential.