PDA

View Full Version : Pops teams have history of going soft

ViceCity86
05-12-2016, 09:35 PM
2001 Spurs-Great reg season.Dominant first 2 rounds then pistol whipped by Lakers.

2004 Spurs-Great reg season.Dominant 1st 6 games of playoffs,outclassed Lakers 1st 2 games then choked like dogs.

2006 Spurs-Best win total til date.Lost almost every pivotal close game in series,including game 7 on their home floor to a team who choked every close game in the finals.

2011 Spurs-Lost to 8th seed

2012 Spurs-Won 20 games in a row.20 Fucking games in a row!,then lose 4 straight to Thunder.

2016 Spurs-Set franchise for most wins to total collapse in the 2nd round.Lost one game all season at home,then lose 2 games in one series to Thunder.:lol

kobyz
05-12-2016, 10:07 PM
To make his teams a mental midget is Pop's biggest strange, most series loses with HCA in nba history!

dabom
05-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Especially when he tells his team to "Fear OKC" and gets in their heads and they start playing like dog shit. :lmao

afireinside20
05-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Tim Duncan has been simply the best, but it's time to hang it up. That block that Ibaka had on him, was even more of the tell tale sign. Manu needs to retire also and Spurs need a new starting point guard. They need to strip the bench and get rid of some of the old and shitty. Spurs just need fresh blood.

Capt Bringdown
05-12-2016, 10:13 PM
The softest meltdown was '13. Biggest NBA choke of all time.

ViceCity86
05-12-2016, 10:23 PM
The softest meltdown was '13. Biggest NBA choke of all time.

That was a gag job,but that series was consistent tug of war.It's baffling like this years team look good,except vs Warriors and then totally collapsed.The 2012 team is the best example.20 Wins in a row!then the floor caves in,just like Lakers series in 2004.

Ibleedslvrnblk
05-12-2016, 10:23 PM
2001 Spurs-Great reg season.Dominant first 2 rounds then pistol whipped by Lakers.

2004 Spurs-Great reg season.Dominant 1st 6 games of playoffs,outclassed Lakers 1st 2 games then choked like dogs.

2006 Spurs-Best win total til date.Lost almost every pivotal close game in series,including game 7 on their home floor to a team who choked every close game in the finals.

2012 Spurs-Won 20 games in a row.20 Fucking games in a row!,then lose 4 straight to Thunder.

2016 Spurs-Set franchise for most wins to total collapse in the 2nd round.Lost one game all season at home,then lose 2 games in one series to Thunder.:lol

Want to know the crazy thing. Except one series they lost to the eventual NBA champ or Finalist...And in two of the years when the team that beat them lost in the finals the Spurs won the next season..

therealtruth
05-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Want to know the crazy thing. Except one series they lost to the eventual NBA champ or Finalist...And in two of the years when the team that beat them lost in the finals the Spurs won the next season..

I don't think OKC is going to the Finals. But should be a good matchup in the next round with Kerr vs Donovan. I think the game has kind of passed Pop by a little.

tholdren
05-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Yep - its just basketball is a good ego manager, but bad for developing killers

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2016, 10:33 PM
2016 was the only egregious exit on that list IMO..they were heavy favorites and lost to a terribly flawed team, despite having HCA..

2006 was very disappointing and certainly a choke job, but those teams had a similar talent level..

Borosai
05-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Don't forget 2010 (swept by the Suns). :lmao

Ibleedslvrnblk
05-12-2016, 10:34 PM
I don't think OKC is going to the Finals. But should be a good matchup in the next round with Kerr vs Donovan. I think the game has kind of passed Pop by a little.

The expression of him sitting with this hands in his face after 2014 was the moment in my eyes to step away...

UZER
05-12-2016, 10:35 PM
That's what happens when the other team has you all figured out and your coach keeps saying system system system because he doesn't know what else to do. :lol

therealtruth
05-12-2016, 10:41 PM
2016 was the only egregious exit on that list IMO..they were heavy favorites and lost to a terribly flawed team, despite having HCA..

2006 was very disappointing and certainly a choke job, but those teams had a similar talent level..

They had HCA in all the other exits and had been dominant during the season. PJ was 47-0 when winning game 1 of the series. Pop's teams have routinely blown series leads.

da_suns_fan
05-12-2016, 10:46 PM

I feel like a fraud creating a poll pointing out these exact same losses downstairs in a poll.

dafonearth
05-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Yep! I never understood how Phil's teams always had a mental edge and always seemed to play better in the big moments and Pop's have, so many times, faded in similar moments. What does he do wrong? Is it just that the other teams have amazing scorers in Kobe, Durant, Shaq, Dirk, or is there some flaw in Pop's coaching? Just curious.

UZER
05-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Yep! I never understood how Phil's teams always had a mental edge and always seemed to play better in the big moments and Pop's have, so many times, faded in similar moments. What does he do wrong? Is it just that the other teams have amazing scorers in Kobe, Durant, Shaq, Dirk, or is there some flaw in Pop's coaching? Just curious.

Phil teaches his guys to live in the moment. Pop teaches his guys it's just basketball.

therealtruth
05-12-2016, 10:58 PM

I totally agree. Phil's teams always played with that mental edge. You saw some of it from the Thunder this series. Part of it is having confidence in your coaching adjustments. I would imagine it would be tough to when your coach is trotting out lineups that really don't give you the best chance of winning or resting players more than necessary in a must win game.

Keepin' it real
05-12-2016, 11:04 PM

Very easy answer, and it goes back to something Kobe said about teams "resting" players during the season. He said it takes away from the culture of the game. Him, MJ and others historically played every game they could (as opposed to Spurs always resting, and also quick to quit during the season).

Doing those two things robs the Spurs of their physical AND mental toughness, as evidenced by several disappointing showings in the playoffs.

ViceCity86
05-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Phil Jackson's teams always had mental toughness and beat teams when they shouldn't have.

Mugen
05-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Phil Jackson's teams always had mental toughness and beat teams when they shouldn't have.

:lmao mental toughness, Phil went out in a sweep like a faggot tbh...

therealtruth
05-12-2016, 11:10 PM

You could tell Phil really wasn't into it that last year.

Mugen
05-12-2016, 11:12 PM
You could tell Phil really wasn't into it that last year.

Wow, how mentally tough of him. How about when he begged Jimbo for his job back and they chose Mike D'Antoni? How about how he had to settle for the Knicks bullshit and is about to hire Kurt Rambis as coach? :lmao

ViceCity86
05-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Any series that was up for grabs,Phil's teams found a way.Did Phil ever lose a 7th game,besides his rookie year?(superior Pistons team)

Mikeanaro
05-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Soft as velvet.

HI-FI
05-12-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm not that biggest Phil fan, but those Lakers had been through three finals, I think they were done. Plus MVPau had his drama affecting him. You're right that Phil tried to get back into it, and I'd trust Pop to build a culture or system any day over Phil, I just don't remember Phil shitting the bed as epically as Pop.

gameFACE
05-12-2016, 11:40 PM
I can't complain about five championships. But I've also always thought the Spurs were maybe too humble. It's partly the culture that's been set up. Pop's "it's just basketball" approach as someone said and Tim's laid back style. Nothing wrong with a little attitude. The Spurs are a machine system. When it breaks down it really breaks down like tonight.

kobyz
05-12-2016, 11:43 PM
He know how to coach a regular season but not to prepped to be the best at playoff...

kobyz
05-12-2016, 11:47 PM
He's too much into his own image to the media...

Harry Callahan
05-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Many of the Cogs in the Spurs machine are now broken.

OKC had a younger fresher team playing in what, their 91st or 92nd game this year. This was not about being soft. This was about too many players being too old for the Spurs.

EIC
05-12-2016, 11:49 PM

Man, that 2006 series with the Mavs was a super-hard fought series. That was one of the most intense I can remember. Moreso than last year's Clipper series.

kobyz
05-12-2016, 11:58 PM
No reason for playing much worse after game 1, it's all about pop not knowing how to coach mentally and to bring the dog out of his team...

therealtruth
05-13-2016, 06:50 AM
Many of the Cogs in the Spurs machine are now broken.

OKC had a younger fresher team playing in what, their 91st or 92nd game this year. This was not about being soft. This was about too many players being too old for the Spurs.

That's on Pop. They've got to acquire younger players and he has to actually play them.

Gervin44Silas13
05-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Don't forget 2010 (swept by the Suns). :lmao

I remember that series We looked so fucken OLd THEN

UZER
05-13-2016, 07:52 AM
That's on Pop. They've got to acquire younger players and he has to actually play them.

Yup. The way he berates them all season for every little damn mistake is stupid too. It's his only way of acting like he's coaching, since he doesn't know the Xs and Os.

:lol he was yelling at Anderson late late in the game at a timeout when it was already out of hand. What an ass.

jack sommerset
05-13-2016, 07:59 AM
It's always been Duncan. Prepare yourselves for mediocrity since he is dunno. God Bless

DocDoc
05-13-2016, 08:03 AM
This Spur's team needed to go big to win, but OKC is bigger. In a long series, once Westbrook decided to play under control, Spur's were underdogs.

Green and Mills inability to score anymore didn't help and TD and Manu are just too old.

poop
05-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Pop is a decent coach but is overrated as fuck. He is nowhere near phil jackson, who never choked epically when he had superior teams like pop routinely does. Getting 'character guys' is good, but it also doesnt get you killers. In the spurs epic meltdowns like this, the character thing leaves you with only guys who will end up softing up and letting it end...this is where guys with chips on their shoulders and killer instincts pull you through.

Like the poster above said, it was always duncan. Take away Duncan, and pop is literally no better than a rick adleman or rick carlisle.

therealtruth
05-13-2016, 06:46 PM
This Spur's team needed to go big to win, but OKC is bigger. In a long series, once Westbrook decided to play under control, Spur's were underdogs.

Green and Mills inability to score anymore didn't help and TD and Manu are just too old.

The Spurs were hoping for Westbrook not knowing how to play under control. That characterizes Pop's teams. They take advantage of the other team making mistakes. That's why they feast on the bad teams in the regular season. But if the other team is not making mistakes they have to hit first. They need players who can get after it. Force the other team to adjust. TD/Manu and TP to some extent were basically those guys. The new guys really need to embrace that role. Kawhi should be handling the ball in crunch time. Not waiting for TP to hit him with a pass that never comes.

Crazymaddopeyo
05-13-2016, 07:05 PM

What a weird argument. As opposed to an OKC team that's tough but how many championships have they won? Don't know about you but I like the championships we have.

tholdren
05-13-2016, 07:08 PM
I can't complain about five championships. But I've also always thought the Spurs were maybe too humble. It's partly the culture that's been set up. Pop's "it's just basketball" approach as someone said and Tim's laid back style. Nothing wrong with a little attitude. The Spurs are a machine system. When it breaks down it really breaks down like tonight.Good post. I don't like the type of attitude I see from KL. The bitching to the refs rather than getting physical with the other teams players. I wish he had more bowen in him on the defensive end. It's frustrating because you get those highlight dunks in traffic, but it's one play like that every 5 games and in between are a steady diet of LMA fadeaways.

RC got exec of the year because of the aldridge and west signings, which were big. But the REALITY of the situation is that this is a POORLY BUILT TEAM.

Spurs have no - perimeter players who can dribble or pass.
Spurs have no - Post player that is a rebounder
Spurs have no - Elite Scorer

Spurs have: character guys
Spurs have : knowledge of how each other play
Spurs have: Great perimeter defenders

Spurs were built for a regular season and not for a playoff. OR they were built for a playoff run with a lot of Flex Offense.