PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Salaries and Contracts: Who stays, who goes...

TDomination
05-13-2016, 09:12 AM
So in a year where we saw a lot of new faces, I expect us to see even more next year.

This was probably the last year the Big 3 played together.

LOCKED IN FOR 2016/2017:
-Lamarcus
-Kawhi
-Parker
-Green
-Diaw
-Patty
-Anderson

RETIREMENT
-Miller will likely retire
-Manu will likely retire
-Bonner will likely retire
-DWest has talked about retirement after this year.
-Duncans decision to play is still up in the air but he can do whatever he wants.

FREE AGENTS
-Martin: doubt he comes back. After a full training camp, would he be any better?
-Boban: I hope he stays just to deal with big teams (as long as Pop plays him. If he doesn't play him then please get someone over 7ft that will actually see the floor)

PLAYER OPTION
-Simmons: Has potential. Definitely want him back.

From basketballreference.com

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj511/sambaez513/Salaries.png (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/sambaez513/media/Salaries.png.html)

VBM
05-13-2016, 10:43 AM
That Parker contract http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/scust.png

Brian Windhorst
05-13-2016, 10:48 AM
That Parker contract http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/scust.png

Legacy contract tbh. But he can play for legacy somewhere else.

MVPCues
05-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Aren't there a few team options in there? Bobo.

Kikoluna
05-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Anderson is locked in? Shiiiit

Chinook
05-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Aren't there a few team options in there? Bobo.

It's not a team option. It's just partially guaranteed. Team options are uber-rare outside draft picks. Lance like the only notable one coming up this summer.

Russo21
05-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Get rid of Parker, Bobo and Mills also. Should get a couple of good players out of them.

sasaint
05-13-2016, 11:23 AM
So in a year where we saw a lot of new faces, I expect us to see even more next year.

This was probably the last year the Big 3 played together.

LOCKED IN FOR 2016/2017:
-Lamarcus
-Kawhi
-Parker
-Green
-Diaw
-Patty
-Anderson

RETIREMENT
-Miller will likely retire
-Manu will likely retire
-DWest has talked about retirement after this year.
-Duncans decision to play is still up in the air but he can do whatever he wants.

FREE AGENTS
-Martin: doubt he comes back. After a full training camp, would he be any better?
-Boban: I hope he stays just to deal with big teams (as long as Pop plays him. If he doesn't play him then please get someone over 7ft that will actually see the floor)

PLAYER OPTION
-Simmons: Has potential. Definitely want him back.

Can't believe you didn't list Bonner.

sasaint
05-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Get rid of Parker, Bobo and Mills also. Should get a couple of good players out of them.

Nobody else in the league would take Boris unless we bribed them with a draft pick. Just gotta cut him. Hard to tell about Patty. PATFO might bring him back, keeping their fingers crossed that he will regain a reliable three-ball, which we desperately need. Tony's trade-immunity is also a little harder to gauge than previous years, too, given the team's desperate need for a bigger, better defender at PG. This season he has generated more of Pop's ire than he has since his first couple of years in the league. If Bobo's not playing at all last night is an indication that he is gone, what does Tony's playing 23 minutes indicate?

Russo21
05-13-2016, 11:44 AM
what does Tony's playing 23 minutes indicate?

I dunno what did it mean to you? To me maybe it means that Pop thinks he's not good enough to be a starter or finisher anymore especially in playoff basketball. 23 minutes in an elimination game from your expensive starting point guard is rather odd. Which means he should be gone next year or played strictly as a bench point guard.

DarrinS
05-13-2016, 11:47 AM

:lol

Russo21
05-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Hopefully Mills and Bobo can be moved due to their names. And hope that other teams didn't realize they totally sucked this year. Hopefully they remember the championship year instead lol.

spurs1990
05-13-2016, 11:56 AM
How about Pop's stubborn playoff coaching.

Any chance that gets altered in 2017?

sasaint
05-13-2016, 11:58 AM
I dunno what did it mean to you? To me maybe it means that Pop thinks he's not good enough to be a starter or finisher anymore especially in playoff basketball. 23 minutes in an elimination game from your expensive starting point guard is rather odd. Which means he should be gone next year or played strictly as a bench point guard.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that MVParker was on the bench at crunch time in favor of Miller when we made our one run. :wow Maybe PATFO believes he can become the leader of the 2nd unit when Manu is gone. But maybe it means that he is now tradeable - at least on our end. :lol

spurs10
05-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Nobody else in the league would take Boris unless we bribed them with a draft pick. Just gotta cut him. Hard to tell about Patty. PATFO might bring him back, keeping their fingers crossed that he will regain a reliable three-ball, which we desperately need. Tony's trade-immunity is also a little harder to gauge than previous years, too, given the team's desperate need for a bigger, better defender at PG. This season he has generated more of Pop's ire than he has since his first couple of years in the league. If Bobo's not playing at all last night is an indication that he is gone, what does Tony's playing 23 minutes indicate? Yes I think Bobo is only partially guaranteed so him returning is not certain. Have no idea why he was benched. It had a lot to do with our bench giving them the game.

AFMadison
05-13-2016, 12:01 PM
FFS keep Boban

sasaint
05-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Hopefully Mills and Bobo can be moved due to their names. And hope that other teams didn't realize they totally sucked this year. Hopefully they remember the championship year instead lol.

Bobo's non-performance this season and post-season will bring memories of his time in Charlotte front and center. No way he is a tradeable asset.

TDomination
05-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Can't believe you didn't list Bonner.

Lol I guess I just really want him gone

MVPCues
05-13-2016, 01:03 PM
It's not a team option. It's just partially guaranteed. Team options are uber-rare outside draft picks. Lance like the only notable one coming up this summer.

Thanks. I must have mis read what the colors meant in the numbers thread a few weeks ago. Maybe someone was speculating and I read it as fact.

Chinook
05-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks. I must have mis read what the colors meant in the numbers thread a few weeks ago. Maybe someone was speculating and I read it as fact.

I'm pretty sure that Simmons doesn't even have team option. It would be shocking if it's not just non-guaranteed.

gambit1990
05-13-2016, 02:04 PM
who i want: kawhi, la, td, manu (but i don't want him signing and/or playing until the all star break)

who i want but would be willing to give up: simmons (i want him but wouldn't say he's untouchable if the price was right), green, patty. would take west back for the right price but i do not want him playing center

indifferent about: miller (big fan but he's not getting younger), boban (his size is blessing and a curse... he gets blown by easily... not convinced he can contribute against elite teams), anderson

who i don't want back: "mvparker" according to some you :lol, diaw (done with his ebbs and flows tbh), k mart, bonner

Big Empty
05-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Need a West/Boban replacement that can be effective against an OKC. Diaw is still very usefull in a Warrior Cav matchup.

TDomination
05-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Need a West/Boban replacement that can be effective against an OKC. Diaw is still very usefull in a Warrior Cav matchup.

He just needs to lose some weight. How committed will he be? I felt like he was just flat out lazy this year. I love Diaw, I feel he brings a lot to the Spurs (besides food) but he needs to lose weight. I watch some videos of 2014 finals and you can completely tell the difference. Lose weight, come back and be better.

sasaint
05-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Lol I guess I just really want him gone

Tbh, I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him return. Not rooting for it, just saying'... the end of the big 3 era - Duncan, Ginobili, Bonner.

SAGirl
05-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Tbh, I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him return. Not rooting for it, just saying'... the end of the big 3 era - Duncan, Ginobili, Bonner.
I think the same of him. He was the 15 th man so to me he was fine for what it was but I do feel he was there fir TD Manu and the old gang. With them retiring that spot is better used for a development project, whoever it may be.

sasaint
05-13-2016, 06:02 PM
I think the same of him. He was the 15 th man so to me he was fine for what it was but I do feel he was there fir TD Manu and the old gang. With them retiring that spot is better used for a development project, whoever it may be.

If he hadn't suffered that weird injury this year, I would EXPECT him back, tbh. Of the older guys Bonner has WAAAAY fewer miles than the others. I am frankly surprised that we didn't see him against OKC to try to stretch the floor. We were THAT desperate. I don't know what our final 3-pt percentage was as a team, but to my eyes it seemed TURRIBLE. Over the last few seasons, he has become reasonably adept at dribbling into the paint for that little jump hook shot - just in time for his utility/minutes to drop drastically :lol. HEB never capitalized on Bonner as much as it should have!

SAGirl
05-13-2016, 06:31 PM
If he hadn't suffered that weird injury this year, I would EXPECT him back, tbh. Of the older guys Bonner has WAAAAY fewer miles than the others. I am frankly surprised that we didn't see him against OKC to try to stretch the floor. We were THAT desperate. I don't know what our final 3-pt percentage was as a team, but to my eyes it seemed TURRIBLE. Over the last few seasons, he has become reasonably adept at dribbling into the paint for that little jump hook shot - just in time for his utility/minutes to drop drastically :lol. HEB never capitalized on Bonner as much as it should have!
He's done. The season we had injuries and he started games as well as played something like 900 minutes (too lazy too look it up right now) he shot poorly. At the end of the season it ended up being 36% but that was padded in garbage time. When we needed him due to Tiago's injuries he was hovering around 30-32% terrible, for a guy who unlike Danny doesn't give you anything else, neither rebounding, hustle, defense, etc. Be was fine this season when rarely played. In that rile he's fine. But I think we need to get younger and its time for Pop to bring draft prospects over and start coaching young fellas who will drive him mad or let Becky or Udoka do it (I am a bit trolling on this one, but the Frank aspect of the post is Pop need a to coach younger guys to rebuild our depth. I am with Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) on this one.

05-13-2016, 06:38 PM
How much cap space can the Spurs realistically clear? It's funny, the Spurs don't have any bad contracts EXCEPT for Parker. Diaw and Mills may have disappointed but combined they're only earning 1/9 of the projected $92 million cap. Is it even worth it to salary dump them? I think Diaw can have a bounce back year and the Spurs will need his passing more than ever on the bench.

Duncan should come back at $5.5 million to play a Garnett type of role. Simmons is dirt cheap and has good potential to take over the 6th man role. Pop will inexplicably keep Anderson but at least he's dirt cheap too. Boban might be re-signed if no one throws big money at him.

I expect Manu to retire. West will probably head to the Warriors, Thunder, or Cavs for a bigger pay day and ring chase. That only clears up an extra $4.5 million :lol So the Spurs will only have $12 million to work with and that's assuming the Spurs don't re-sign Boban.

And with that $12 million, they need to:

- Fill a hole at the "starting" center spot (Tim will start but the Spurs need a more mobile center to play the majority of the minutes)
- Get a classic 3 and D type wing that will stop Anderson from getting minutes
- Find another back up point guard with McCallum being a failure and Andre Miller retiring. Simmons may be able to take over the back up PG spot though... along with Mills at the SG spot.
- Find another back up big if Boban isn't re-signed

That's a lot to do for $12 million + exceptions.

Beaverfuzz
05-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Bonner gone
Manu gone
KMart gone
Miller gone

I'd love to see Green or Parker moved (doesn't have to be both but would take that) for some younger talent. Maybe Fathead too although he can walk after next year.

TheGoldStandard
05-13-2016, 06:59 PM
How much cap space can the Spurs realistically clear? It's funny, the Spurs don't have any bad contracts EXCEPT for Parker. Diaw and Mills may have disappointed but combined they're only earning 1/9 of the projected $92 million cap. Is it even worth it to salary dump them? I think Diaw can have a bounce back year and the Spurs will need his passing more than ever on the bench.

Duncan should come back at $5.5 million to play a Garnett type of role. Simmons is dirt cheap and has good potential to take over the 6th man role. Pop will inexplicably keep Anderson but at least he's dirt cheap too. Boban might be re-signed if no one throws big money at him.

I expect Manu to retire. West will probably head to the Warriors, Thunder, or Cavs for a bigger pay day and ring chase. That only clears up an extra $4.5 million :lol So the Spurs will only have $12 million to work with and that's assuming the Spurs don't re-sign Boban.

And with that $12 million, they need to:

- Fill a hole at the "starting" center spot (Tim will start but the Spurs need a more mobile center to play the majority of the minutes)
- Get a classic 3 and D type wing that will stop Anderson from getting minutes
- Find another back up point guard with McCallum being a failure and Andre Miller retiring. Simmons may be able to take over the back up PG spot though... along with Mills at the SG spot.
- Find another back up big if Boban isn't re-signed

That's a lot to do for $12 million + exceptions.

The Parker deal is bad because he's done and if this ISO style of offense is what Pop decides to go with then Parker is pretty much useless but I doubt anyone will want to take that deal on without some compensation for it and frankly we need all the draft picks we can get.

That being said Mills and Diaw are wasted space.. Mills is only useful when you have a true PG or someone with handles bringing up the ball and he can come off screens etc to be effective and with Manu almost certainly retiring Mills becomes pretty useless especially on the defensive end. Diaw is old, out of shape and not motivated, even if he manages to get his fat ass in the gym and lose weight he's old and busted so that does not lend itself to what the Spurs should be doing and that's rebuilding/retooling with youth. Athleticism is the way to go from now on so any money you can save or anyway you can package players for possible draft picks or a bench guy who has an upside is worth it.

Duncan should not come back at all.. I know we are all sentimental because he's Legend but guys knees are jello and he needs to hang them up. This is the only way the Spurs will seriously pursue a big that can be useful is if they are forced to deal with it. Sure Duncan will probably rehab and come back 40% of himself and still be good on some nights for 40 but we need to think long term future and that means having a roster spot for someone who can learn as they go and be productive, gain confidence in the rotations and be ready come playoff time.

Simmons is the only guy with upside but at 26 he needs to get some burn or else what's the point. The guy is explosive and doesn't have many miles on his legs, he needs to be able to fly.

Spurs really need to evaluate there overseas talent and pull the trigger now on anyone that could be a potential asset. That means LJC needs to get over here because he could potentially play the 3 and the 4. Mulitinov perhaps as a center coming off the bench. If at all possible Jettison parker to a team that can give you a legit asset back.. Ship him off to milwaukee for MCW and some draft picks

sasaint
05-13-2016, 07:05 PM
He's done. The season we had injuries and he started games as well as played something like 900 minutes (too lazy too look it up right now) he shot poorly. At the end of the season it ended up being 36% but that was padded in garbage time. When we needed him due to Tiago's injuries he was hovering around 30-32% terrible, for a guy who unlike Danny doesn't give you anything else, neither rebounding, hustle, defense, etc. Be was fine this season when rarely played. In that rile he's fine. But I think we need to get younger and its time for Pop to bring draft prospects over and start coaching young fellas who will drive him mad or let Becky or Udoka do it (I am a bit trolling on this one, but the Frank aspect of the post is Pop need a to coach younger guys to rebuild our depth. I am with Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) on this one.

Preaching to the choir. Since mid-season I have advocated dumping most of the roster before next season. You know that I have said for months that we cannot afford to give any roster spots to coasters like Boris. That goes for "legacies" like Bonner, and I would argue for "loyalty/sentimental" guys like Parker. I hope we can find some way to move Tony along with a draft pick to get something useful in return. After Pop dumped on Tony in crunch time last night, that seems slightly more feasible. I suppose you and I disagree mostly on the potential of our European prospects - although I admit that my knowledge is limited and anecdotal. Aside from Bertans, I doubt any of those guys makes it to the NBA. And whether Bertans can begin to contribute any time soon is a big question in my mind. Regardless, it is time to pay the piper. We have to get younger with decent prospects in a hurry to take full advantage of our new Big 2. I wouldn't mind replacing Bonner with Tim, to retain his leadership/cultural mentorship in hopes that a successor can be found next season. I don't think that successor is on the current roster.

SAGirl
05-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Preaching to the choir. Since mid-season I have advocated dumping most of the roster before next season. You know that I have said for months that we cannot afford to give any roster spots to coasters like Boris. That goes for "legacies" like Bonner, and I would argue for "loyalty/sentimental" guys like Parker. I hope we can find some way to move Tony along with a draft pick to get something useful in return. After Pop dumped on Tony in crunch time last night, that seems slightly more feasible. I suppose you and I disagree mostly on the potential of our European prospects - although I admit that my knowledge is limited and anecdotal. Aside from Bertans, I doubt any of those guys makes it to the NBA. And whether Bertans can begin to contribute any time soon is a big question in my mind. Regardless, it is time to pay the piper. We have to get younger with decent prospects in a hurry to take full advantage of our new Big 2. I wouldn't mind replacing Bonner with Tim, to retain his leadership/cultural mentorship in hopes that a successor can be found next season. I don't think that successor is on the current roster.
We agree on the need to dump the geriatrics. (Tim and Manu are unique and I think it's time for them too. They have declined too much and its only downhill from here. We can disagree on that but I think you stated even b4 this bitter ending this was the retirement tour. Regardless if they return they should not be relied to to the extent that they were, but I digress) I think Bertans is a specialist. We need shooting so we need his skill set. He might be more athletic than Anderson but that is hard to gauge in the Euroleague and he wasn't a good defender or rebounder there, so I see him as an offensive player who if he stays healthy could spell Bonner. He has a quicker release so I think he could be a better shooter. I am not high on anyone else, but it could be said that guys developed in house have a better outlook than guys left to play about 30 games in a season in Europe and who knows the roles or path they get there. LJC has NBA size and athleticism but he's very raw, he might have been an Aminu like player but we don't know. Milutinov has size, which we need. He's very young and big men take time bc developing that body strength takes time so it's fine if they leave him there but why not bring him over?

We'll need to look at all avenues, FA, draft, trades and a few projects.

dbestpro
05-13-2016, 08:14 PM
With the pay scale increasing next year, many teams might consider Parker in the right deal. Could see him with the Knicks. He likes the lights so he'd probably be happy.

sasaint
05-13-2016, 08:32 PM
We agree on the need to dump the geriatrics. (Tim and Manu are unique and I think it's time for them too. They have declined too much and its only downhill from here. We can disagree on that but I think you stated even b4 this bitter ending this was the retirement tour. Regardless if they return they should not be relied to to the extent that they were, but I digress) I think Bertans is a specialist. We need shooting so we need his skill set. He might be more athletic than Anderson but that is hard to gauge in the Euroleague and he wasn't a good defender or rebounder there, so I see him as an offensive player who if he stays healthy could spell Bonner. He has a quicker release so I think he could be a better shooter. I am not high on anyone else, but it could be said that guys developed in house have a better outlook than guys left to play about 30 games in a season in Europe and who knows the roles or path they get there. LJC has NBA size and athleticism but he's very raw, he might have been an Aminu like player but we don't know. Milutinov has size, which we need. He's very young and big men take time bc developing that body strength takes time so it's fine if they leave him there but why not bring him over?

We'll need to look at all avenues, FA, draft, trades and a few projects.

The problem for the Spurs (and us fans) is our historical aversion to trades. Plus, with a team that seems to be clearly in decline, how attractive a destination are we now for FAs - especially since we will no longer be able to entice them with the prospect of playing with Tim and Manu (I assume)? This off-season will be a much bigger test for PATFO than last off-season. Frankly, I am not optimistic.

SAGirl
05-13-2016, 11:23 PM
The problem for the Spurs (and us fans) is our historical aversion to trades. Plus, with a team that seems to be clearly in decline, how attractive a destination are we now for FAs - especially since we will no longer be able to entice them with the prospect of playing with Tim and Manu (I assume)? This off-season will be a much bigger test for PATFO than last off-season. Frankly, I am not optimistic.
We certainly won't get anyone on the cheap that is not washed up and we should steer away from that. Tony is really overpaid that is no secret, but I doubt he's moved bc we won't get replacement value and will likely have to sweeten the deal. I don't think we should give away a pick. We are one Kawhi injury of moderate length away from an unwilling tank job falling in the lottery next season and Pop likes to have his vets to train younger guys, but I won't guess on the FO plans.

sasaint
05-13-2016, 11:48 PM
We certainly won't get anyone on the cheap that is not washed up and we should steer away from that. Tony is really overpaid that is no secret, but I doubt he's moved bc we won't get replacement value and will likely have to sweeten the deal. I don't think we should give away a pick. We are one Kawhi injury of moderate length away from an unwilling tank job falling in the lottery next season and Pop likes to have his vets to train younger guys, but I won't guess on the FO plans.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind including a pick (even though I covet Malcolm Brogdon) if we can get decent value and unload Tony's contract. For the life of me, I don't see how the Spurs ever benefit much from the draft. Of our post-TP, post-Manu picks only Tiago, briefly, and George Hill really panned out. And their greatest value was in turning into LMA and Kawhi, respectively. We have drafted mostly guys who never made it to the NBA or became journeymen, or a couple who eventually became serviceable for other teams. I think the ballyhooed Spurs player development pipeline is a big myth.

SAGirl
05-14-2016, 12:09 AM
Frankly, I wouldn't mind including a pick (even though I covet Malcolm Brogdon) if we can get decent value and unload Tony's contract. For the life of me, I don't see how the Spurs ever benefit much from the draft. Of our post-TP, post-Manu picks only Tiago, briefly, and George Hill really panned out. And their greatest value was in turning into LMA and Kawhi, respectively. We have drafted mostly guys who never made it to the NBA or became journeymen, or a couple who eventually became serviceable for other teams. I think the ballyhooed Spurs player development pipeline is a big myth.

I just think, personally that we are a top heavy team (thin depth with too many old players who won't be able to sustain even moderate success without the two studs and as we have seen even with the studs is not enough.) An injury to one of the two studs of moderate length will plunge us into the lottery.

I would want to keep a potential lottery pick in that scenario (not talking about a pick for this season, wouldn't mind trading that in a good scenario like you say, but rather future picks, although I guess they could always carry protections).

As for our pick this season, the Spurs have notoriously passed on guys recently to constantly stash. There were often other local (college) guys to be had but Pop didn't want to deal with rookies or the Spurs dIdn't want to spare their cap for a guy who was going to take time to develop so they stash. Festus Ezeli was the pick the Spurs dealt to dump the Jefferson contract. We could have used a Festus Ezeli this season. There are usually role players to be hand in the draft each season but it's a risk, some don't pan out and they require time to find that out, and development time and Pop is cranky with youngsters. Spurs have turned away from that but quite honestly they need to look at the draft again. Cojo turned out nice in the end and Jimmy Butler was taken just behind him. They are not the rule but there are always guys. Clarkson was a second rounder, Gobert a late pick too, Norman Powell with the Raptors doing well, etc. The situation we are at right now with an old team and no depth Pop is going to have to coach this time. I don't think he was wanting to go through this, thus him joking going out with Timmy, but if Kawhi and LMA are not enough and he's not up to coaching youngsters maybe it is time for him too... and I love Pop.

sasaint
05-14-2016, 12:38 AM
Before the LMA signing (possibly even after getting Kawhi) Pop always said he would call it quits when Tim did. I just wonder whether he promised LMA he would be around. If not, then I could see him hanging it up. I have thought for a long time that Tim and Manu are hanging 'em up. Posters who want them back for another year are just way too sentimentally attached to players and not thinking clearly about what is best for the team. If those two guys are gone, and Pop didn't make any promises to LMA, then I would not be surprised to see him retire, too. If that were to happen, there might be ramifications for Tony. Holt gone, Pop gone, Tim gone, Manu gone - does a new regime feel the same level of loyalty to Tony? Does Tony feel the same level of commitment to the Spurs?

spurs10
05-14-2016, 01:12 AM
Before the LMA signing (possibly even after getting Kawhi) Pop always said he would call it quits when Tim did. I just wonder whether he promised LMA he would be around. If not, then I could see him hanging it up. I have thought for a long time that Tim and Manu are hanging 'em up. Posters who want them back for another year are just way too sentimentally attached to players and not thinking clearly about what is best for the team. If those two guys are gone, and Pop didn't make any promises to LMA, then I would not be surprised to see him retire, too. If that were to happen, there might be ramifications for Tony. Holt gone, Pop gone, Tim gone, Manu gone - does a new regime feel the same level of loyalty to Tony? Does Tony feel the same level of commitment to the Spurs? If Tim and Manu return it will partially be a business decision- those guys sell a lot of tickets. Can you imagine what the storyline will be if they return? They might not promote it like Kobe, but the NBA won't shut up about it. If their roles were diminished and LMA had some help on the boards when Tim was out- I could see us racking up a lot of W's.

venitian navigator
05-14-2016, 01:50 AM
Guys, this team has won 67 regular season games...so I'm ok with a change, but let's not forget that a part of the play offs failure is because we completely changed our game style and a big part of the team was new (Alridge, West). So, imho, if Tim and Manu come back, there have to be changes but just on things we've seen as our gaps and, in any case, going on in this direction...

We need a new starting point guard, an athletic big (possibly a rebounder and shot blocker) and some wing defense/shooting.

For the point guard I would't mind to try to finally give KA a chance to play in his real role since college.

For the wings, Hanga and Bertans are decent for our needs.

The big problem is the athletic big...

I would'nt mind use Parker as a back up and give

venitian navigator
05-14-2016, 01:53 AM
a look at possible draft/free agency options....

SAGirl
05-14-2016, 01:57 AM
If Tim and Manu return it will partially be a business decision- those guys sell a lot of tickets. Can you imagine what the storyline will be if they return? They might not promote it like Kobe, but the NBA won't shut up about it. If their roles were diminished and LMA had some help on the boards when Tim was out- I could see us racking up a lot of W's.
I don't think they like that, specially Timmy. Manu might be indifferent, I am unsure as he's not as averse to attention as Timmy is. There are personal issues to consider for each too.

Ditty
05-14-2016, 02:16 AM
I'll say this. If Tim comes back, I don't think Parker gets traded. I bet that's probably even one of his requirements to come back one last season. Same with Mills, I think they have a great bond also.

If he doesn't, I doubt PATFO trade Parker to a bad situation :lol

Maybe Bud thinks he can revitalize Parker's career as his numbers have gone down since he left to the ATL, as maybe their sixth man behind Schroder.

Parker for Teague/Sefolosha would be nice. Mills/Diaw for Teague would be great also.

If Parker still wants the bright lights of the New York area :rolleyes.

Parker for Grant/Calderon, or to Brooklyn. Parker for Thaddeus Young.

Snaq O'Meal
05-14-2016, 02:27 AM
I'll say this. If Tim comes back, I don't think Parker gets traded. I bet that's probably even one of his requirements to come back one last season. Same with Mills, I think they have a great bond also.

If he doesn't, I doubt PATFO trade Parker to a bad situation :lol

Maybe Bud thinks he can revitalize Parker's career as his numbers have gone down since he left to the ATL, as maybe their sixth man behind Schroder.

Parker for Teague/Sefolosha would be nice. Mills/Diaw for Teague would be great also.

If Parker still wants the bright lights of the New York area :rolleyes.

Parker for Grant/Calderon, or to Brooklyn. Parker for Thaddeus Young.

I don't see how Parker will benefit Atlanta. After all, Boobie Gibson doesn't suit up for the Cavs anymore.

Keepin' it real
05-14-2016, 03:01 AM
If Tim and Manu return it will partially be a business decision- those guys sell a lot of tickets. Can you imagine what the storyline will be if they return? They might not promote it like Kobe, but the NBA won't shut up about it. If their roles were diminished and LMA had some help on the boards when Tim was out- I could see us racking up a lot of W's.

You mean like the 67 now meaningless W's from this past season? Nah, it's time to move on.

Just think about it, who will be in the Spurs way in the playoffs next season? Of course, OKC and GS. Tim was unplayable against them this season. Imagine Tim (and Manu) a year older against those teams??? No thank you.

Ice009
05-14-2016, 05:38 AM
He just needs to lose some weight. How committed will he be? I felt like he was just flat out lazy this year. I love Diaw, I feel he brings a lot to the Spurs (besides food) but he needs to lose weight. I watch some videos of 2014 finals and you can completely tell the difference. Lose weight, come back and be better.

The only way I would consider keeping Boris is if he gets back into shape and the weight range he was at during the 2014 OKC and Miami series.

It might be a lost cause with Boris though. I remember reading a story from back when he was in Phoenix where they sent one of their trainers to work with him during the off-season. The trainer left and came back and told the Suns that Boris was in great shape, but then two weeks later Boris shows up and when they saw Diaw, they were like, what the fuck happened. They left him alone for two weeks and he gained weight back again in those two weeks.

I'm not happy with him at all. I thought that he changed after the 2013 season and was committed from 2014 onwards. It looks like he was only committed for that one year.

tbdog
05-14-2016, 05:46 AM
The only way I would consider keeping Boris is if he gets back into shape and the weight range he was at during the 2014 OKC and Miami series.

It might be a lost cause with Boris though. I remember reading a story from back when he was in Phoenix where they sent one of their trainers to work with him during the off-season. The trainer left and came back and told the Suns that Boris was in great shape, but then two weeks later Boris shows up and when they saw Diaw, they were like, what the fuck happened. They left him alone for two weeks and he gained weight back again in those two weeks.

I'm not happy with him at all. I thought that he changed after the 2013 season and was committed from 2014 onwards. It looks like he was only committed for that one year.

And what a year.

Ice009
05-14-2016, 05:50 AM
And what a year.

Yeah, he was fantastic. I loved his game that year, but what about 2015 and 2016? He really could have helped a lot those two seasons if he was in better shape. As far as I'm concerned, he's had two chances. If he doesn't want to commit and come back in great shape next season, then the Spurs should just release him with their partial guarantee or whatever option they have.

tbdog
05-14-2016, 07:02 AM
Yeah, he was fantastic. I loved his game that year, but what about 2015 and 2016? He really could have helped a lot those two seasons if he was in better shape. As far as I'm concerned, he's had two chances. If he doesn't want to commit and come back in great shape next season, then the Spurs should just release him with their partial guarantee or whatever option they have.

Yeh, I agree because of his contract. But something happened hey. He was playing okay all year, and he is one of those Horry guys that just wants to play playoffs. But that stomach strain or something happened. But yeh, he was out of shape.

sasaint
05-14-2016, 09:40 AM

I cannot imagine either Tim or Manu returning next season. Manu was set to retire last season until they "guys" convinced him that they really wanted him back. As for Tim - as another poster said, Tim's knees are pudding. He is suitable for Bonner's minutes as far as court time is concerned. The only reason to bring him back is for his leadership/mentoring/locker room presence. I do not expect a "business decision" to have any relevance.

Spurs9
05-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Parker for some draft picks please or Oladipo.

K...
05-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Parker for some draft picks please or Oladipo.

denied

SD126
05-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Kawhi/Leonard/Green stays

Everyone else can go. Mainly Porker and the entire bench.

NEXT...

TXstbobcat
05-14-2016, 10:37 PM

NEXT...

spurs are stuck with Parker and the 30 million left on his contract.

K...
05-14-2016, 10:37 PM

NEXT...

denied

SD126
05-14-2016, 10:47 PM
spurs are stuck with Parker and the 30 million left on his contract.

Sadly. Very sadly.

And PATFO not willing to at least explore.

SD126
05-14-2016, 10:48 PM
denied

Another two season with a PG who can't play, and afraid to play defense at the NBA level...denied.

Enjoy your love for mediocrity

DeRozan m8
05-14-2016, 11:10 PM
Oh WTF I didn't think Anderson was locked in again :bang

Ah well, we can pay him to stay at home...best $1.2m the Spurs will spend next season

BackHome
05-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Bonners gone
Millers gone
Matins gone
Manus gone 😢

Sign: Gasol would be a good stop gate for a big. Also need to replace Manu need a guy who actually dribble the ball "everyone looks at Green". Bring and sign Bretans he has perfect NBA game

Trade or Let Go: Bobo so upset he showed up fat and with no desire - he went full French on us. SMH. Anderson I like and I don't like him. If Tim and Manu retire I actually think Parker is OK with being traded to a team like New York or the Raptors.

Keep. Boban for the right price
Mills he is cheap and still plays with a heart unlike other players. Simmons it's time to put up or shut up hope your all ready training

BackHome
05-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Bonners gone
Millers gone
Matins gone
Manus gone 😢

Sign: Gasol would be a good stop gate for a big. Also need to replace Manu need a guy who actually dribble the ball "everyone looks at Green". Bring and sign Bertans he has perfect NBA game

Trade or Let Go: Bobo so upset he showed up fat and with no desire - he went full French on us. SMH. Anderson I like and I don't like him. If Tim and Manu retire I actually think Parker is OK with being traded to a team like New York or the Raptors.

Keep. Boban for the right price
Mills he is cheap and still plays with a heart unlike other players. Simmons it's time to put up or shut up hope your all ready training

Timmy he can do what ever he wants to do!!!

Snaq O'Meal
05-15-2016, 12:07 AM
There will be changes, but not wholesale ones. Tweaks may be enough to plug up the weaknesses in a 67-win team.

The Spurs-Thunder series really exposed the Spurs' weaknesses in the following areas: point guard play, interior presence, athleticism, and coaching adjustments.

Pop wasn't too pleased with Parker's play, but that contract makes Tony virtually untradeable. As elite point guards will command a premium and are largely unavailable, the Spurs may be best served with a playmaking backup like Lin who has shown flashes of being an NBA starter.

Basketball is still a big man's game, hence interior presence is crucial. OKC have that in abundance. Even a vaunted small ball team like the Warriors have stockpiled on big men with legit size to play center like Bogut, Ezeli, Varejao and Speights. For the Spurs to play an undersized 6'8" tandem big minutes is just suicidal. If Gasol is keen, they shouldn't turn him down. Another viable option is Gustavo Ayon, an ugly motherfucking bruiser who took Unibrow to school in the paint. He was originally unavailable because of a 2-year contract signed with Real Madrid in 2014.

The Spurs' lack of athleticism from the bench can be addressed by going younger and sacrificing a bit of IQ for tenacity and aggression. What's the point of trying to make smart plays while being shellshocked and physically overwhelmed by quicker and stronger foes? Simmons must continue to develop. Bring LJC over and see what he's got. Even if he's nothing more than a poor man's rookie Kawhi, he'll be a contributor. Try to lure Matt Barnes over. See if Fat Head will grow a pair before trading him. And give Fat Ass a one-way ticket to a safari.

And finally, bring back Manu and Timmy, as coaching staff if their playing days are truly over. Both are ferocious competitors with great knowledge of the game. And most importantly, they don't seem to have irrational fear of Pop, hence their clout will assist in getting new ideas through the old man's thick skull.

And for fuck's sake, draft a nigga, not a soft Euro.

LakerHater
05-15-2016, 01:34 AM
What is the salary cap for next season?

Does it go up?

Spurs9
05-15-2016, 06:07 PM
What is the salary cap for next season?

Does it go up?
Gonna go up around 22million.

tbdog
05-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Gonna go up around 22million.

Yeh but we got like no space unless we drop Diaw to create 7 mil, and TD and Manu retire to op out resign for a min to create a further 8 or so million.

DMC
05-15-2016, 07:07 PM
After Tim retires, ring pressure will diminish greatly. There will be leeway and excuse to say we have a young team, we're rebuilding, etc... I expect the Spurs to try to save money. I could be wrong. If KD comes around. things get interesting. Either way, this won't be the team you're accustomed to, you'll hardly recognize them.