PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker 6th man..

coachmac87
05-13-2016, 01:04 PM
This needs to be the first offseason move IMO. With Manu possibly retiring and unable to be a legit 6th man I think it's best for Tony career and the Spurs if he becomes the scoring punch off the bench.

Trading him isn't a realistic or even the best option for the team. He's still useful and I think with his score first mentality he'd be great off the bench and could be front runner for 6th man..which could be a selling point to him.

This also allows Patty to go back to his original role of being the change of pace guard like he was in 14' or you can trade him.

I'm seeing a lot of Conley talk but to me the perfect fit would be Clarkson. With his size and athleticism I'd feel it compliment Parker/Mills if the FO decided to keep them.

EVAY
05-13-2016, 01:17 PM
If Manu and Duncan retire, I think Pop would be happy to move TP to the second team (maybe leave him in the first team for a few months to train the new starting pg, but definitely diminish his role). We can only hope that Pop learned from this season that we need stronger and bigger guards than he has been able to get away with in the past.

Pop threw TP into the starting pg role immediately, at the age of 19, but beat him and molded him into what he wanted over the next few years. I don't know if he would do that again, but it would be nice to see someone new in the pg role.

I think Mills is gone. I think Bobo is gone. And West, and Martin and Miller.

Mostly, Pop has to figure out whether he wants to continue with this one-on-one post up and iso offense. I don't like it, but I'm sure it fits what he perceives to be his talent pool. Then he has to figure out what kind of pg fits that model best...a pass first or a scorer. Tony started his career as the first (geev thee boll to Teemy), switched to the latter (2012-2015), and this year increasingly back to the former. Problem is, as we saw in the playoffs we just finished, there needs to be a third scorer on the starting unit to take some defensive attention off of KL and LMA. Who is that going to be? Cuz it sure ain't gonna be Mike Conley.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-13-2016, 01:22 PM
It would be foolish to throw all available cap space at a PG when you have only 1 big returning.

DAF86
05-13-2016, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but the most logical move would be to salary dump him. He's paid like an all-star to give us below average production. The only reason he will probably stay is the loyalty factor, but at this point one has to wonder if it is worth it. Specially with the other 2 thirds of the big three likely gone.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-13-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but the most logical move would be to salary dump him. He's paid like an all-star to give us below average production. The only reason he will probably stay is the loyalty factor, but at this point one has to wonder if it is worth it. Specially with the other 2 thirds of the big three likely gone.

They're not going to salary dump him. If there's a chance to trade him they'll ask him to approve the destination. They've cared about trade destinations of much lesser players than him, so there's no chance they dump him to some shit hole like Sacramento to finish his career, they're not that ruthless.

DAF86
05-13-2016, 01:38 PM
They're not going to salary dump him. If there's a chance to trade him they'll ask him to approve the destination. They've cared about trade destinations of much lesser players than him, so there's no chance they dump him to some shit hole like Sacramento to finish his career, they're not that ruthless.

I know, it would be the smart thing to do though.

DAF86
05-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Or reconstruct the contract. Can't they do that? They need to something.

coachmac87
05-13-2016, 01:41 PM
I just feel it's easier to get his value off the bench. People want all these moves to happen but who's going to lead our bench?? Parker IMO is the best candidate..he'd get close to his old role as possible. He's just not the type of player Pop tried to mold him into this season. He's a scorer at heart and everything else with his game feeds off that.

Unless people can come up with a better option I think this should be his role.

TXstbobcat
05-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Or reconstruct the contract. Can't they do that? They need to something.

Unfortunately they can't restructure Parker's contract.

DAF86
05-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately they can't restructure Parker's contract.

Why is that? I remember they did it with RJ some years ago. Why is this situation different?

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Why is that? I remember they did it with RJ some years ago. Why is this situation different?

They didn't restructure RJ's contract. He had a player option that he declined because of a wink-wink agreement that the Spurs would give him a longer contract, which he got.

NBA players don't get their contracts restructured.

TXstbobcat
05-13-2016, 01:46 PM

They didn't restructure jefferson's contract. He had a player option on the final year. He opted out and signed a longer-term deal with the Spurs.

Tony Parker's deal is fully guaranteed and cannot be restructured per the collective-bargaining agreement.

DAF86
05-13-2016, 01:46 PM
They didn't restructure RJ's contract. He had a player option that he declined because of a wink-wink agreement that the Spurs would give him a longer contract, which he got.

NBA players don't get their contracts restructured.

Oh, ok. Thanks. I always thought it was a contract reconstruction.

gambit1990
05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
the thought of him on the spurs doesn't sit well with me. can't believe it took so long for so many of you to see how little he does for the team.

someone has to be willing to trade for him. worse contracts have been moved...

i feel like he'd prefer a big market. maybe sean marks can us a solid? not sure what assets the nets have though :lol

da_suns_fan
05-13-2016, 01:51 PM
As if Tony Parker is going to be OK being a sixth man.

Then again, he's got 30 million owed to him...maybe he doesnt give a shit!

TDomination
05-13-2016, 01:53 PM
I love the idea of Parker coming off the bench. But who becomes our starter that we don't have to pay a crazy amount for?

Because we will also need a big to replace Timmy if he leaves and also to replace West.

If Diaw stays he NEEDS TO LOSE WEIGHT, no exceptions. Like Tim did a few years ago.

DAF86
05-13-2016, 01:54 PM
They didn't restructure jefferson's contract. He had a player option on the final year. He opted out and signed a longer-term deal with the Spurs.

Tony Parker's deal is fully guaranteed and cannot be restructured per the collective-bargaining agreement.

Thanks.

So we're fucked then. 'Cause, to me, it's pretty obvious that this team's biggest need is an explosive guard that can get to the paint, hit the three and playmake. And a PG with those characteristics is probably the easiest thing to find. There's a bunch of Eric Bledsoe, Brando Knight, Jeff Teague type players that could be had without giving too much and that would automatically make us better.

gambit1990
05-13-2016, 01:55 PM
maybe bud can do us another favor before he gets fired...

TXstbobcat
05-13-2016, 01:56 PM
I love the idea of Parker coming off the bench. But who becomes our starter that we don't have to pay a crazy amount for?

Because we will also need a big to replace Timmy if he leaves and also to replace West.

If Diaw stays he NEEDS TO LOSE WEIGHT, no exceptions. Like Tim did a few years ago.

no more French cuisine for Diaw this offseason.

spursistan
05-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Drastic times call for drastic measures..if Manu/TD retire, PATFO need to bite the bullet and move one from Big 3 era..Nothing against Tony, but we need to get younger and accelerate the rebuild..

It is going to be hard finding a taker but it shouldn't be for a lack of trying..see if Sean Marks can take him, he would love New York life...

coachmac87
05-13-2016, 02:04 PM
As if Tony Parker is going to be OK being a sixth man.

Then again, he's got 30 million owed to him...maybe he doesnt give a shit!

Why not? He struggled with his role all year and him going to the bench isn't necessarily a slap in his face..Manu did it his whole career. If retiring as a Spur his really important to him he will do it..Or he can go start for the Knicks

K...
05-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Salary dumping Parker would cost us a pick. Probably the first. We probably should use the first.

Could we trade Parker for equal talent..easily?

Will the team trade Parker? Unlikely. He's a loyal soldier and I think we go thing understudy with Parker as mentor.

If we are dead set on Conley though, we'll trade Parker

da_suns_fan
05-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Why not? He struggled with his role all year and him going to the bench isn't necessarily a slap in his face..Manu did it his whole career. If retiring as a Spur his really important to him he will do it..Or he can go start for the Knicks

We're talking about this guy, right?

http://www.ranthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/EvaLongoriaTonyCheat.jpg

TXstbobcat
05-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Salary dumping Parker would cost us a pick. Probably the first. We probably should use the first.

Could we trade Parker for equal talent..easily?

Will the team trade Parker? Unlikely. He's a loyal soldier and I think we go thing understudy with Parker as mentor.

If we are dead set on Conley though, we'll trade Parker

you are probably correct that it would cost us a pick to trade Parker. Didn't we have to include a first round pick in the deal with Golden State to get rid of Jefferson?

SouthernFried
05-13-2016, 02:34 PM
I've thought TONY should be 6th man coming off the Bench since last year.

He's not a fascilator...never has been. Just ain't in him. He's a scorer. Coming off the bench, he wouldn't be feeding LMA and Kawhi and could focus on what he does best without the competition...scoring. It's a natural fit for him now. As far as how the money would work on this...I have no clue. lol

intlspurshk
05-13-2016, 02:36 PM
SPURS can't pay 15 million for a bench player. If SPURS find a new starting PG, TP needs to be traded.

FlAVaK
05-13-2016, 03:07 PM
you are probably correct that it would cost us a pick to trade Parker. Didn't we have to include a first round pick in the deal with Golden State to get rid of Jefferson?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/festus_ezeli.png

houston spurs fan
05-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Trade for Jeff Teague and have TP come off the bench. He can be the creator with the 2nd unit...Get a rim protecting/rebounding big and we're set. Hell no to Pau

lmbebo
05-13-2016, 03:39 PM
People keep mentioning Teague like he'll be gotten for peanuts. Atlanta is trying to rebuild team too and if Teague can land valuable assets, they will. He's on a relatively cheap contract and won't hurt them to keep him around. They aren't going to dump him unless he become's a locker room cancer.

Dro210
05-13-2016, 05:48 PM
I like it... Wish they would have done it this year tbh. It's half of the reason I was calling for them to start Kyle at PG: so Tony could give the bench the scoring it needed. Patty would have been better with Tony running that unit too.

I know a lot of people here hate him and think Kyle is horrible and thought that idea sucked, but his defense is pretty good, especially if he was playing with that unit... Which didn't really need offense from him, other than smart distribution, which is his strongest suit. I agree he would've been much more effective in that roll with a respectable jumpshot, but I still think it would have worked better than what we just went down with. Getting absolutely nothing from our bench.

As for going forward, being able to add somebody else now... Without giving it too deep of thought, I can get down with Clarkson for sure. I like his skillset and competitiveness and size. Conley could end up ok I guess, but I think we'd be overpaying and the injury worries me.

this team's biggest need is an explosive guard that can get to the paint, hit the three and playmake. And a PG with those characteristics is probably the easiest thing to find. There's a bunch of Eric Bledsoe, Brando Knight, Jeff Teague type players that could be had without giving too much and that would automatically make us better.

Everybody keeps mentioning Teague... I'd rather have Schroder. First time I saw that guy in person, the only guy with comparable speed is Russ. I call him Baby Westbrook. Dude can ball, he keeps improving too. I don't know his contract situation off-hand tho.

TheGreatYacht
05-13-2016, 05:59 PM
SPURS can't pay 15 million for a bench player. If SPURS find a new starting PG, TP needs to be traded.
Sure they can. They paid Manu 14,000,000 to cost them a finals in 2013

gambit1990
05-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Everybody keeps mentioning Teague... I'd rather have Schroder. First time I saw that guy in person, the only guy with comparable speed is Russ. I call him Baby Westbrook. Dude can ball, he keeps improving too. I don't know his contract situation off-hand tho.
i'd rather have schroder too. atlanta probably feels the same way though. that's a funny nickname, baby westbrook.

maybe bud can hook it up.