PDA

View Full Version : Parker

Neurosis
05-14-2016, 08:26 AM
First off, don't take this as me hating on Parker. This is just my assesment of his worth to the team relative to the size of his contract. With that out of the way:

Parker does nothing on offense that we couldn't get for about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the price from another PG in this league, and there's better defenders at the PG spot who earn 1/10th of what he gets per year.

That's not to say we had a realistic shot at obtaining them at the time we signed Parker, but it's an indisputable fact that Parker's contract is absolutely terrible value. He's earning $13.5mil this year, while Jeremy Lin is getting $2.1mil. Think about the extra room you've got to acquire better pieces if you make that move and don't make decisions based on, "history". For the output we've gotten out of Ginobili and Duncan, it's hard to say they're getting charity pay for their historical contributions to the Spurs (which are way more than Parker anyway).

Not only did they do more in their primes, they did more in the last two seasons - all while getting paid less than Parker. He's absolute shit value for us and it's pretty much keeping us limping to keep him here on that contract. Considering that we have some really good pieces NOW in LMA/Kawhi and the value we've got on the supporting cast around them (DWest is an absolute bargain and whatever drawbacks he has, his contract is awesome value) we should be doing everything we can to model ourselves into a competitive unit. We've got serious issues at multiple positions that can be alleviated by not having that shit Parker contract.

Also people can say what they want about the 'benefit of his leadership' but it's really nothing compared to TD and Manu. TD is a top5 all time player and Manu is literally a basketball visionary and unbelievable competitor. They offer incredible intangibles to the team. Parker doesn't. He's been around a long time - so what? There's lots of veterans out there, he's not unique in that regard. Parker always served a niche, he had great speed, quickness, a great finisher at the rim and a good mid-range J off the dribble if given space. He played within that mold and he had the physical ability to use that combination of traits to play efficient, winning basketball on a consistent, night-in, night-out basis. He no longer possesses all these qualities to a level where he can ever be relied upon, and he has no quality that he can fall back upon when he's not doing those things consistently.

If Parker isn't scoring lay-ups, hitting open jumpshots and finishing floaters in the lane - he's completely useless to the team. If he loses half a step (which he has) and that floater which used to just outreach the finger tips of shot blockers is now getting blocked the opponent starts getting fast-breaks off Parker-drives instead of us scoring 2points. He used to often drive inside, put up a floater and then careen into the baseline cameramen as the ball dropped neatly through the net for 2. It was pretty to watch and don't get me wrong - I was a big Parker fan in those days because despite his lack of Defense, he was a net positive for the team. Now he more often gets the shot blocked, or because he's lost half a step he often adjusts the angle of his shot to either get it off quicker or arc it higher, and a lot of his floaters rim out and the way he careens into the baseline just looks pathetic when he misses.

If he was being paid $5mil to come off the bench - no sweat. He's worth that and he's a great tool to keep teams honest. Scrubs can't guard Parker because he still has the skillset to punish bad defense, he forces opposing teams to keep a defender with good footspeed on the floor, or decent length to bother his shots. He's been beating up on any team that doesn't give him at least that respect all year, and that's fine in my book.

However $14mil next season is just too much to ask. For the sake of the team, he really should get traded. We have too many gaps to shore up to keep this poor-value contract on the squad. Honestly I don't blame Parker for this either, he does what he can with the abilities he has. It's not his fault that his worth to the team was grossly over-estimated by the FO. I wish he was on a lesser contract because I wish we could use him as a talented niche player on the team. As it is we can't - because the contract he's on is totally absurd for his output.

Sad to say but Parker's gotta go.

ElNono
05-14-2016, 08:42 AM
In before the merge

TrainOfThought5
05-14-2016, 08:48 AM
INDIANA JONES SLIDE IN BEFORE THE MERGE

MVPCues
05-14-2016, 08:49 AM
I will reply Monday...after reading your post.

Clipper Nation
05-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Sadly, these truthbombs will get merged, whereas everyone's faggy Kawhi-bashing threads will get to stay separate.

K...
05-14-2016, 10:36 PM
First off, don't take this as me hating on Parker. This is just my assesment of his worth to the team relative to the size of his contract. With that out of the way:

Parker does nothing on offense that we couldn't get for about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the price from another PG in this league, and there's better defenders at the PG spot who earn 1/10th of what he gets per year.

That's not to say we had a realistic shot at obtaining them at the time we signed Parker, but it's an indisputable fact that Parker's contract is absolutely terrible value. He's earning $13.5mil this year, while Jeremy Lin is getting $2.1mil. Think about the extra room you've got to acquire better pieces if you make that move and don't make decisions based on, "history". For the output we've gotten out of Ginobili and Duncan, it's hard to say they're getting charity pay for their historical contributions to the Spurs (which are way more than Parker anyway).

Not only did they do more in their primes, they did more in the last two seasons - all while getting paid less than Parker. He's absolute shit value for us and it's pretty much keeping us limping to keep him here on that contract. Considering that we have some really good pieces NOW in LMA/Kawhi and the value we've got on the supporting cast around them (DWest is an absolute bargain and whatever drawbacks he has, his contract is awesome value) we should be doing everything we can to model ourselves into a competitive unit. We've got serious issues at multiple positions that can be alleviated by not having that shit Parker contract.

Also people can say what they want about the 'benefit of his leadership' but it's really nothing compared to TD and Manu. TD is a top5 all time player and Manu is literally a basketball visionary and unbelievable competitor. They offer incredible intangibles to the team. Parker doesn't. He's been around a long time - so what? There's lots of veterans out there, he's not unique in that regard. Parker always served a niche, he had great speed, quickness, a great finisher at the rim and a good mid-range J off the dribble if given space. He played within that mold and he had the physical ability to use that combination of traits to play efficient, winning basketball on a consistent, night-in, night-out basis. He no longer possesses all these qualities to a level where he can ever be relied upon, and he has no quality that he can fall back upon when he's not doing those things consistently.

If Parker isn't scoring lay-ups, hitting open jumpshots and finishing floaters in the lane - he's completely useless to the team. If he loses half a step (which he has) and that floater which used to just outreach the finger tips of shot blockers is now getting blocked the opponent starts getting fast-breaks off Parker-drives instead of us scoring 2points. He used to often drive inside, put up a floater and then careen into the baseline cameramen as the ball dropped neatly through the net for 2. It was pretty to watch and don't get me wrong - I was a big Parker fan in those days because despite his lack of Defense, he was a net positive for the team. Now he more often gets the shot blocked, or because he's lost half a step he often adjusts the angle of his shot to either get it off quicker or arc it higher, and a lot of his floaters rim out and the way he careens into the baseline just looks pathetic when he misses.

If he was being paid $5mil to come off the bench - no sweat. He's worth that and he's a great tool to keep teams honest. Scrubs can't guard Parker because he still has the skillset to punish bad defense, he forces opposing teams to keep a defender with good footspeed on the floor, or decent length to bother his shots. He's been beating up on any team that doesn't give him at least that respect all year, and that's fine in my book.

However $14mil next season is just too much to ask. For the sake of the team, he really should get traded. We have too many gaps to shore up to keep this poor-value contract on the squad. Honestly I don't blame Parker for this either, he does what he can with the abilities he has. It's not his fault that his worth to the team was grossly over-estimated by the FO. I wish he was on a lesser contract because I wish we could use him as a talented niche player on the team. As it is we can't - because the contract he's on is totally absurd for his output.

Sad to say but Parker's gotta go.

Wow so many words to say the obvious.

Trading PArker is fine if you accept: Teams know he sucks (but he isn't valueless), He won't net lottery talent or great promising young talent, and finally, trading parker creates a whole that must be replaced.

in a time of changes i'd argue you might not want to change the glue that holds it together even if that glue is old. Yes, improving the PG slot is important, but is not the only change that needs to happen.

IF David west had signed a mutliyear contact we'd have the same thread.

bdictjames
05-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Trade one of the big three? Dude has given his best years to San Antonio. Let him retire a Spur.

TXstbobcat
05-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Spurs are stuck with Parker and the 30 million left on his contract. Those that think Parker will be traded are living in fantasyland.

gambit1990
05-14-2016, 10:43 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255957

LongtimeSpursFan
05-15-2016, 01:00 AM
Nothing new to see here. Pretty much the same regurgitated crap that you can find from any KDwight Leonard fan bois.

K...
05-15-2016, 10:22 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255957

oh i see instead of bumping your thread you link to it. I've never seen someone try to spin their fail and double down into another fail so bad.

dbreiden83080
05-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Well if you are trading him we obviously need a PG so where does he go and for what?

apalisoc_9
05-15-2016, 02:47 PM
TP is fine. He just needs to drill it into his head that he might not be the best player anymore to handle the ball.

He could be a valuable 6th man if he accepts that role. Depending on the roster available next year.

myhc
05-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Parker is the de facto starting PG for the remainder of his contract. Hopefully we pick up a younger, more defensive minded PG who we have the option to close games when TP stinks up the place.

SASdynasty!
05-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Stopped reading when you said we've gotten more production out of Manu than Parker.

cd98
05-15-2016, 07:55 PM
If they get Conley, Parker could be an effective 6th man. He can score on 2nd units and be the primary ball handler without interfering with the starters. We'd have to trade Mills and find a talker player to replace his shooting range.

sook
05-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Parker needs help damnit.

He also needs an enviornment that will help him succeed. It is the spur's obligation to fulfill that as he is our best chance at a ring. If he wants Duncan to give him M&Ms after every FT he makes you shutup and do it.

Can't jeopardize our future.

Snaq O'Meal
05-15-2016, 09:50 PM
TP is fine. He just needs to drill it into his head that he might not be the best player anymore to handle the ball.

He could be a valuable 6th man if he accepts that role. Depending on the roster available next year.

Parker is still the best guy to run the offence and set KL and LMA up in their right spots. Even Jordan needed a Pippen to set up plays. Tony just needs to learn when it's his time to attack.

We all saw the results of running all those static iso plays. KL plays balls-out on both ends, guarding the best players and being the top 2 option on offence. No surprises that he gets gassed late in 4th quarters, especially when he never had the chance of learning how to pace himself for major minutes because of all the rest his coach gives him. A balanced attack with proper set plays and more ball movement should be re-established.

Spurtacular
05-16-2016, 12:55 AM
Sadly, these truthbombs will get merged, whereas everyone's faggy Kawhi-bashing threads will get to stay separate.

Sniffle.

Neurosis
05-16-2016, 05:55 AM
Stopped reading when you said we've gotten more production out of Manu than Parker.

Manu at 38 is still capable of good defensive plays and outhustles people half his age. Tony Parker would be lucky to guard the corpse of Rajon Rondo at this stage of his career.

Manu has a higher TS%, better free-throw shooter, better scoring rate and easily makes more impact plays than Parker does. Every defensive sequence with Parker on the floor revolves around the other 4 Spurs on the court scrambling to cover the unavoidable mismatch created by having Parker on the floor. Also this thread is about value and Ginobili's getting paid less than $3mil while Parker gets nearly $14mil. Ginobili has higher, is a better defender and certainly has better intangibles than Parker. There's no doubt that Ginobili has more impact when he's on the floor. His only downside is literally that he's too old to play more minutes, Ginobili's actual play is well worth his $2.8mil contract, Parker's not worth what he's being paid.

You're an actual idiot if you can't see that.

skulls138
05-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Parker is still the best guy to run the offence and set KL and LMA up in their right spots. Even Jordan needed a Pippen to set up plays. Tony just needs to learn when it's his time to attack.

We all saw the results of running all those static iso plays. KL plays balls-out on both ends, guarding the best players and being the top 2 option on offence. No surprises that he gets gassed late in 4th quarters, especially when he never had the chance of learning how to pace himself for major minutes because of all the rest his coach gives him. A balanced attack with proper set plays and more ball movement should be re-established.Next season we need both another big and a scorer to spell KL from having to do so much. And they both need to be close to their prime. OKC beat us because they had so many guys in their prime or younger. Other than KL and LA we either had too old or too young

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2016, 11:35 AM
INDIANA JONES SLIDE IN BEFORE THE MERGE

I laughed.

Brian Windhorst
05-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Parker is the de facto starting PG for the remainder of his contract. Hopefully we pick up a younger, more defensive minded PG who we have the option to close games when TP stinks up the place.

If we could get rid of Patty and have a backup more like Cory Joseph that would be ideal, especially on a post-Manu team where Patty will be useless.