PDA

View Full Version : The next steps in Kawhi's evolution as a player

TDfan2007
05-14-2016, 01:13 PM
There are 3 major offensive things that Kawhi currently lacks:

Situational awareness:
He has to know when to post guys up, and when to face up. Too often in this series he tried straight-line drives against a quicker Robertson that went absolutely nowhere. Where he found success in the halfcourt against Robertson was on the block and using his improved dribble game (the spins, crossovers, etc.), but there weren't enough of those moments.

The dribble drive game:
Kawhi doesn't get low enough on his drives. As a result, it's not that tough for guys to stay in front of him, and the help D doesn't have to commit to his drives as much. The ball handling is there, the finishing ability at the rim is there. He just needs to work on bending those knees more on his drives.

Adding spice to the faceup game:
Kawhi's faceup game is a little vanilla for the most part. He either shoots the contested jumper, or takes straight-line drives. If he could work on a rocker-step/jab-step type of move, it would help him a lot. He doesn't have an explosive first step, so a jab-step would help throw his defender off balance just enough for him to get the advantage. He's shown flashes of fantastic footwork this season, so he definitely has the ability to add these types of moves to his game.

I have no doubt that next season he'll improve, hopefully with one or all of the above things in his repertoire. What I just pointed out are the things that I feel are stopping him from being a superstar-level offensive player.

TheGoldStandard
05-14-2016, 01:25 PM
He also needs to demand the ball... there were stretches where the offense went away from him and he was perfectly comfortable with that.. If this is his team then he needs the ball in his hands a lot.

Kawhitstorm
05-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Situational awareness:
He has to know when to post guys up, and when to face up. Too often in this series he tried straight-line drives against a quicker Robertson that went absolutely nowhere. Where he found success in the halfcourt against Robertson was on the block and using his improved dribble game (the spins, crossovers, etc.), but there weren't enough of those moments.

He has a spin move but he doesn't use it enough especially for a player that postups as much as his does (same w/ LMA although he uses it more often). At least, he executed a reverse pivot when Roberson was sitting on his fadeaway.

He also gets the ball ripped from him when he tries to go coast to coast after a steal, he never looks back to see if there is ball-hawk coming his way.

Adding spice to the faceup game

Kawhi's faceup game is a little vanilla for the most part. He either shoots the contested jumper, or takes straight-line drives. If he could work on a rocker-step/jab-step type of move, it would help him a lot. He doesn't have an explosive first step, so a jab-step would help throw his defender off balance just enough for him to get the advantage. He's shown flashes of fantastic footwork this season, so he definitely has the ability to add these types of moves to his game.

Considering Carmelo is his idol, I'm surprised that he doesn't use jab-steps whatsoever. He could jab-step & shoot an UNCONTESTED step-back.

MaNu4Tres
05-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Keep improving his shot, keep working on his dribbling, keep working on PnR game, watch a lot of film on his Pick and roll game.

Needs to work on getting easier shots for him and his teammates.

He overdribbled and worked too hard a lot of times in big games to find OKAY/BAD shots. Needs to fix that.

tholdren
05-14-2016, 03:14 PM
He has a spin move but he doesn't use it enough especially for a player that postups as much as his does (same w/ LMA although he uses it more often). At least, he executed a reverse pivot when Roberson was sitting on his fadeaway.

He also gets the ball ripped from him when he tries to go coast to coast after a steal, he never looks back to see if there is ball-hawk coming his way.

Considering Carmelo is his idol, I'm surprised that he doesn't use jab-steps whatsoever. He could jab-step & shoot an UNCONTESTED step-back.
Situational awareness has already been stated and is the number one concept. He's got to get to the line when there is a run by the other team - again situational awareness.

Quickness / Handles - offensive game needs to improve first step and ability to get to the rim (Im not exactly sure why this is an issue, he uses his body well so...?)

Bitching - for a quiet player he picked up that Parker duncan look at the ref and shrugging shoulders. Cut that shit out.

TheGreatYacht
05-14-2016, 03:18 PM
1) Play great for a full series, that means every game, for once.
2) Learn to pass
3) Suck up to refs before the game like Harden, George, and DeRozan
4) Get some new shoes to prevent slipping

coachmac87
05-14-2016, 03:28 PM
He needs to be decisive when attacking the paint. Too many times where you see him get stuck in no mans land..and IMO his foot work needs to get worked on..especially that first step and if his bread and butter is posting up working on foot work even more will make him unstoppable. Also shoot 1,000 shots a day..working on your jump shot is the easiest thing to do in basketball. He's already improved so much which gives me confidence he will become even better.

Dude has so much potential it's ridiculous and health is the only thing that can really hold him back

UZER
05-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Play 38 mpg to condition for the playoffs.

Russ
05-14-2016, 04:03 PM
The next steps in Kawhi's evolution as a player?

He needs to show more fire in his game.

Bigs like Duncan and Jabbar can be passive and great.

Swingmen Like Kawhi need to show fire to be great (unless they're Alex English-like pure shooters which Kawhi ain't).

Kawhi came from bad circumstances and, unlike some from such backgrounds, Kawhi can't believe this is all happening to him and he doesn't want to blow it.

He wakes up thinking it all might end -- maybe it's all just a dream.

Then Pop says he loves players who've "gotten over themselves."

Pop needs to tell Kawhi the opposite -- be entitled. Be selfish. Tell the world to fuck off. Be an egomaniac to the point that Kobe is envious.

Demand. Demand of the refs. Demand of your teammates. Demand of Pop.

Play with abandon -- like you're entitled. It will rub of on your teammates. Just like Duncan's cool confidence did. Just like Manu's passion did.

Find your voice Kawhi -- any voice will do.

spursistan
05-14-2016, 04:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6zFT0d_tRE

he has it, and it is smooth one..Kawhi has offensive tools but he settles to much for the contested midrange..I really think refs lack of respect has messed up with his aggression level as the season wound down.. only 6 FTA in the last two games :bang....

Kawhitstorm
05-14-2016, 07:19 PM
[video=youtube;G6zFT0d_tRE] he has it, and it is smooth one..Kawhi has offensive tools but he settles to much for the contested midrange..I really think refs lack of respect has messed up with his aggression level as the season wound down.. only 6 FTA in the last two games :bang....

He has the Carmelo syndrome where his first instinct is to pull up for a jumper, it doesn't help LMA is his teammate.:lol Even Porker now settles for jumpers more than he drive. Pop needs to give Kawhi tapes of Cory Maggette, tbh.:lol

Dat footwork thou::wow (I think Andre Miller taught him this reverse pivot move:toast)

7ReYNBoMTnE

Bonus:

22yT4qpzsAc

Needs to add this to his repertoire:

VRANBC1B2N4

loveforthegame
05-14-2016, 08:54 PM
he has it, and it is smooth one..Kawhi has offensive tools but he settles to much for the contested midrange..I really think refs lack of respect has messed up with his aggression level as the season wound down.. only 6 FTA in the last two games :bang....

Agree with this. Early years if he didn't get the call he'd stop attacking period. He stuck with it more this season but you could tell it was bothering him. Enough for Duncan to speak up for him.

I also think having to chase guys like Westbrook around for 70% of the game wears him down. His breather? Having to switch to Durant. It wasn't until game 6 that Pop put him on Roberson. This isn't for a game here or there. It's for the course of a season. Playoffs are even worse. It's why I can't stress enough the need for a pg who can guard his own man.

spursistan
05-14-2016, 09:37 PM
His rate of development has been crazy, though, which is great sign......need some mental work from outside (hopefully Kirby drills a dose of necessary selfishness into him when they work out in the summer).. looking forward to see the complete package of peak Kawhi at 27-29 of age ..

If PATFO can add more complementary talent in the next couple of years we may be able to contend for a title again..

AFMadison
05-15-2016, 12:58 AM
Isn't Kobe supposedly "mentoring" Kawhi this offseason? I know Pop said something to Kobe about it in early January. Would be nice if Kobe could help Kawhi be a little more aggressive.

SAGirl
05-15-2016, 06:13 AM
Agree with this. Early years if he didn't get the call he'd stop attacking period. He stuck with it more this season but you could tell it was bothering him. Enough for Duncan to speak up for him.

I also think having to chase guys like Westbrook around for 70% of the game wears him down. His breather? Having to switch to Durant. It wasn't until game 6 that Pop put him on Roberson. This isn't for a game here or there. It's for the course of a season. Playoffs are even worse. It's why I can't stress enough the need for a pg who can guard his own man.
Probably a big issue TBH
Also a big reason why Danny continues to be a perfect swingman mate for Kawhi as he's an elite defender from the SG spot and can relieve him at times.
The PG of the future has to have defensive acumen... its a huge need.

-21-
05-15-2016, 11:32 AM
1) Play great for a full series, that means every game, for once.
2) Learn to pass
3) Suck up to refs before the game like Harden, George, and DeRozan
4) Get some new shoes to prevent slipping

This is pretty underrated tbh. Although his dribble drive game isn't at the same level of elite scorers, he gets fouled a lot of times when he attacks yet rarely gets a call. As for the other points, I'm pretty confident he'll keep working on his game. He's improved every year, no reason to believe next year won't be the same.

daslicer
05-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Meh he's not going to get much better because the two things that he needs to improve on are very difficult to get better at his age which is ball handling and passing.

skulls138
05-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Meh he's not going to get much better because the two things that he needs to improve on are very difficult to get better at his age which is ball handling and passing.If anyone can improve on something in the span of an offseason, its Kawhi.

skulls138
05-15-2016, 12:20 PM
The next steps in Kawhi's evolution as a player?

He needs to show more fire in his game.

Bigs like Duncan and Jabbar can be passive and great.

Swingmen Like Kawhi need to show fire to be great (unless they're Alex English-like pure shooters which Kawhi ain't).

Kawhi came from bad circumstances and, unlike some from such backgrounds, Kawhi can't believe this is all happening to him and he doesn't want to blow it.

He wakes up thinking it all might end -- maybe it's all just a dream.

Then Pop says he loves players who've "gotten over themselves."

Pop needs to tell Kawhi the opposite -- be entitled. Be selfish. Tell the world to fuck off. Be an egomaniac to the point that Kobe is envious.

Demand. Demand of the refs. Demand of your teammates. Demand of Pop.

Play with abandon -- like you're entitled. It will rub of on your teammates. Just like Duncan's cool confidence did. Just like Manu's passion did.

Find your voice Kawhi -- any voice will do. He has his voice, its just quiet. Be careful what you wish for and dont forget that his game is more than just scoring. Much of what KL does outside of scoring is better than Kobe ever has.

DMC
05-15-2016, 12:32 PM
KL doesn't need to be Kobe or MJ in demanding the ball because he cannot do a lot with it when he gets it right now. Spurs don't run a one man show. The PG still runs the offense.

I'd like to see an offense that allowed the PG to actually feel out the defense instead of looking over at the bench on every transition to see what General Pockton wants.

hitmanyr2k
05-15-2016, 02:02 PM
He needs to diversify his post game and footwork because he's going to that fadeaway way too often and it's becoming predictable to the point where he's getting no space from the defender and making it into an even tougher shot. For some reason he also abandoned his jumphook which was very effective. I'm not sure if he can help it because of his limited athleticism but he has no explosion on his dribble drive and his layup attempts are often low to the ground and very awkward.

TheDoctor
05-15-2016, 02:27 PM
He needs to diversify his post game and footwork because he's going to that fadeaway way too often and it's becoming predictable to the point where he's getting no space from the defender and making it into an even tougher shot. For some reason he also abandoned his jumphook which was very effective. I'm not sure if he can help it because of his limited athleticism but he has no explosion on his dribble drive and his layup attempts are often low to the ground and very awkward.
I agree. Another part of his game that I think he needs to put some work on, is his PnR passing. It can ve very effective when the team's jumpers aren't falling and the offense is stagnant.

skulls138
05-15-2016, 02:58 PM
He needs to diversify his post game and footwork because he's going to that fadeaway way too often and it's becoming predictable to the point where he's getting no space from the defender and making it into an even tougher shot. For some reason he also abandoned his jumphook which was very effective. I'm not sure if he can help it because of his limited athleticism but he has no explosion on his dribble drive and his layup attempts are often low to the ground and very awkward.I also agree and think the way he can combat that is if he tries but fails to beat his man off the dribble then keep the dribble but back into him and try again. If they double team him, find the open man. Mainly though is keep the dribble and be determined to score inside. All this can also be attributed to LA too.

Once hes established that he can score inside, THEN he can make the space to allow an easy turnaround jumper.