PDA

View Full Version : Pop: The playoffs weigh heavily in our decision making.

SAGirl
05-14-2016, 02:05 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/?tmd=1

Nice interview by Pop on media availability. Talks about the team, LMA, Andre Miller, etc.

What struck me: He said he wishes Andre Miller was 30... he's a natural leader on the floor, natural feel for the game, does a lot of things you can't coach.
Kawhi: Terrific player, still getting better.
LMA: Pleased with him. He's adapted faster to the team in his first season than anyone else they have ever brought on board.

On the loss: the OKC big men Adams and Kanter were very hard to deal with, they should have won games 2 and 5 which were very close, and a call here or there going their way, or a shot could have turned them in our favor.

On the team constitution moving forward: Performance during the regular season vs. the playoffs? The playoffs weigh very heavily on Pop's decision on who to keep moving forward and what they need to add to the team. He stated the team has historically relied a lot in their bench. When they have won championships they always had more guys in the team and in their bench playing well than the opponent. He mentioned the team this season didn't have the depth to stay in games and that was the reason they lost games 2 and 5 for example.

Tim and Manu: He might have been joking, or exaggerating, but he said whatever they decide is what the team will do. Basically, it's up to them if they want to retire or not and not something that Pop advises them on at this stage.
-----------------------
For us as fans to speculate and consider:
All the guys who underperformed in the playoffs, specially the veterans. Diaw and Patty, D.West? I think one tends to be tougher in evaluating NBA champions and veterans than youngsters and rookies, bc youngsters and rookies do not bring you a championship their first time with the team, but they do need to rebuild the bench, IMO.

What do you guys think?

AFMadison
05-14-2016, 02:16 PM
I agree. Everyone is overreacting to this Thunder series. If Tim and Manu want to stay on board, that's fine with me. They were not the problem in this series. Rebuild the bench. There are few I think should stay, but I'll leave it open for debate.

gambit1990
05-14-2016, 02:24 PM
not gonna watch, or at least not now, but if that's what pop really said and that's how he really feels about andre miller... then he should've given him some fucking playing time. i feel the same way about him and was on board for him starting over parker.

at 40 he outplayed parker in an elimination game.

Kawhitstorm
05-14-2016, 02:29 PM
What struck me: He said he wishes Andre Miller was 30... he's a natural leader on the floor, natural feel for the game, does a lot of things you can't coach.

The closest thing to Andre Miller is Mike Conley, so I guess that means::wow

J_Paco
05-14-2016, 02:45 PM
The closest thing to Andre Miller is Mike Conley, so I guess that means::wow

What?

Mike Conley plays nothing like Andre Miller did. Miller was a much better passer, rebounder and was more of a post up PG.

SAGirl
05-14-2016, 02:45 PM
I agree. Everyone is overreacting to this Thunder series. If Tim and Manu want to stay on board, that's fine with me. They were not the problem in this series. Rebuild the bench. There are few I think should stay, but I'll leave it open for debate.
As far as the bench goes I would only keep the guys who barely played bc they were either rookies or have upside due to youth and a developing game. As I said, rookies and players still developing don't win championships. You give them another season to see if they improve + we don't have much in terms of youth or potential and these guys are better prospects than the Daye or Ayers we carried seasons past and they are cheap. You keep your developing projects.

The veterans: Manu its up to him basically. We can speculate. Personally I think he retires. Others will disagree and emotional attachment is a factor. He didn't have a good series. He was OK against the depleted Grizz but didn't gain rhythm going into the second round. Two postseasons in a row his impact is not what it used to be and he's older, so he's not going to turn it around next season. If he returns, it has to be as a complementary, supportive leader, but the burden has to be on someone younger and not on him. I am not sure if he wants to return to defer to youngsters.

Diaw, West... time to move on. At any rate only one should be retained, not both. They can't play both together. Pop seemed to favor D.West more and more as the season wore on, starting him instead of Diaw when Timmy was injured. Diaw was getting benched for Anderson in the RS, ppl forget that, bc Diaw was lazy. Final game of the season saw Anderson briefly as a 4 in a small ball lineup. It could have been Diaw, but it wasn't. Diaw had a bunch of 0 contribution games in the RS and it was the same in the playoffs. I loved an engaged competitive Diaw, I am thankful to him for 2014, one of my favorite Spurs TBH, but the fire on him is going out. He could be a trade chip. If he's retained it will be for Anderson mentoring IMO but one could argue that was this season, so we shall see.

D.West might be ready to call it a career. He expressed a certain readiness to retire IMO even during the season, part of the reason he left money in Indiana was him wanting to end his career in a better note than what awaited him in Indiana.

Patty. I think he's retained bc he's cheap, but the lack of Cojo this season exposed him. Seasons prior Pop had the option of going with one or the other guy. I think Pop likes to have 3 PG options anyway, only RayMac didn't pan out as they expected. Pop's praise for Andre Miller told a lot in terms of what they want and value from a PG so I think Pop is going to want to look for options. Patty's shooting though streaky is needed. We don't have much in terms of shooters if Manu retires. IMO he returns but we add others, his role could be smaller next season.

Tony, that is the real question. Probably deserves a thread of its own.

SD126
05-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Clean out the bench. Manu can come back if he wants but everyone else can go ( I think Manu retires tbh)

TheGreatYacht
05-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Get an actual NBA Small Forward on the bench, figure everything else out after

TheGoldStandard
05-14-2016, 02:56 PM
As far as the bench goes I would only keep the guys who barely played bc they were either rookies or have upside due to youth and a developing game. As I said, rookies and players still developing don't win championships. You give them another season to see if they improve + we don't have much in terms of youth or potential and these guys are better prospects than the Daye or Ayers we carried seasons past and they are cheap. You keep your developing projects.

The veterans: Manu its up to him basically. We can speculate. Personally I think he retires. Others will disagree and emotional attachment is a factor. He didn't have a good series. He was OK against the depleted Grizz but didn't gain rhythm going into the second round. Two postseasons in a row his impact is not what it used to be and he's older, so he's not going to turn it around next season. If he returns, it has to be as a complementary, supportive leader, but the burden has to be on someone younger and not on him. I am not sure if he wants to return to defer to youngsters.

Diaw, West... time to move on. At any rate only one should be retained, not both. They can't play both together. Pop seemed to favor D.West more and more as the season wore on, starting him instead of Diaw when Timmy was injured. Diaw was getting benched for Anderson in the RS, ppl forget that, bc Diaw was lazy. Final game of the season saw Anderson briefly as a 4 in a small ball lineup. It could have been Diaw, but it wasn't. Diaw had a bunch of 0 contribution games in the RS and it was the same in the playoffs. I loved an engaged competitive Diaw, I am thankful to him for 2014, one of my favorite Spurs TBH, but the fire on him is going out. He could be a trade chip. If he's retained it will be for Anderson mentoring IMO but one could argue that was this season, so we shall see.

D.West might be ready to call it a career. He expressed a certain readiness to retire IMO even during the season, part of the reason he left money in Indiana was him wanting to end his career in a better note than what awaited him in Indiana.

Patty. I think he's retained bc he's cheap, but the lack of Cojo this season exposed him. Seasons prior Pop had the option of going with one or the other guy. I think Pop likes to have 3 PG options anyway, only RayMac didn't pan out as they expected. Pop's praise for Andre Miller told a lot in terms of what they want and value from a PG so I think Pop is going to want to look for options. Patty's shooting though streaky is needed. We don't have much in terms of shooters if Manu retires. IMO he returns but we add others, his role could be smaller next season.

The Spurs really didnt give Raymac a whole lot of time and they gave away this seasons 2nd round pick.

Kawhitstorm
05-14-2016, 03:05 PM
What?

Mike Conley plays nothing like Andre Miller did. Miller was a much better passer, rebounder and was more of a post up PG.

I'm talking about his demeanor/intangible which is what Pop was raving about when he brought up Andre.

tholdren
05-14-2016, 03:08 PM

I find it odd you don't mention how absolutely shitty kyle anderson played. I think that should be telling. Statistically Anderson played worse than everyone but Kevin Martin. I would like to see Kawhi/LMA/Green/Boban/Patty return and everyone else can go away.

AFMadison
05-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Batum?

AFMadison
05-14-2016, 03:12 PM
I find it odd you don't mention how absolutely shitty kyle anderson played. I think that should be telling. Statistically Anderson played worse than everyone but Kevin Martin. I would like to see Kawhi/LMA/Green/Boban/Patty return and everyone else can go away.
I would like to keep Simmons

Kikoluna
05-14-2016, 03:12 PM

Your in depth analysis b left out one HUGE element. ..Kyle Anderson does not need mentoring from diaw, he needs to be cut asap.I REPEAT ASAP.

coachmac87
05-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Pop has to give Simmons and Boban consistent playing time from the jump IMO. Those are 2 players who give EXACTLY what the Spurs need which is athleticism and size..

You just have to believe in them tbh and I dunno how Pop feels about them tbh..Simmons is a lock to come back with his contract and if he can practice shooting off the dribble and work on catch and shoot 3's he can really help us. He can even play point guard IMO.

I dunno how the Boban contract will go down but if he's back he should be our back up center or possibly start. He's very skilled player with size and needs to be apart of the rotation next year and force teams to game plan him.

TheGreatYacht
05-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Batum?
Batum and Gobert, get it done MVParker :toast

Spurtacular
05-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Parker is the glaring deficiency. We have a role player at the helm.

Clipper Nation
05-14-2016, 03:16 PM
If that were the case, Porker would have been dumped years ago. He is the second-biggest playoff choker in history, behind only Karl Malone, after all.

rmt
05-14-2016, 03:17 PM
I think people are overreacting. Each series/team is different. Everyone was focused on trying to match up with GSW thinking they were the great obstacle and forgetting that first you have to reach the WCF to play them. Pop changed the focus of the team - playing iso ball by slowing down the pace and posting up LMA and Leonard - knowing that was the only chance with GSW. Unfortunately, that didn't cut it against another iso team with 2 better stars (especially since Leonard still had defensive duties and Durant could afford to rest with Robertson on Leonard). The beautiful game that can beat the rest of the league was abandoned. I wish they could have played the spacing/ball movement of game 1 with the rest of the league and save the iso ball/slow pace for GSW but know it's hard to switch when you've been playing that way all regular season. All those calling for Diaw's exit would have rued that decision if they had made it to GSW where Diaw is CRUCIAL.

Yes, Kanter and Ibaka gave them loads of trouble but that's the chance Pop took when he had no real center to back up TD except a rookie Boban. And IMO it was a bad idea of Pop to be trotting out a rookie in an elimination game, sitting LMA for so long and playing Anderson over Diaw. West was fine - he did great in game 3? and I feel bad that he left $11million on the table to come to this result. The truth is that OKC WANTED it more - Durant, Westbrooke and Ibaka are in their primes and have had a string of bad luck in recent years with injury. All those plays where they hustled and the Spurs looked around at each other while OKC grabbed the loose ball were the difference.

AFMadison
Batum and Gobert, get it done MVParker :toast
Conley/Patty
Green/Simmons
Leonard/Batum
Aldridge/West
Gasol/Boban

?

Darius Bieber
If that were the case, Porker would have been dumped years ago. He is the second-biggest playoff choker in history, behind only Karl Malone, after all.

Years of Duncan and Ginobili bailing him out in the playoffs got him his championships.

tholdren
05-14-2016, 03:18 PM
I would like to keep Simmons
Good call - I forgot about him because Kyle Anderson took all of his minutes. I also think SA needs simmons.

TheGreatYacht
05-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Conley/Patty
Green/Simmons
Leonard/Batum
Aldridge/West
Gasol/Boban

?
You got that old piece of shit Manure out of the picture... Seems fine to me :tu

tholdren
05-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Conley/Patty
Green/Simmons
Leonard/Batum
Aldridge/West
Gasol/Boban

?
You should take out West. Unless this is not david west. I would almost take delonte west over david west.

coachmac87
05-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Kyle Anderson needs to get moved if he can't become a reliable shooter. And tbh his shot is soooooo bad I dunno if it can be saved.

AFMadison
05-14-2016, 03:23 PM
You should take out West. Unless this is not david west. I would almost take delonte west over david west.
I could see David West excelling next season, have a little fire after what he and the team gave us this playoffs.

AFMadison
05-14-2016, 03:23 PM
You got that old piece of shit Manure out of the picture... Seems fine to me :tu
Come on now .. Shame shame

tholdren
05-14-2016, 03:25 PM
I could see David West excelling next season, have a little fire after what he and the team gave us this playoffs.
why? He's wet farted in the playoffs every time.

weebo
05-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Did we miss Ferrari (Belinelli) this season or what?

AFMadison
05-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Did we miss Ferrari (Belinelli) this season or what?
Belinelli was one of my favorites, always came in and hit big shots. Wouldn't mind seeing him back.

r0drig0lac
05-14-2016, 04:22 PM

Matt Barnes

soxxx
05-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Honestly I dont want major changes to occur. In 2012 we didnt overreact, brought the team back, then brought it back again and won the title.

This ultimately came to not making plays in the clutch, which we did in 2014......Perhaps we need a slight philosophy change, Pop dedicate the whole year to focus on defense for the Warriors, we didnt get to play the Warriors though

K...
05-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Honestly I dont want major changes to occur. In 2012 we didnt overreact, brought the team back, then brought it back again and won the title.

This ultimately came to not making plays in the clutch, which we did in 2014......Perhaps we need a slight philosophy change, Pop dedicate the whole year to focus on defense for the Warriors, we didnt get to play the Warriors though

Uh that was milking out the big three, we are plugging holes.

Stay the course would be to keep Parker and pour our $$ into bigs.

I support this plan because I think Parker is useful but I don't dispute anyone's argument he should go or be benched. But this is game theory, every choice has am an effect and changing pg had huge effect/cost

TheGoldStandard
05-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Uh that was milking out the big three, we are plugging holes.

Stay the course would be to keep Parker and pour our $$ into bigs.

I support this plan because I think Parker is useful but I don't dispute anyone's argument he should go or be benched. But this is game theory, every choice has am an effect and changing pg had huge effect/cost

The fact that there was no clear cut offensive identity or philosophy lends itself to the notion that Parker at 15 million doesn't do anything that someone at 8 million couldn't do. If Duncan and Manu walk away Parker might as well ride off into the sunset, the kind of basketball philosophy that the spurs needs leaves him in the dust and obsolete.

DarrinS
05-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Matt Barnes

F that scrub. More like Batum.

K...
05-14-2016, 05:58 PM
The fact that there was no clear cut offensive identity or philosophy lends itself to the notion that Parker at 15 million doesn't do anything that someone at 8 million couldn't do. If Duncan and Manu walk away Parker might as well ride off into the sunset, the kind of basketball philosophy that the spurs needs leaves him in the dust and obsolete.

It's called a contract B.C. It binds the parties. Parker can't just walk away.....he'd be costly to cut. He'd be costly to salary dump. He'd could be traded for equal talent, but don't think we're getting young talent for Parker, think r.Jeff for s Jax.

Keeping Parker could be the easiest thing, even if it sucks. That's economics.

coachmac87
05-14-2016, 06:05 PM
It's called a contract B.C. It binds the parties. Parker can't just walk away.....he'd be costly to cut. He'd be costly to salary dump. He'd could be traded for equal talent, but don't think we're getting young talent for Parker, think r.Jeff for s Jax.

And bring him off the bench..I really like the idea

TheGoldStandard
05-14-2016, 06:11 PM

We really don't know what it would net because quite frankly its really something we haven't even considered doing probably in quite a long time. I wonder what the reaction of the league would be once these phone calls started to happen regarding trading Parker. We don't know how costly it would be to salary dump him to a team, what it would take or what we would get in return. Jeff for S. Jax wasn't a bad thing, Jax fit the profile of the team a lot better and gave us grit and determination, he just wasn't "spur material"

The sooner the "big 3" is over and the remnants of it are ousted the sooner a new philosophy can be adopted.

r0drig0lac
05-14-2016, 06:32 PM
F that scrub. More like Batum.

1- Batum is a better player
2- Batum would not come off the bench (maybe starter in sg)
3- Batum will receive very high offers on the market

for backup SF think Barnes would be great (especially for small ball)

ElNono
05-14-2016, 06:50 PM
While they're at it, time to rework the assistants too

TD 21
05-14-2016, 07:01 PM
The only potential non retiree, who I'd have said is probably more likely to return than not before the season, that probably no longer is, is Diaw. They clearly tired of his act as the season wore on, he's in decline, they (inexplicably) love Anderson and the two don't fit well together.

There's also a serious need for a true stretch four (28 3's from rotation bigs; 43 total from all bigs) and Bertans isn't the answer, at least not next season. He'll inevitably be a non rotation player in his first season, the same way every foreigner not named Parker and Ginobili have been.

Teletovic makes sense. The Suns and him supposedly have mutual interest in a return, but for all the obvious reasons, I'd imagine the Spurs would hold appeal.

Chinook
05-14-2016, 07:07 PM
People should cool it with the "Let's not overreact to the OKC loss" talk. That ignores that Tim and Manu and Parker were underwhelming or undependable for long swaths of the season. We were assuming that they would step it up in the playoffs, and they didn't. Overreacting is believing Tim's not done because of Game Six. He is, especially as a regular-season rotation player. Manu is done as the focal point of the second unit. But you're not going to get Tim as a pinch-hitter. You can definitely find guys who are better plays as off-ball guys than Manu at this point. It's hard for people to understand, but they simply aren't worth it anymore. If the Spurs were over the cap and have numerous young prospects developing, you could make the argument. But you really can't anymore.

TD 21
05-14-2016, 07:11 PM
People should cool it with the "Let's not overreact to the OKC loss" talk. That ignores that Tim and Manu and Parker were underwhelming or undependable for long swaths of the season. We were assuming that they would step it up in the playoffs, and they didn't. Overreacting is believing Tim's not done because of Game Six. He is, especially as a regular-season rotation player. Manu is done as the focal point of the second unit. But you're not going to get Tim as a pinch-hitter. You can definitely find guys who are better plays as off-ball guys than Manu at this point. It's hard for people to understand, but they simply aren't worth it anymore. If the Spurs were over the cap and have numerous young prospects developing, you could make the argument. But you really can't anymore.

I don't know who's more eager to see them go, SAGirl or you. You're both practically giddy at the prospect.

JuneJive
05-14-2016, 07:28 PM
What's best for the team vs. sentimentality.

I think Tim & Manu are wise enough to give this team the gift that a true great can give at his very end.

They retire. Spurs retool. Contend again.

TheGreatYacht
05-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Except Becky. She made Kyle look like an NBA Player :wow

rmt
05-14-2016, 08:29 PM

Parker is the problem - not worth the money he's getting. TD and Manu are certainly worth what they are getting paid. Sure TD underperformed this playoffs but remember he was 1st in DBPM and 2nd in DRating in the RS - especially when a big problem with OKC was their front line. You would get rid of them and replace with who? for that money? like big men go for cheap. I'm not even sure they can keep Boban - surely someone will pay him more than the Spurs can. And TD has certainly earned the right to stay as long as he wants - look at Bonner.

TheGoldStandard
05-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Parker is the problem - not worth the money he's getting. TD and Manu are certainly worth what they are getting paid. Sure TD underperformed this playoffs but remember he was 1st in DBPM and 2nd in DRating in the RS - especially when a big problem with OKC was their front line. You would get rid of them and replace with who? for that money? like big men go for cheap. I'm not even sure they can keep Boban - surely someone will pay him more than the Spurs can. And TD has certainly earned the right to stay as long as he wants - look at Bonner.

The draft.. Milutinov is parked overseas and he signed a 3 year deal but we need him now to start developing and keeping him over there is not going to help anything. Go through the D league and look for a diamond who's waiting for an opportunity. Summer League could yield some very positive results. Change doesn't happen unless its out of necessity and it is a necessity once tim walks away. Its time.

spursistan
05-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Is it time to question whether Messina as the lead senior assistant is bringing anything to the table? I understand Udoka deference (an age gap thing with Pop being his mentor), but things seem to have gotten worse even with guy we all shitted on (Boylen) departing last season..

tmtcsc
05-14-2016, 08:46 PM
not gonna watch, or at least not now, but if that's what pop really said and that's how he really feels about andre miller... then he should've given him some fucking playing time. i feel the same way about him and was on board for him starting over parker.

I agree completely. Miller looked terrific. Pop should have pulled the leash a lot quicker and a lot sooner with some of the under-performers (Mills and TP). Actually, I'm not sure TP under-performed, I think he gave exactly what he can nowadays. That's the sad part.

Of the BIG 3, he's the guy I don't want back. I'd be fine with Manu and Tim returning. Manu had a terrific year for what's expected of him. Going forward, perhaps his time is reduced to between 10 and 15 minutes a game instead of 19. I didn't realize he averaged 9 pts a game! That's not bad at all.

I love Boris Diaw's game but he really let the team down this year. He's always looked chubby to me but people swear he was out of shape this season. If that's the case, then perhaps his shelf life has expired here.

Danny Green and Patty Mills both had bad years. Danny has starting caliber defense but his offense is very limited. I think he should go to the bench and the Spurs find a more versatile option to start. I'm not sure who that is though. Is Simmons a possibility? He could become a terrific defender if he works on it.

Proxy
05-14-2016, 09:11 PM
The 3rd scoring option was the bigger concern, whether that be TP, Patty, or Green. One of those guys puts together an entire offensive series, and those close games would've been won, series over in 5

TD is the last offensive option of the starting 5, and Manu played floor general all year. If we saw them overextend themselves this series, it was because the younger guys were playing like shit. They weren't the reasons for the elimination.

How do people expect to replace the bbIQ those two give the team? Pau? Who plays floor general for the second unit?

spursistan
05-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Pop coached a terrible series, but from those comments on the bench, major changes are coming on that front..I'm almost sure Diaw/Mills will be gone..this is reminded of his subtle dig at Splitter not being able to say healthy in the exit interviews of last season..

K...
05-14-2016, 09:42 PM
The 3rd scoring option was the bigger concern, whether that be TP, Patty, or Green. One of those guys puts together an entire offensive series, and those close games would've been won, series over in 5

TD is the last offensive option of the starting 5, and Manu played floor general all year. If we saw them overextend themselves this series, it was because the younger guys were playing like shit. They weren't the reasons for the elimination.

How do people expect to replace the bbIQ those two give the team? Pau? Who plays floor general for the second unit?

fat head. 2nd units don't need captains, a coach calling plays will be fine. Manu was a luxury. Unless we get fresh talent in the bench Manu is like holding the keys to a rusted Rolls Royce.

UZER
05-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Pop coached a terrible series, but from those comments on the bench, major changes are coming on that front..I'm almost sure Diaw/Mills will be gone..this is reminded of his subtle dig at Splitter not being able to say healthy in the exit interviews of last season..

I just hope they don't replace old guys with more old guys. Pop loves him some old guys because he's a lazy ass. :lol

K...
05-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Anyone who says "I'd like to see Parker go" is wasting space in this world. WE'd all like to see him not get old but a contract is a contract and he by all accounts is not going to retire. Trades and salary dumps by themselves are totally stupid. Discussing PArker in a legitimate trade (like the Durant scenario) is fine but a blanket statement about parker leaving is a waste of our intelligence.

Chinook is absolutely right, this is a basketball team not a freaking Kobe style retirement package.

You can disagree with Chinook that the Big TOSB two may not be done, but you can't argue with the Big two's actual decision, and the Fact that the PAFTO would be seriously stupid for not taking any better talents in their places.

K...
05-14-2016, 09:48 PM
This off season is a big one. The decision to reload vs rebuild is going to be hotly debated if we continue to slide down the conference charts.

We don't just need talent, but we need talent that matures within two years. Otherwise it's just stalling off the rebuild.

SAGirl
05-14-2016, 10:02 PM
I had forgotten about that, so true and they traded him b4 they knew whether or not LMA would join us. In retrospect, they wanted the cap for LMA, but in his absence another healthy big would have been ok, in that case going after the big fish this offseason, but they could not afford another season of Splitter injuries.

Now your statement also reminds me of an interview where Pop states that one of the things he liked of LMA b4 he got him on the team was: his durability, playing 36-37 minutes for Portland night after night, and him having a huge burden, how he was reliable in that regard: as a guy who would show up all regular season... compare that with Mr. Boris Diaw.

cutewizard
05-14-2016, 10:12 PM
BACK TO BASICS always helps:

1. We need a third offensive force........a stable, consistent, productive offensive force....

2. We need a true PG who can lead the whole team, and match wits with the best PGs of the league.....

3. We need a starting center who can play very good defense and is an excellent rebounder.....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fill up these holes first, and the rest naturally follows.......

cutewizard
05-14-2016, 10:13 PM
fuck that okc series shit, hmmmp

im depressed,

Proxy
05-14-2016, 10:15 PM
fat head. 2nd units don't need captains, a coach calling plays will be fine. Manu was a luxury. Unless we get fresh talent in the bench Manu is like holding the keys to a rusted Rolls Royce.

nah, people don't seem to get how intelligent of a player Manu is.... or how good his anticipation and playmaking still are even at this age. I doubt we see another player that goes about the game the way he does. It's like people see the errant pass and focus on it, and then overlook the hockey assists and leadership he brings. People listen to him and TD. You think LMA acclimates himself this quickly without Timmy?

Not justifying that either isn't old as balls, but people talk about them retiring as if they were the main variable for the team losing, and that's what I disagree with. Where was the 3rd consistent scorer? parker if we're going by payroll, but he did jack shit, played like a 40 year old. Green at least plays great defense.

Kyle's a smart player, but he obviously doesn't have the competitiveness that Manu has. He's more passive, and maybe that changes the more experience he gets, but I doubt it. It seems like a personality trait, not something you can necessarily coach.

TheGoldStandard
05-14-2016, 10:22 PM
BACK TO BASICS always helps:

1. We need a third offensive force........a stable, consistent, productive offensive force....

2. We need a true PG who can lead the whole team, and match wits with the best PGs of the league.....

3. We need a starting center who can play very good defense and is an excellent rebounder.....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fill up these holes first, and the rest naturally follows.......

That third offensive force should come in the form of an athletic PG who can shoot and drive and can match up with PGs defensively. They don't have to be able to be world beaters on defense but at least be able to stay in front of PG's and not get burned or caught in no mans land on switches.

A replacement Center will be a little bit of a chore. Might have to buy out Milutinov's contract or draft a big who will be in the lineup this year or try to go cheap.

KenziE
05-14-2016, 11:44 PM

yep why all the praise why not FUCKIN PLAY him and see how he holds up !!!

tmtcsc
05-14-2016, 11:48 PM
For what they are being paid, I'd like to see both Tim and Manu back. There are roles for them. Hell, Manu was terrific in spots as was Tim. The big difference is who to put on the court with them. They need younger guys to carry the load while they provide the veteran experience. If they go, they go.

The Spurs can almost completely retool at this point. Besides LA and KL, I think everyone should be up for discussion. The biggest move would be ridding the roster of TP and his salary. Perhaps someone would be willing to take him for a couple of young, unproven pieces.

I would love to see the Spurs send TP and Diaw to Portland for CJ McCullom but that is a pipe dream. The Spurs need a 2 guard that can light it up.

DMC
05-15-2016, 12:06 AM

Nice interview by Pop on media availability. Talks about the team, LMA, Andre Miller, etc.

Kawhi: Terrific player, still getting better.
LMA: Pleased with him. He's adapted faster to the team in his first season than anyone else they have ever brought on board.

On the loss: the OKC big men Adams and Kanter were very hard to deal with, they should have won games 2 and 5 which were very close, and a call here or there going their way, or a shot could have turned them in our favor.

On the team constitution moving forward: Performance during the regular season vs. the playoffs? The playoffs weigh very heavily on Pop's decision on who to keep moving forward and what they need to add to the team. He stated the team has historically relied a lot in their bench. When they have won championships they always had more guys in the team and in their bench playing well than the opponent. He mentioned the team this season didn't have the depth to stay in games and that was the reason they lost games 2 and 5 for example.

Tim and Manu: He might have been joking, or exaggerating, but he said whatever they decide is what the team will do. Basically, it's up to them if they want to retire or not and not something that Pop advises them on at this stage.
-----------------------
For us as fans to speculate and consider:
All the guys who underperformed in the playoffs, specially the veterans. Diaw and Patty, D.West? I think one tends to be tougher in evaluating NBA champions and veterans than youngsters and rookies, bc youngsters and rookies do not bring you a championship their first time with the team, but they do need to rebuild the bench, IMO.

What do you guys think?

I think Spurs need to be able to get small and fast, not hybrid small with people like Slowmo and Diaw or West. I like Patty, he was just overwhelmed with the duty to carry the 2nd unit because other guys weren't performing. I'd keep Patty and maybe Simmons, not sure on him just yet. Bonner needs to go, he's doing nothing but sitting and taking up a roster spot. I think Boban needs to go. He's probably cheap, but he won't be for long. Some team will overpay him. I can't see him integrating into the system without a complete overhaul of his mindset. That's something only someone like Phil Jackson could pull off like he did with Shaq when Shaq played like he was about 6" shorter and 60lbs lighter than he was. Once he realized he was unstoppable, he was unstoppable. I don't think Boban could be unstoppable, but I think he could contribute a lot more than he has if he didn't have so many fundamental flaws in his game. Still, he's better than Jeff Errors. Miller and Martin, both need to be gone I think although Martin might be better at PG than I realize, if he gets minutes and training camp. I just haven't seen it elsewhere.

If Tim, Manu, West and Bonner leave, that's a big chunk of the lineup. We're going to have to get real minute guys in, not role guys. We need at least one guy who can get his own shot off the dribble and run the point if needed. I don't know that we need a true PG though. I'd like to see Manu return and run the point.

DMC
05-15-2016, 12:08 AM
For what they are being paid, I'd like to see both Tim and Manu back. Their are roles for them. Hell, Manu was terrific in spots as was Tim. The big difference is who to put on the court with them. They need younger guys to carry the load while they provide the veteran experience. If they go, they go.

The Spurs can almost completely retool at this point. Besides LA and KL, I think everyone should be up for discussion. The biggest move would be ridding the roster of TP and his salary. Perhaps someone would be willing to take him for a couple of young, unproven pieces.

I would love to see the Spurs send TP and Diaw to Portland for McCullough but that is a pipe dream. The Spurs need a 2 guard that can light it up.

Here's the problem with Tim and Manu coming back: You now have a wall you cannot get over. They aren't going to find magic in the playoffs. If anything they'll regress and younger, athletic teams will take advantage of them. If you have them back and sitting the bench, it's useless. We need guys who get better as the season progresses, those two likely get worse. If you're content with just making the playoffs then having them back will benefit us in that regard, but their age means they are basically lithium ion batteries, they run a capacity and then just one day cannot run. It can be at the break or at the playoffs, you just don't know. We don't have guys they can "spell", they'd be the ones needing subs.

I say let them come back if they want to, it's a no brainer, but don't haggle if they want to retire. It would be nice to see them stick around to work with the guys in the training camp and as trainers and coaches. They have Spurs corporate knowledge that is invaluable.

DMC
05-15-2016, 12:13 AM
For what they are being paid, I'd like to see both Tim and Manu back. Their are roles for them. Hell, Manu was terrific in spots as was Tim. The big difference is who to put on the court with them. They need younger guys to carry the load while they provide the veteran experience. If they go, they go.

I would love to see the Spurs send TP and Diaw to Portland for McCullough but that is a pipe dream. The Spurs need a 2 guard that can light it up.

I'd love to get CJ McCollum, but like you said, not going to happen. What team is going to trade ther MiP for our LiP?

ElNono
05-15-2016, 12:14 AM
I suppose this means Bonner is coming back

spursistan
05-15-2016, 12:20 AM
I suppose this means Bonner is coming back
blue font aside, u really think Pop is jettisoning all vets in one fell swoop?

I'm expecting one of Bonner/Miller to stick around if TD/Manu hang'em up..

gambit1990
05-15-2016, 12:38 AM
i'm with everything tmtcsc has had to say in this thread.

i would back bring td & manu without blinking. their player options for next year: less than $9 million combined.

yep why all the praise why not FUCKIN PLAY him and see how he holds up !!!
it's baffling. andre miller even played well for us in the regular season. can dictate the tempo... great court vision...

tmtcsc
05-15-2016, 01:01 AM
I'd love to get CJ McCollum, but like you said, not going to happen. What team is going to trade ther MiP for our LiP?

The only hope would be that Portland considers McCollum a Lillard clone and that the two of them are redundant when on the floor together. Why not get a veteran like TP to come in and move Lillard to the 2 guard spot where he can light it up. They could also add versatility with Diaw coming off the bench. Portland has a nice roster but its a little too young I think. I also like the way Henderson played in the playoffs for them.

gambit1990
05-15-2016, 01:04 AM
speaking of the trailblazers... a small ball line up of kawhi/aminu/la would be nice.

SAGirl
05-15-2016, 02:41 AM
nah, people don't seem to get how intelligent of a player Manu is.... or how good his anticipation and playmaking still are even at this age. I doubt we see another player that goes about the game the way he does. It's like people see the errant pass and focus on it, and then overlook the hockey assists and leadership he brings. People listen to him and TD. You think LMA acclimates himself this quickly without Timmy?

Not justifying that either isn't old as balls, but people talk about them retiring as if they were the main variable for the team losing, and that's what I disagree with. Where was the 3rd consistent scorer? parker if we're going by payroll, but he did jack shit, played like a 40 year old. Green at least plays great defense.

Kyle's a smart player, but he obviously doesn't have the competitiveness that Manu has. He's more passive, and maybe that changes the more experience he gets, but I doubt it. It seems like a personality trait, not something you can necessarily coach.

Manu is a HoF player. We will set ourselves up for disappointment comparing Kyle to him. It's even unfair to compare Kawhi to Tim and the gap between them is closer... so let's avoid that. But, there can be very smart players who need no comparison to Manu, like Boris. Kyle is his own guy, and he's not in his prime, nor anywhere near it. Keep in mind he is 22. He could have been entering the draft just now this summer.

He is competitive and has won a lot of games in his young career but perspective? He was basically a rookie this season, he had to adapt his game to play off the ball, a notable area of weakness for him, and his game was never that of a pure scorer. He was Mr. triple double. He won games by putting out a balanced stat line of 15 pts, 6 assits, 8 rbs, 2 stls a block, the whole package, many plays that don't show in the stat sheet either, while handling the ball for the team and directing teammates, unlike other wings or PF who score off the ball, he was doing his scoring on his own and creating for others. That stat line stayed constant in college, d'league and even summer league (less assists in summer league, and more scoring since not many guys could score there and it seemed Spurs wanted him to get his own).

Anyways, it's remarkable how consistent he can be when allowed to make plays with the ball. He's had high assist games even this season while playing mostly off the ball. What other wings we have with 7 assists in a game in his first full season with the team? I don't think even Kawhi has had 7 assists in a game this season, and Kyle has a lot less opportunities for this kind of output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkDlfMTjr5A

There have been flashes of that kind of game, just not enough consistency, but lets face it, he had an irregular role. The bench revolved around Manu, after him Patty and then Boris or DWest. It wasn't tailored for Kyle, and it didn't ask of him to be that guy. This was not the season for him to be that guy. Let's consider all the time it took for Kawhi to even become that guy for us. We only saw Kyle's real game in garbage time, or in games Pop rested others like the video I posted above. The same thing happened to Kawhi earlier in his career... which is why Kyle produced more with irregular lineups with rookies like Simmons and Boban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec6bbPiPKAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKXtH-vX58

What that tells you is that he's capable of doing more than spotting up in the corner, but when all the veterans were healthy and playing together all he was asked to do was stand in a corner. Kawhi wasn't even scoring that much as a rookie either and when the system wasn't tailored for him and he didn't have the freedom to make plays with the ball on his own, ppl accused him of being passive, inconsistent, etc. So, let's keep in mind that this season wasn't about Kyle. Our fortunes were not supposed to depend on his performance. He was even struggling to get a roster spot to begin with, as you would expect from a youngster in a veteran team. He was basically getting in Pop's dog house for a single mistake early in the season, typical youngster treatment from Pop. At times he appeared to have lost his spot completely and his confidence, then he played a bunch of different lineups with anything from spots 1-4.

He didn't really even get regular playing time until injuries started creeping up on Timmy, Manu, Boris, and Pop started resting guys. I think at some point late in the season Pop realized they needed him to do more than he initially thought bc of the decline, injuries, real issues with the vets that reared in the postseason so Pop pushed him and fed him as many minutes at that point as he could, but it might have been too late. He still has a lot to work to do to improve his game, both his shot, confidence and his strength specially, but its unfair to compare him to Manu and come to the conclusion he doesn't have the BBIQ to be a leader. I think out of all his characteristics that is probably the one that the Spurs value the most, and they sought to develop that in SL and all through the season. He's just really young, playing with a lot of veterans, he's had the luxury to defer to those veterans who have allowed him to grow and develop, the same as they allowed Kawhi to develop. Unlucky for him, and unlike Kawhi, the HoF veterans fell off a cliff while he was in his first season with the team basically. Imagine if that had happened in Kawhi's first season. He would not have been ready to carry a bunch of geriatrics and neither can Kyle. If the entire bench is shitting the bed, he's not going to be able to lift them. He wasn't ready for that, but that doesn't mean he will never be ready.

The HoF players might be at the real end of their careers and they can't carry him or any youngsters anymore. They are now at the point where they need those youngsters to carry them. They certainly needed Kawhi to carry the SL and Kyle and others will have to do more for the bench in the future. That is just the truth. No longer should your bench revolve around Manu, and no longer should the big rotation depend on Tim.

Down Under
05-15-2016, 02:50 AM
No doubt Bertans will be over. Don't think Milutinov is ready. Same with Jean-Charles.

cjw
05-15-2016, 03:23 AM
The Spurs really didnt give Raymac a whole lot of time and they gave away this seasons 2nd round pick.

They can probably go buy a second rounder around where they were picking (59) for around what they paid Jimmer to not play for the team. Pretty meaningless compensation if you ask me.

tholdren
05-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Manu is a HoF player. We will set ourselves up for disappointment comparing Kyle to him. It's even unfair to compare Kawhi to Tim and the gap between them is closer... so let's avoid that. But, there can be very smart players who need no comparison to Manu, like Boris. Kyle is his own guy, and he's not in his prime, nor anywhere near it. Keep in mind he is 22. He could have been entering the draft just now this summer.

He is competitive and has won a lot of games in his young career but perspective? He was basically a rookie this season, he had to adapt his game to play off the ball, a notable area of weakness for him, and his game was never that of a pure scorer. He was Mr. triple double. He won games by putting out a balanced stat line of 15 pts, 6 assits, 8 rbs, 2 stls a block, the whole package, many plays that don't show in the stat sheet either, while handling the ball for the team and directing teammates, unlike other wings or PF who score off the ball, he was doing his scoring on his own and creating for others. That stat line stayed constant in college, d'league and even summer league (less assists in summer league, and more scoring since not many guys could score there and it seemed Spurs wanted him to get his own).

Anyways, it's remarkable how consistent he can be when allowed to make plays with the ball. He's had high assist games even this season while playing mostly off the ball. What other wings we have with 7 assists in a game in his first full season with the team? I don't think even Kawhi has had 7 assists in a game this season, and Kyle has a lot less opportunities for this kind of output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkDlfMTjr5A

There have been flashes of that kind of game, just not enough consistency, but lets face it, he had an irregular role. The bench revolved around Manu, after him Patty and then Boris or DWest. It wasn't tailored for Kyle, and it didn't ask of him to be that guy. This was not the season for him to be that guy. Let's consider all the time it took for Kawhi to even become that guy for us. We only saw Kyle's real game in garbage time, or in games Pop rested others like the video I posted above. The same thing happened to Kawhi earlier in his career... which is why Kyle produced more with irregular lineups with rookies like Simmons and Boban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec6bbPiPKAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKXtH-vX58

What that tells you is that he's capable of doing more than spotting up in the corner, but when all the veterans were healthy and playing together all he was asked to do was stand in a corner. Kawhi wasn't even scoring that much as a rookie either and when the system wasn't tailored for him and he didn't have the freedom to make plays with the ball on his own, ppl accused him of being passive, inconsistent, etc. So, let's keep in mind that this season wasn't about Kyle. Our fortunes were not supposed to depend on his performance. He was even struggling to get a roster spot to begin with, as you would expect from a youngster in a veteran team. He was basically getting in Pop's dog house for a single mistake early in the season, typical youngster treatment from Pop. At times he appeared to have lost his spot completely and his confidence, then he played a bunch of different lineups with anything from spots 1-4.

He didn't really even get regular playing time until injuries started creeping up on Timmy, Manu, Boris, and Pop started resting guys. I think at some point late in the season Pop realized they needed him to do more than he initially thought bc of the decline, injuries, real issues with the vets that reared in the postseason so Pop pushed him and fed him as many minutes at that point as he could, but it might have been too late. He still has a lot to work to do to improve his game, both his shot, confidence and his strength specially, but its unfair to compare him to Manu and come to the conclusion he doesn't have the BBIQ to be a leader. I think out of all his characteristics that is probably the one that the Spurs value the most, and they sought to develop that in SL and all through the season. He's just really young, playing with a lot of veterans, he's had the luxury to defer to those veterans who have allowed him to grow and develop, the same as they allowed Kawhi to develop. Unlucky for him, and unlike Kawhi, the HoF veterans fell off a cliff while he was in his first season with the team basically. Imagine if that had happened in Kawhi's first season. He would not have been ready to carry a bunch of geriatrics and neither can Kyle. If the entire bench is shitting the bed, he's not going to be able to lift them. He wasn't ready for that, but that doesn't mean he will never be ready.

The HoF players might be at the real end of their careers and they can't carry him or any youngsters anymore. They are now at the point where they need those youngsters to carry them. They certainly needed Kawhi to carry the SL and Kyle and others will have to do more for the bench in the future. That is just the truth. No longer should your bench revolve around Manu, and no longer should the big rotation depend on Tim.
You're a retard

K...
05-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Boom there it is....the definitive Kyle Anderson argument.

I don't think many people here underestimate Duncan and Manu's value,

I think we differ in what the decision is going to be like. We don't know what the stakes are until actual moves are made. Will there be a point where keeping manu and duncan impedes our ability to find and sign good players?

Imagine a choice....use 10m to resign the big Two (and vet min the rest), or spend 10m on new players? Which is the better choice?

kobyz
05-15-2016, 09:52 AM
It's so frustrated and dissepointed that for the second year in a row the season run out for us like nothing, like we wasting playoff advance and title oportonity so easily, as if we geeting over whelmed come pressure time causing us not to give our best shot at all... Someone need to put his finger on that mental problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMC
05-15-2016, 11:07 AM
The only hope would be that Portland considers McCollum a Lillard clone and that the two of them are redundant when on the floor together. Why not get a veteran like TP to come in and move Lillard to the 2 guard spot where he can light it up. They could also add versatility with Diaw coming off the bench. Portland has a nice roster but its a little too young I think. I also like the way Henderson played in the playoffs for them.

Spurs won't trade Tony. There's no reason to suggest it. CJ is now a hot commodity, he's not leaving there and not coming here if he did.

tmtcsc
05-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Spurs won't trade Tony. There's no reason to suggest it. CJ is now a hot commodity, he's not leaving there and not coming here if he did.

If the Spurs find a trade partner, I believe they will move him. I certainly hope so. They definitely need a guard that can drive and get to the rim. It's not Tony anymore and it was never Green. Manu was once relentless and awesome at making defenses collapse.

There's no time for sentimentality when it comes to TP and I think the front office knows it.

DMC
05-15-2016, 11:20 AM
If the Spurs cannot use TP at the 1, certainly no other team can. Spurs rely less on iso ball than any team in the league, historically, so the fact Tony cannot get to the cup as well these days shouldn't make anyone else think he'd be a good fit on their team, because he's not a good passer either. What Tony has is a very robotic understanding of the Spurs system. That would be the main selling point for moving Tony, but the Spurs won't do it because he's part of the big 3 and they'll let him play out there like Austin Rivers until he retires.

TheGoldStandard
05-15-2016, 11:22 AM
If the Spurs find a trade partner, I believe they will move him. I certainly hope so. They definitely need a guard that can drive and get to the rim. It's not Tony anymore and it was never Green. Manu was once relentless and awesome at making defenses collapse.

There's no time for sentimentality when it comes to TP and I think the front office knows it.

I really don't see any team in the league want to absorb 30 million for a guy who'll be a liability, equally if you do you'll have to take back a contract I'm sure to make the money work.

It's a shame you can't trade a player to a euro league for cap space or some of their talent.

tmtcsc
05-15-2016, 11:26 AM
I really don't see any team in the league want to absorb 30 million for a guy who'll be a liability, equally if you do you'll have to take back a contract I'm sure to make the money work.

It's a shame you can't trade a player to a euro league for cap space or some of their talent.

Does the amnesty rule still exist? Can you drop a player like the Mavs did with Michael Finley to clear cap space?

-21-
05-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Imagine a choice....use 10m to resign the big Two (and vet min the rest), or spend 10m on new players? Which is the better choice?

That obviously largely depends on who the 'new players' are.

J_Paco
05-15-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't know who's more eager to see them go, SAGirl or you. You're both practically giddy at the prospect.

Let's see what their "giddiness" looks like when the team doesn't sniff a WCF or NBA Finals for the next 10 or 15 years once the "Big 3" is gone. Cause those rebuilds in Utah, New York, Houston, Chicago, Portland, etc. have netted so much championship success.

It took Golden State 40 years to return to the championship stage since the days of Rick Barry and before him, Wilt Chamberlain. The Washington Wizards/Bullets (my local team) haven't found the championship formula since 1978, almost 40 years ago. And this town is bigger, the ownership group has deeper pockets and more players would find it "desirable" than most NBA cities. Yet, here they are with only one NBA championship to their name.

Nothing is guaranteed in sports, so appreciate these all-timers for as long as possible. After they leave the team may never, ever see this level of success- or any - again.

dunkman
05-15-2016, 01:17 PM
The Spurs have to fill some holes in the roster, also move the ball around, avoid isolation plays vs OKC.

dbestpro
05-15-2016, 02:05 PM
Perhaps Pop just chose to use the wrong bench players. Hard to fault those who did not see many minutes.

tholdren
05-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Chinook's absolutely right here, from a business and operational standpoint.

SA Girl is just some dude who wants Kyle Anderson to be good because he said he would be good. He's not. SA girl is a shitty poster, while Chinook brings good takes to the forum.

ElNono
05-15-2016, 02:44 PM

depends on who the "new players" are...

ElNono
05-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Chinook's absolutely right here, from a business and operational standpoint.

Actually, from a business standpoint, I'm not so sure the Spurs would want the big 3 going away, especially Manu, even though he's pretty much done.

Business-wise, it's probably a better deal for the team to ride with the big 3 one more season. It's a bigger gamble once they're gone and there's a degree of uncertainty.

BackHome
05-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Well we are pretty sure Manu is gone the only reason he came back is because they asked him and they picked up LMA. He gave it a try but he had nothing left in his tank love the guy but it's time to hopefully get into the front office (head of foreign talent evaluation). I really think that if Timmy walks either Parker will ask for a trade and be given one or we just trade him if we can.

Pop will be honest - No Manu you don't have it anymore - Tony - were moving you to second string -Timmy - Front office/coach position/stay as a player? - Timmy can get what ever the hell he wants!!

Stabula
05-15-2016, 06:01 PM

Fuck off apalisoc you're a faggot through and through no matter which alt you use. By the way spending time everyday posting with multiple alts on a Spurs fandom site is absolutely pathetic.

Sean Cagney
05-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Well we are pretty sure Manu is gone the only reason he came back is because they asked him and they picked up LMA. He gave it a try but he had nothing left in his tank love the guy but it's time to hopefully get into the front office (head of foreign talent evaluation). I really think that if Timmy walks either Parker will ask for a trade and be given one or we just trade him if we can.

What realistically are you going to get for Parker at this point in his career and why would he ask for a trade from the Spurs? I think he wants to retire a Spur. His contract is really high too, who would take that for his production? I am guessing nobody.

SpursDynasty
05-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Andre Miller was the birth of the current Spurs as know them, in February 2002.

TXstbobcat
05-15-2016, 11:37 PM
What realistically are you going to get for Parker at this point in his career and why would he ask for a trade from the Spurs? I think he wants to retire a Spur. His contract is really high too, who would take that for his production? I am guessing nobody.

Unless the Spurs throw in a 1st round pick, nobody will want to take on the remaining 30 million on Parkers contract

Ice009
05-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Belinelli was one of my favorites, always came in and hit big shots. Wouldn't mind seeing him back.

He was actually great on the offensive end, especially just showing the balls to take and make shots on that end of the floor. I was impressed with his play on the offensive end of the court in the Clippers series last year. He really showed some toughness out there. Great attitude shooting the ball. Not scared at all, which I love (reminded me of Stephen Jackson in that regard). I wanted him gone because of his porous defense though. Not sure if I made a mistake with that after seeing how bad the team was at shooting the ball this season from deep.

AFMadison
05-16-2016, 12:43 AM
He was actually great on the offensive end, especially just showing the balls to take and make shots on that end of the floor. I was impressed with his play on the offensive end of the court in the Clippers series last year. He really showed some toughness out there. Great attitude shooting the ball. Not scared at all, which I love (reminded me of Stephen Jackson in that regard). I wanted him gone because of his porous defense though. Not sure if I made a mistake with that after seeing how bad the team was at shooting the ball this season from deep.
I never wanted him gone, a lot of people rode the "he has terrible defense" shtick for awhile but I thought it was definitely worth it. His offensive IQ outweighed his poor defense imo

Russo21
05-16-2016, 02:05 AM
Total leg and back transplants for Tim and Manu, inject them with some Tiger blood to regain their youth. Win Championship :)

Snaq O'Meal
05-16-2016, 02:16 AM
Total leg and back transplants for Tim and Manu, inject them with some Tiger blood to regain their youth. Win Championship :)

Tiger isn't doing too well on the golf courses these days. If Tim and Manu have his blood, anything courtside with blonde hair and tits will quickly make them lose focus.

MVPCues
05-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Tiger isn't doing too well on the golf courses these days. If Tim and Manu have his blood, anything courtside with blonde hair and tits will quickly make them lose focus.

Then they would be as good as Parker then, and the big 3 could play another few years together!

Gervin44Silas13
05-16-2016, 08:54 AM

I agree big changes are coming I think Tim and Manu ride off....
I just hope we don't become the 1990s Spurs...

lmbebo
05-16-2016, 09:46 AM
I think the spurs will start to begin to build around Kwahi and LMA more. Last years team was kind of a mold of the team that teh Spurs had become the past few years. Start to continue to mold the team to the 2 new leaders.

daslicer
05-16-2016, 09:57 AM
I remember in '01 the Spurs tried to give it one more chance to win a championship with the 90's core of Drob,Elliott,Johnson but after getting swept by Lakers got rid of AJ and Elliott. This situation is very similar. High chance Manu and Duncan are gone but Parker will be here for 2 more years.

Brazil
05-16-2016, 10:24 AM
All the guys who underperformed in the playoffs, specially the veterans. Diaw and Patty, D.West?

:lol OP is gold tbh...

MultiTroll
05-16-2016, 10:57 AM
What do you guys think?
Miller is not a natural leader on the bench tho.
As if he did not know Miller was 39 when the Spurs acquired him.

Popped trying to be cutsie, deflecting attention from his idiotic decision to bench Miller virtually the entire playoffs.

Russo21
05-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Tiger isn't doing too well on the golf courses these days. If Tim and Manu have his blood, anything courtside with blonde hair and tits will quickly make them lose focus. haha no I meant Tiger blood as in Jungle Cats the Beasts of the Wild to give them the heart of a Tiger. I certainly didn't mean Eldrick Woods lol.

SAGirl
05-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Miller is not a natural leader on the bench tho.
As if he did not know Miller was 39 when the Spurs acquired him.

Popped trying to be cutsie, deflecting attention from his idiotic decision to bench Miller virtually the entire playoffs.
The fact he's 40 doesn't make him realistic for anything but 3rd PG at this stage but Pop liked Miller a lot obviously. Miller could be retiring anyways. Pop's statement he wishes Miller was younger IMO is a reflection that an ideal PG candidate at this stage needs to be younger.

YGWHI
05-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Just amazing, you can't find a word about his coaching.

Apparently, Pop never makes mistakes.

MultiTroll
05-16-2016, 01:30 PM
The fact he's 40 doesn't make him realistic for anything but 3rd PG at this stage but Pop liked Miller a lot obviously. Miller could be retiring anyways. Pop's statement he wishes Miller was younger IMO is a reflection that an ideal PG candidate at this stage needs to be younger.
Miller looked fine to me in what little playoff time he got.
Not only on offense but defense.
Can't help but wonder how it would have gone had he gotten some more time.

It's like the whole TEAM spirit thing reverted to Pops Pets.

SAGirl
05-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Just amazing, you can't find a word about his coaching.

Apparently, Pop never makes mistakes.
Ehhh, we may disagree and I respect you but he played the veterans he relied on to bring him 67 wins. Manu and TD having precipitous declines in the middle of the series was more significant than anything else to me. He's relied on those guys and their competitive desire can't be denied. TD was terrible offensively except the last game, which might be considered a retirement game a la Kobe. And much has been said about the bench, you can question the decision to play each guy but Martin was terrible and a worse option than Anderson, Simmons has fallen out of the rotation, Manu never got rolling like he can. This team was 2 guys and that's it. Bogan has been a negative when subbed bc he's too deficient defensively. Personally, I don't think anyone he didn't play would have swung this around. I could agree with you that maybe a timeout here or there might have helped, but that's the thing, might. We just had too many guys don't show up. Definitely our team proved to be too old. There are stats that prove historically, teams that relied for the majority of their roster to this extent on very old players don't win championships.

Off to FA to get a couple of younger guys and Pop to coach youngsters hoping for development.

We weren't wining in the next round either. We actually might have been spared a humiliation in the next round. At least the OKC series was competitive.

San Antonio Slayer
05-16-2016, 02:33 PM
We need a good rebounder and moderate scorer to replace Duncan at center. Howard or Gasol Sr will be ok. Parker will look fine to replace Manu from the bench.Simmons, Anderson, Parker, West can be a very good second squad. Question with their big man. If Boban's knees are ok then no need to release him. Is it time to trade Diaw and Mills?

YGWHI
05-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Ehhh, we may disagree and I respect you but he played the veterans he relied on to bring him 67 wins.
If a coach sacrifices depth in the offseason like he did last summer, he should know he should play his stars more minutes in playoffs to compensate for the lack of good performances from the role players/bench.

And a called-play can change the whole game in the 4th.

Or last playoffs being too reliant on Parker over Mills...Or couldn't solve the double-high-screens-Clips issue...Or his game-late decisions...

Anyway, I don't want to say the same things over and over again.

I just find it "amazing" after every playoffs elimination he never made a comment about his own coaching.

SAGirl
05-16-2016, 03:14 PM
If a coach sacrifices depth in the offseason like he did last summer, he should know he should play his stars more minutes in playoffs to compensate for the lack of good performances from the role players/bench.

And a called-play can change the whole game in the 4th.

Or last playoffs being too reliant on Parker over Mills...Or couldn't solve the double-high-screens-Clips issue...Or his game-late decisions...

Anyway, I don't want to say the same things over and over again.

I just find it "amazing" after every playoffs elimination he never made a comment about his own coaching.
Yeah this has been discussed elsewhere. There are thing here or there that might have been tweaked but when you don't have role players show up its uphill. Its like the missed calls that didn't go our way etc. Pop said games 2 and 5 at home were gettable and considering the lack of depth those two games were the ones they needed. Definitely 50/50 balls bad officiating and a questionable decision like Mills 3 having been so off, Mills chucking in the 4th Q that game 2... etc, sure there were a few things...

Just to me Tim, Manu not showing up was a huge blow, even that game 2 Timmy missing layups , he was 1/8. That very unusual and it was TOSB level. There were too many deficiencies in the roster to overcome so I feel very much at peace with the outcome, definitely not as angry as others.

Ultimately, I think that also an end like this was needed to make necessary tweaks to the roster. Even now ain am afraid they run the majority of this group right back when I know that is not going to get it done, not even close and next season there will be not be 67 wins with the same old group. We need to get younger . It's time to move on.

tholdren
05-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Yeah this has been discussed elsewhere. There are thing here or there that might have been tweaked but when you don't have role players show up its uphill. Its like the missed calls that didn't go our way etc. Pop said games 2 and 5 at home were gettable and considering the lack of depth those two games were the ones they needed. Definitely 50/50 balls bad officiating and a questionable decision like Mills 3 having been so off, Mills chucking in the 4th Q that game 2... etc, sure there were a few things...

Just to me Tim, Manu not showing up was a huge blow, even that game 2 Timmy missing layups , he was 1/8. That very unusual and it was TOSB level. There were too many deficiencies in the roster to overcome so I feel very much at peace with the outcome, definitely not as angry as others.

Ultimately, I think that also an end like this was needed to make necessary tweaks to the roster. Even now ain am afraid they run the majority of this group right back when I know that is not going to get it done, not even close and next season there will be not be 67 wins with the same old group. We need to get younger . It's time to move on.
ultimately pop thought anderson would be worth some minutes. He was wrong. Anderson's lack of production killed SA for the minutes he got. Your whole trolling was eliminated in one sweet playoff run by kyle anderson

FireMicoHalili
05-16-2016, 09:36 PM
If ever the Spurs played Golden State, Kawhi, Danny, and Tony would have to take turns guarding Curry, Thompson, and Barnes. Logic dictates the Spurs are going to hide Parker on Barnes, but Barnes has turned into a solid offensive option, and Parker is clearly a defensive mismatch against any of those three. My ideal sitch is that the Spurs somehow luck out in the draft and get a solid PG who can learn the ropes easily like Parker did under Avery Johnson. If Parker really were the ultimate teammate, he'd accept limited minutes or even come off the bench.

Diaw/West frontcourt hurt the Spurs. I sensed Pop was playing them because he's all they had. Boban was still learning the ropes. It's easy to say we need a tall and athletic big man, and the Spurs are meticulous with the free agent market. These tall athletic big men rarely have the IQ to thrive in the Spurs system.

Kyle Anderson was solid in the regular season, but nothing spectacular. Durant cooked him every time Leonard subbed out. Good for a 12th man, but someone who can plug in for Leonard on defense would be ideal. Simmons still needs to figure out the game.

No idea what happened to Danny and Patty in the regular season and the playoffs, respectively. Defense was still there, but Patty seemed like he lost his mojo. Danny's stroke found itself in the playoffs, so that's swell.

i hope Martin, Miller, and/or West stick around. They've had just one year under the system, which takes at least two to three years to get used to.

Duncan and Manu might have to accept bench roles. Duncan at reserve C won't be a bad option. Manu at 12th man isn't bad.

Need new C and PG in the starting five, a taller and athletic big man and a 3DA in the bench. Everything else the Spurs can just plug in with pieces from last season.