PDA

View Full Version : Spurs need another perimeter defender.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-16-2016, 11:52 PM
Kawhi can't guard a top 5 wing scorer of all time then be the focal point of the offense. Not even Jordan had to guard monsters like Durant and Westbrook for a whole series

lefty
05-16-2016, 11:53 PM
They also need a top PG imo

Hoops Czar
05-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Kawhi can't guard a top 5 wing scorer of all time then be the focal point of the offense. Not even Jordan had to guard monsters like Durant and Westbrook for a whole series

I thought that's why they have Green.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-16-2016, 11:59 PM
I thought that's why they have Green.

Still gonna make Kawhi guard the other star he isn't on.

Keepin' it real
05-17-2016, 12:00 AM
Spurs need a perimeter slasher and scorer.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 12:01 AM
That perimeter defender probably needs t o play the PG spot

TheGreatYacht
05-17-2016, 12:03 AM
We had PG, but then we traded him for Kawhi

apalisoc_9
05-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Def would boost the spurs. Not sure if its as important as a rollman or slasher though. Maybe we can get both. :lol

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Wes Johnson is the best perimeter defender on the market and won't cost a lot.

Wouldn't mind him as a cheap acquistion.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Matt Barnes?

TheGreatYacht
05-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Matt Barnes?
/thread

05-17-2016, 12:33 AM
Kawhi/Danny are fine defensively. We just need a non liability at the PG spot.

:depressed: Cojo

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 12:36 AM
Matt Barnes?
On the soon to be washed up ToSb lists no.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 12:38 AM
Kawhi/Danny are fine defensively. We just need a non liability at the PG spot.

:depressed: Cojo
+ 1 that perimeter defender needs to be a PG so he can play with the SL, which is where Kawhi has the need.

Nbadan
05-17-2016, 12:44 AM
+ 1 that perimeter defender needs to be a PG so he can play with the SL, which is where Kawhi has the need.

.....great posts SAGirl.....a quicker, younger PG could also help transition the Spurs away from playing hero ball with LA and Kawhi

SD126
05-17-2016, 01:00 AM
KL/Green certainly not enough. Another one, preferably 2 (one of them a PG) would help.

TheGreatYacht
05-17-2016, 01:00 AM
Spurs need a backup SF.

Nbadan
05-17-2016, 01:07 AM
I see Rondo poking his ugly mug out there.....should POP just look away?

tmtcsc
05-17-2016, 01:12 AM
Hero ball sucks and needs to go away.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 01:25 AM
I see Rondo poking his ugly mug out there.....should POP just look away?
Intelligent player, vet, good defender and an athlete. If they wanted to run a faster paced system hed be nice but... if they want to continue with I so heavy offense then no, bc he doesn't space the floor and is less reliable than Tony scoring/shooting plus hack a rondo? He only has a system he can thrice in and that requires shooters around him and him with the ball or we have ourselves Mavs-Rockets 2015 part deux.

rasuo214
05-17-2016, 01:57 AM
A perimeter defender that can handle the ball better than Danny would be nice. It would allow for more SL flexibility when needed. Better than having to rely on a slow Kyle Anderson or old Manu.

apalisoc_9
05-17-2016, 02:00 AM
Intelligent player, vet, good defender and an athlete. If they wanted to run a faster paced system hed be nice but... if they want to continue with I so heavy offense then no, bc he doesn't space the floor and is less reliable than Tony scoring/shooting plus hack a rondo? He only has a system he can thrice in and that requires shooters around him and him with the ball or we have ourselves Mavs-Rockets 2015 part deux.

Wtf am I reading? Rondo a good defender and inteliggent player :lol

pookenstein
05-17-2016, 02:10 AM
I would prefer a player who takes some of the scoring load from Kawhi. Leonard is the best defender in the league so why would you want him to not play against the opponentst best guy? I'd love to continue seeing him play 100% D every game and not having to put up 25points per game. 20ppg and ~16 from a scoring PG would be great IMO.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Wtf am I reading? Rondo a good defender and inteliggent player :lol
He's a good defender when he wants to be. Has the physical tools to do so but hasn't had the desire recently. He is a smart player, just he's ball dominant and his game is limited bc he can't shoot.

rasuo214
05-17-2016, 02:15 AM
I would prefer a player who takes some of the scoring load from Kawhi. Leonard is the best defender in the league so why would you want him to not play against the opponentst best guy? I'd love to continue seeing him play 100% D every game and not having to put up 25points per game. 20ppg and ~16 from a scoring PG would be great IMO.

Because it would allow him to play the 4 or even a 5 in a small ball lineup without having to worry about a defensive mismatch. For example the Warriors, the Spurs could put Danny + other perimeter defender on Steph and Klay and Kawhi on Draymond. It just provides more flexibility for the team.

Someone like Deng or Barnes would be nice to have.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 02:20 AM
A perimeter defender that can handle the ball better than Danny would be nice. It would allow for more SL flexibility when needed. Better than having to rely on a slow Kyle Anderson or old Manu.
If Manu is.coming back your wish will not be granted. Kyle had good defensive metrics in the team. He's a smart team defended and did as well as you would have expected in the playoffs. You will not get someone better for what he's paid. Simmons could improve next season, remains to be seen. We are getting Bertans probably as well. That taps out all possible wing spots in the roster, unless like I said Manu retires or the Spurs decide not to pick up Simmons option (I think they do bc he's cheap and despite his age still showed upside, worth a look see to see if he's better in his second season with the team.

Edit: this is also why I think a PG who had defensive acumen might be a better option at times.

Chinook
05-17-2016, 02:27 AM
Probably going to be LJC.

Lerojo
05-17-2016, 02:30 AM
Need a rebounder or two cover for Timmy and when Aldridge goes missing.

GSH
05-17-2016, 03:54 AM
Evan Turner - and let Chip teach him to shoot the 3.

Take a big chunk of the cash the Spurs were supposedly going to throw at Durant (who won't come here), and throw it at Hasan Whiteside. Then hire Bonner to wear a suit and teach him how to read and stuff.

timtonymanu
05-17-2016, 05:17 AM
Hero ball sucks and needs to go away.

tmtcsc
05-17-2016, 08:33 AM

Take a big chunk of the cash the Spurs were supposedly going to throw at Durant (who won't come here), and throw it at Hasan Whiteside. Then hire Bonner to wear a suit and teach him how to read and stuff.

:lmao

Chinook
05-17-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't think Spurs fans realize how lucky their team is to have two elite perimeter defenders. Most teams can't say anything like that. GS is the only one who comes close. It would be great for the Spurs to grab another, but it's hardly something they need. They need someone who can score to make the offense easier for everyone.

As mentioned above, though, Livio is about the best the team can hope for. He is a really good off-ball defender, but he can also guard on the perimeter. While I don't think he's a guy you put on Thompson or Curry, he can definitely get minutes on Draymond, and he can probably guard Durant at least as well as Anderson can.

ernest787
05-17-2016, 08:56 AM
yeah another defender isn't a need. The Spurs were just a historically great defense team in the regular season.

They need offense. Tony is too inconsistent on the offensive end now days. They also need someone who can or is willing to attack the basket that isn't named Kawhi. I think some more shooting would be helpful too.

ceperez
05-17-2016, 09:07 AM
yeah another defender isn't a need. The Spurs were just a historically great defense team in the regular season.

They need offense. Tony is too inconsistent on the offensive end now days. They also need someone who can or is willing to attack the basket that isn't named Kawhi. I think some more shooting would be helpful too.

It is a big problem if Spurs need to rely on Kawhi for offense. He's not a natural offensive talent, most of his moves are robotic. Well, who knows how much he'll improve in the off season!

bklynspursfan
05-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Spurs need a backup SF.

Yea, this has been sort of a hole the last few years.

kaji157
05-17-2016, 09:38 AM

They need a leader.

look_at_g_shred
05-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Not really, I'd take someone you know can give 10-15 points every night and is ok at defending. Defense wasn't the problem this year. Why does no one see that?

Chinook
05-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Not really, I'd take someone you know can give 10-15 points every night and is ok at defending. Defense wasn't the problem this year. Why does no one see that?

I'd say that everyone but the OP sees it. The closest most Spurs fans are coming to arguing for defense is finding Duncan's replacement.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
I don't think Spurs fans realize how lucky their team is to have two elite perimeter defenders. Most teams can't say anything like that. GS is the only one who comes close. It would be great for the Spurs to grab another, but it's hardly something they need. They need someone who can score to make the offense easier for everyone.

As mentioned above, though, Livio is about the best the team can hope for. He is a really good off-ball defender, but he can also guard on the perimeter. While I don't think he's a guy you put on Thompson or Curry, he can definitely get minutes on Draymond, and he can probably guard Durant at least as well as Anderson can.

Livio is so far away from becoming a NBA player. His defense is about there, but his offense is not even on NBA D League level.

TheDoctor
05-17-2016, 10:40 AM

And a Top C. Actually, they need USA Basketball's SL.

Chinook
05-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Livio is so far away from becoming a NBA player. His defense is about there, but his offense is not even on NBA D League level.

That doesn't matter for situational players. We saw guys like Roberson become starters almost from day one based on defense.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 10:48 AM
That doesn't matter for situational players. We saw guys like Roberson become starters almost from day one based on defense.

Sure it matters. Livio isn't an NBA player. That's why Spurs didn't bring him over last year. Not much has changed from his development over the past 300 days either.

Pauleta14
05-17-2016, 10:51 AM
... And a PG... and a Center...and a Coach...

Chinook
05-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Sure it matters. Livio isn't an NBA player. That's why Spurs didn't bring him over last year. Not much has changed from his development over the past 300 days either.

The Spurs didn't bring LJC over because he didn't want to get brought over. If they don't do it this year, it will be for the same reason. Even if that had been the case, the Spurs haven't gotten good returns from doing stashing guys who weren't already great players. They need to change their attitude and start actually developing their guys again.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 11:02 AM
The Spurs didn't bring LJC over because he didn't want to get brought over. If they don't do it this year, it will be for the same reason. Even if that had been the case, the Spurs haven't gotten good returns from doing stashing guys who weren't already great players. They need to change their attitude and start actually developing their guys again.

I think Spurs are one of the best teams at developing their own players -- even ones they draft and stash away. They fly them in every chance they get during the season and during the summer and put them through various work outs. Livio and Hanga are below average prospects. I don't see any of the two wearing a Spurs jersey in the near future. I thought Livio was progressing up until he tore his ACL, after his return from that it was evident regression was there and his confidence took a hit.

Bertans and Milutinov, on the other hand, have a great chance because they are simply better players and prospects.

ceperez
05-17-2016, 11:09 AM

The guy is already 22 and he is barely improving his game. He's got the athletic talent, but I think some guys just become too comfortable and complacent.

The guys who really do well are the guys who have the drive and grit to keep working on their game. LJC may just not be that person..

Chinook
05-17-2016, 11:18 AM
I think Spurs are one of the best teams at developing their own players -- even ones they draft and stash away. They fly them in every chance they get during the season and during the summer and put them through various work outs. Livio and Hanga are below average prospects. I don't see any of the two wearing a Spurs jersey in the near future. I thought Livio was progressing up until he tore his ACL, after his return from that it was evident regression was there and his confidence took a hit.

Bertans and Milutinov, on the other hand, have a great chance because they are simply better players and prospects.

You say all that, but who have developed overseas? I can't think of one. Splitter was a guy like Mirotic who was already a good player who dropped because he didn't want to come over (something about his sister). Manu was too long ago. You have a whole sea of players who didn't develop other than that. They might put in effort, but they don't get returns.

Chinook
05-17-2016, 11:19 AM
The guy is already 22 and he is barely improving his game. He's got the athletic talent, but I think some guys just become too comfortable and complacent.

The guys who really do well are the guys who have the drive and grit to keep working on their game. LJC may just not be that person..

I mean, he's gotten better. But he's really lost a lot of time to injury. And I don't think Asvel is doing a good job developing him, since that's not their priority.

elemento
05-17-2016, 11:27 AM
SA needs a 7 footer that can rebound and anchor the defense tbh

Neurosis
05-17-2016, 11:32 AM
We have bigger problems than our Perimeter D. Our big rotation features the corpse of Timmy, Aldridge, West & Diaw. Aldridge is the only guy who can actually hustle and compete against other good rebounders. Not doubting Timmy's greatness, father time catches up with everyone eventually. West/Diaw don't have the size/athleticism to compete with other legit rebounders.

Our depth and production in our guard rotation is abysmal. Green, Parker, Manu, Mills. Two of those players are over 34 and the two that aren't, can't play as primary ball-handlers. Our offense is being run by corpses and we have basically ZERO athleticism in our guards.

If we're building around Kawhi/Aldridge/Green then the pieces around them need to achieve three things: Spacing, Rebounding, Ball-Handling. The rest will work itself out. Our offense stagnates so badly against tough defenses because we're lacking in those departments. Bad spacing, low second-chance points and lack of players who can create for others = incredibly streaky offense. We live and die by Iso basketball because as ugly as it is: it's still our best option at this point. The problem is we don't have OTHER options, so when the Isolation game isn't clicking, we turn to absolute garbage.

There's only 2 things we need to do this off-season:

1. Get a legitimate center
2. Upgrade our guard rotation

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 11:50 AM
I mean, he's gotten better. But he's really lost a lot of time to injury. And I don't think Asvel is doing a good job developing him, since that's not their priority.

I don't agree with this notion at all.

It's not on the team to develop him, it's on LJC to develop LJC -- the hardwork and time he's willing to put in when no one is watching. Spurs have gone above and beyond giving him the instructions and blueprint to becoming a better player. They've flown him in multiple times a year since he's been drafted, worked him out, given him a plan on action to improve. Teams can only do so much, it's up to the players to go above and beyond with their work ethic to keep improving.

For example, when Kawhi first was drafted and had a few workouts with the Spurs before the lock-out happened, Chip gave him a plan to improve his jumper -- over the next 3 months during the lock-out Leonard came back a much improved shooter. Why is that? Because Kawhi worked his ass off.

Without Hustle, a plan doesn't mean anything and without a plan, hustle doesn't mean anything. Both components are equally important in all aspects life and success. And so far it doesn't look like LJC has the hustle. Has nothing to do with Asvel. Spurs actually keep close tabs with J.D Jackson and the coaching staff because Parker is the owner.

Chinook
05-17-2016, 11:52 AM
I don't agree with this notion at all.

It's not on the team to develop him, it's on LJC to develop LJC --

No, it's on the team. They have a staff for that very reason. I think just assuming Jean-Charles is lazy is a terrible line of reasoning. Asvel wants to win games, so they aren't going to care about developing a guy who's going to leave them. But the Spurs are looking to get returns out of their investments, and they have no track record of success in developing a guy overseas.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 11:56 AM
No, it's on the team. They have a staff for that very reason. I think just assuming Jean-Charles is lazy is a terrible line of reasoning. Asvel wants to win games, so they aren't going to care about developing a guy who's going to leave them. But the Spurs are looking to get returns out of their investments, and they have no track record of success in developing a guy overseas.

I couldn't disagree more.

Plus, players don't develop in the games-- that's absurd. The development happens in the summers, and time off the court in practices and in practices when no one is watching. That's when players can work on their weaknesses and improve. They can't work on things in games.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 11:59 AM

I'm not assuming. One thing I live my life by is in the long run, actions and time never lies. If he doesn't turn into an NBA player it won't be because of Asvel, it will be because Jean-Charles never got good enough or never worked hard enough. It's really that simple. And so far, he's been disappointing.

Chinook
05-17-2016, 11:59 AM
I couldn't disagree more.

Plus, players don't develop in the games-- that's absurd. The development happens in the summers, and time off the court in practices and in practices when no one is watching. That's when players can work on their weaknesses and improve. They can't work on things in games.

Of course players develop in games. That's why the d-league exists. Do they JUST develop in games? No. But it's clear that LJC isn't going to get better in France. And what you keep ignoring is that he would just be the next in a long line of players who haven't improved overseas. Bertans hasn't even really improved since he was drafted, and he's their best chance for a success story. They haven't just drafted a bunch of lazy players.

Chinook
05-17-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm not assuming. One thing I live my life by is in the long run, actions and time never lies. If he doesn't turn into an NBA player it won't be because of Asvel, it will be because Jean-Charles never got good enough or never worked hard enough. It's really that simple. And so far, he's been disappointing.

Yes, you're assuming. LJC is obviously not lazy, or else he would never have recovered from his injuries. But as we all saw in the summer league, he's even more mobile than he was when he was drafted. And again, he's gotten better. I really don't know what you have been looking at to assume otherwise. But no one in recent Spurs history except maybe Green has made themselves into an NBA player on their own.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 12:09 PM
This I think this is our #1 need, after that depth for the bench, then the PG spot. I am a bit pessimistic on the PG. I tend to think Pop stays pat with Tony and Patty bc both are Pop favorites. If Tim/Manu retire Pop will want Tony for continuity and leadership, specially if we get rookies in (Bertans and this season's draft pick + anyone else from the foreign stashes or a new project). We would have more young players than we have had in recent seasons and too many new players in the system all at once a Pop nightmare, no way dies he want to combine that with breaking in a new PG. We could pick up a more defensive minded PG in the draft to give different looks.

I would bring LJC over but he notably didn't want to go the dleague route and preferred to stay in Asvel. He doesn't seem hell bent on coming over, unlike Bertans, whose agent has been making a fuss about him.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Of course players develop in games. That's why the d-league exists. Do they JUST develop in games? No. But it's clear that LJC isn't going to get better in France. And what you keep ignoring is that he would just be the next in a long line of players who haven't improved overseas. Bertans hasn't even really improved since he was drafted, and he's their best chance for a success story. They haven't just drafted a bunch of lazy players.

Lol that is absurd. Players put their skills to the test in games and develop confidence maybe -- but they don't work on things and develop their skills in games. True development occurs outside of games, in the summers in the off-season, in the gym before and after practice when no one is watching.

Bertans has busted his ass to get his game back and some every time he's tore his knee. Bertans has work ethic -- he would have been in the NBA a year ago if he didn't tear his knee a second time.

Javtokas was on his way to the NBA -- Spurs did a great job with him til his motorcycle accident.

Ian Mahinmi was developed into a good NBA player.

Tiago Splitter was brought in often after he was drafted and developed from 2007-2009.

Bertans is the next one.

LJC is the only 1st round draft pick Spurs have drafted and stashed overseas that hasn't made the improvements needed within first 3 years to become an NBA player. That can still change, but time is ticking. I blame it on his injury to a degree but most of it is on him. Spurs have one of the best development programs in the entire NBA.

spursistan
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Outside Kawhi, Spurs haven't gotten any meaningful/productive playoffs minutes from their draftees since George Hill...that's 8 years of whiffing now...

Free agency not going to solve everything for this team as it moves on from Big 3 era..need another Danny Green find; another squeezing from reclamation projects in the Diaw mold..etc..

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 12:13 PM
We have bigger problems than our Perimeter D. Our big rotation features the corpse of Timmy, Aldridge, West & Diaw. Aldridge is the only guy who can actually hustle and compete against other good rebounders. Not doubting Timmy's greatness, father time catches up with everyone eventually. West/Diaw don't have the size/athleticism to compete with other legit rebounders.

Our depth and production in our guard rotation is abysmal. Green, Parker, Manu, Mills. Two of those players are over 34 and the two that aren't, can't play as primary ball-handlers. Our offense is being run by corpses and we have basically ZERO athleticism in our guards.

If we're building around Kawhi/Aldridge/Green then the pieces around them need to achieve three things: Spacing, Rebounding, Ball-Handling. The rest will work itself out. Our offense stagnates so badly against tough defenses because we're lacking in those departments. Bad spacing, low second-chance points and lack of players who can create for others = incredibly streaky offense. We live and die by Iso basketball because as ugly as it is: it's still our best option at this point. The problem is we don't have OTHER options, so when the Isolation game isn't clicking, we turn to absolute garbage.

There's only 2 things we need to do this off-season:

1. Get a legitimate center
2. Upgrade our guard rotation
+1 good points.

r0drig0lac
05-17-2016, 12:18 PM

Spurs need Noel, but that is not happening

Chinook
05-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Lol that is absurd. Players put their skills to the test in games and develop confidence maybe -- but they don't work on things and develop their skills in games. True development occurs outside of games, in the summers in the off-season, in the gym before and after practice when no one is watching.

You keep using this greeting-card explanation. It's false. Coaching matters. Game-time matters. The Spurs have lapsed in that area recently, but even they give young guys minutes for them to get up to speed an hone their skills.

Bertans has busted his ass to get his game back and some every time he's tore his knee. Bertans has work ethic -- he would have been in the NBA a year ago if he didn't tear his knee a second time.

And LJC tore up his knee and came back with a better game. Bertans hasn't really added new skills. If anything, he's gotten worse. He went from being Euro Durant to being Novak.

Javtokas was on his way to the NBA -- Spurs did a great job with him til his motorcycle accident.

Spurs paid for his surgery. But Robertas was great before his injury and great after. The Spurs didn't make him. If anything he's another strike against stashing players.

Ian Mahinmi was developed into a good NBA player.

I'm almost convinced you don't watch the NBA if you think the SPURS developed Ian. He has become a good player after 10 years in the league. After he left the Spurs after his third season, he was still a fifth big. Credit Dallas and Indy for making him a starter.

Tiago Splitter was brought in often after he was drafted and developed from 2007-2009.

Had nothing to do with the Spurs. Players like Splitter, Pekovic, Mirotic and Saric were elite prospects who dropped because they were bound in Europe for years. Tiago became a great European player, but he would have been one anyway. Had he been American, he would have been at lottery pick (yes, everyone said it leading up to the draft).

Spurs have one of the best development programs in the entire NBA.

I don't doubt they put money in. I think in general, teams are realizing that stashing players doesn't work. Unless they are already elite prospects, they are only VERY rarely becoming starters. And if they are elite prospects, they are usually worth bringing over immediately. But as far as successes on stashes, I'd say the Nuggets have the Spurs beat handily right now.

NameLess Scrub
05-17-2016, 12:24 PM

Also use Timmy to teach him restraint so he doesn't get upset and fight.

DAF86
05-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Spurs need an explosive guard that can get to the line, hit the three and create looks for others. That is, clearly, the Spurs biggest need, imho.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 12:40 PM
You keep using this greeting-card explanation. It's false. Coaching matters. Game-time matters. The Spurs have lapsed in that area recently, but even they give young guys minutes for them to get up to speed an hone their skills.

And LJC tore up his knee and came back with a better game. Bertans hasn't really added new skills. If anything, he's gotten worse. He went from being Euro Durant to being Novak.

Spurs paid for his surgery. But Robertas was great before his injury and great after. The Spurs didn't make him. If anything he's another strike against stashing players.

I'm almost convinced you don't watch the NBA if you think the SPURS developed Ian. He has become a good player after 10 years in the league. After he left the Spurs after his third season, he was still a fifth big. Credit Dallas and Indy for making him a starter.

Had nothing to do with the Spurs. Players like Splitter, Pekovic, Mirotic and Saric were elite prospects who dropped because they were bound in Europe for years. Tiago became a great European player, but he would have been one anyway. Had he been American, he would have been at lottery pick (yes, everyone said it leading up to the draft).

I don't doubt they put money in. I think in general, teams are realizing that stashing players doesn't work. Unless they are already elite prospects, they are only VERY rarely becoming starters. And if they are elite prospects, they are usually worth bringing over immediately. But as far as successes on stashes, I'd say the Nuggets have the Spurs beat handily right now.

I disagree with a lot of this. I'll just agree to disagree.

Have a lot of work to do today.

Kawhitstorm
05-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Spurs need a backup SF.

Wes Johnson is the best perimeter defender on the market and won't cost a lot.

That perimeter defender probably needs to play the PG spot

You know, there is a guy that checks out all those boxes: Nic Batum aka the French Andre Iguodala.

He can play point forward, rebound, defend, shoot 3s & play alongside Danny/Kawhi. The hard part would be convincing him to come off the bench ala Iggy but maybe his boy LMA, captain Porker & Udoka could help convince him as long as he gets his money: MAX.:lol

There were rumor of PATFO going after Batum when he was an RFA in 2012 when the SF spot was still a question mark w/ rookie Kawhi & Stephen Jackson splitting minutes: http://www.csnnw.com/article/sources-spurs-eyeing-f-nicolas-batum

According to Chris Haynes of Comcast SportsNet Northwest (http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Sources-Spurs-eyeing-F-Nicolas-Batum=1&blockID=695532&feedID=5212), the Spurs will make a "hard push" to land Batum's services.

It makes sense.

As Haynes correctly points out, the Spurs had been prepared to draft Batum in 2008 until the Houston Rockets (http://bleacherreport.com/houston-rockets) surprised everyone by picking the swingman.

"I thought for sure I was headed to San Antonio," Batum told Haynes. "I was talking with Tony (Parker) and the guys and then Houston drafts me out of nowhere."

"The Spurs play well together. They share the ball and do everything the right way," said Batum

jjktkk
05-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Here's my wish list, heavy emphasis on wish: Athletic 7 footer, who can defend, and board. Stretch 4, small ball 5, who can defend. A George Hill type, defensive minded combo G, who can defend both G spots. A legit, backup, SF. Spurs probably won't be able to plug all the holes on their roster, but just to be able to improve the teams overall athleticism, would be a nice start.

K...
05-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Outside Kawhi, Spurs haven't gotten any meaningful/productive playoffs minutes from their draftees since George Hill...that's 8 years of whiffing now...c..

This is a stupid standard to care about. We've drafted outside the lottery and stashed picks; you can't expect much return there. We also brought in free agent rookies like mills and baynes. Both those guys play in the playoffs.

I'm.sorry but in addition to being emo I know consider you dumb.

timtonymanu
05-17-2016, 01:35 PM
I could see Batum coming here with the Udoka/LMA/Parker connection. Not really a fan though. He probably would command more money anyways.

Brian Windhorst
05-17-2016, 02:07 PM
:lol all these threads could be merged into a bring back COJO thread

cd021
05-17-2016, 02:15 PM
isn't Conley a good defender? Having a PG that can legitimately cover his position would be a big help, would allow Leonard to rest a bit more on defense against a least threatening offensive optio while Green takes the tougher assignment.

doobs
05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
The defense is fine. Spurs just need one or two playmakers on offense, preferably shooting guards or small forwards. Got real tired of the dribble, dribble, one pass, ISO offense.

Kawhi or Parker can run the offense from the point. LMA can pick & pop and play in the low post. What's missing are legitimate scoring threats on the wings that move well off the ball, can penetrate, dish, hit threes, etc.

Hoops Czar
05-17-2016, 02:27 PM
You know, there is a guy that checks out all those boxes: Nic Batum aka the French Andre Iguodala.

He can play point forward, rebound, defend, shoot 3s & play alongside Danny/Kawhi. The hard part would be convincing him to come off the bench ala Iggy but maybe his boy LMA, captain Porker & Udoka could help convince him as long as he gets his money: MAX.:lol

There were rumor of PATFO going after Batum when he was an RFA in 2012 when the SF spot was still a question mark w/ rookie Kawhi & Stephen Jackson splitting minutes: http://www.csnnw.com/article/sources-spurs-eyeing-f-nicolas-batum

Yes, he checks all those boxes except the one about the Spurs having a backup SF on the roster, much to everyone's chagrin. KA might be total garbage but, he's all but guaranteed a rotation spot and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Pop giving up on a 1st round draft pick after only 2 years.

K...
05-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Yes, he checks all those boxes except the one about the Spurs having a backup SF on the roster, much to everyone's chagrin. KA might be total garbage but, he's all but guaranteed a rotation spot and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Pop giving up on a 1st round draft pick after only 2 years.

Ka probably has enough trade value. I think the coaching staff might be confused about his ability to pay point forward or pf, They might take a bullet a la Georgie hill, and move him..

GSH
05-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Basketball is still a big man's game. Ultimately, OKC beat the Spurs because they have three legit big men and the Spurs, for all practical purposes, had none. The Spurs got beat in the middle. And I expect the Thunder's success in this post-season to kick off a new big man arms race.

In Game 7 of the Raptor/Heat series, they were crediting the improvement of Bismack Biyombo to him working with Patrick Ewing. The Spurs, to my knowledge, have never "developed" a big man in that way. I said early in the season that the Spurs should bring Fabbs in to work with Boban, and especially to teach him the PnR. I still think so.

I know this will piss off the people who are in love with all things Spurs. But the Spurs, under Pop, have never done a lot to "develop" players. That's sort of the flip side of their incredible W/L record during the Pop era, and all the years they've gone without re-building. There's just not a lot of room for players based on future potential. They have to be able to produce today - tomorrow at the latest.

As for stashing players, I've always hated it. The draft is a talent infusion, and teams that don't get full value from their picks suffer a slow, steady talent drain. There have been some very good players who went late in the first round, and well into the second round. The Spurs committed to a strategy of draft-and-stash, and lost any possibility of landing any of those players. All things considered, I think their overall talent pool (and trade value) would have been higher if they had focused on drafting players, rather than drafting stash-type players. One of the reasons they did that was because they brought back near-intact rosters, and wanted to bring in vets to fill the remaining spots, so they drafted guys who they knew wouldn't be available for several years, when they might have room for them. I think they would have been better off trading picks for future-year picks, or trying to bundle a few to move up a few places in the first round.

I told RC that repeatedly, until he got that damn restraining order.

Chinook
05-17-2016, 02:55 PM
I disagree with a lot of this. I'll just agree to disagree.

Have a lot of work to do today.

I don't mean to sound like I'm taunting you, but it's obvious you haven't been keeping up with the Spurs' prospects. That's fine, but you are assuming character traits about them that make no sense. And no, they haven't had a single player come from overseas and contribute who wasn't already an accomplished player or talented prospect. There are FAR more examples of guys who haven't panned out than those who have, and it's almost offensive that you dismiss all of those based on their characters.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Basketball is still a big man's game. Ultimately, OKC beat the Spurs because they have three legit big men and the Spurs, for all practical purposes, had none. The Spurs got beat in the middle. And I expect the Thunder's success in this post-season to kick off a new big man arms race.

In Game 7 of the Raptor/Heat series, they were crediting the improvement of Bismack Biyombo to him working with Patrick Ewing. The Spurs, to my knowledge, have never "developed" a big man in that way. I said early in the season that the Spurs should bring Fabbs in to work with Boban, and especially to teach him the PnR. I still think so.

I know this will piss off the people who are in love with all things Spurs. But the Spurs, under Pop, have never done a lot to "develop" players. That's sort of the flip side of their incredible W/L record during the Pop era, and all the years they've gone without re-building. There's just not a lot of room for players based on future potential. They have to be able to produce today - tomorrow at the latest.

As for stashing players, I've always hated it. The draft is a talent infusion, and teams that don't get full value from their picks suffer a slow, steady talent drain. There have been some very good players who went late in the first round, and well into the second round. The Spurs committed to a strategy of draft-and-stash, and lost any possibility of landing any of those players. All things considered, I think their overall talent pool (and trade value) would have been higher if they had focused on drafting players, rather than drafting stash-type players. One of the reasons they did that was because they brought back near-intact rosters, and wanted to bring in vets to fill the remaining spots, so they drafted guys who they knew wouldn't be available for several years, when they might have room for them. I think they would have been better off trading picks for future-year picks, or trying to bundle a few to move up a few places in the first round.

I told RC that repeatedly, until he got that damn restraining order.
+1
A lot of truth bombs in your post and I wholeheartedly agree. It's been an amazing ride and I only witnessed the tail end if it but it was amazing how they were able to sustain it without in reality really developing. Kawhi and Danny gave the Spurs a second wind and from there on they dropped the ball continuing to replenish young talent, passing up on guys they could have gotten in the first round who turned out nice roleplayers in the league, to stash. Sometimes the guys they stashed were not even best players available to us by any measure, they were just drafted bc Spurs didn't want to carry their spot, their salary, and Pop the burden to find that guy minutes that allowed him to really develop which he didn't have roster spots for he thought.

I know you and others don't like him, but you better believe they are high on Kyle and love the young man. Tony said in in an interview when Kyle was getting dog housed for a single mistake (later Simmons joined him, no surprise) Tony said that it was really hard for them bc they were not allowed to make mistakes and learn from them since the team was in championship competing mode. That the team drafted Kyle at all when we were looking to repeat, notoriously bringing in the roster to 15 spots told me a lot. Spurs also kept Simmons in a year they really were in championship or bust mode, which tells me they are still high on his potential too. Whether they can realize that is another matter.

The bad aspect of passing up on drafted talent and not develop them locally is that they then spent roster spots on very low ceiling or no ceiling whatsoever players like Daye and Ayers. That could have been LJC or someone younger. It could have been Jamychael Green too, who they worked with since he went undrafted and a player they liked. They could have just drafted J.Green that season. They chose guys like Deshaun Thomas who are really low ceiling and not NBA caliber (6'6" PF, doesn't take a genius to know he would never be rotation caliber player) just bc he agreed to be stashed overseas. For all we know they didn't even want that guy ever to come over.

LJC they did want yo come over, so we should have just brought him in when he was 19 or 20. He could have been a player by now.

look_at_g_shred
05-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Man i want Avery Bradley on this team

GSH
05-17-2016, 03:55 PM
I know you and others don't like him, but you better believe they are high on Kyle and love the young man.

You know what my real problem with KA is? I can't count the number of times, over the years, that I've gotten excited over a "tweener". And every time I swear I won't do it again. The players are all so good in the NBA that guys without a defined role always wind up being second-rate at everything. The VERY few exceptions are so obviously exceptional that everyone knows them when they see them. Kyle isn't one of those guys.

What the hell is KA, anyway? A 6'9" point guard? A "point-forward"? A legit NBA small forward? As long as the Spurs are looking at him as a guy who can potentially do several things, he's going to be a disaster on the court. Why? Because that story always ends the same way.

By the end of the season, I was pretty impressed with his rebounding skills. Personally I think he should focus on the large end of his skill set, and be a specialist rather than a generalist. Hit the weight room, and learn everything he can from Boris Diaw. Improve his 3P shooting. And any ball-handling skills he has are just a bonus for when he has the right match-up, or to help bring the ball up the court when the PG is getting harassed. He's a good passer, but he's not a guy who is going to facilitate the offense. Pursuing that pipe dream is just going to hurt the team, and prevent Anderson from focusing on the areas where he can be successful.

No... that's not the only thing I hate about KA. I hate it that he's listed as a SF, but he's worse than useless on a fast break. If he's got a 3-step clear path to the basket, there's no guarantee that he's going to be able to get to the rim quickly enough to score. If he's part of a 2-on-1, they might as well just pull the ball back out and run their offense. Those are easy points that you never get back.

ernest787
05-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Some of you are delusional. I live in Dallas and listen to the local sports talk and how they all wished they drafted and developed like the Spurs do. The team has been a title contender since 1998. There are years they have been more so than other, but when you are trying to put together championship teams, you have to sacrifice somewhere.

The Spurs aren't a team that has been able to afford taking on a huge tax bill. So they have gone after players that fit specific needs to fill out a team to compete for a title and have had to draft and stash at times to make that work. That said, we have a player on our team right now that isn't 25 years old yet and people legit discuss if he's the best two way player in the league. How did the Spurs acquire him? By taking a player late in the draft that turned out to be a really solid PG and had enough value that the Spurs were able to trade up and draft the future of the franchise.

Sure I'd love the Spurs to be stock full of players in their 20s right now that were ready to step in and take over, but I'll settle for a 24 year old beast to build around over the next couple years.

TD 21
05-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Probably going to be LJC.

There's been zero evidence to suggest he's in the immediate plans and he's getting to the point now where it's fair to question if he ever will be. Even if he were, there's zero chance of him being a rotation player any time soon.

With how reliant they now are on Leonard offensively, they definitely need another perimeter defender, particularly at point guard. They also need said point guard to be able to make plays, push Parker and be capable of at least being a stop gap starter at some point.

I hate to say it, but as I said in another thread a few days ago, so long as Engelland thinks he can be turned into a respectable shooter, it wouldn't surprise me if they go after Carter-Williams. I've never been a fan, but he checks those boxes, they'll be hard pressed to do better and his stock is low enough that he might be able to be had for Mills, 29 and possibly Simmons.

Kawhitstorm
05-17-2016, 04:23 PM

I don't think PATFO will max out Batum/Fournier/Clarkson types nor would they be willing to come off the bench. Most likely scenario:
-Go after Horford & offer him the max.
-Offer MLE to Courtney Lee.
-Trade Diaw/Patty for Teague. (replacement for Horford/Teague:wow)

Unlikely to happen:
-Tony getting traded (See Bonner)
-Maxing out Conley (35 mill invested PG)
-Signing an elite wing (won't come off the bench)
-Pau signing for the vet min like D-Worst:lol

Silver&Black
05-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Spurs need an explosive guard that can get to the line, hit the three and create looks for others.

I think 90% of NBA teams could use "an explosive guard that can get to the line, hit the three and create looks for otheres".

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 04:49 PM
There's been zero evidence to suggest he's in the immediate plans and he's getting to the point now where it's fair to question if he ever will be. Even if he were, there's zero chance of him being a rotation player any time soon.

With how reliant they now are on Leonard offensively, they definitely need another perimeter defender, particularly at point guard. They also need said point guard to be able to make plays, push Parker and be capable of at least being a stop gap starter at some point.

I hate to say it, but as I said in another thread a few days ago, so long as Engelland thinks he can be turned into a respectable shooter, it wouldn't surprise me if they go after Carter-Williams. I've never been a fan, but he checks those boxes, they'll be hard pressed to do better and his stock is low enough that he might be able to be had for Mills, 29 and possibly Simmons.

Agree about LJC, no idea how or why Chinook thinks he can be a rotation player next year..

Conley for Tony Parker in a sign and trade is another that makes sense for both teams, even though I'd be very surprised to see Spurs trading Tony. However, for Stein and others saying the Spurs are going after Conley makes it pretty real to me.

Grizzlies still have some win-now pieces on the roster -- which is why Tony Parker for two years and 30 million makes some sense for the Grizzlies to a degree, considering the alternatives on the market.

If Spurs doctors and front office are not concerned w/ Conley's health, they'll pursue him. Therefore, I'm not too worried IF they do go after him. Conley, if healthy, would fit tremendously next to Leonard and Green.

Whether they can sign and trade for Conley or not, I'd still test the Hawks with a Diaw/Mills for Teague trade.

TD 21
05-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Agree about LJC, no idea how or why Chinook thinks he can be a rotation player next year..

Conley for Tony Parker in a sign and trade is another that makes sense for both teams, even though I'd be very surprised to see Spurs trading Tony. However, for Stein and others saying the Spurs are going after Conley makes it pretty real to me.

Grizzlies still have some win-now pieces on the roster -- which is why Tony Parker for two years and 30 million makes some sense for the Grizzlies to a degree, considering the alternatives on the market.

If Spurs doctors and front office are not concerned w/ Conley's health, they'll pursue him. Therefore, I'm not too worried IF they do go after him. Conley, if healthy, would fit tremendously next to Leonard and Green.

Whether they can sign and trade for Conley or not, I'd still test the Hawks with a Diaw/Mills for Teague trade.

I don't feel Conley is a virtual no shot, like Durant, but I do think he's a long one. Though Spurs material, I think he wants to stay a Grizzly; he just wants them to sell him on a vision of a path to contention in the near future.

Short of that, I've got to think the Pacers would hold appeal. They've needed a legit point guard for a long time, he's from their, it's the East and they've got two good building blocks, in George and Turner.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2016, 05:06 PM
I don't feel Conley is a virtual no shot, like Durant, but I do think he's a long one. Though Spurs material, I think he wants to stay a Grizzly; he just wants them to sell him on a vision of a path to contention in the near future.

Short of that, I've got to think the Pacers would hold appeal. They've needed a legit point guard for a long time, he's from their, it's the East and they've got two good building blocks, in George and Turner.

I think Grizzlies are out of it. I don't think he's going back from the few things I've read. Agree with Pacers though, they'll definitely be appealing to some degree. Spurs have a shot, and I think they're ready to move on from Tony (either by trade or a reduced role by trading for and starting Teague) -- especially if/when Tim and Manu retire.

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 05:15 PM
You know what my real problem with KA is? I can't count the number of times, over the years, that I've gotten excited over a "tweener". And every time I swear I won't do it again. The players are all so good in the NBA that guys without a defined role always wind up being second-rate at everything. The VERY few exceptions are so obviously exceptional that everyone knows them when they see them. Kyle isn't one of those guys.

What the hell is KA, anyway? A 6'9" point guard? A "point-forward"? A legit NBA small forward? As long as the Spurs are looking at him as a guy who can potentially do several things, he's going to be a disaster on the court. Why? Because that story always ends the same way.

By the end of the season, I was pretty impressed with his rebounding skills. Personally I think he should focus on the large end of his skill set, and be a specialist rather than a generalist. Hit the weight room, and learn everything he can from Boris Diaw. Improve his 3P shooting. And any ball-handling skills he has are just a bonus for when he has the right match-up, or to help bring the ball up the court when the PG is getting harassed. He's a good passer, but he's not a guy who is going to facilitate the offense. Pursuing that pipe dream is just going to hurt the team, and prevent Anderson from focusing on the areas where he can be successful.

No... that's not the only thing I hate about KA. I hate it that he's listed as a SF, but he's worse than useless on a fast break. If he's got a 3-step clear path to the basket, there's no guarantee that he's going to be able to get to the rim quickly enough to score. If he's part of a 2-on-1, they might as well just pull the ball back out and run their offense. Those are easy points that you never get back.

Well you won't be convinced until you see it with your own eye, but I owe you a response bc I respect you. I just don't expect to change your mind. With him it's see to believe.

I'll try to keep it simple, he's a team player and will defeat you through team play. Like Pop said, he's a guy that makes everybody better bc he can find them for easy shots in scoring positions. He has the court vision and that's an innate talent.

Kyle's game is not about him, it's about his teammates and how he can set them up for easy shots or find them. He needs an athletic wing partner like Simmons, I think Simms was specifically retained bc the two guys complement each other. He also needs a big who can score inside bc he's capable of drawing the help and create a more efficient shot for someone else, other than for himself.

In UCLA he had Zach Lavine and Norman Powell, freak athletes to run a fast break and he was super successful finding them through passes. In the dleague and SL he had Simmons, who got no shortage of easy baskets out of lobs Kyle set him up for or finding him cutting. In both teams he had shooters. Mills and Bertans would fit nicely around Kyle and Simmons. If they could defend they would be fine, which is why Pop's foci with both was basically defense. It was the one non-negotiable for Pop per RC explicit words. For Kyle to get in the rotation, he had to improve defensively and I believe the same goes for Simmons.

Kyle will create shots finding guys in scoring position. You would think that's nothing but look at our own offense. There are easy shots we miss out on often bc of inadequate quality passing in certain lineups. You always leave points on the board if you can't find your top dogs/scorers in easy spots. Those are shots that would not be there for any of those guys if you didn't have guys who could find them and Manu and TD, arguably our best passers are retiring, Diaw has a foot out the door too. So Spurs had to replenish that void and Kyle is his own guy, nit a replica to any as those guys have no equal.

From there on, Spurs were not going to take the ball out of Manu's hands to give it to him but they will in the future bc they need someone and he has that talent. He's ran very efficient offenses if you allow him to make plays with the ball but that's not how he was played this season, so CoA forgives you bc he's very young and new at this level + adapting to this level takes time for everyone. He's learning to play off the ball too, the Spurs system is not designed for any one player to be so ball dominant, Pop wants the balk to move, but your elite passers are able to find scoring opportunities early in transition b4 defenses are set.

Ultimately, you focus too much on what he's not and not on how he can help the team. Remember this next season: he's a guy that will defeat others through team play. He can run a fast break well enough if someone runs it along with him looking to be set up. UCLA were 12th in O Rt and pace in the country with him running the show, but you didn't watch him there or in the dleague. He needs guys like Simmons to set up which is why I think Spurs know what they are doing with him it will just take time to see it develop bc he's not in a system that uses his skills well when he is with Manu, nor does he complement Manu well bc Manu needs shooters and scorers of his own and he's a reluctant shooter himself (something I agree he needs work on).

dbestpro
05-17-2016, 05:24 PM
I don't think Spurs fans realize how lucky their team is to have two elite perimeter defenders. Most teams can't say anything like that.
That is one of the big problems with the NBA. No defense learned. No defense allowed. No defense played.

palangi
05-17-2016, 05:34 PM
A trade back into the second round to take prince Ibeh might be an option.

that and go sign Joakim Noah.

Kawhitstorm
05-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Agree with Pacers though, they'll definitely be appealing to some degree.

Conley is from Indiana & they tried to trade G.Hill for Teague so they are definitely looking for an upgrade at that position although he hasn't been that much better than Hill the past 2 seasons.:lol

r0drig0lac
05-17-2016, 05:57 PM
I think 100% of NBA teams could use "an explosive guard that can get to the line, hit the three and create looks for otheres".

05-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Neither is Kyle Anderson but that doesn't seem to stop Pop from playing him.

K...
05-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Neither is Kyle Anderson but that doesn't seem to stop Pop from playing him.

kyle is nba brains, college body, Livio is NBA body, college level brains. Kyle is still growing, Livio though.....

rasuo214
05-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Kyle Anderson needs to bulk up so he can play more of the 4.

IMO realistic FA targets are guys like Barnes, Mahinmi maybe take a chance on some like Gordon/Green/Stephenson.

Obviously go after Conley and Horford as well (Durant is a pipe dream).

YGWHI
05-17-2016, 06:30 PM
isn't Conley a good defender? Having a PG that can legitimately cover his position would be a big help, would allow Leonard to rest a bit more on defense against a least threatening offensive optio while Green takes the tougher assignment.

I'd like to see Conley in a Spurs uniform but Pop won't bench Parker for him. Parker's contract is too expensive -in term of Spurs' cap- to have him coming off the bench.

Anyway, we didn't lose this series because our perimeter defense. It was more on the lack of rebounding, and good performances from our role players.

A young, athletic PF/C who can rebound will be an upgrade over DWest and Boris. And decent shooting-guard on the bench wouldn't kill us...

rasuo214
05-17-2016, 07:22 PM
I'd like to see Conley in a Spurs uniform but Pop won't bench Parker for him. Parker's contract is too expensive -in term of Spurs' cap- to have him coming off the bench.

Anyway, we didn't lose this series because our perimeter defense. It was more on the lack of rebounding, and good performances from our role players.

A young, athletic PF/C who can rebound will be an upgrade over DWest and Boris. And decent shooting-guard on the bench wouldn't kill us...

Manu was making $10+m coming off the bench. So Parker's contract shouldn't be a big issue in determining whether or not he should come off the bench, especially with the cap increase.

Namundy
05-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Harrison Barnes?

Namundy
05-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Wow I didn't realize Batum was only 27. He would be great. Bazemore another potential guy?

cjw
05-17-2016, 07:43 PM
The Spurs have two of the top defensive wings in the league. Let's see if they can uncover another diamond in the rough like they did with Green who can also shoot.

Oh, and on Kawhi...

Players to have finished first or second in MVP voting and get DPOY in same year:
Kawhi (2016)
Dwight (2011)
Mourning (1999)
Hakeem (1993 and 1994)
Jordan (1988)

(Garnett was third when he won with Boston)

Multiple DPOY:
Eaton
Howard
Kawhi
Moncrief (the only non-big besides Kawhi)
Mourning
Mutombo
Hakeem
The Worm
Wallace

cjw
05-17-2016, 07:47 PM
Wow I didn't realize Batum was only 27. He would be great. Bazemore another potential guy?

Is Batum $22.5 million per year to start off with and $96+ million over four years good?

Bazemore is also going to get paid eight figures or close to it.

Chances are Spurs won't have more than the MLE, so let's be realistic here.

palangi
05-17-2016, 07:53 PM
Is Batum $22.5 million per year to start off with and $96+ million over four years good?

It could be realistic if Duncan and Manu retire. Then Tony and Diaw are traded. Plus remember the the cap is going up significantly too.

YGWHI
05-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Manu was making $10+m coming off the bench. So Parker's contract shouldn't be a big issue in determining whether or not he should come off the bench, especially with the cap increase.
You're right. But IMO Pop isn't ready to bench Parker.
He's still too reliant on him, having Kawhi/LMA on the team, he called a play for Parker to close a crucial playoffs game this year, and the Spurs lost game 5.

tholdren
05-17-2016, 08:09 PM
kyle is nba brains, college body, Livio is NBA body, college level brains. Kyle is still growing, Livio though.....
worst post ever

cjw
05-17-2016, 09:05 PM
It could be realistic if Duncan and Manu retire. Then Tony and Diaw are traded. Plus remember the the cap is going up significantly too.

You forget the part that the only way Batum signs here is if the other Frenchies stay. Too many moving pieces for that to ever happen. Next.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-17-2016, 09:10 PM

Kawhi and Danny are two of the best in the NBA.

We have more urgent needs at PG and C, especially someone who can hoover some boards.

BSfromTX
05-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Need
1 playmaker/passer that can setup others (as close to prime Manu as u can get)

2 rebounder

3 shot blocker

spurtech09
05-17-2016, 09:53 PM
PG that can get the Job done....

spurtech09
05-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Kyle Anderson needs to bulk up so he can play more of the 4.

IMO realistic FA targets are guys like Barnes, Mahinmi maybe take a chance on some like Gordon/Green/Stephenson.

Obviously go after Conley and Horford as well (Durant is a pipe dream).Horford would be my choice......I have a feeling Conley will stay in Memphis .

DAF86
05-17-2016, 09:57 PM
I think 90% of NBA teams could use "an explosive guard that can get to the line, hit the three and create looks for otheres".

About 90% of the NBA has that. Some teams even have 2 or 3 of them. We are a contender and don't have anything close to that. Huge handicap.

cd021
05-18-2016, 03:43 AM

Alot rides on West and Duncan.

-If West opts in to his $1.5 million
-Ducan retires, wiping his $6.4 million off the books
-The cap is $92 million
-Spurs move Diaw without taking back salary or much salary ( I suggest Diaw and Mills to N.O.P for their two picks in the 39th and 40th picks)

Spurs could clear out something like $17.7 million (21.2 if the Spurs move both Diaw and Mills)

Chinook
05-18-2016, 06:17 AM

Until they give up his rights, it's his decision on whether he wants to be an NBA player. The Spurs don't get to tell him to stay in Europe if he wants that $2 Million guaranteed. Jean-Charles had to sign the waiver last year to give the Spurs their cap space. I don't think he'll keep doing that, especially if he's lazy like MaNuTres keeps wanting to assume he is. As far as him being a rotation player, he doesn't have to be. The Spurs don't need a defensive specialist in their rotation. They just need one there for situational defense.

Or they could just stop being so reliant on Leonard for offense. That's much easier to accomplish than your suggestion of finding a PG who doesn't really exist right now. It's insane that people would even consider having Leonard not play defense. It would be like having DeAndre or Drummond focus on shooting threes.

The Spurs better not trade their pick for MCW. They need rotation players and prospects. I'm not a fan of Simmons, really, but Mills for MCW is almost a wash, and they still need to hit on 29 to pick up a fifth guard who could develop into a starter. If they can get him for something else, maybe. But he doesn't check any boxes other than he can play man defense.

The Spurs should have $13-20 Million in cap space this summer. They afford to get a scorer and a rebounder. They certainly don't need to double-down on having LMA be a jump-shooter and dedicating a large share of team resources to Kawhiso plays.

Chinook
05-18-2016, 06:20 AM

If we're assuming the Spurs have the MLE, they'll be returning their roster from this season. That's actually not very realistic. But if that's the case, then the Spurs will be trying to make trades rather than signing free agents. I don't see many MLEs being used until after the moratorium, or if they are it will be to re-sign guys like Boban or West.

Chinook
05-18-2016, 06:23 AM
Alot rides on West and Duncan.

-If West opts in to his $1.5 million
-Ducan retires, wiping his $6.4 million off the books
-The cap is $92 million
-Spurs move Diaw without taking back salary or much salary ( I suggest Diaw and Mills to N.O.P for their two picks in the 39th and 40th picks)

Spurs could clear out something like $17.7 million (21.2 if the Spurs move both Diaw and Mills)

West opting in is bad for everyone. If he's willing to stay for the minimum, he should just opt out and re-sign for that amount.

George Gervin's Afro
05-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Spurs need a couple of players who can create their own shot...

still.focused
05-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Most teams barely have half a perimeter defender
Spurs have 2 of the best and I just read we should be looking for up to 2 more?
This place is just....off

YGWHI
05-18-2016, 02:35 PM
The Spurs should have $13-20 Million in cap space this summer. They afford to get a scorer and a rebounder. They certainly don't need to double-down on having LMA be a jump-shooter and dedicating a large share of team resources to Kawhiso plays.
The scorer should be a PG/SG since our backcourt didn't provide enough points this season, but Pop isn't ready to bench Parker, and with Danny coming off the bench that means Kawhi will be the only perimeter defender in the SL.

Having Kawhi and Danny, both on the court, the perimeter defense isn't an issue, but if Pop will bench Danny for offense, better that scorer play decent D.

YGWHI
05-18-2016, 02:40 PM
So the Spurs need a rebounder and a two-way guard or...a young big who can consistently score and rebound.

SD126
05-18-2016, 03:02 PM

Best to stay away from him tbh.

TD 21
05-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Until they give up his rights, it's his decision on whether he wants to be an NBA player. The Spurs don't get to tell him to stay in Europe if he wants that $2 Million guaranteed. Jean-Charles had to sign the waiver last year to give the Spurs their cap space. I don't think he'll keep doing that, especially if he's lazy like MaNuTres keeps wanting to assume he is. As far as him being a rotation player, he doesn't have to be. The Spurs don't need a defensive specialist in their rotation. They just need one there for situational defense.

You always say this, but the reality is, it's always mutual. I don't ever recall a player coming over that a team didn't want to.

Wrong. They need to find a point guard that can take a turn guarding the dynamic/physically imposing ones.

Or they could just stop being so reliant on Leonard for offense. That's much easier to accomplish than your suggestion of finding a PG who doesn't really exist right now. It's insane that people would even consider having Leonard not play defense. It would be like having DeAndre or Drummond focus on shooting threes.

Sounds great, but explain to me how they'll go about doing that? They lack a go to play maker and that more than likely isn't changing anytime soon.

It's not about him "not playing defense", it's about not always having to have him defend primary scorers and not having to resort to Parker/Mills when he doesn't.

The Spurs better not trade their pick for MCW. They need rotation players and prospects. I'm not a fan of Simmons, really, but Mills for MCW is almost a wash, and they still need to hit on 29 to pick up a fifth guard who could develop into a starter. If they can get him for something else, maybe. But he doesn't check any boxes other than he can play man defense.

:lol At the odds of 29 becoming a starter. Even in the unlikely event it does, when? They're trying to remain in contention now and they have limited assets/cap space with which to work. I'm not suggesting handing it away, but if they can get a younger, more established piece (whoever that may be), they need to be open to it.

You don't need to sell me on why they shouldn't trade for Carter-Williams; I was playing devil's advocate.

SAGirl
05-18-2016, 03:56 PM
When Manu was making that Danny was very cheap. It wasn't like we had two super expensive SG at the same time.